homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » There is too little Wonder (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: There is too little Wonder
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

The truth is that we don't understand what caused the singularity to expand rapidly some 13.73bn years ago; we do understand (with a suitably great degree of certainty) what happened thereafter and there is neither necessity nor evidence for supernatural/divine involvement.

Did you know that when the Big Bang theory was first formulated, alot of people didn't like it because it seemed to agree to much with the creation stories in Genesis? The previous cosmology rested on the idea that the universe was eternal (based on Aristotelian philosophy), whereas the BBT implied it had a beginning and therefore accorded with Genesis 1 and Jewish/Christian cosmology.

Now however, it seems to be used AGAINST the idea that God created the world.

Did you also know that the original founder of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest?

[ 12. June 2013, 06:07: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Did you also know that the original founder of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest?

That is interesting, but it does not negate the current thinking on the Big Bang theory, which is constantly being looked at, revised and tweaked as more knowledge becomes available.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how there could be evidence for divine involvement, since 'evidence' generally refers to naturalistic stuff. How can you find physical evidence for something non-physical?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Penny S: Super Earth, not Earth, radius 1.61 Earth. I was going for actual close radial measurements, whch I thought you were predicting.
Ah, you have a very strict definition of 'Earth-sized'. In that case I agree, none have been confirmed of Earth size yet.

quote:
Penny S: Locked rotation - look at work by Joshi, Haberle, Doyle, Heath. I suppose it is speculation, but it is peer reviewed speculation with the maths done and everything.
Yes, I agree with you about the locked rotation thing. But what you are saying about the effects this may have on continents, oceanic and atmospheric circulation, and their implications on the existence of life, there are still a lot of things we don't know about that.

Joshi's work in particular has run things through simulators of the sort used by the Met Office.

I'm waiting on links and references to be emailed me, but the emailer is busy getting a wildlife site ready for assessment by a grant awarding assessor.

The Moon work is interesting. Not only for its ability to stabilise our axis (we are seeing Mars in a state which may not be typical for it at the moment) and the consequential behaviour of seasons, but also the creation of intertidal zones on the edges of the oceans. Forget interesting. The whole business is fascinating which puts it in the wonderful category as far as I'm concerned.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:

That is interesting, but it does not negate the current thinking on the Big Bang theory, which is constantly being looked at, revised and tweaked as more knowledge becomes available.
No it doesn't negate the thinking of the Big Bang Theory.

Which is precisely my point.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I don't see how there could be evidence for divine involvement, since 'evidence' generally refers to naturalistic stuff. How can you find physical evidence for something non-physical?

Quite right. You can't.

Atheists are a bit confused about this tho. They essentially have problems with their methodology when it comes to evidence. They seem to be able to prove what they have not tested.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong
Sorry!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Quite right. You can't.

Atheists are a bit confused about this tho. They essentially have problems with their methodology when it comes to evidence. They seem to be able to prove what they have not tested.

I think lots of people are confused about this. But it does depend on how you define 'evidence'. If you define it as scientific evidence or naturalistic evidence, then there cannot be any for God, unless you think God is a sort of big ugly bloke.

But you might define evidence just as anything which supports an argument, in which case it's more complicated. I tend to call this 'grounds' to avoid ambiguity. Thus a nice sunny day might be grounds for believing in God, but it's not evidence.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And here is the thing. Science and religion are working on two different things. Attempting to combine is, ultimately, ridiculous.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Quite right. You can't.

I think lots of people are confused about this. But it does depend on how you define 'evidence'. If you define it as scientific evidence or naturalistic evidence, then there cannot be any for God, unless you think God is a sort of big ugly bloke.

But you might define evidence just as anything which supports an argument, in which case it's more complicated. I tend to call this 'grounds' to avoid ambiguity. Thus a nice sunny day might be grounds for believing in God, but it's not evidence.

Just as well; it's currently pissing down.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

And here is the thing. Science and religion are working on two different things. Attempting to combine is, ultimately, ridiculous.
I think things are changing though. On the blogosphere, there is a lot more stuff about this now, that is, discriminating between science and religion. I think the effects of Dawkins' crappy efforts at philosophizing are wearing off, and many writers and thinkers are taking it in, that, for example, talking about 'the probability of God' is just incoherent.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No necessity to understand cause and purpose?

That's a very trusting, accepting and pacifistic position to hold. Not very inquiring or scientific at all.

Why, some might even call it a faith position.

Some might be in danger of being considered coquettish then mightn’t they?

In terms of why there was a singularity;-

As to its cause – Since there is no possibility that I could work that out it is currently irrelevant to me.

As to purpose - it was a singularity – it can’t have purpose.

quote:
Did you know that when the Big Bang theory was first formulated, alot of people didn't like it because it seemed to agree to much with the creation stories in Genesis? The previous cosmology rested on the idea that the universe was eternal (based on Aristotelian philosophy), whereas the BBT implied it had a beginning and therefore accorded with Genesis 1 and Jewish/Christian cosmology. and, to exactly the same extent, also accorded with virtually every other creation myth ever invented by mankind – how is this relevant?

Now however, it seems to be used AGAINST the idea that God created the world. The idea that the universe was created by a conscious act is a hypothesis. There is no evidence to support this hypothesis. There are no places in the equations where we have to put a large set of brackets and fill them with the words then something supernatural/miraculous occurs. The idea that God made the world/universe is the unnecessary hypothesis of a creator god . Since it cannot be proven wrong there is an infinitesimally small possibility that it might be right – so what?

Did you also know that the original founder of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest? Plenty of very clever people are religious – though, I understand, very few who are professional cosmologists, physicists or biologists. Degrees of intelligence may inform the style of that religiosity but it seems to be some other factor(s) which enable faith.

quote:
Different tangent but how could something non-physical affect things that are physical? Matter is affected by four forces – gravity, electromagnetism and the weak and strong nuclear forces. Those four forces account for every effect and there is no room for any other. Additionally – were there a fifth we would detect its effects and be able to measure it.

“My practice as a scientist is atheistic. That is to say, when I set up an experiment I assume that no god, angel or devil is going to interfere with its course; and this assumption has been justified by such success as I have achieved in my professional career. I should therefore be intellectually dishonest if I were not also atheistic in the affairs of the world.” population geneticist J. B. S. Haldane

quote:
Atheists are a bit confused about this tho. They essentially have problems with their methodology when it comes to evidence. They seem to be able to prove what they have not tested. Sometimes a proof can consist of rational deduction from known facts – Known facts NOT wishful thinking.

However – I think you are failing to differentiate between we do not believe and we can prove to be untrue. It is not possible to disprove the existence of god but since the concept is both unsupported and unnecessary the burden of proof is on you. I’m sure you’re familiar with Russell's teapot (if you check Wikipedia - Garvey is trying to redefine atheism, Wood relies on his peculiar interpretation of “reasonable”, Reitan’s “difference” is irrelevant and Chamberlain thinks he can equate Winston Churchill with said teapot).

quote:
But you might define evidence just as anything which supports an argument, in which case it's more complicated. I tend to call this 'grounds' to avoid ambiguity. Thus a nice sunny day might be grounds for believing in God, but it's not evidence. But only to the same extent as it is “grounds” for believing in Thor, Minerva, Ganesh or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

It is not possible to disprove the existence of god but since the concept is both unsupported and unnecessary the burden of proof is on you.

The concept of God is extremely well supported unless you discount all of history and personal experience as fiction. Which is acceptable but completely unreasonable.

The concept is not unnecessary. First cause is very necessary. The fact that you're not interested in it is irrelevant. But logically, it is necessary. God creating the world is the more reasonable option than nothing creating the world and it's all a matter of chance.

So the burden of proof lies on you.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
HughWillRidmee: It is not possible to disprove the existence of god but since the concept is both unsupported and unnecessary the burden of proof is on you.
I see no reason why I would want to prove the existence of God.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is not possible to disprove the existence of god but since the concept is both unsupported and unnecessary the burden of proof is on you.

The concept of God is extremely well supported unless you discount all of history and personal experience as fiction. Which is acceptable but completely unreasonable.

The concept is not unnecessary. First cause is very necessary. The fact that you're not interested in it is irrelevant. But logically, it is necessary. God creating the world is the more reasonable option than nothing creating the world and it's all a matter of chance.

So the burden of proof lies on you.

Oh dear – all of history? – including the seventy-thousand years or more of modern humanity prior to the concept of a single god developing out of a plethora of gods, goddesses, demons, spirits, earth-mother etc. Many people have believed in some sort of supernatural power(s) – even if you consider them all to be ideas of god it doesn’t mean that they were right. Until a few hundred years ago people knew that the sun went round the earth – they could see its path during the day and there it was, back at the start again, the next morning. Does the fact that it was widely accepted (and taught by the christian church) make it true? Does belief in Odin or Oceanus, Gaia or Ganesh support your concept of god? Lots of people got it wrong, lots of people still get it wrong – but most religious people, whatever their belief, reckon they’ve got the true deal - do you? Why should your experience be valid whilst Mohammed’s or Brigham Young’s, Ceasar’s or Epicurus’s (where it differs from yours) is not?

Personal experience as fiction. Well yes actually it probably is. We know that memory is not like a video, it’s more a few bullet points which we weave into a guesswork story when we “remember” – that’s why eye-witness testimony is the worst possible evidence in terms of the judicial process. What we call memory is easily modified by suggestion – students who can’t recall being abused as children when questioned about it gave graphic accounts of the abuse six months later when re-questioned etc. etc..

I don’t know whether there was an external cause to the Big Bang or not – I don’t see that it’s likely that I will ever know if there was let alone, if there was, what it was. Are you defining god as the cause, if so where did the cause come from? You say first cause as if your god did not have a cause - yet you say that cause is logically necessary. Either keep your cake or eat it, or explain to me how you can do both simultaneously.

Even if we found that the universe had been created it wouldn’t be evidence for your god – it might, based on exactly the same evidence (it’s here), have been coughed up by a diseased eight foot high rabbit in a slaughter house in another of the eleven dimensions that string theory predicts (though eleven is a consensus – some say fewer or more). Difference is, I don’t actually think it was an eight foot rabbit so I don’t have to prove it was, you on the other hand........

quote:
I see no reason why I would want to prove the existence of God.
Comment was addressed Evensong.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
HughWillRidmee: Comment was addressed Evensong.
I know, I just wanted to say that. By all means go ahead.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

Oh dear – all of history? – including the seventy-thousand years or more of modern humanity prior to the concept of a single god developing out of a plethora of gods, goddesses, demons, spirits, earth-mother etc. Many people have believed in some sort of supernatural power(s) – even if you consider them all to be ideas of god it doesn’t mean that they were right. Until a few hundred years ago people knew that the sun went round the earth – they could see its path during the day and there it was, back at the start again, the next morning. Does the fact that it was widely accepted (and taught by the christian church) make it true? Does belief in Odin or Oceanus, Gaia or Ganesh support your concept of god? Lots of people got it wrong, lots of people still get it wrong – but most religious people, whatever their belief, reckon they’ve got the true deal - do you? Why should your experience be valid whilst Mohammed’s or Brigham Young’s, Ceasar’s or Epicurus’s (where it differs from yours) is not?

Oh I see. You believe the fact that their is no historical uniformity in belief in God/gods that it therefore cannot be true?

I think there's a name for that logical fallacy.

quote:

Personal experience as fiction. Well yes actually it probably is. We know that memory is not like a video, it’s more a few bullet points which we weave into a guesswork story when we “remember” – that’s why eye-witness testimony is the worst possible evidence in terms of the judicial process. What we call memory is easily modified by suggestion – students who can’t recall being abused as children when questioned about it gave graphic accounts of the abuse six months later when re-questioned etc. etc..

Right. Discount all personal experience and observation!

Dear oh dear. Discount history and human experience and you are left with precisely nothing.

Nothing on which to create a worldview.

I believe that's called Nihilism.

And nihilism is awfully boring.

quote:
[QB]
Are you defining god as the cause, if so where did the cause come from? You say first cause as if your god did not have a cause - yet you say that cause is logically necessary. Either keep your cake or eat it, or explain to me how you can do both simultaneously.

First cause is one of the primary definitions of God. God created time and existed outside our concepts of time so asking what created God is redundant and not using the word correctly.

quote:
[QB]

Even if we found that the universe had been created it wouldn’t be evidence for your god

Sure it would. As above. It's the definition of God.

Whether its my limited understanding of God or not is irrelevant. If I found (say at death?) it was a diseased eight foot high rabbit I would indeed have to acknowledge it as God.

[Big Grin]

quote:
[QB] Difference is, I don’t actually think it was an eight foot rabbit so I don’t have to prove it was, you on the other hand........

The whole burden of proof thing is actually a red herring IMO. It assumes that human beings are some kind of neutral tabula rasa and exist in a state of objectivity. Which is rubbish of course.

p.s. Sorry bout the coding. I find your posts quite hard to requote!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

I found a lovely blogpost/article on The Problem of Evidence in Atheism.

The best line:

quote:
To make the conclusion that God does not exist, when God has not been factored into the experiment in the first place, makes an inconsistent leap. “Methodological atheism jumps to ontological atheism with no explanation.”
and a bit of explanation:

quote:
what would count as evidence of the supernatural or of God? And if it turns out there is not any sort of event, fact, datum, or combination of facts that would count as evidence of the supernatural or of God, then how is this stance distinguishable from a priori atheism, rather than a result of a survey of the pertinent evidence? And if it is indistinguishable from a priori atheism, why countenance the objection seriously at all?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Well, yes, science doesn't provide a metaphysics. Of course, you can construct one - scientific realism - but that is not a scientific claim. I'm not sure that any view of reality can go beyond a guess.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee: I don’t know whether there was an external cause to the Big Bang or not – I don’t see that it’s likely that I will ever know if there was let alone, if there was, what it was. Are you defining god as the cause, if so where did the cause come from? You say first cause as if your god did not have a cause - yet you say that cause is logically necessary. Either keep your cake or eat it, or explain to me how you can do both simultaneously.
This.

Could some clever theist offer an answer to this? I’ve often wondered about it, but don’t recall ever seeing a satisfactory answer. I’ve got my pain au chocolat and coffee, and it would be nice to have this sorted out whilst I enjoy them.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Could some clever theist offer an answer to this? I’ve often wondered about it, but don’t recall ever seeing a satisfactory answer. I’ve got my pain au chocolat and coffee, and it would be nice to have this sorted out whilst I enjoy them.

<snort> No cleverness necessary, which is a good thing this time of day. No coffee here yet!

Let's invert the argument. Assume that there must be a cause to everything. At some point on the chain, I don't care where, designate one cause as "god." Fine. Now go a step backward. Oh, another cause! We must have designated the wrong thing as god. Keep going back... and back... and back... until you find an uncaused cause you can designate as "god". But wait! We can't do that, because we've already postulated an endless chain of causes! ("a cause to everything"). The argument disintegrates.

The problem is this: if everything has a cause--strictly everything--then there IS no first, uncaused cause, and therefore nothing worthy of the name "god/God". Either causality ends up being a vast Moebius loop, or ... well, as far as I can make out, it can't exist. Because how could the whole train of causes ever have gotten started? Eternal regression. And the Moebius loop idea forces the question of how the whole loop got there in the first place--which leads us back to the idea of a creator-of-causes who is somehow outside of that loop of causality.

I don't think it works.

[ 13. June 2013, 12:06: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

First cause is logically necessary in a time/space universe.

God created time/space.

First cause no longer applies to eternity.

Easy

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

One of the problems here is apparently the idea that every explanation must also have an explanation. I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but it seems quite an odd one to me.

Is it correct? For example, assuming that one day scientists are able to discern some deep-going universal structure to the universe, which unifies all known structures and processes, will they be required to explain where this comes from?

That sounds strange to me. I would think it's OK to speak of 'brute facts' in relation to the physical universe, isn't it?

Well, going into the issue of brute facts is a philosophical problem - if anyone is interested, consult Elizabeth Anscombe. Unfortunately, her paper on this is behind a paywall on Jstor.

Also of interest is the Munchhausen trilemma, which divides arguments into 3 types: circular; regressive (i.e. endless); and axiomatic. The third type - axiomatic - is of course, the one that has no further explanation - I suppose mathematics is like this?

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Let's invert the argument. Assume that there must be a cause to everything. At some point on the chain, I don't care where, designate one cause as "god." Fine. Now go a step backward. Oh, another cause! We must have designated the wrong thing as god. Keep going back... and back... and back... until you find an uncaused cause you can designate as "god". But wait! We can't do that, because we've already postulated an endless chain of causes! ("a cause to everything"). The argument disintegrates.

The problem is this: if everything has a cause--strictly everything--then there IS no first, uncaused cause, and therefore nothing worthy of the name "god/God". Either causality ends up being a vast Moebius loop, or ... well, as far as I can make out, it can't exist. Because how could the whole train of causes ever have gotten started? Eternal regression. And the Moebius loop idea forces the question of how the whole loop got there in the first place--which leads us back to the idea of a creator-of-causes who is somehow outside of that loop of causality.

Thanks. I think you’re simply asserting that the universe had a cause (God) but God doesn’t, ergo causality doesn’t exist because it’s paradoxical. Is that right?
quote:
First cause is logically necessary in a time/space universe.

God created time/space.

First cause no longer applies to eternity.

Easy

Well that’s a pretty Just So answer.

But the way the breeze moves these curtains has more,

Like,

Meaning.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think there are problems with 'divine causation' in any case, since usually the divine is reckoned to be non-natural and non-empirical, so how can something like that cause something?

I think that Aquinas gets out of that one by arguing that God is not the empirical cause of reality (as clouds cause rain), but the logical cause.

This is very impressive, but I don't really understand it.

But theists are also inconvenienced by this, since once you posit something outside nature, then all of the normal processes and equations which are described within nature, no longer apply. This helps theism in one sense, since then speaking of the probability of God, for example, is absurd (since probability is about outcomes), but also hinders it in another way, since then God cannot do any natural stuff, except by analogy.

But, look, there is always wriggle room. Maybe God can cause, after all. As Tommy Cooper used to say, just like that.

[ 13. June 2013, 14:16: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Meh. I think the problem here is that, as we emerged from our cave one day and saw lightning set a tree on fire, we invented God to explain it, and ever since then we’ve been doing all kinds of silly intellectual cartwheels to make ourselves not look like arses for continuing to believe it.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Meh. I think the problem here is that, as we emerged from our cave one day and saw lightning set a tree on fire, we invented God to explain it, and ever since then we’ve been doing all kinds of silly intellectual cartwheels to make ourselves not look like arses for continuing to believe it.

I'm curious what you think of my post about explanations not requiring explanations. You said that you were interested in an explanation of this, so what do you think of that one?

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

I think it's a good question, Q, that you answered yourself. It's the third lemma of your Munchhausen trilemma. Scientific fact is axiomatic. You don't need to posit a cause for gravitation or the mass of a hydrogen nucleus or the value of fundamental constants. They just are.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: You don't need to posit a cause for gravitation or the mass of a hydrogen nucleus or the value of fundamental constants. They just are.
Why?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
I think it's a good question, Q, that you answered yourself. It's the third lemma of your Munchhausen trilemma. Scientific fact is axiomatic. You don't need to posit a cause for gravitation or the mass of a hydrogen nucleus or the value of fundamental constants. They just are.

So why are some atheists unhappy with the idea that God just is?

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Because we can't agree on His almighty measurements.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Yorick: You don't need to posit a cause for gravitation or the mass of a hydrogen nucleus or the value of fundamental constants. They just are.
Why?
One reason is that you will end up with an infinite regress, if every term has to be explained, since the explanation itself will need to be explained. Hence, the Munchhausen trilemma as above. It is OK to start with an unexplained term, or axiom.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
quetzalcoatl: One reason is that you will end up with an infinite regress, if every term has to be explained, since the explanation itself will need to be explained. Hence, the Munchhausen trilemma as above. It is OK to start with an unexplained term, or axiom.
I don't believe in the First Cause as a convincing argument for the existence of God, but I find 'it just is' an unsatisfactory answer too.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Do you need to be satisfied with the value of the speed of light?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quetzalcoatl: One reason is that you will end up with an infinite regress, if every term has to be explained, since the explanation itself will need to be explained. Hence, the Munchhausen trilemma as above. It is OK to start with an unexplained term, or axiom.
I don't believe in the First Cause as a convincing argument for the existence of God, but I find 'it just is' an unsatisfactory answer too.
Well, I agree with the first bit. I'm just amused that atheists often complain about God being uncaused, when in fact, there have to be uncaused things in science and mathematics all over the place.

In fact, you could argue that Aquinas-type theology is an axiom-founded deductive system, very like mathematical systems. Of course, you can change the axioms if you want, hence non-Euclidean geometry and so on. Square circles are go!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: Do you need to be satisfied with the value of the speed of light?
To the question "Why does the light have the speed it has?" the answer "It just does" is unsatisfactory to me.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
quote:
To the question "Why does the light have the speed it has?" the answer "It just does" is unsatisfactory to me.
Really? Crikey.

I wonder what you make of the answer to the question, 'what's two and two?'

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But that isn't the answer to the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_permeability#Significance_in_electromagnetism

Now, you could then ask why μ0 has the value it has. And I don't know if anyone knows, but that's not the same as "it just is". I don't know why my train was delayed outside the station this morning, but that doesn't make it an uncaused phenomenon.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: I wonder what you make of the answer to the question, 'what's two and two?'
Four. But I don't see why that is relevant?

quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: Now, you could then ask why μ0 has the value it has.
Exactly. You just shifted the question to another fundamental constant.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One of the problems here is apparently the idea that every explanation must also have an explanation. I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but it seems quite an odd one to me.

Truly? It would appear to be a fundamental human attribute. If we humans did not have this drive to understand, we would not be having this Internet discussion. We would still be just another food source for leopards.
We are as we are because we* have this desire to learn.

*"we" as a function of species. There are obviously individuals who benefit from group membership.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Yorick: I wonder what you make of the answer to the question, 'what's two and two?'

quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: Now, you could then ask why μ0 has the value it has.
Exactly. You just shifted the question to another fundamental constant.

True, but as I pointed out, the answer to that is not "it just is"; it's "we don't know". "We don't know" is a bit annoying, but there's plenty of things in that category. Science is full of 'em.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: True, but as I pointed out, the answer to that is not "it just is"; it's "we don't know". "We don't know" is a bit annoying, but there's plenty of things in that category. Science is full of 'em.
Of course, but what science does in these occasions, it looks for answers.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
quote:
It's a matter of satisfaction, isn't it? You say you find the fact that the constant c is 'just what it is' to be unsatisfactory when this doesn't answer why it is what it is. But that's a different question altogether.

2 + 2 = 4. It just is, mathematically speaking. Why doesn't come into it.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:
It's a matter of satisfaction, isn't it? You say you find the fact that the constant c is 'just what it is' to be unsatisfactory when this doesn't answer why it is what it is. But that's a different question altogether.

2 + 2 = 4. It just is, mathematically speaking. Why doesn't come into it.

Nonsense.

http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/as2446/224.pdf

It's 4 because it has to be; the other options can be logically ruled out.

[ 13. June 2013, 16:10: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: 2 + 2 = 4. It just is, mathematically speaking. Why doesn't come into it.
Yes it does, and it has an obvious answer. 2 + 2 = 4 because mathematics is a human construct, and humans have decided that it has this answer.

Within the constellation of Orion, there are a couple of stars that move really fast. The question "Why do they move at that speed?" is relevant, and answering it gave us important information about stellar formation.

So, why does the question "Why does this star move at that speed?" have a relevant answer, while with the question "Why does a photon move at that speed?" I should content myself with "It just does"?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I don’t know whether there was an external cause to the Big Bang or not – I don’t see that it’s likely that I will ever know if there was let alone, if there was, what it was. Are you defining god as the cause, if so where did the cause come from? You say first cause as if your god did not have a cause - yet you say that cause is logically necessary. Either keep your cake or eat it, or explain to me how you can do both simultaneously.

This. Could some clever theist offer an answer to this? I’ve often wondered about it, but don’t recall ever seeing a satisfactory answer. I’ve got my pain au chocolat and coffee, and it would be nice to have this sorted out whilst I enjoy them.
The standard atheist comeback "if God caused the universe, what caused God?" to the cosmological argument is plain ignorant, because the classical cosmological argument in its many iterations has never claimed that everything has a cause. The claim rather always has been that everything that comes into being or is contingent has a cause. God does not come into being (is eternal) and isn't contingent (cannot not be), hence He requires no cause. Or better, cannot have a cause. Actually, the cosmological argument is really about showing just that: that there must be something that cannot have a cause, hence does not come into being and exists necessarily, and this something we call "God".

The classical cosmological argument is also not about creation in the sense of a temporal Genesis event (like the Big Bang). That's because the classical cosmological argument is not about "temporal" causation, but about "hierarchical" causation. We are not tracking a time-ordered causal chain of the type "I painted the fence, someone leaned against it, now their clothes are covered in paint". Rather, we are tracking a "hierarchical" causal chain of the type "the brush is putting paint on the fence because the arm holding it is moving it up and down, the arm is moving up and down because of muscle contractions, the muscles are contracting because the painter wills it". In principle, this chain is time-free, even though all these things occur in time. It is a discussion of where the power to do something (here painting the fence) is ultimately coming from, not what happens after something else. And obviously, such a hierarchical chain cannot be endless, because the power of the brush to paint the fence is derived from that of the arm to move up and down, which in turn is derived from the ability of the muscles to contract, which again depends on the will of the painter. Remove that will at any point in time, and all the causal chain grinds to a halt at once. Obviously then, if all steps depend for their power on the previous step to be powered, something must insert that power first, without having to be powered first. In our example the will of the painter is a convenient stopping point, though obviously not a fundamental one (that will comes into being and is contingent...). If we try to track this, and indeed all, through hierarchical causation to some fundamental first source of power, from which all other power is derived through some number of steps, then we find God.

By the way, the theologian most commonly associated with the cosmological argument - St Thomas Aquinas - is also well-known for rejecting the claim that one can prove philosophically that the world had a beginning. He maintained the theoretical possibility of an eternal world forcefully against other scholastic heavyweights, like St Bonaventure . There is no contradiction, because the classical cosmological argument is not about the "Big Bang". It is about God keeping everything in existence all the time, whether that time is finite, has a start but no end, or has neither start nor end.

This video by Dr Edward Feser is a good summary of the classical cosmological argument for modern audiences. I consider this argument to be valid, i.e., I consider the existence of the (metaphysical) God to have been proven by it beyond reasonable doubt.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I consider this argument to be valid, i.e., I consider the existence of the (metaphysical) God to have been proven by it beyond reasonable doubt.
The Mandy Rice-Davies riposte is apposite here, as it would be for my contention that between them, Hume, Kant and Russell blew the cosmological argument out of the water, and that Feser is a tiresome arse.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

Truly? It would appear to be a fundamental human attribute. If we humans did not have this drive to understand, we would not be having this Internet discussion. We would still be just another food source for leopards.
We are as we are because we* have this desire to learn.

*"we" as a function of species. There are obviously individuals who benefit from group membership.

Yes, but if you do it systematically - that is explain every explanation - you end up with an infinite series of explanations. Most people think this is undesirable, as we don't live an infinitely long time.

--------------------

Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfect. My thoughts exactly. :Hug:

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Yesterday I was driving in the rain, thinking mostly about how wet I was going to get going into the grocery store.

Then it occurred to me that I live in a world where water is purified by evaporation, driven hundreds of miles by winds that seem to come out of nowhere, and then released on a landscape that needs that water to sustain life. All of that happens without us doing anything.

That same system can also cause the pitiless demons straight out of Hell known as tornadoes.

It is fantastic, miraculous and complex beyond our wildest imaginations and it is happening all around us all the time. And yet when it rains all we think about is are our windshield wiper in need of a change.

I think if we saw the world that God created for us as the miracle it is we would have more respect for it. We might even be more willing to see God here with us instead of locked away in a church and only let out on Sundays.

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
The Mandy Rice-Davies riposte is apposite here, as it would be for my contention that between them, Hume, Kant and Russell blew the cosmological argument out of the water, and that Feser is a tiresome arse.

Such Bulverism, name dropping and argument ad hominem are just defensive rhetoric. If you can prove the cosmological argument wrong, then go ahead.

There are other arguments for the existence of God that I consider to be possibly successful, like Gödel's ontological proof, Spaemann's grammatical proof or even my own little argument from randomness.

However, the classical cosmological argument is to atheism a lot like the problem of evil is to theism. It is a very real and fundamental challenge, it simply refuses to go away across the centuries, most things said in answer to it are just evasive crap, and facing it head on - as one must to remain intellectually honest - leaves on in a place where one likely did not want to be.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:

A perfect summary! [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016