homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » BCP Services in Scotland (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: BCP Services in Scotland
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you have to look at the context a little. The 1870s are not the 1570s, and as a result 'fighting for an open Bible' in the context of Spanish and Portugese Christianity meant fighting for a Reformed Catholic Church. This might lead to a bit of woolly mindedness in some areas, but when the initial "shock" wore off, they tended to look back to the native tradition.

The Lusitanian Church is a bit more Anglican in format than the Spanish REC, but both have become indigenous Reformed Catholic churches. When the Spanish leadership started to look interested in the Mozarabic (a term I don't really like as it was a derogatory term thrown around by the advocates of the Franco-Spanish version of the Roman Rite) they were encouraged by the Irish bishops.

The Rite of Toledo is of the Gallican Rite and is therefore of the same liturgical family as the ancient Irish Rite, which was also used in Dalriada. No accident that Gregg gave them a little nudge in the right direction!

About the same period (mid-1950s) the Church of India started taking an interest in the ancient Syriac Rite which is the origin of the Mar Thoma Liturgy. The researches there resulted in the alternative order incorporated into the 1963 BCP.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
A Sojourner
Apprentice
# 17776

- Posted      Profile for A Sojourner     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are going to struggle to find any 1929 BCP service outside the Cathedrals, and then it is mostly evensong (or occasionally Compline)... Most SECs have moved to the 1982 liturgy, with those wanting a more traditional language favouring the 1970 book.

I'd advise trying a 1982 book service, the liturgy is well-written and depending on the church you will find it could be a charasmatic service or a MOTR service all using the liturgy as written...

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016