homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Which direction should the choir face?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Which direction should the choir face?
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours is a conventionally ordered Anglican church. The choir sit facing each other north / south. At the Gospel they turn (west) to face the book; at the Creed (east) to face the altar. However they turn (west) to face the congregation for everything else. This means they have their backs towards the altar for the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus dei.

Thoughts?

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they to the west or east of a central altar which is actually being used in the service in question? If the altar used is at the east end, then liturgically they shouldn't be turning their backs on it during the Sanctus, which is part of the eucharistic prayer, I'd have thought.

Surely they ought to be looking at the conductor?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The altar is at the east end. They are between the altar and the pulpit and lectern (old-fashioned / conventional) which are at the crossing.

Unfortunately there isn't usually a conductor, and when there is they tend to be musically rather than liturgically adept.

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We face West except for the said creed, when we face the Altar (ie. East). Oh, and except for when we sing the anthem a capella (the only time we have a conductor) - for that we process to the back of the church, then turn and face East.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choirs, unlike Victorian children, should be heard but not seen.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

Indeed. Hidden away in a choir loft.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

But if they aren't and cannot be . . .
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

But if they aren't and cannot be . . .
I dunno.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ex-ter-min-ate!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd agree, and I'd prefer a choir loft, but I won't find them distracting if A they are in stalls behind a central altar where the action is going on or B if they face each other from their stalls, which is the natural position.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:

I'd agree, and I'd prefer a choir loft, but I won't find them distracting if A they are in stalls behind a central altar where the action is going on or B if they face each other from their stalls, which is the natural position.
Indeed. The whole turn-and-face-the-audience* approach is mistaken, because ultimately the choir ought not be the focus of the congregation's attention and prayer. The choir's singing should be a medium for prayer directed to God.

Visually, choirs should be unobtrusive. Faces looking in your direction are not unobtrusive.

*word used advisedly

Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would argue that this is one of situations where, as long a sensible decision is reached, it does not really matter one way or the other.

Generally, a choir facing the congregation to sing makes sense musically but if its a small building it might not matter, or if one of the singers is keeping time/conduction then they would need to face that person to keep in time.

The only "wrong" solution I could envisage would be doing something deliberately disrespectful. Otherwise, do whatever works, makes sense and is done by all. Many liturgical principles are in fact merely specifying uniformity/dignity/common-sense, rather than making a huge theological point. (e.g. not reverencing an altar in any way if you pass it in procession)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should either face each other or stand at a 45 degree angle (so SW or NW facing) for hymns, Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei, etc.

For the Gloria they should face the altar.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was temporarily having a break from the choir, and sitting in the congregation, it was tremendously reassuring to be able to see the choir and realise that there were more than only 20 people in the evensong congregation. The choir are part of the congregation too, so shouldn't be hidden away!

No choir should get in the way of the altar, that is why they usually stand to both sides (and wear identical clothing) so that the eye looks past them and to the altar in the centre.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As this funny little website puts it:

" Ideally, the choir should be placed in a side transept and covered by a mesh screen so that their appearance does not present a distraction for the congregation."

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I do wonder if some choirs exist for pastoral rather than musical reasons.

If they don't have sufficient volume to be heard without turning to the congregation, then they aren't up to scratch musically.

I'm sorry if that is hurtful to many sweet and innocent choir members, but I wouldn't say it to their face.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a longtime fan of choral music, I am accustomed to having a choir face the audience for performances. When I occasionally run into this while travelling, I find it disconcerting and it has for me a strong flavour of concert performance, rather than worship. Still, I have friends of mine raised in more protestant traditions are accustomed to having the choir face them and they find other approaches odd.

As another consideration, in churches built with choir space between the sanctuary and the congregation, they are often acoustically designed for rows of choristers facing each other. In these places, the sound works best when used as designed.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

The bits the choir sing are usually immediately followed by important parts of the liturg: the Collect after the Gloria; the words of institution after the Sanctus; the invitation to communion after the Agnus dei. I've noticed that when there is no conductor, and the choir has (as it invariably does) turned to face the congregation, they seem to forget this.

The celebrant says "Behold the Lamb of God . . . " and the choir members will all be in the middle of putting their books down and searching for the next piece of music.

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father-in-law's church (UMC) used to have the altar on the east wall and the choir just to the west of that, with them facing each other. However, the building's acoustics are dreadful, so they were forced to bring the altar forward and put the choir behind it. I rather liked the older way, but I understand the problem with sound.

My point is simply that sometimes you can't help it.

My shack (also UMC) has no choir, as such, although there are a few ladies who like to sing together now and then. There's no place for a choir loft, so they're left standing just behind the Communion rails, in what passes for the chancel. It's not a good arrangement, but I can think of nothing better at the moment. Maybe some day I can knock out the east wall and take over the classrooms just behind; that would give us space for a proper sanctuary. But I'm more likely to be the Doctor's companion than to have that happen.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If they don't have sufficient volume to be heard without turning to the congregation, then they aren't up to scratch musically.

Our choir, as L'Organist suggests, faces SW to sing. That way, they can be tucked in the corner where they're not visually obtrusive, but can still be heard.

Facing away from the congregation, they can't be heard properly. Perhaps this is because they are relatively few in number, perhaps it's because of the acoustics of our building, or perhaps they're just not very good. I don't think that matters - they are the choir we've got, and we have to use them in worship as best as we can.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to face across, except that we would turn to face the book for the Gospel, and the altar for the Creed.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We stand in a horseshoe facing the director, who has her back to the north. There are generally about 12 to 16 of us.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

I'd particularly like to hear which direction choirs face for the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus dei.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

They can do what they like Corvo. There's no authority to say. If you asked me, they should continue to face each other across the choir aisle. (And there's no need to face East for the creed - a bit of High Church fussiness to my mind. But I'd still turn East if I was sitting in choir at Choral Evensong and it said "turn east" in the laminated sheet as I wouldn't want to cause distraction.)

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a general tradition of understanding when it comes to various liturgical roles and their acts of piety. Letting a crucifer off the hook when it comes to genuflections is certainly an example. It just makes sense. Allowing people who are not kneeling at the consecration to make a solemn bow is another.

Certainly the choir could be let off the hook during the fulfillment of their role, especially if it is while they are actually singing the Gloria, Sanctus, or Agnus Dei?

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church is arranged as in the OP. The choir (being somewhat small) occupies only the south half of the chancel. The clergy sit on the north with the organist. The only time the choir faces the congregation is when they sing the offertory anthem. Rather than turning in the choir stalls, they file out and regroup at the east end of the chancel. The only problem with this is the occasional traffic jam because at the same time the acolytes are rousing from a stupor to receive the eucharistic elements from the ushers and hand them the offering bowls.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

quote:
They can do what they like Corvo.

That seems to lead to this:

quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
The bits the choir sing are usually immediately followed by important parts of the liturgy the Collect after the Gloria; the words of institution after the Sanctus; the invitation to communion after the Agnus dei.

The celebrant says "Behold the Lamb of God . . . " and the choir members will all be in the middle of putting their books down and searching for the next piece of music.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I'd still turn East if I was sitting in choir at Choral Evensong and it said "turn east" in the laminated sheet as I wouldn't want to cause distraction.)

Indeed, the laminated sheet is an important source of authority in the Church.

No, but seriously: I do agree with the sentiment. "Don't stick out like a sore thumb" is a good liturgical super-rubric. Trying to maintain unity with those you're physically worshipping with is a noble aim, especially when it doesn't match your preferences.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
No, but seriously: I do agree with the sentiment. "Don't stick out like a sore thumb" is a good liturgical super-rubric. Trying to maintain unity with those you're physically worshipping with is a noble aim, especially when it doesn't match your preferences.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this point a little... The most important physical aspect which indicates your unity with those you are worshipping with is the Peace, anything else is personal preference, unless of course you are serving at the altar when a certain level of uniformity is to be desired amongst the altar party.

I suppose I am set in my action-y ways and what they are expressing and reminding me of, so despite being in a relatively MOTR CinW parish where no one else does, I will continue to bow during the words of consecration, during the creed, during the Gloria etc. (especially when so much of the way I feel things should be done I have given up) It is an important aspect of how my theology expresses itself regardless of where I am and therefore trumps the need for absolute uniformity of outward expression with those I am gathered with, since it is a matter between me and God, rather than keeping evo so-and-so in the pew half way down happy.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:

" Ideally, the choir should be placed in a side transept and covered by a mesh screen so that their appearance does not present a distraction for the congregation."

At Bayreuth, they put the orchestra in a sort of semi-underground chamber under the stage, invisible to the audience.

Okay, it might mean some expensive reordering in some churches, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try ... [Devil]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

At Bayreuth, they put the orchestra in a sort of semi-underground chamber under the stage, invisible to the audience.

Okay, it might mean some expensive reordering in some churches, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try ... [Devil]

I'm not entirely sure about the continued existence of a choir in most Parish Churches anymore anyway...

Many that I have encountered tend to consist of a handful of people with a very mixed balance of voices (ie. lots of Sap.'s, and very few, if any, Tenor or Bass voices.) Whilst a small choir can do wonders when it has a balanced mixture of voices (I've sung in Chapel choirs which consisted of about 2 voices for each part) and we did stuff rather good across a wide range of pieces, a choir that consists of one male voice and half a dozen female voices is not up to purpose and should probably be retired from existence...

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they're in the chancel, arranged "in choir", they should stay that way, with the conductor in the middle (between cantoris & decani). If this blocks the celebrant and altar from view, then the conductor might stand on one side or the other, where his (unobtrusive and non-Bernstein-ish) cues and time-beating will be visible to the singers.

Having them face the congregation during the offertory sounds kind of awful. This is the offering of the gifts, not "special music" time, and the focus should be on the liturgical action.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
I do wonder if some choirs exist for pastoral rather than musical reasons.

People are often referred to choirs for social reasons eg. loneliness, social difficulties. The dilemma of whether to take people for this reason, regardless of whether they can sing, was recently discussed here .

For the Gloria we stand and turn to face the congregation. For the Sanctus and Agnus Dei, we are kneeling and facing across the chancel towards the other choir stalls. This is in a church where the Mass is sung by choir and congregation together.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
a choir that consists of one male voice and half a dozen female voices is not up to purpose and should probably be retired from existence...

It's not up to singing 4-part anthems, but it can still provide a core of voices to lead the congregational singing. It works better, IMO, to have a few strong voices in one place, rather than scattered around the congregation not quite keeping in time with each other.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
a choir that consists of one male voice and half a dozen female voices is not up to purpose and should probably be retired from existence...

It's not up to singing 4-part anthems, but it can still provide a core of voices to lead the congregational singing. It works better, IMO, to have a few strong voices in one place, rather than scattered around the congregation not quite keeping in time with each other.
Then maybe it might be suggested that they sit together in the Nave (about half way down), rather than robing and sitting in the choir...

Although I appreciate that this may defeat some of the pastoral reasons that choirs fulfil, which I do accept are present, especially when members of a choir only come to Church when the choir is singing and at no other time...

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our choir is in the organ gallery, above the narthex. Choristers therefore face east, but as for kneeling or standing at different times???? I'm not looking up there. I assume that after conducting the Gospel acclamation, the director turns and faces east also.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Although I appreciate that this may defeat some of the pastoral reasons that choirs fulfil, which I do accept are present, especially when members of a choir only come to Church when the choir is singing and at no other time...

If it's a church that has a Choral Eucharist and Choral Evensong every Sunday that will mean the choir comes to church twice as often than 95% of the rest of the congregation then.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Lots of choirs aren't. Most aren't round where I live. Including ours.

So?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Lots of choirs aren't. Most aren't round where I live. Including ours.

Ours too, although it's massive (easily 25+, with about eight men, two boy trebles and the rest girls and women — not a good balance), with singers whose voice quality varies from 'nearly professional' to 'barely in tune'. They can just about manage an anthem by, say, Parry or Vaughan Williams, but they aren't up to the standard one would expect in cathedral, college chapel, or major urban parish. But then we aren't any of those things, so that's not really surprising.

[ 05. August 2013, 19:25: Message edited by: S. Bacchus ]

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh! You don't know how lucky you are! Numbers vary between 3 and about 12, maybe 6-8 on a normal day, usually all women, only one of is much better than "barely in tune" (*), rarely more than one man and never more than three, and only one of those can sing in tune higher than bass. (There are probably no more than three or four men in the whole congregation who can reliably sing in tune. I am not one of them. The women do much better. Or rather less badly)

(*) though another one has a rather powerful and distinctive voice which is effective in gospel-style solos of a highly emotional sort. I mean genuinly. I'm not trying to be snarky here.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016