homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hymns in foreign languages (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hymns in foreign languages
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the main service this morning, our youth choirs sang various bits of music, and it was all wonderful.

But one of the songs they sang was in Xhosa. It sounded great, and the kids obviously enjoyed singing it, but, and how can I put this, our parish is not exactly overrun with speakers of Xhosa. They had learned the song phonetically, and most had no idea of the meaning of the words - they could have been singing "two pints of milk and a dozen eggs" for all they knew.

This makes me feel uneasy, and I don't know whether it should.

I think there are two sources of my unease. The first is singing words you don't understand. I have this concern to a lesser extent about the use of hymns in Latin - a lesser extent, because I think many people are familiar enough with the Latin used in the church over the years to get the gist, even if they haven't had formal instruction in Latin.

The second is the patronizing cultural tourism angle - are we just singing in an African language because we think it's cool? From this angle, the use of Latin is innocent, as Latin is certainly part of the cultural heritage of anyone descended from Western Europeans, but a room full of white faces singing in Xhosa?

Oh, and the third - given that nobody speaks Xhosa, how does anyone know that the pronunciation is accurate?

What thinks the panel?

[ 03. June 2013, 06:25: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Oh, and the third - given that nobody speaks Xhosa, how does anyone know that the pronunciation is accurate?

IN case it wasn't clear, nobody at our church speaks Xhosa. Clearly lots of people in South Africa do speak Xhosa...
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We often sings choruses in Xhosa, and many other languages. We do this to express solidarity with our Christian brothers and sisters around the world. But then, we do actually have speakers of Xhosa in our church (the last time I saw a random language count in a service there were 22 nationalities in the congregation on around 250). In most songs there are also English verses as a translation.
But an interesting question if there are no native speakers. I am guessing the youth were taught the translation as well so they would know the meaning? Presumably they were singing a song from a reputable source which also discussed pronounciation? Certainly the singing wouldn't bother me. I enjoy singing in other languages despite my lack of foreign language skills.
My knowledge of latin is limited to medical and plant terminology and everyday phrases used in English - my church does not use Latin. Yet I love to listen to choral music in Latin and my lack of understanding does not seem to prevent my enjoyment or my understanding of it giving glory to God. But I also listen to CDs of African praise and Ladysmith Black Mambazo so perhaps I am not representative.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
In the main service this morning, our youth choirs sang various bits of music, and it was all wonderful.

But one of the songs they sang was in Xhosa... What thinks the panel?

We've done things like this occasionally at our church, usually as part of a youth / children focus on a certain country. I remember once or twice we've sung songs or learnt Bible passages in the language they speak at churches or projects that our church has links with. I think that's a nice way of developing empathy and solidarity.

What was the point of singing a song in Xhosa, specifically? Where the young people learning about a country / region where Xhosa is spoken or was it chosen for aesthetic reasons? (I'm not sure if this particularly matters, btw; I don't have a strong view either way at the moment!)

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, that's an interesting one. I've only encountered the use of African languages in churches where there is at least one speaker of the language in question (who can presumably make sure the choir don't accidentally mispronounce words in a way that makes them mean anything rude).

I'm also guessing that a translation is provided in the service booklet? If not, that would seem quite remiss.

Having said that, I've heard parts of Rachmaninov's Vespers and suchlike sung in churches with no Russians...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did the young people do with the clicks?

I'm less troubled by getting one's young people to sing in Xhosa. It might inspire their imaginations to realise they have Christian brothers and sisters who live far away and live different lives. I'm more irritated by those who insist on singing choral Mass settings in Latin or the 'Oh, my dear, we only sing Silent Night in the original German' brigade. It frequently (possibly universally) represents pride.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I'm more irritated by those who insist on singing choral Mass settings in Latin

I can understand being irritated - if that's not your style - by choral rather than congregational Mass settings. Granted though that in some contexts it is appropriate, Latin gives you a much better choice of repertoire. There are few choral settings, in modern or Tudor English, that measure up to the great classic Latin Mass settings. Why else do you think even the most 'protestant' of our English cathedrals regularly sing in Latin?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As some one working with multiple languages in worship often, I've found the following helps:

1) Always give a translation of anything not in the main language of the congregation.

2) If not sure how a song should go find it on-line and listen. And I do try to get 2 or 3 sources for this.

3) As said it is part of showing the wider part of the church, and when done like this can help see there is more than us here in this place now.

I'll get off my hobby horse now before I go on to long...

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
... Why else do you think even the most 'protestant' of our English cathedrals regularly sing in Latin?

Because the professional musicians have hijacked the repertoire?

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
I've only encountered the use of African languages in churches where there is at least one speaker of the language in question (who can presumably make sure the choir don't accidentally mispronounce words in a way that makes them mean anything rude).

But if there's no-one there from that language, mistakes don't matter as nobody will know that the choir has unintentionally said a naughty word.

Of course, if you stream your services or have them available on your website, that's a different matter ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as pronunciation is concerned, I believe that as a rule African languages have been rendered into roman script more or less phonetically, although of course you still have to know any pronunciation peculiar to that language, for example any particular letters or digraphs (th particularly comes to mind) being assigned to different sounds from English, and requirements of tone.

I think it is wise to provide translations in some shape or form, be it read or written, and preferably literal rather than the awful paraphrases we end up singing - when I did Grade 5 singing we didn't even consider doing Panis Angelicus in the truly awful English version provided.

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite often the ones in English might as well be in a foreign bleedin' language.

"...potentate of time, creator of the rolling spheres, ineffably sublime."

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard the 'solidarity' line used before: but what about solidarity with our brothers and sisters somewhere less 'exotic'?

Rough rule of thumb I work by is that all hymns, canticles and psalms should be in English; settings mainly in English - apart from the Kyrie of course; any anthem or motet in any unfamiliar language should have a translation available at the time.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I've heard the 'solidarity' line used before: but what about solidarity with our brothers and sisters somewhere less 'exotic'?

Sure, let's do that too! Mission trips, prayer partnerships and the like can be just as fruitful and inspiring with Christians in the same country as they can with those in exotic, far-flung places.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only come across something being spoken in a language not regularly used by anybody present once, a couple of years ago.

Our church had, each week for seven in a row, a part of the service dedicated to celebrating one of our cross-cultural ministries and one of our local ministries. We would have a video (one of them live via Skype) or live interview from the cross-cultural side, an audio recording of a local person in that culture reciting 1 Corinthians 12:12-20 in their language, the talk or video from the local side and then everyone standing to recite the English version of the scripture together.

The main point behind including the scriptures in the other languages was that it all built up to that 'routine' being broken in the last week. Instead of an audio recording as there had been the first six weeks, there was just an explanation that the Bible had not yet been translated into that language and that this was to be the purpose of the next "above and beyond" offering fund.

It was a very effective method of setting up the lack of a translation as it being something important to a group of people important to us, rather than just an impersonal statistic of xxx many languages not having the Bible which we've all heard repeated many times.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why not both? Many churches belong to local and regional interchurch groups where they join together for missions and prayer partnerships.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... Why else do you think even the most 'protestant' of our English cathedrals regularly sing in Latin?

And possibly because there are those in the congregation who like it (and can even understand the Latin!), and have said so.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rough rule of thumb I work by is that all hymns, canticles and psalms should be in English; settings mainly in English - apart from the Kyrie of course; any anthem or motet in any unfamiliar language should have a translation available at the time.

[Devil's Advocate] So why is Greek exempt (and as a matter of course) but Latin (which is even more a part of our Western heritage) not? Are English Protestants better friends with Messrs. Liddell & Scott than they are with Lewis & Short? [/Devil's Advocate]

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afraid I would not be in favour of using non English hymns unless your congregation has a large group of whichever group other language group the hymns are in.
As for Mass settings , my parish , Anglican Church of Canada , has over several Christmas Eve's used, French, German and Latin settings. IMHO not that great of an idea , however it adds to the majesty of the occassion, at the cost of congregational participation . Our still fairly new hymnal has texts ins Inuit,Cree French as well as English. Not that we used those texts , we being a very English speaking group but if I was in the high Artic well the Inuit text would fit. [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In honour of Corpus Christi, yesterday we (the congregation) sang Laudate Dominum in Latin. Our National Anthem which, from time to time, is sung in Church is in French and English. No-one seems to mind these things. A little Xhosa would be a nice change. I certainly don't see any reason to get one's knickers twisted.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a general point, I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of liturgical and church practice underwear mobius strip like misfunction comes down to preconceptions about the sort of people who are perceived as habitually doing the practice in question.

And to be fair, it's exactly why if I walk into a church for a service and see a drum kit and mixing desk at the back I am inclined, if at all socially possible, to turn on my heel and run for dear life.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Anglican Cathedral in Buenos Aires used Spanish in most of their hymns. Generally, hymns would feature a few English verses, and then a few in Spanish. I was struck at how well the Spanish texts worked with Victorian Anglican hymns. In this case, pretty well everyone in the congregation was bilingual.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... And to be fair, it's exactly why if I walk into a church for a service and see a drum kit and mixing desk at the back I am inclined, if at all socially possible, to turn on my heel and run for dear life.

The really ominous sign is a drum kit surrounded by perspex screening.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed.

When I lived in West Africa, it was routine for many church services to include hymns and songs in 3 or 4 languages - to suit the various people-groups present.

So one might start with Balanta and Bijago; the service leader would enquire if any Papel were present and, if so, we'd have some singing in that language too. Then we'd do stuff in Portuguese for the educated urban young people.

Most people could do at least two languages and the worship leader would give a brief explanation of each song. Everything was sung by heart and unaccompanied except for Western-style Portuguese hymns.

Services did go on a bit ... especially if the sermon had to be double-translated too! And few of the "pews" would score highly (if at all) on the Mystery Worshipper scale!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from Paschatide, when we sing the Paschal troparion ("Christ is risen from the dead trampling down death by death and upon those in the tombs bestowing life") in multiple languages*, we only have a couple of songs with foreign words, and the one we sing the most is macaronic and the English and Slavonic parts say the same thing.

___
*but of course everybody knows the words in English and hence what the translation is. I'm sure we mangle the pronunciation horribly, especially the Luganda**.
**which we sing not out of "solidarity" but because we had a seminary student from Uganda stay with us for many summers, and he taught it to us.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
♬ Kum bah yah muh lord kum bah yah

Mostly harmless I think. If there's a new song (these don't seem to be quite hymns to me) with some words not known, a choir practice with explanation before the service starts is the best place for the explanation.

Yes, it disrupts the liturgy, so it must be decided that it is worth doing. We decided that such things were okay for what we've called the "intergenerational service", which was formerly the 'youth service', but some of us greying people also get involved.

I don't think the idea of foreign words is a problem. We're not going to sing to satan and mean it. If we do by accident, I'm sure god and satan will discuss the intent as well as the words and it'll be okay.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I've always been wary of professional church musicians. But give them their due, 'in quires and places where they sing', they are the experts and they know that English settings of the Eucharist of any quality are as rare as hens' teeth. No doubt the reason for this is the neglect of the Eucharist in Anglican cathedrals at the time composers were churning out settings of the Evensong (and Mattins) canticles. But there is a big gap in the repertoire unless you [a] revert to Sung Mattins as the main service, or [b] use settings of the Latin.

I was in a parish church yesterday when the choir sang a Palestrina mass (in Latin of course). IMHO it didn't destroy the intimate congregational feel of the liturgy, but rather heightened the sense of worship.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, a song is words and music. If I can't understand the words I'm missing half of the communication the song was written to convey.

For that reason I dislike anything sung in a language not the language of the people listening - in a church worship event. In an art event, fine. But in a church of English-speaking people let's communicate in English, please.

In an international community like in Taize, or bi/multi-lingual congregation in USA or elsewhere, makes sense to use the multiple languages present.

Obviously a lot of people disagree with me. Heck, the whole RCC disagreed with me for a long time, insisting the entire service be in a language no one (but a few scholars) was fluent in anymore.

At the time of the change in language one Catholic friend told me he liked the Latin better because he couldn't understand it so it gave him a sense of mystery. I think God keeps trying to reveal God's-self, not wrap it in extra mystery! But obviously mileages vary.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I go to Choral Evensong at Westminster Abbey, the wording on the order of service card given out to the congregation, is something to the effect - the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis are sung in English or in another language. The 'other language' is usually (but not always) Latin. In this case, there would seem to be no problem what the words mean, because these canticles are used invariably at Evensong.

As a linguist, it is unusual for me to go to any church and not to know the words in another language mean; or rarely, if I don't, I can usually identify the language. As I am not a Greek scholar, the phrase, "It is all Greek to me", is true both literally and metaphorically to me.

I have met the Xhosa langusge on my visits to South Africa; I might be able to identify it when I see it, but no more.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People can easily learn to understand the Latin text of the Ordinary of the Mass (and the Greek Kyrie, of course). The bigger problem IMO is choral settings that are so ornate and polyphonic that you can't follow the text. I am often in the situation of straining to make out bits of the text in the Gloria and Credo at which the servers and sacred ministers are to bow. It gets difficult when the setting is highly vocally overlayed, with bits of different phrases being sung simultaneously and with "vain repetitions" and "too many notes (just take some out and it will be fine)". You can know and follow the Latin text itself, but be completely unable to follow the garbled language produced with the choir wailing away at some polyphonic setting.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Thank God. I can only imagine what the lowest common denominator would do with the repertoire.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
People can easily learn to understand the Latin text of the Ordinary of the Mass (and the Greek Kyrie, of course). The bigger problem IMO is choral settings that are so ornate and polyphonic that you can't follow the text. I am often in the situation of straining to make out bits of the text in the Gloria and Credo at which the servers and sacred ministers are to bow. It gets difficult when the setting is highly vocally overlayed, with bits of different phrases being sung simultaneously and with "vain repetitions" and "too many notes (just take some out and it will be fine)". You can know and follow the Latin text itself, but be completely unable to follow the garbled language produced with the choir wailing away at some polyphonic setting.

I have much sympathy with this view. As beautiful as it might sound overly ornate polyfony doesn't belong in the liturgy. One should be able to make out the words being sung. This is the beauty of plainchant.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Angloid
I've always been wary of professional church musicians. But give them their due, 'in quires and places where they sing', they are the experts and they know that English settings of the Eucharist of any quality are as rare as hens' teeth. No doubt the reason for this is the neglect of the Eucharist in Anglican cathedrals at the time composers were churning out settings of the Evensong (and Mattins) canticles. But there is a big gap in the repertoire unless you [a] revert to Sung Mattins as the main service, or [b] use settings of the Latin.

WHY wary? Only in the CofE 'professional' a dirty word.

As for settings of the Eucharist being rare, not so. There are settings by exactly the same composers as for the canticles but, on the whole they (a) are less well-regarded, and (b) it was decreed that the old words were not acceptable when the liturgical merry-go-round set off in the 1970s.

Yes, there are horrors (Prendergast in E flat anyone?) but there are some reasonable settings.

As for the 'new words', they've not inspired many people but then perhaps they find the language and the rhythms limiting - Peter Hurford wrote a setting but the Gloria can be accompanied by a mixture of Here we go round the Mulberry-bush and Pop goes the Weasel... [Snigger]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the versions of the Gloria which go to the tunes of The Ash Grove and In An English Country Garden.

May I be forgiven, but they are both singable and fun.....

No foreign languages at our place, usually, with the occasional exception of those Taize chants usually sung in Latin e.g. Laudate, omnes gentes.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the reasons I was so fond of the Series Two Eucharist was that it was

(a) Modern, but
(b) Still Traditional language, so we could use all the old war horses - Merbeck, Martin Shaw, Thingy (Woodward?) in E flat, etc..

When people kvetch about the lack of settings for HC in Anglicanism, they are usually grumbling about the lack of modern language ones. As Series 3 came out in 1972, that means only about 40 years has passed since the first ML rite in England. That is not very long to build a repetoire.

As for reintroducing Choral Mattins - yes please!

In my own parish we use English and very occasionally Latin. We could also get away with German and perhaps Spanish.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It takes a very perverse form of dedication to pour this much lukewarm water at people who have the audacity to do things well.

Why on earth God should be honoured by mediocrity has always been entirely beyond me.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
WHY wary? Only in the CofE 'professional' a dirty word.

As for settings of the Eucharist being rare, not so. :

[Overused] I bow to the professional!

I'm not wary of professionals per se, and you're right it shouldn't be a dirty word. Just that many (not all, by any means) church musicians appear to have an ambivalent relationship with the worshipping community, and some organists I have known have been very prickly.

That said, though I accept that there may be many worthy settings of the eucharist in English, and that there is no more reason why Tudor English rather than Latin should be excluded from a modern-language liturgy, the great classical composers have left a legacy to the whole church, not just the RCC, and so why should not Anglicans share in that inheritance?

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll happily sing in Xhosa, Swahili, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Latin, German, Gaelic, Scots, or anything else I can wrap my tongue around. I prefer to have a translation, and it's certainly better to have someone with a passing knowledge of the correct pronunciation, but really if no-one there knows the correct pronunciation, it's not going to trouble anyone, and God will know what we intend.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
quote:
quote:

Thank God. I can only imagine what the lowest common denominator would do with the repertoire.
Then what does the word 'president' mean, and who is supposed to 'preside'?

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I see it, music by the Choir is offered to the glory and praise of God, on behalf of all and not for the entertainment of the congregation. Therefore it is not required that you always understand the words.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This rather depends on the nature of what is being sung, I think. IMO the sung text of the Mass should be understanded of the people. In places, such as my own parish, that use Latin settings of the Ordinary, it can be expected that all regular parishioners and most others who seek out such a place will understand the Latin text. However, they may be unable to follow the text if excessively ornate polyphony is used. I see no sense in that. OTOH, communion motets, anthems and the like are less important to congregational participation in the offering of the Holy Eucharist, and it doesn't particularly bother me if they aren't readily comprehended.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
The way I see it, music by the Choir is offered to the glory and praise of God, on behalf of all and not for the entertainment of the congregation. Therefore it is not required that you always understand the words.

But shouldn't the choir understand the words?
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good choir master will incorporate an understanding of the text into choir practices, so that, by the time the choir sing the anthem in a service, they know what the words mean. A good choir will interpret the words musically, making sure the dynamics of the music and words match - regardless of which language they are singing in. A good choir will also provide a translation of the words for the congregation to follow, or - at the very least - a summary of what the anthem is about.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it important that the congregation follow along with the words in a linear fashion at every single service? Because that's what is being suggested: you can understand what is being sung without following all the words as they 'appear', either by virtue of the service sheet/missal, or by virtue of the fact that the texts *are the same every week.* Are people so averse to making a little effort to inhabiting the liturgy that polyphony is completely beyond them? At what price comprehension? Too often 'easy to follow' is code for 'unutterably trite'.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Choir is singing something I can't understand (either in a foreign language, or in English that's hard to follow), I can still enjoy it for the sake of the music. It's much like the organ playing -- it doesn't need words. Besides which -- they're not singing for me.

Congregational singing is another matter.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
It's much like the organ playing -- it doesn't need words.

Emily Dickinson felt the same way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are always some in the church who enjoy the sport of knocking the choir and music. However, ask them to come and contribute to the music worship and they run a mile. A great deal of time and effort goes into preparing and presenting music for worship and it would be nice if sometimes the congregation appreciated that. Just as long as we aren't asked to introduce rap into the service!

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

[Smile]

But I do wish I could read her poems without automatically singing them to the Gilligan's Island theme song.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

[Smile]

But I do wish I could read her poems without automatically singing them to the Gilligan's Island theme song.

I sing them to "Yellow Rose of Texas." [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
Why is it important that the congregation follow along with the words in a linear fashion at every single service? Because that's what is being suggested: you can understand what is being sung without following all the words as they 'appear', either by virtue of the service sheet/missal, or by virtue of the fact that the texts *are the same every week.* Are people so averse to making a little effort to inhabiting the liturgy that polyphony is completely beyond them? At what price comprehension? Too often 'easy to follow' is code for 'unutterably trite'.

So, you think maybe the congo should jot down the words phonetically and go look them up on Google Translate when they get home? (Or better yet, on their smart phones during the middle of the service!)

[ 04. June 2013, 18:17: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016