homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eucharistic Vestments (Church of England) (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eucharistic Vestments (Church of England)
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even when I wear a proper alb, rather than a cassock-alb, the alb and stole look does not work for me. I have to do either thr whole thing or cassock and rochet (being a pointy head) not to look a prat, though some would, etc....

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Eucharistic vestments in Milton Keynes, which is ecumenical - only evensong robes. They have weekly eucharists as their main and only service.

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Even when I wear a proper alb, rather than a cassock-alb, the alb and stole look does not work for me. I have to do either thr whole thing or cassock and rochet (being a pointy head) not to look a prat, though some would, etc....

PD

I am reliably informed that apparalled amices reduce pratness quite considerably.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I think that alb and stole, even with apparelled amice, looks best on those of a leaner and more ascetic appearance. PD has, if photos of him are to be believed, a more substantial and imposing presence, which lends itself better to something flowing- chasuble, choir robes or gown.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
But I think that alb and stole, even with apparelled amice, looks best on those of a leaner and more ascetic appearance. PD has, if photos of him are to be believed, a more substantial and imposing presence, which lends itself better to something flowing- chasuble, choir robes or gown.

Besides, it would be ridiculous to use one mediaeval vestment (the apparelled amice) and not the rest(i.e. the chasuble).

Quite incidentally, I wonder if anyone wears alb, stole and maniple [Two face]

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I take your point. Piped black cassock rather than the full purple, which would be slimming, and a fuller Victorian surplice to cover the prelatical paunch. However, if he must be albed (and one must be from time to time) apparels and a some chaste but elegant embroidery on the stole would distract the eye from the unfortunate visuals of theological substance.
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Shipmates will forgive the double post, as it provides me with the opportunity to assure Vade Mecum that there are clergy who honour the diaconal saints and affirm their ministry of service by using the maniple when in alb & stole.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please note, PD, that it was not I who started talking about paunches.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Shipmates will forgive the double post, as it provides me with the opportunity to assure Vade Mecum that there are clergy who honour the diaconal saints and affirm their ministry of service by using the maniple when in alb & stole.

In Montréal, it's required.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:
quote:

Besides, it would be ridiculous to use one mediaeval vestment (the apparelled amice) and not the rest(i.e. the chasuble).

Quite incidentally, I wonder if anyone wears alb, stole and maniple [Two face]

Most of our sets are only stole and chasuble, sadly. Our violet set does have a maniple, and when I wear that set I wear the maniple too (in addition to the amice and the alb, of course).

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarum cassocks are a lot kinder to those of us who are a bit broad in the beam. Especially if, like me, your weight varies with the seasons.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016