homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is a crucifix without a christ when it isn't a cross?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What is a crucifix without a christ when it isn't a cross?
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen recently in a small, rural, French church. (Clergoux, Correze).

An apparent crucifix some 1.5m(?) high on the stone wall to the right of the window behind the simple altar. (Brilliant windows as well incidentally). Apparently a dark monochromatic cross with a Christ hanging upon it, a Christ of the same colour as the light stone of the wall.

But it wasn't. My partner noticed first.

The structure was in two parts - the upper a cross bar with a relatively short central vertical. Towards the ends of the crossbar cut-outs, rather like the top third of a keyhole but extending from the underside to one third from the top of the bar and each angled at about 45 degrees from inner lower to upper outer. Beneath the short vertical a semi-circular cut-out offset to the left with a narrowing tongue of the sole material extending a few inches as though a continuation of the right side of the vertical.

Beneath this is a lower part - separated by c. 0.5m of air from the upper - a simple vertical of the same width as the upper parts, with a cut-out at the top somewhat akin to a stalactite (offset a little to the left) with a swollen termination centrally in the vertical.

Clearly the artist was, very cleverly, using the human tendency to make sense of sparse data. The cut-outs on the crossbar looked like hands, the central cut-out like the top of a head and the stalactite transformed into a thigh, calves and overlapping feet. The central gap became, in the imagination, the body hanging between the nailed hands and the lower legs.

I have never seen such an interpretation, though my knowledge of such matters is minimal.

Is this a common style of depiction?

It occurred to me the style could be interpreted, for RCs etc., as a crucifix - as an empty cross for those of a background more like mine - or as an atheist's disguised comment. Neat eh?

Can't find any image on the www so no link, hence the tortuous description. Took a couple of photos though.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can put your pictures on something like www.photobucket.com and then link to them here, it would be helpful to see what you are talking about.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
If you can put your pictures on something like www.photobucket.com and then link to them here, it would be helpful to see what you are talking about.

Thanks

this

Not too clear - partly poor lighting and partly poor photography

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My answer to the OP question would be, "Art."

Wow. I've never seen anything like that. It's beautiful. The execution is so simple it's almost naive, but the idea could be very fruitful for meditation. It draws my mind to the concept of the absence of God, but that's probably just me.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it too. Incarnational and apophatic in one go.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's quite brilliant. I find it quite evocative, even stunning just looking at the photos you've posted. I'm sure its effect is even more profound when you're actually there.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it freaky, like the outlines where bodies were in Hiroshima.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for stunning.

I think still technically a crucifix and I find there is something moving about connecting it with the Hiroshima bodies but also think there is a echo of the Pompeii body casts.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an amazing find in the middle of nowhere. I also think it is stunning.

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's been very clever, but I agree, it's beautiful in its simplicity.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"He is not here."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The imagery I see here is slightly different, recalling -- "I am the vine; you are the branches." (John 15:5)

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"He is not here."

That was my reaction, too.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So rich in its possible interpretations, isn't it?

The crucifix is meant to help us connect our sufferings with Christ's (which is why so many people touch them), so the emptiness is really quite profound. It's both the emptiness we suffer from - e.g., when we feel God is absent, or when we feel devoid of worth or meaning - and the self-emptying of Christ which heals us. It evokes for me a sense of longing which Christ fulfills. And just as it requires the perceptual trick of the human mind (which actively seeks out the human form) to see it, so seeing God - and seeing Being, Unity, Beauty, Goodness, and Truth - in a broken, bleeding, dying man on a cross requires the "eyes" of faith.

And what does it mean when you can't touch Christ on his Cross? Is there a bit of Noli me tangere here?

This is a great example of how art can be a source for theology, not merely an illustration. You can find insights in your experience with a work of art like this.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's extraordinary and beautiful. I think I need to spend time just sitting with it, but I think I love it

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a picture I took in the Brazilian village of Icoaraci, but I think I like the French one better.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting photo, LeRoc.

I love the French cross in the church. It is beautiful. And actually thought Mousethief's comment about the Hiroshema shadow was apposite. Along with Kelly's. Like when we look at the cross we see an historic image of what was - as an eternal fact - but still able to see, too, that Jesus isn't there any more.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It just occurred to me how funny it would be if we were all hopelessly wide of the mark, and HughWillRidmee happened to arrive at the church just after someone had stolen the statue of Jesus.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No fan of the crucifix here, but that is deeply moving piece of art.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree Adeodatus it would be funny but the lack of marks of nails or other fixing means that I sincerely doubt it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clever in concept, profound in meaning and beautiful in design. Love it.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"He is not here."

That was my reaction, too.
And mine - but he is still here for us, we still see him.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not usually a fan of the crucifix but would love to sit in front of this one. Great art touches the heart.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it. What a clever thing. Thanks for sharing it.
I wonder who the person in a small church was that commissioned/bought it? It's very simple, but it does bear thinking about - I also thought of the "He is not here..." comment from the tomb, amongst other things. It does lend itself to thinkings and ponderings, doesn't it?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016