homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Prayers for beginning and ending sermons

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Prayers for beginning and ending sermons
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my tradition (MOTR Anglican) most preachers begin a sermon with a short doxology or prayer such as "In the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit" or a version of a verse from Psalm 19 "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of our hearts, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD etc."

Sometimes they end with a similar sort of thing.

I've done a fair bit of hunting and listening and I can't find one that sits well with me.

I'm preaching shortly (only my 3rd time ever!) and I'm hoping youse all might be able to offer some alternatives.

What sort of words/prayers/things do you use to begin and/or end a sermon?

Thanks muchly!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't have to say anything. People sometimes like a cue to sit down. I tend to begin with "In the name...", partly to provide a cue, partly because I think it emphasises that what follows is a part of the liturgy, not an interlude in it.

At the end, I normally just stop. Leaving the pulpit usually makes it clear to people that you've finished.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Through the written word,
and the spoken word,
may we know your Living Word
Jesus Christ our Savour. Amen

or

Open our ears, O Lord,
to hear your word and know your voice.
Speak to our hearts and strengthen our wills,
that we may serve you today/now and always. Amen

or scroll down here to B.19 for the official bidding prescribed by the Canons of the Church of England ( [Snigger] )

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually start with "In the name ...." (sometimes with a combination the Psalm 19 and the nomine patri).

Sometimes it is more effective to let the last words/thoughts of your sermon ring out, sometimes I, simply say: "The Lord be with you," then leave the pulpit/ambo.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the old days, sermons used to begin with the sacred words: My text today is.....

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the beginning and ending prayers.

When I'm lay preaching I usually start with one of those Pauline salutations, like, "I bring you grace and peace from God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

At the end of the sermon I like, "Now may the peace of God which passes all understanding keep your hearts and minds, through Christ Jesus," or something similar.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two most common openings:
"In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." (This sometimes indicates that the preacher has a high churchmanship, especially if he/she makes the sign of the Cross.)

"May the words of my mouth and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord our rock and our redeemer." (This is still quite common)

I used the first at my Anglo-catholic placement last semester while the latter I use at my seminary chapel when I preach.

For closing, I simply use "amen". I have seen some end with an invocation to the Trinity:

"Now unto God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit be all dominion, glory and power, Amen."

Or

"Now unto the one, holy, blessed and undivided Trinity, be all dominion, glory and power, Amen."

[ 27. June 2013, 13:47: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard "May I speak and may listen in the Name of God: Father, Son and Holy Ghost" in addition to those listed.

I do think it's a shame that so many sermons begin with "please sit down"...

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do tend to start with the verse from Psalm 19. Seeing it not only as a link in, but a prayer I bring before God.

I tend not to end with a prayer, but ether with a question, or a verse from the readings, or a sort of prayer of encouragement (may God bless you as you try and [insert topic].) And more often go straight into a hymn that sums up what I just said.

However I do try and link the introduction to the dismissal back to the topic of the sermon.

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
You don't have to say anything. People sometimes like a cue to sit down. I tend to begin with "In the name...", partly to provide a cue, partly because I think it emphasises that what follows is a part of the liturgy, not an interlude in it.

That's an interesting view. As I understand it, current RC guidelines suggest/demand (?) that the preacher doesn't use any introduction, just in order to show that the homily is part of the liturgy and not a discrete element inserted into it.

I find myself automatically saying something like, 'may I speak in the name of the Living God, the Father...etc.' Like you, I don't think it implies that the sermon isn't part of the liturgy, any more than inserting 'The Lord be with you' at various points does either. But there must be some rationale to the RC ruling.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

That's an interesting view. As I understand it, current RC guidelines suggest/demand (?) that the preacher doesn't use any introduction, just in order to show that the homily is part of the liturgy and not a discrete element inserted into it.

I find myself automatically saying something like, 'may I speak in the name of the Living God, the Father...etc.' Like you, I don't think it implies that the sermon isn't part of the liturgy, any more than inserting 'The Lord be with you' at various points does either. But there must be some rationale to the RC ruling.

Actually, when I'm presiding in our hospital chapel, I just start the homily without an introduction. I usually structure my "brief few words" as a commentary on the gospel that leads us into the intercessions anyway, so being "seamless" seems a very natural way of doing it. It's in the parishes that I get the impression people expect something formal.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the parish church of my youth, the priest always ended his sermon with "May God bless you."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the church I presently serve I usually do a slight variation on Ps. 19, 14. In my preious shack it was the custom for the minister to make a short extemporary prayer cover the immediate concerns of the congregation ending the Lord's Prayer. I prefer an extemporary prayer before the sermon, but in my present shack where we always have Communion at the main service it would be redundant as the Prayer for the Church follows a little later in the service, and one can introduce the congregation's prayer requests before that.

Then at the end I have always said something along the lines of

"To God, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, be all honour, glory, might, power and dominion, now, and forever more. Amen."

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad that at least one person on the thread does not have an opening prayer.

Make that two.

I am not sure what the prayer is supposed to add. In my circles it was often the case that the preacher sat and prayed during the hymn prior to the sermon. Why?

Prayers in preparation for the service as a whole beforehand are all that's necessary IMO. If God has blessed / inspired the service then, when the time comes, just go for it.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the British Methodist Church, such prayers seem to be entirely optional. Some lay and ordained preachers use them and some don't. In my experience, most don't.

There's an assumption that someone who's called to the pulpit - and trained in the theological and presentational expectations of the denomination - will already be praying day by day that what they do and say will be blessed by God. There's no need for an additional prayer at the beginning of a sermon. Such a public prayer perhaps reinforces the dated idea that the sermon is extra special and needs more of God's help than other aspects of the preacher or minister's role.

Also, Methodist preachers tend to say a prayer with the church stewards in the vestry before the official start of the service. I don't know if other denominations do this. If not, then perhaps the opening prayer in the pulpit takes its place.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I am glad that at least one person on the thread does not have an opening prayer.

Make that two.

Three.

In my case, the sermon follows immediately after the Gospel reading. So, a member of the congregation will come out and read the OT and Epistle. Then the preacher will go to the lectern and read the Gospel. Closing the Bible, placing it reverently on the table by the lectern and getting the notes on the lectern (we don't have a pulpit, so usually preach from the lectern) is enough of a cue that the sermon is starting. My sermons usually end with some form of exhortatory prayer ("may we all live according to what the Lord has shown us this morning") or a prayer of praise ("God is so great for what he has done, as we've heard this morning"); for which an "amen" is entirely appropriate. We'd then have a short piece of appropriate music for people to reflect on the sermon a bit before proceeding with the prayers of intercession.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always think that 'Amen' is a weak ending - seems like 'i wish it were true.'

It can be very effective to end a sermon with a kick and then simply walk way.

I usually start with:

text - word from today's gospel.

In the name...

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

Precisely, we just start preaching. You've already made the SotC to open the service, of which the homily is an integral part, so there's no need to do it again.

It's not really a ruling, but the Congregation for Divine Worship had this to say in 1973:

quote:

Query: Is it advisable to invite the faithful to bless themselves before or after the homily, to address a salutation to them, for example, "Praised be Jesus Christ"?

Response: It all depends on lawful local custom. But generally speaking it is inadvisable to continue such customs because they have their origin in preaching outside Mass. The homily is part of the liturgy: the people have already blessed themselves and received the greeting at the beginning of Mass. It is better, then, not to have a repetition before or after the homily.

Before proclaiming the gospel, a priest is to say privately "Almighty God, cleanse my heart and my lips that I may worthily proclaim Your Gospel." If a preacher has not proclaimed the gospel, this might be an appropriate private prayer before preaching.

All of this said, if your people are so used to a prayer that they'll be distracted by not hearing a prayer at the beginning, give them something short and simple.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
In the old days, sermons used to begin with the sacred words: My text today is.....

Or "A funny thing happened to me this week...". Which then describes the event and how it relates to God, the Gospel, the Particular Sunday, etc

Or as the closing: "And I think we're all a little bit like that, aren't we?" The implication being we should all try NOT to be "like that" at all

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I praught, I would read out the text that was my focus and then say "May I speak in the name..." which was the congregation's queue to sit down.

I'd end by having the final sentence lead into something like "to whom be glory and honour forever."

At my current church, the parson insists on waiting til the organ has stopped, then saying "please sit down", then he reads his text, and then says "in the name..."

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very traditional ending in the Kirk would be, Amen, and thanks be to God for this preaching from his holy Word, and to his name be the praise and the glory. Or invert it to put the Amen at the end. I've used it, and it trips off the tongue rather nicely. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes, but not always, use an opening prayer - In the name of . . . or Psalm 19.14 or Loving God (or other salutation) as we open your word to our hearts, we pray that you open our hearts to your word.
I always have a brief closing prayer which varies according to the content of the sermon.

Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I usually start with:

In the name...

If this means what I think it does, then it is rather familiar.

In my old Parish the Priest used to start every sermon with one of the verses from the Gospel which formed the nebulas of the sermon and then proceeded with 'In the name...'

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will usually start with an (extempore) prayer asking God's Spirit to open our hearing and our understanding. That's as much a cue to the congregation that "these are not just my random thoughts but aim to be something more" as anything else.

I end with "In the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit" as this tells the organist to switch on the blower so we have sufficient air pressure for the hymns which follows!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either:
"May I preach faithfully in the name of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit"
or:
"Blessed be the Word, the mouth that speaks, the ears that hear, the minds that understand"
or something similar.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
When I praught, I would read out the text that was my focus and then say "May I speak in the name..." which was the congregation's queue to sit down.

This is an untruth and what I get for posting when tired. I never began like that because I was adamant that, as a layman, I wasn't authorised to do so. I began "May I speak to the glory of..."

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IF I start with a prayer (I don't always), it will usually be:
quote:
“Now, O Lord, take my lips and speak through them; take our minds and think through them; take our hearts and set them on fire with love for yourself. Amen.”
I used to end some sermons with:
quote:
“Lord Jesus Christ, fill us with your Holy Spirit, that we may be less of what we used to be, and that we may become more of what you want us to be. Amen”

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to start with "May the words of my lips..." whilst my (much higher) colleagues use "In the name of the Father..." As our congregations stand for the Gospel reading they seem to want to be told when to sit down, so if I went straight into the sermon there would be an awkward moment as people sat down during my first sentences.

Two thoughts - I don't see ending the sermon with 'Amen' as a weak finish. I have ended with what I see as the Picard translation of the word: "Make it so!" Amen is a call to action, not a pious comment.

And we seem to have missed out the congregation's prayers, which are probably "Keep it short" at the beginning and "Thank God!" at the end... (No comment on anyone else's preaching styles implied or intended!)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
In my old Parish the Priest used to start every sermon with one of the verses from the Gospel which formed the nebulas of the sermon and then proceeded with 'In the name...'

This is pretty much what I do, with another invocation at the end.

Sometimes at the end I'll use the full doxology : "And now to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost be ascribed as is most justly due, all might, majesty, power and dominion, world without end."

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not a lot of help to the OP, but we have always had a sung gospel acclamation, Halle Halle Halle, after which people have learned to sit (though I don't object to an invitation to sit because invitations can be a part of liturgical discourse ...)

I end with "the Lord be with you" and the congregation, being mainly good Anglicans, respond as commanded by the entire weight of universal and soteriological history ...

... then we move into 40-60 seconds of silence.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I usually start with:

In the name...

If this means what I think it does, then it is rather familiar.

The way i usually do it stems from old-fashioned Anglo-catholic practice.

Fr. Ken Leech, one of my heroes, always started this way.

My younger Reader colleague copies me in this and many other ways.

So does our deacon (to be priested tomorrow).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the end of the preaching module of my Reader training course our tutor gave us each a bookmark with some prayers before preaching on it.

"May the spoken and written word lead us to the living Word, Jesus Christ our Lord."

"Take my lips and speak through them; take our minds and think through them; take our hearts and set them on fire with love for you."

"Holy Spirit, take my words and speak to each of us according to our need."

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all very much for your responses. They have been most useful.

We used to have the model where the congregation would be standing when the preacher approached the lectern so something was required to seat people.

We had a complete back flip of liturgy recently so people are now already seated.

I reckon I'm going to go for starting with the line of text this time but will be keeping in mind all these other options for other times!

Thank you.

[Angel]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016