homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What makes you furious? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What makes you furious?
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wishandaprayer:
Surely this isn't the place for people to impose their culturally formed (evolved?! [Big Grin] ) views onto others. It all stinks of total moral absolutism - I know the best way, so you better fall in line.

Thanks, but no thanks.

It works both ways - from those who abhor swearing and from those who practice it.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It's also about forum rules, isn't it?

Sort of .... but more an informed discussion about forum rules.

Most people just look foolish when swearing. If you can switch it on and off, why don't you use the off switch all the time? What point are you trying to make, what are you aiming to gain or look like?

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

Most people just look foolish when swearing. If you can switch it on and off, why don't you use the off switch all the time? What point are you trying to make, what are you aiming to gain or look like?

Well, if you don't like swearing, why do you come here? There are tons of forums which ban it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most people just look foolish when swearing.

This is your perception, not a universal truth.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Most people just look foolish when swearing.

This is your perception, not a universal truth.
As is anyone who says that swearing is ok.
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all about perception, isn't it?
'I use vigorous language, you are a bit outspoken, he is a foul-mouthed boor.'

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also about free speech?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, if you don't like swearing, why do you come here? There are tons of forums which ban it.
I've never been a fan of the "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" attitude as it can exclude the very person who can give a warning when the group is headed in the wrong direction*. While the 10C's don't forbid swearing it's clear from them, the board guidelines and the FAQs that "strong language" should be used creatively.

*eg, "Are you sure that strawberry omelette needs anchovies, Heston?"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I am usually very creative with swearing. Occasionally, I fall into the mundane and the quotidian, but I usually recover myself, and enter into another purple patch, even Keatsian at times, I venture to say.

--------------------

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
What makes me furious is the fact that Ship of Fools won't clean up it's act and ban all swearing from it's boards.

What makes me furious is aberrant apostrophe's. [Biased]
Sorry to offend you, but at 86 years old I have only just found out what aberrant apostrophe is.
I was too busy working at 14 years old to learn all the details.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It just seems odd to me that people come to this forum, which is known as a lively and irreverent one, and then complain. There are tons of nice polite Christian forums, where swearing isn't allowed, aren't there?

It's like going to the pub, and complaining that you don't like all the alcohol around.

I have already stopped going on the Hell site I don't want to stop all the posts in purgatory. but it might have to come to that.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Well, I am very sorry about that. I think that at the age of 86, you are entitled to some comfort and ease. I shall endeavour to reduce my sweary quotient if I hail you on the fo'c'sle.

--------------------

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

quote:
Well, I am very sorry about that. I think that at the age of 86, you are entitled to some comfort and ease. I shall endeavour to reduce my sweary quotient if I hail you on the fo'c'sle.

Good of you [Biased]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by quetzacoatl

I don't really understand this view which seems to amount to the idea that you must either like everything about ship of fools or nothing about it. Swearing doesn't bother me at all although I don't see the point of it, but there are several things I don't like about the ship of fools. The reason I sometimes come here is that there are also several things I do like.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost never swear. I believe swearing is too useful to be indulged in willy-nilly. It is a great way to vent anger and frustration - thus I use it as sparingly as I can.

This has the added benefit that when I do swear, my family and friends know that I am truly in earnest!

[Smile]

[ 30. July 2013, 06:52: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016