homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Could Someone Explain Common Worship to Me?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Could Someone Explain Common Worship to Me?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not Anglican and do not live in England, but I am a Liturgy freak and this stuff keeps me up at night! Could someone explain what the most commonly used options are for the Eucharist in Common Worship, including which general forms (rites?) for the service are used most often by which type of congregation, and which Eucharistic Prayers? Also, which options are used most often by Aff Caths, Trad Caths, Open Evos, and Con Evos? I am trying to get a sense of how a "typical" (if such a thing exists) C of E Eucharist service using CW is different from a typical Episcopal Church service using the 1979 BCP.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a quick question then [Biased]

I can't answer in terms of statistics, but my church is AffCath and uses CW Order I, Eucharistic prayer B. A previous conservative evangelical church of mine used CW Order I, Eucharistic prayer H. I don't think I've ever encountered an Order II service.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most parishes of Central and Catholic Churchmanships will use some form of CW Order 1 in modern language for the main Sunday Eucharist. My home parish, which was Sunnyside of Central and has drift AffCath under the present incumbant. They tend to use Prayers A, B, C, E and G most often, and occasionally uses D and F, and only ever used H by accident. However, some out-and-out Trad. Catholic shacks will use the Roman Rite.

I find Evangelical parishes tend to use the A Service of the Word format more than Central Churchmanship parishes - say twice a month as opposed to one a month. When they do the Eucharist they are far more likely to use Prayer H than Central or Catholic leaning Churches.

Order Two in Trad Language tends to be a 1662 substitute for the early Sunday, or midweek, celebration in Central Churchmanship parishes. Order Two in modern language would tend to be the preserve of a few very Con. Evo. places.

Order One in Traditional Language seems to be the preserve of a certain type of High Church parish - usually ones with good music programme and a well established repetoire of favourite settings that favours Trad. Lang..

1662 Evensong hangs on in a lot of places that still have an evening service, though it gets rare the closer to the two ends you get in Churchmanship terms. 1662 Matins is getting to be a bit of a rare bird outside of cathedrals, and if I am offered that option I always take it as I fear I may never see it again!

Hope this helps,
PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
I am not Anglican and do not live in England, but I am a Liturgy freak and this stuff keeps me up at night!

This may be a little frivolous for the august portals of Eccles, but therapy and/or surgery may be easier than understanding the mysteries of Common Worship.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stonespring, it is a mistake to assume Eucharistic prayers must go with churchpersonship. A lot of churches use different ones in different seasons.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
MosesTT
Apprentice
# 17672

- Posted      Profile for MosesTT   Email MosesTT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had a quick look at the prayer book used in the Church in Wales - in the explanatory notes it says which prayer is more suitable for what congregation, the criteria for what a congregation is ranges from age to "churchpersonship"...

Here's my spanner into the works: yes there is aright way to liturgically do things and it is great to know all this BUT does it matter?

Posts: 4 | From: Wales | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use Prayer C. Only Prayer C. Tractarian with ritualist influences.

At a previous shack, of a similar (if more V2 tradition - floppy chasubles, central altar, etc.) bent, there was more variety. It was either one of the Missal Prayers or B or G and possibly A.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Kayarecee
Apprentice
# 17289

- Posted      Profile for Kayarecee   Email Kayarecee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From another confused non-English non-Anglican, another question about CW...

There's been a lot of references to Order One and Order Two, in different flavors of language, but I don't know that anyone's ever clarified what those Orders are.

My understanding, gleaned from context, is that Order One is a rite shaped more-or-less like the "Western Rite" shared by Rome and many liturgical denominations who aren't Rome, including the US Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, while Order Two is a rite shaped similarly, although not identically, to the 1622 rite, and that both of these are available in "traditional" and "modern" language.

Do I have that correct, or did I get the Orders backward? And is it just the Eucharistic part that gets that treatment, or are the Offices and pastoral services and whatnot also done that way?

Posts: 25 | From: The Cornfields | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here. http://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/worship/texts.aspx

Fill yer boots.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a lot of scare stories about how there are so many options that it's not actually 'Common' Worship. In practice, most Cof E eucharists - irrespective of churchpersonship - follow the same structure (i.e. CW order 1, and usually modern language). There is more convergence between 'high' and 'low' than there ever was in the days of English Missal vs. BCP Mattins.

The major difference is between the churches with an overtly 'family-friendly' eucharist and those that are more formal. Probably the former are more likely to be evangelical, but not exclusively, and will often use eucharistic prayers D or H. These are the two prayers less common in more traditional churches, not I suspect because of their theology but because of their odd format.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason CW can seem so complicated * is because it reflects the variety in the styles and details of C of E worship and be responsive to the experience of worshipping communities.

* It is no more complicated than many technical manuals. You would expect an aircraft pilot to know the contents of the manual for his plane. Why is it unreasonable to expect someone responsible for worship to be familiar with CW?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
* It is no more complicated than many technical manuals. You would expect an aircraft pilot to know the contents of the manual for his plane. Why is it unreasonable to expect someone responsible for worship to be familiar with CW?

Agreed, and I have similar thoughts in another online forum wherein I occasionally have to cite a page number in the BCP 1979 for a U.S. Episcopal priest (known to no one here) who is unaware of a basic rubric or prayer.
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So this thread sent (non-English, non-Anglican) me scurrying to look at CW and on p. 335 I found this extremely curious rubric:
quote:
In Order Two, but not in Order Two in Contemporary Language, the breaking of the bread may be deferred until the Agnus Dei.
Why would an option regarding structure be dependent on the linguistic idiom? It would be like having a rubric in the Novus Ordo saying that the kiss of piece could be moved to before the Preparation of the Gifts when Mass was celebrated in Latin, but not when it was celebrated in English.

Thoughts?

[ 16. May 2013, 14:05: Message edited by: FCB ]

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's in contemporary English, you can't pretend to the punters that it's the BCP. If it were the BCP, they'd expect the breaking to be during the Canon.

Thurible

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
If it's in contemporary English, you can't pretend to the punters that it's the BCP. If it were the BCP, they'd expect the breaking to be during the Canon.

Maybe I'm just not following, but if that were the reason, wouldn't the rubric be the opposite of what it is (i.e. you could move the fraction when it was in contemporary language, but not in traditional)?

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

You're right; I misread it. Apologies. (I was guessing anyhow!)

Thurible

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayarecee:
From another confused non-English non-Anglican, another question about CW...

There's been a lot of references to Order One and Order Two, in different flavors of language, but I don't know that anyone's ever clarified what those Orders are.

My understanding, gleaned from context, is that Order One is a rite shaped more-or-less like the "Western Rite" shared by Rome and many liturgical denominations who aren't Rome, including the US Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, while Order Two is a rite shaped similarly, although not identically, to the 1622 rite, and that both of these are available in "traditional" and "modern" language.

Do I have that correct, or did I get the Orders backward? And is it just the Eucharistic part that gets that treatment, or are the Offices and pastoral services and whatnot also done that way?

No, you are absolutely correct.

As to the offices, it's a bit complicated. Traditional-minded protestants will use the BCP offices; extreme Anglo-Catholics will use the Roman Breviary; moderate Anglo-Catholics will use the CW provision. In my relatively limited experience of Evangelical churches, I have never come across regular prayer of the office.

Ultimately, the Church of England provides A Service of the Word. It's quite hard to design a service that isn't permitted by this provision.

Marriage and funeral rites exist in three forms: the BCP forms, the Common Worship forms, and the "Series One" forms, which are those proposed and rejected in 1928 and authorised as the first stage of the series of rites that led to the ASB and ultimately to Common Worship. The marriage service is particularly popular: it was the one used for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding.

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the input so far - very interesting and much appreciated.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
In my relatively limited experience of Evangelical churches, I have never come across regular prayer of the office.

It happens. Frequently. Whether it is the norm I can't say, but I'm sure clergy in training are told it is, and of the canonical obligation.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Order 2 is also used by Anglo Catholics who like the olde world language of the BCP, but not its protestant tendencies.

I know a church which used Order 2 with a full Tridentine setting (incense, Eastward facing, etc.) The order of the elements of the mass are the same as Order 1 (with the pax before the Eucharistic Prayer.)

And they have BCP Evensong with Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

I'm afraid that language is often more of an issue in the C of E than content.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

St George's, Leeds, have daily morning prayer, based on CW, even if they call it Morning Prayers, so that it doesn't sound as if they're obeying the canons!

Thurible

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Order 2 is also used by Anglo Catholics who like the olde world language of the BCP, but not its protestant tendencies.

Do you mean Order 1 in trad language?

Thurible

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:

Do you mean Order 1 in trad language?

Thurible

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

You are quite right, thurible. They are using Order 1 in "trad" language.

I do try not to be obsessed with liturgy, honestly, so it looks like I'm succeeding. I was confused because the Eucharistic Prayer used is the one nearest to BCP "interim" rite.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
St George's, Leeds, have daily morning prayer, based on CW, even if they call it Morning Prayers, so that it doesn't sound as if they're obeying the canons!

Thurible

So the haven't changed from when I lived round the corner from there.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thurible

Careful. I got called to Hell some time back for using 'punters' - whoever it was said it was demeaning to compare worshippers to gamblers.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

I've never been called to Hell. Hmm. Punters.

Thurible

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
In my relatively limited experience of Evangelical churches, I have never come across regular prayer of the office.

It happens. Frequently. Whether it is the norm I can't say, but I'm sure clergy in training are told it is, and of the canonical obligation.
Yes, my post was ambiguous. I meant that I didn't know what was typical, rather than that I thought not doing it was typical.

(edited to finish the post accidentally submitted)

[ 16. May 2013, 16:34: Message edited by: Basilica ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our PP does stick to the Canon (C24 (1)) but is something of a rarity these days IME.

We've been fortunate in having wardens who live very close to the church for the past few years and they, and a couple of others, try to ensure that at least one other person is always in church to say the offices with him.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Our PP does stick to the Canon (C24 (1)) but is something of a rarity these days IME.

We've been fortunate in having wardens who live very close to the church for the past few years and they, and a couple of others, try to ensure that at least one other person is always in church to say the offices with him.

Hi L'Organist,

Could you explain what you meant by the Canon (C24 (1))?

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
quote:

Maybe I'm just not following, but if that were the reason, wouldn't the rubric be the opposite of what it is (i.e. you could move the fraction when it was in contemporary language, but not in traditional)?
Order Two in Traditional Language covers the so-called 'Interim Rite' which fogeys of various ages - self included - celebrate when confronted with the 1662 in a fairly High Church context. What usually happens is that the Summary of the Law and/or the ninefold Kyrie is substituted for the Decalogue, and the Prayer of Oblation is moved to follow that of Consecration. The more Missally places will usually expect the celebrant to then follow the oblation with the Lord's Prayer, then the Pax and Fraction and finally the Agnus Dei before Communion.

The only folks likely to use Order Two in modern language are Evangelicals anyway. Anyone from Low side of central upwards is far more likely (read almost certain) to use Order One for a modern language service. Therefore it is unnecessary to make provision for the fraction to be moved to its ancient place.

As far as I can recollect, the only place I have ever celebrated the old BCP rite straight was in Ireland when the 1926 BCP was still in effect. The Evangelicals on the right hand island tend to get a bit bent out of shape if you follow 1662 BCP as written as they do not appreciate the exhortations. Some also get a bit cranky about the Bread and Wine being left on the Table during the Prayer of Oblation. [brick wall]
PD

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
Hi L'Organist,

Could you explain what you meant by the Canon (C24 (1))?

C 24 Of priests having a cure of souls

1. Every priest having a cure of souls shall provide that, in the absence of reasonable hindrance, Morning and Evening Prayer daily and on appointed days the Litany shall be said in the church, or one of the churches, of which he is the minister.

From The Canons of the Church of England

[ 17. May 2013, 01:33: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well ours does say the offices - but seeing as there are more churches than clergy and they do not live near any of the churches. The daily office tends to be where the clergy are rather than in church.

The idea of it being said in church - is only possible in a one vicar one church model.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:

The idea of it being said in church - is only possible in a one vicar one church model.

How so? In the case where you have one priest and two or three churches, the requirement is clearly that the priest must ensure that Morning and Evening Prayer are said in one of his churches each day. That's explicitly in the text.

I don't know exactly how to apply that to a team ministry. In a team ministry, the cure of souls is shared by all the team vicars, so I would guess that the team are jointly and severally required to ensure that the offices are said in one of the team's churches. I don't think a priest saying the office in his house can qualify.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:

You mean lay people don't want to say the offices? It's quite possible for a rota to be set up so that every church is prayed in regularly.

I'd never read the canon thoroughly before and always assumed it was just an obligation on the clergy to say the offices. It clearly means more than that: it's an obligation on the clergy to ensure that the offices are said publicly. That might not always be practical, or even a useful pastoral strategy, these days; but the principle is there and it would ensure that church buildings are used for their proper purpose irrespective of the presence or availability of clergy.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You mean lay people don't want to say the offices? It's quite possible for a rota to be set up so that every church is prayed in regularly.

Ours are led mostly by lay officiants and a nun. Do try to recruit enough officiants that those serving don't feel like they've committed for the rest of their lives (unless one wants to). We officiants at our parish have been keeping the Office said daily for years now. Anyone want to come and help? I pray for new officiants regularly.
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

One of the small local parishes was a three church group, and the Rector would say the Offices in the church nearest the Rectory. I seem to think the acustomed hours were 10am and 5pm.

My home parish maintained a 9.15am/4.30pm schedule for years, though in earlier times 7.30am/5.30pm, 10am/5.30pm and 10am and 7pm had been the accustomed times. The 9.15am/4.30pm routine was not wholly unconnected with the fact that in his early days the Vicar had had kids to deposit and collect from a School on the other side of town.

PD

[ 18. May 2013, 04:14: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'd never read the canon thoroughly before and always assumed it was just an obligation on the clergy to say the offices. It clearly means more than that: it's an obligation on the clergy to ensure that the offices are said publicly. That might not always be practical, or even a useful pastoral strategy, these days; but the principle is there and it would ensure that church buildings are used for their proper purpose irrespective of the presence or availability of clergy.

There is also a separate requirement in the Canons for the clergy (irrespective of having cure of souls) to say the Office daily: C26.1.

C24 only applies to those having a cure - so incumbents.

T

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016