homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Mass in Slow Motion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Mass in Slow Motion
sososlowly
Apprentice
# 17592

- Posted      Profile for sososlowly   Email sososlowly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This maybe slightly too broad a question for Ecclesiantics - if so happy to be moved on gracefully by hosts...

I'm increasingly thinking that I need to learn some liturgy. My spirituality & praxis is very Eucharistic, but I'm now hankering to know how the nuts & bolts (horrible phrase I know) of the Mass came to be where they now are.

I'd welcome suggested reading. Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

Thanks in advance to all,

SSS

Posts: 20 | From: Chichester, West Sussex | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sososlowly:
Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

If you type "mass In Slow motion" in quotation marks into the Google search box you get 36,400 results in return with some very relevant links on the first page.

If you type "mass with commentary" within quotation marks into the Google search box you get 29,200 resutlts. The links on the first page are mainly books and a video for purchase.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dix: Shape of the Liturgy,
Senn: Christian Liturgy,
Study editions of the Roman Missal,
General Instruction to the same (GIRM),
Youtube.

Enough to be going on with.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would recommend this and this.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sososlowly
Apprentice
# 17592

- Posted      Profile for sososlowly   Email sososlowly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all. Most helpful *dives into newly constructed reading list*

SSS

Posts: 20 | From: Chichester, West Sussex | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's The Freeze-Frame Mass .

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything by Aidan Kavanagh

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
seconded - though if you take him seriously, you have to remove your wristwatch and wedding ring before vesting.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does AK write with those wearing wedding rings in mind?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Methinks not, but I suspect leo writes mutatis mutandis.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sososlowly:
This maybe slightly too broad a question for Ecclesiantics - if so happy to be moved on gracefully by hosts...

I'm increasingly thinking that I need to learn some liturgy. My spirituality & praxis is very Eucharistic, but I'm now hankering to know how the nuts & bolts (horrible phrase I know) of the Mass came to be where they now are.

I'd welcome suggested reading. Also, is there a "mass In Slow motion" or "mass with commentary" anywhere on the web? I can't find it but maybe my Google-fu has been sapped by the summer heat...

Thanks in advance to all,

SSS

SSS, the very best way is to attended Mass and watch carefully. Then get trained to properly serve a Mass (as in acolyte) and then WATCH the priest carefully. Don't be all pious, but watch. Repeat and repeat and repeat. Copy. Best way.
Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather depends who you watch.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Thurible

Well, he would be used to married deacons.

I went through a phase of removing my wrist watch (I don't wear any jewellery) but I need it to keep my preaching to a decent, short time.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Bishop Burnham used to remove his wedding ring when saying Mass, if memory serves.
Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He didn't wear it all for more than the last half of his episcopate. (Lost or 'shrunk'? I can't remember.)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want something basic, you could try this site.

I've noticed that the links are broken, so here is the list of chapters:

the Gathering and Preparation of the people of God
the Ministry of the Word
the Ministry of the Sacrament
the Dismissal

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016