homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do clergy tithe to their own church(es)?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do clergy tithe to their own church(es)?
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,

Whilst lunching with an Anglican cleric, he implied that he expected most parishoners to give about £1,000 a year to the church. However, I then did a double-take when he mentioned that he gave the same amount to the parish.

I had presumed that as the Anglican clergy were paid by the (National) church, that their working life was a 'tithe' to God, and so did not give to their own parish church themselves.

Also, I vaguely remember reading in a semi-official document on clergy taxation that some clergy 'tithed back' their expenses that the parish had reimbursed, (but I could be mis-remembering this...)

So, in the experience of ship-mates, do clergy tithe to their own churches? Should they do so?

x

AV

[ 11. July 2013, 14:15: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have known clergy that give routinely way above the tithe . It's known as leading by example .

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know from being a counter at our church that our pastor does. I wasn't surprised though. She talks the talk and she isn't insincere, so I figured she should and did.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the clergy I have worked with appear to have tithed.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago I was looking after a small church which had no minister but was expecting to call one. However cash was tight and they weren't sure if they could afford to pay the stipend.

They looked at the accounts and did the sums. Right at the start they decided that the next Minister should be single as the Council Tax would be 25% lower. But there was still a gap of about £1000. "Oh, that's fine", they said, "The Minister's tithe will make that up".

I was horrified and said that they could presume no such thing and that it was up to the incoming Minister to decide how they would use their money! I think they saw my point ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the TEC clergy I've known have tithed. In fact one priest I know (who I believe has some independent means) tithes her gross. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never known clergy not to tithe (where such knowledge was available to me in the first place, of course), but I have known one who caused a minor controversy by choosing to continue to tithe to their previous parish rather than the one they were now leading.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tithing is not common but not unknown in Anglican circles. I suspect what the cleric may have been talking about was the 'parish share' which is a sum of money that each parish pays into the diocesan pot.

But I might be wrong ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

- Posted      Profile for Cedd   Email Cedd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't tithe but I don't claim my expenses either, so it probably works out.

--------------------
Cedd

Churchmanship: This week I am mostly an evangelical, catholic, orthodox with both liberal and illiberal tendancies. Terms and conditions apply.

Posts: 377 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cenobite
Shipmate
# 14853

- Posted      Profile for Cenobite   Email Cenobite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs C and I tithed to the parish church before my ordination. It never occurred to us to do anything other than continue to do so afterwards.

As PaulBC says, it is leading by example (not that we broadcast it, but if ever anyone asks, we don't hide it - the fact that we give, not how much we give!)

--------------------
Cenobite: means "Common Life"; cenobites lived in community, serving one another and the rest of humanity.

Posts: 109 | From: On a journey of discovery. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my non-Anglican experience, clergy do tithe their own parishes. I don't know of any scriptural exceptions for the clergy regarding tithes. We may structure pay packages for clergy for taxation/legal reasons by calling it a stipend, they aren't "employees", etc. but for all practical purposes the pastor gets a paycheck the same as anyone else with a job (albeit usually a poorly paid one). Another reason is to lead by example. Though this is less important as most parishoners don't know the individual contributions, it seems hypocritical for a pastor to preach on tithing when they don't do it themselves.

BTW, getting £1,000 (or about $1,500) from each parishoner in most congregations would be a miracle on par with the fishes and loaves and would probably fix financial problems in many churches. IME, 20% of the people provide 90% of the funds.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my admittedly limited experience, Anglican clergy are often the biggest givers of money to their own churches. It's not always because they're so generous: sometimes it's just that their stipend is the biggest income in the congregation.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do claim expenses in full because a lot of them are tax-deductible.

Better to claim expenses in full and then give the money back than not claim them. With UK tax law, anyway.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another reason for claiming expenses in full is that it makes the parish realise the full cost of ministry. And doesn't set a precedent for one's successor who might be in a different financial situation.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm completely unfamiliar with this subject, what sort of things can a priest claim for on expenses?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has never occurred to me that the Vicar would NOT tithe. Surely, s/he should lead by example?

As for people giving to other needs, rather then the Church, we give our 'quota' to the Diocese. The dioscese sets the figure. We then give 20% of what is left to a number of causes. We select the causes by secret ballot every three years. We are in this process at the moment.

But I would also assume that many of us give a further 10% to causes that are important to us, but are not on the Churches list of causes.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been a parish treasurer and both clergy I worked with tithed (by which I mean that they gave into the church offering, not necessarily that they gave a fixed percentage).

One gave by salary deduction, so it went into our account without them ever seeing it, and the other gave into the loose plate.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I'm completely unfamiliar with this subject, what sort of things can a priest claim for on expenses?

Mileage, theology books, parking fees when visiting, stationery and stamps used on church business, copying at the copy shop, conference or course fees (if agreed with the Treasurer beforehand) ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tithed when I was a layman and did not change my habits when I was ordained. I would find it very difficult to say anything about stewardship if I did not. I claim a little over half of my expenses, eat some, and take my mileage as an unreimbursed business expense.

OTOH, I used to hear a great deal about a well-paid clergyman in this diocese who thought it was OK to give precise 1% of his income to the parish, whilst still claiming expenses! The cat got out of the bag, and it became a huge scandal in the parish, and giving fell off as a result.

Most of the clergy who make anything close to a respectable wage, and most of those who do not, tithe.

PD

[ 12. July 2013, 04:16: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Most of the clergy who make anything close to a respectable wage

Nope, never met one of those...

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. At least the ones I am aware of do.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

The Church of England provides fairly comprehensive information for clergy and treasurers.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the 20% giving 80% of the weekly collection. At least, that's what it was in my parish last fiscal year. Collections have since gone up as many have switched to direct deposit. Of course, that doesn't take into account special collections.

[clarifying word]

[ 12. July 2013, 09:16: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every priest I have known over the years has tithed to his or her parish in the Episcopal Church.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME, it varies. One clergyman I know still makes his primary giving to the church that sponsored him both as an individual in the first place and then helped him financially through his ordination training. He sees it as his 'home church' and the church he plans on retiring back to. Others give to their parish church. Still others give all of their giving to missions work they feel passionate about (e.g. a financially struggling link diocese) or directly to the diocese.
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With 6 churches it gets divided up - varying a bit according to size and mission. Plus the extras that never quite get claimed for.

And I maintain a proportion going to work outside of my context too to keep a balance.

I have standing orders set up so that means the treasurers in each place know - it was interesting at first to have surprised and grateful responses, as if this was not something they expected.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it is anyone's business what people give in the offering to God. For some it is money, for others time and talents. I know of people who avoid church because of the impression that they are only wanted for their money. At one time we had an offering plate at church but I had this changed to bags that didn't display to all and sundry what was given. When it comes to tithing, a tenth of the income of a poor person is a much bigger sacrifice than a tenth of a rich person's income. The widow's mite is worth more than the largesse of any millionaire.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Yes. At least the ones I am aware of do.

All the ones we know do as well. There are variations about what expenses are claimed, but we've always worked on the claim what you're supposed to. It means the congregations are fully aware of their costs and we don't create problems for anyone who comes after us.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had various financial roles in quite a few churches and my observation is that this is an area where the clergy do indeed practice what they preach.

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THe cynical response to that question was on the BBC show Rev. in which Rev says to the Archdeacon something like "If I didn't put money in the collection the income would look totally pathetic."

I know the Minister at my church does (cos I used to do the books) and at a rate far more that $1,000 (or even the equivalent in pounds) a year too.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the Episcopal clergy I know tithe to their church.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tithe to my own parish, though if we were in a better financial state, I might give a portion to a struggling parish.

I don't see the names, but I do see the figures of how much is pledged each year. My giving makes me the third highest giving household in the parish, though I am certain I do not have the third highest income!

I try not to crow about it, but I do make it clear that I tithe to the parish and invite the congregation to do the same. I do this generally in a sermon in our 'Planned Giving' (pledging) season every year.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
Whilst lunching with an Anglican cleric, he implied that he expected most parishoners to give about £1,000 a year to the church. However, I then did a double-take when he mentioned that he gave the same amount to the parish.

This is interesting to me, not that the cleric tithes himself (why wouldn't he?) but that he expects most parishioners to give a certain amount. Wouldn't one's tithe depend on how much one earnt? £1,000 is a tithe of £10,000, so if people were giving their entire tithe to the parish and they made a salary of £10,000 per year, this would be the amount they give. But in reality, some earn more than this and some earn less than this, so I would expect their tithes to vary accordingly.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:

This is interesting to me, not that the cleric tithes himself (why wouldn't he?) but that he expects most parishioners to give a certain amount. Wouldn't one's tithe depend on how much one earnt? £1,000 is a tithe of £10,000, so if people were giving their entire tithe to the parish and they made a salary of £10,000 per year, this would be the amount they give. But in reality, some earn more than this and some earn less than this, so I would expect their tithes to vary accordingly.
Goodness if everybody in our congregations gave £1000 a year our churches wouldn't be in financial trouble.

Having been around churhces a long time and knowing treasurers and gift aid secretaries. I know that in the poor churches I have been a member of, the vicar was often the largest giver inthe congregation.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
I don't see the names, but I do see the figures of how much is pledged each year. My giving makes me the third highest giving household in the parish, though I am certain I do not have the third highest income!

This is something I would expect too. As the clergy, if it is your parish, it is your life, and so you are probably emotionally invested in it to a greater degree than many of your parishioners. Not that they don't care about it, but that their lives are more likely to be more divided. They will often have their own separate workplace which may have charity things and requests for donations, and they may be involved in other Christian voluntary stuff.

I think if I were clergy, with my own parish, I'd give more to the parish, but as it is, as a regular lay person, I feel led to give more of my money to help people in third world countries who are starving, or who need education - that sort of thing.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking from a lay perspective, it seems entirely bizarre to me that a clergy person would tithe to their own parish, or anyone else's. They are doing their part in supporting the church by their work, which demands a huge sacrifice of their personhood, and in return receiving the wherewithall to live. To then have to give part of that back seems quite bizarre. The labourer is worth their hire, to quote someone or other.....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
Speaking from a lay perspective, it seems entirely bizarre to me that a clergy person would tithe to their own parish, or anyone else's. They are doing their part in supporting the church by their work, which demands a huge sacrifice of their personhood, and in return receiving the wherewithall to live. To then have to give part of that back seems quite bizarre. The labourer is worth their hire, to quote someone or other.....

Don't we all (at least in theory) give to God in our work, in our lives, regardless of whether it is a specifically religious job? I feel in my work I am giving my whole self, and that this is for God, even though it is not a religious job. And this seems unrelated to my money - I earn money from my job but the money is still God's, really, because surely all I have, as well as all I am, is God's.
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I think if I were clergy, with my own parish, I'd give more to the parish, but as it is, as a regular lay person, I feel led to give more of my money to help people in third world countries who are starving, or who need education - that sort of thing.

My philosophy is that the tithe is the minimum to give away. I give 10% to my parish, and about another 6% to other charities and causes. I still think 16% is too little, but its commensurate with my current financial state. I do teach my congregation that its the giving that is important, not the recipient - but anecdotal evidence suggests that people who don't give to their parish don't give to other groups either.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The parallel would be the person who is involved in everything the church does, should that person give [i]less[i] than the person who merely warms a pew on Sunday?

I wonder too, does anyone else donate money to their workplace. Church is a special underpaid occupation (at least all the clergy I know get paid rather poorly) where you give back to your work? But then church is special is it?

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

The parallel would be the person who is involved in everything the church does, should that person give [i]less[i] than the person who merely warms a pew on Sunday?

I wonder too, does anyone else donate money to their workplace. Church is a special underpaid occupation (at least all the clergy I know get paid rather poorly) where you give back to your work? But then church is special is it?

It doesn't seem hypocritical to ask the congregation for money to help pay you, and not give any of your own money back? It would to me. (All "you" generic!)
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In a previous existence, I did some voluntary work for a charity, and got to know its employees quite well. Almost every one of them put in a substantial amount of additional voluntary effort for various fundraising activities. I don't know how many of them made direct cash gifts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all did.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
It doesn't seem hypocritical to ask the congregation for money to help pay you, and not give any of your own money back? It would to me. (All "you" generic!)

This raises the question I often feel when the offering is brought forward and I have to say a prayer of dedication over it. Usually this is along the lines of thanking God for his goodness to us, and praying that the gifts will be used for his service and glory. But I know that much of it will be used to pay my stipend (which, in the Baptist setting, is paid directly by the Church rather than indirectly through Parish Share and the like). I wonder how many of the congregation make the connection?
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

In a previous existence, I did some voluntary work for a charity, and got to know its employees quite well. Almost every one of them put in a substantial amount of additional voluntary effort for various fundraising activities. I don't know how many of them made direct cash gifts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all did.
Many people give in the ways they can to various causes including the church. I know lay folk whose finances are too tight to give much but being un or under employed give of the time they are richer in than others.

And how often do people give in non cash ways - baking for church events, buying something without claiming expenses, printing on home machines etc.

Clergy also find ourselves doing and buying things without claiming because it just needed to be done, we knew the church funds were low, or....

So the cash in and out books don't account for all that is offered.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind the clergy, what about paid church "servants"? I get paid far, far less than our house-for-duty half-time only parish priest although I put in significantly more hours and don't get a house. But I'm always being badgered for stewardship money, etc.

And the PP is quite capable of advising wedding couples not to advise about a wedding video because "they're poor and can't afford the extra fee" - which is part of my income [Mad]

On the whole I agree that it is bizarre to expect clergy to donate to their employer, I just wish parishes applied that common-sense approach to organists and vergers.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

And the PP is quite capable of advising wedding couples not to advise about a wedding video because "they're poor and can't afford the extra fee" - which is part of my income [Mad]

That's theft - surely it's worth having words with the Musicians' Union about that.
If they can't afford the video, including proper fees to the organist and/or any other musicians, they should be advised not to have the video, rather than to have it then lie by omission. Who in the world ever watches their wedding video anyway?
[/tangent]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:

I guess it depends on the type of workplace - I've found it happens in care type jobs, and jobs working with children, for instance. I work in a very underpaid job where many of us do donate money to our work, and we do fundraising events too, in our own time, that we don't get paid for. I work with severely disabled children. I guess a lot of the staff care about the children in a way that goes beyond just going to work and earning money - you kind of have to in a job like this, because the pay is so low it wouldn't be worth it otherwise.

I guess the giving aspect is less structured than a church setting - it's not so much donating money into an offering box, or setting aside a tithe or anything, but it's more buying things with our own money to give to the children, to use in the classroom, and volunteering our time in fundraising events, and also spending our own money in these fundraising events, such as buying things like raffle tickets, etc.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Teachers routinely buy resources to use in the classroom. In some schools there might be a budget to buy games, etc. but this won't necessarily cover everything you might want to buy. In any case, if you move schools you might want to take some of this stuff with you, especially since what works for one teacher might not work for another.

EFL and ESOL teachers routinely have to buy or use their own materials to supplement what might be a very dull course book, since some language schools are reluctant to spend their profits on this kind of thing.

[ 23. July 2013, 01:12: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Teachers routinely buy resources to use in the classroom.
Yes - I did that regularly over 35 years as an RE teacher.

[ 23. July 2013, 17:33: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fwiw, We tithe, but only about 40% of our tithe goes to the church where I serve, the rest being divided among another church I attend regularly and some mission and humanitarian aid organizations we support.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet asks:
quote:
A surprising number of people, although it perhaps tends to be more in the human services sector. Almost everyone I know who is employed in shelters, humane societies, human rights stuff, etc., regularly donates to their employers. I think they all assist in fundraising efforts in their own time. I am aware of several who make provision in their wills in favour of their employers. One of my former public service colleagues, on departing this mortal coil, was found to have left a twelfth of his substance to the national deficit reduction fund.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016