homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Collegiate Churches in the Episcopal Church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Collegiate Churches in the Episcopal Church
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://stpaulsavannah.org/

So this church, an Anglo-Catholic parish in the Diocese of Georgia, has begun calling itself a "collegiate church." I can't really tell why. I thought a collegiate church was one that isn't a cathedral but has a dean with a college of canons. The rector of this parish is a dean, but just the rural dean of his convocation. Two bishops ago, this parish was named pro-cathedral for the cathedral-less Diocese of Georgia for a few years. The past two bishops, however, have not named it as such, and it's status as pro-cathedral seems to have been taken away. The parish describe themselves as a current "proto-cathedral" of the diocese now, which I suppose is true in a sense. But does that justify the leap of calling themselves a collegiate church?

Can anybody make heads or tales of this? It seems like the phrase "collegiate church" appears exactly once on their whole website, and that is in the header.

Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to their history, a slew of canons was created in 1994. With perhaps one of them remaining (Canon Carter) among their honorary clergy, along with three other priests and a Lutheran pastor, they have a dean, curate, and deacon-- one might call this a college of clergy. A wicked person might ask to see their legatine or royal charter establishing their college, but it might be that the proto-cathedral character of the place gives the church that status. Given the fluidity of canonical status in indeterminate matters, it might be that if they think so, and others agree, they are.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
acton bell
Apprentice
# 15576

- Posted      Profile for acton bell   Email acton bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What benefit is there to being named a collegiate church? It sounds to me that this is just a marketing ploy, although who this would appeal to is pretty obscure.
Posts: 21 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an odd designation. Traditionally this referred to a college of clergy bound to the public recitation of the Divine Office. Since they don't appear to have daily Mattins or Evensong, I don't understand what "collegiate" means in this context.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magic Wand makes a valid point. If there's no daily offices, what's the college all about? Why bother? Is it not then a bit like restaurants being called Ye Olde Teahouse?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Collegiate churches here are those that in the past had a 'college' of clerical canons, monks/nuns or singing (paid) 'Clerks' and also a Bishop's throne. There is only one functioning collegiate church here that I know of.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
It's an odd designation. Traditionally this referred to a college of clergy bound to the public recitation of the Divine Office. Since they don't appear to have daily Mattins or Evensong, I don't understand what "collegiate" means in this context.

I know they do say the daily offices, though the hours may not be posted.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, I'm fairly certain that they say both offices everyday.
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the title - I just figured it was intended to be quaint.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Quaint" titles that serve only to put on airs, offices supposedly said, but not at specified times...

As Mrs Wand is fond of saying about the clergy, "If I did my job like that, people would die."

Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a way of setting apart one's church as a de facto cathedral without actually calling it such, cathedral-collegiate alliteration and all. That said, the diocese could do worse than that church as a cathedral.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
http://stpaulsavannah.org/

" ... The parish describe themselves as a current "proto-cathedral" of the diocese now, which I suppose is true in a sense. But does that justify the leap of calling themselves a collegiate church?

'Can anybody make heads or tales of this? It seems like the phrase "collegiate church" appears exactly once on their whole website, and that is in the header ... "

Mmm ... most Episcopalians I know would find the aspirations of St, Paul's, Savannah, to be over the top, not to say the subject of gin & tonic mockery. There are various odd places and things in TEC, such as former cathedrals that will not die, and parish churches (or clergy) that want some kind of puffed up status.

The only real de facto collegiate churches, not cathedrals, in TEC, are at the Cambridge, MA, with at the SSJE Collegiate Church of St. Mary & St. John. The monastic church of St. Augustine at Holy Cross Monastery, West Park, NY, is the same, all though the term "collegiate" isn't used by OHC, Both places those places maintain the sung celebration of the Eucharist and daily office. That's certainly true at St. Gregory's Abbey church, Three Rivers, MI, and with the sisters of the Community of the Transfiguration, Glendale, OH. At West Park, Three Rivers and Glendale they could much more properly use the term "collegiate" than at St. Paul's, Savannah.

At West Park and Three Rivers the church buildings themselves are called monastic churches. At Glendale, the sister's church building is called a chapel. There are no written rules or canons in TEC governing such titular issues. Call it what you want, but such freedom can also lead to other ... er ... issues.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016