homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The unwritten rules of friendship

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The unwritten rules of friendship
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that some people have a very good sense of how to proceed in friendship, others less so. To get us started, I'm wondering whether we can parse some of the unwritten general rules for the following situations:

Situation 1. One person is interested in being friends with someone who does not share this interest.

Situation 2: Two people have been friends for a long time. One person wants to spend more time and energy on the friendship than the other does.

Situation 3: Friends X and Y are from two different cultures with very different definitions of friendship.

Add your own. And what bearing might Christianity---and Facebook---have on all of this?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I do not have a natural sense of how to proceed in friendship, but from what I have observed, it is very context dependent, and so there aren't necessarily general rules you can apply to all situations. Much of it is about being aware of the other person and their individual temperament, culture and preferences, and adapting accordingly.

For instance, some people might be impressed or flattered that you pursued a friendship with them when they didn't want one. Others would be annoyed, or creeped out. And the way you would pursue the friendship (if it was appropriate to pursue it) would again depend on the person.

For situation 2, again it's dependent on the situation. One person might be unable to put so much time and effort in due to other things going on in their lives - maybe they are depressed, for instance - and so they may appreciate the other person putting in more effort. On the other hand, they may want to cool off the friendship - maybe they don't feel such a bond with the person - in which case, it might not be appropriate for the person to keep putting in the same amount of time and effort.

For situation 3, surely this is a discussion you have with the other person - you learn about each other's cultures and expectations, and if you want to develop a friendship, you learn to compromise and adapt. These are my favourite sort of friendships, because they are so open about what friendship is, and exploring and accepting differences. You don't have unwritten rules in these friendships, because you come to the friendship with an understanding that you need to clarify things because of cultural differences.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been very good at making friends - actively, anyway. People generally like me, but almost no one initiates plans to do stuff, etc. Occasionally I try, with mixed success. I think growing up in the woods (raised by human parents, not wolves) had a bad effect on my social skills, perhaps. We never learned how to initiate friendships - our friends came with their parents, who were our parents' friends.

That said (providing it doesn't disqualify me from saying anything on the subject), I think with the situations named above:

1. You have to be willing to shrug it off.
2. You have to be willing to shrug it off and remain content with the friendship as it is.
3. You have to be aware, and be open to learning as much as you can. Take an interest in the other's culture, but don't make them feel like they're a curiosity, especially if they're from a minority culture and you're not. Other than that, just treat them as you would any friend, I would think. But I'm not part of a minority culture, so it would be helpful to hear about this from someone who is.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to both be willing to help out the other one when necessary. If the helping is all one way, it becomes a very unhealthy relationship.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anna B: Situation 1. One person is interested in being friends with someone who does not share this interest.
I'm not sure if it works like this. I think friendships are different from romantic relationships. I have never actively pursued a friendship in the sense of "I'd be interested in being friends with this person." It just happens.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friendship is contextual, IMO. My parametres with different friends are what have been worked out, mostly unsaid, with what we are each comfortable with. It is not always consistent or smooth and has lead to interesting intersections in some groups.
I have been on both sides of the varied levels of interest, and it is not always easy in either case.
IME, Christianity is only the barrier/facilitator one wished to make it.
I think Facebook makes things worse, though in honesty, I must own that I fairly much hate Facebook.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a youngster, I used to go round friends houses, never mine...much too tense and problematic.

It took me ages to work out that when someone came to see me, for f***'s sake make them a cup of tea .

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Anna B: Situation 1. One person is interested in being friends with someone who does not share this interest.
I'm not sure if it works like this. I think friendships are different from romantic relationships. I have never actively pursued a friendship in the sense of "I'd be interested in being friends with this person." It just happens.
I think this depends on the person. I know people who do pursue friendships like this. Particularly if they move to a new place and don't know anyone - in this situation, making friends has to be more of a deliberate thing than it is in a situation such as university, where you're surrounded by people to hang out with and have fun with.

Friendships never 'just happen' for me. The close friendships I have are when the other person actively sought to have a friendship with me, and took steps to make it happen. They did the work in pursuing the friendship - not because I didn't want a friendship, but because I simply wasn't thinking in those terms, and also I didn't know how.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:

Friendships never 'just happen' for me. The close friendships I have are when the other person actively sought to have a friendship with me, and took steps to make it happen. They did the work in pursuing the friendship - not because I didn't want a friendship, but because I simply wasn't thinking in those terms, and also I didn't know how. [/QB]

Interesting. I've been musing on a quote from Facebook that I saw recently, which said something like:
"You don't make friends, you recognise them".
I thought it was a very clever observation, but clearly it doesn't apply to everyone. I have started to be friends with people who seemed nice enough, but were strangely unresponsive to my friendly overtures. I thought they 'just weren't that into me' (in a platonic way), and moved on. Maybe I should have tried a bit harder.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has to be a mutuality. It can also be tiring to maintain or make new friends. I've had 3 best friends over the course of my life. The first moved away for education after we were both in our 20s, and we only talk a couple of times a year at most. A second died after 15 years of our friendship, and a third also died 20 or so years after the second. I've limited energy or inclination for the highly personal close friendships since. Better is friends who share some interests and there is mutual enjoyment of company. I'd prefer also that they were healthy!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with no prophet, there has to be a mutuality.
It has been a painful journey for me to over the years to discover where that mutuality did and didn't actually exist. Being a member of a school staff team or a very active local church and then moving on from both and realising where there really was an enduring mutual relationship and where there sadly wasn't (far less than you'd think!)
Now having come to live in Kenya, I'm further discovering who can do long distance mutual relationships and it's even fewer people.
It makes me a little bit sad but it also makes the few enduring friendships I do have even more precious.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I´m drafting an email now to our new curate whom I´ve never met. It won´t end in friendship. It can´t. Mutual friendship is incredibly rare. I have it in my marriage more than anywhere in 60 years. And in an even more subjective, untransferable, broken, mystical, projected way with Jesus.

My wife and I have only just realised that friendship in church is impossible. That´s after decades of church. In a church of 750 people.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young come to mind: Love The One You´re With. Regardless. Unconditionally.

We definitely do friendship through a glass darkly.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really hoping this thread comes up with some answers. I'm no good at friendship. I have very few friends (one person other than family with whom I have intentional social contact on any kind of regular basis). The ones I have had I have lost - through my own carelessness, I am sure.

I am lonely.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
I'm really hoping this thread comes up with some answers. I'm no good at friendship.

My own journey has been a combination of this and what Churchgeek said above. I don't know what attracts two people to each other. Somehow or other you just enjoy talking to each other, doing things together, sharing experiences. There are many more rejections than connections.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting discussion. My best friend I met 30 years ago. On the surface, we have very, very little in common, with the exception that when we met we were both active scout leaders. He is a tradesman,self educated, physically active and miles away from the form of Christianity I practice, beyond the fact that we are both faithful Christians.

Over 30 years, our friendship has evolved, especially in the last 7 years when he moved out of town. But when we phone, or visit, the years melt away as we enjoy memories of our shared experiences and enjoy new ones. That, to me, is friendship. Over the years, I have met friends who become friends for a reason, then fade away as our requirement for friendship fades. It doesn't mean we aren't pleased to meet and greet - I had three examples of that just yesterday, while shopping. Then there are friends who are friends for a season. Once the reason for friendship fades or is broken, it is as if we had never met.

That's life. For what it's worth I expect 40 friends and 10 relatives at my upcoming birthday party. None of them will be casual acquaintances.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
My wife and I have only just realised that friendship in church is impossible. That´s after decades of church. In a church of 750 people.

I think that's mostly true but I think it's also true of the model railroad club and the community orchestra and the job you work. Almost everyone you meet is there to relate to the organization they were part of before you came and will be part of after you leave. You as a uniquely interesting individual are incidental to why they are there, and your role is to be a replaceable cog in the organization, not to be uniquely interesting.

Rarely when you attend an organizational event that people go to primarily because they are part of the organization, rarely you can create a personal friendship that will survive even if one or both of you depart the organization, but it's rare because time together is focused on the organization and it's programs and needs, not on building personal relationships.

And it takes intentional reaching out - "let's get together for supper at my place" - and a lot of people will be puzzled and say no because their only interest in you is as a cog in the organizational machinery so why would they have supper with you unless to discuss an organizational project?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Erroneous Monk: I'm really hoping this thread comes up with some answers. I'm no good at friendship. I have very few friends (one person other than family with whom I have intentional social contact on any kind of regular basis). The ones I have had I have lost - through my own carelessness, I am sure.

I am lonely.

I'm not sure if I can be of much help here, it isn't a conscious effort for me.

Once, I moved into a new city in another country. In the department I worked, most people were from abroad, and some were a bit lost there. I just said: "Let's all have dinner in a restaurant some evening." Maybe when you don't know many people, it's good to band together with people who are in the same situation.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it might be worth parsing out what 'friendship' is; I think there are different sorts of friendship.

Examples:

'mutual aid' connections, as one might have with a neighbor: we trim the hedge between our properties jointly, or you drive me grocery shopping in exchange for my watching your kids on bridge club night. We might or might not have much in common; we might or might not really "take" to each other, but it's a pleasant enough connection, and we help each other out.

'mutual interest' connections, as one bridge payer might form with a fellow bridge player. You meet & interact initially over a joint interest, and from that may spring a mutual attraction that spills over into other areas.

'mutual alliance' connections, where the bond is formed through dealing with some opposition together -- you & your co-worker or classmate struggle together to deal with a difficult boss or professor, or you and another family member figure out what to do about Aunt Sadie's outrageous behavior.

'mutual confidant' connections, where the bond is sharing personal hopes, aims, problems, and so on, sometimes just for venting, sometimes perhaps for advice.

And on and on -- but the point is that each of these kids of connections calls for differing 'rules.' The neighbor I trim my hedge with is not necessarily the person in whom I confide my fears about my husband's drinking.

And yes, it's all somewhat fraught, at least among people of my gender. I may be wrong, but I suspect female-female friendships differ from male-male friendships which in turn differ from male-female friendships. In the church I used to attend, for example, most members seemed to assume that male-female friendships weren't actually possible, and always really involved some sort of hanky-panky. Incredibly annoying.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mrs Cniht and I met two couples that are now close friends through church. Mind you, the initial meeting with one couple involved two pregnant ladies lying on the floor in the church hall to try to ameliorate a bout of morning sickness - that tends to be a bonding experience.

Following Porridge, I've always found the idea that men and women can't be friends odd - I've had several good female friends over the years, without the merest hint of sexual interest on either side. Yet almost without fail, if I go somewhere with a female friend but without Mrs Cniht, someone assumes that the two of us are married.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem with definitions is that friendship boundaries are plastic, IME. And expectations are not always the same between friends, or even consistent. Or static.
I laugh at the notion that men and women cannot be friends. Both that this is untrue and that attraction v. friendship issues are restricted to crossing genders.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ancient wisdom is if you want friends, be friendly. And nothing works like hospitality.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One would think. But it doesn't always happen that way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two weeks running, I've had a date in my diary for drinks with a couple of work friends. Today's the second time it's been cancelled. I feel like I've failed at the most basic thing - going for a few beers with friends after work. But I'm also sort of relieved that I don't have to do it.

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye Amanda B. Reckondwythe, that´s how it works. Badly. Brokenly. That´s how everything works. That´s OK. The alternative?

Slowly die.

Erroneous Monk. No church? No fellowship? No homeless shelter? No family? I´m hurting behind the eyes mate, believe me. They won´t come to you. You must go to them. Seek them out. Hospital visiting. Prison visiting. Step up mate.

--------------------
Love wins

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Aye Amanda B. Reckondwythe, that´s how it works. Badly. Brokenly. That´s how everything works. That´s OK. The alternative?

Slowly die.

Erroneous Monk. No church? No fellowship? No homeless shelter? No family? I´m hurting behind the eyes mate, believe me. They won´t come to you. You must go to them. Seek them out. Hospital visiting. Prison visiting. Step up mate.

If/when I decide to die, I'll be going quickly, not slowly. But thanks anyway Martin.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm really hoping this thread comes up with some answers. I'm no good at friendship. I have very few friends (one person other than family with whom I have intentional social contact on any kind of regular basis). The ones I have had I have lost - through my own carelessness, I am sure.

I am lonely.

Lonely? So am I - sort of - some of the time. But not enough, I think, for it to be an urge, a driver, a hunger which forces me out of my comfort zone to approach people I kind of like and ask them if they'd like to do something sometime, to take the risk of them drawing in their chins and looking surprised and saying....'uhm...I'm actually kinda busy this week'.

Approaching my birthday, about a month ago, I actually felt well enough, and energetic enough, that I thought, I know, I'll make myself a fancy cake and have some folk around for afternoon tea (it's ok, I like making cakes) - and what actually happened was my immediate family, my mum, and my auntie and uncle-in-law eating some cake and chips.

I was a bit let down at having failed to convince anyone else to come along, but then I thought, this is the flipside of my not being prepared to spend long hours making the right noises as people talk about stuff which doesn't interest me, of not avidly following and commenting on everyone's blog/facebook page. Of having moved away from the town in which I grew up, and the city in which I studied. And none of these are things I regret. There may only be twenty people at my funeral, and eighteen of them family. So be it. That's me. That's who I am.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Two weeks running, I've had a date in my diary for drinks with a couple of work friends. Today's the second time it's been cancelled. I feel like I've failed at the most basic thing - going for a few beers with friends after work. But I'm also sort of relieved that I don't have to do it.

I can really, really, identify with this, too. And I think the nubbin of the problem is in the disappointed/relieved dimension. It marks you out as different from the people for whom mere acquaintanceship is sufficient, the people whose diaries are plenty full anyway, the people who habitually say yes to engagements whether or not they intend to keep them. All these groups, they're not going to care one way or another.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:

I can really, really, identify with this, too. And I think the nubbin of the problem is in the disappointed/relieved dimension. It marks you out as different from the people for whom mere acquaintanceship is sufficient, the people whose diaries are plenty full anyway, the people who habitually say yes to engagements whether or not they intend to keep them. All these groups, they're not going to care one way or another.
I think I love you. But you're in New Zealand. [Frown]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Is there a tropical island somewhere with a balmy year-round climate where we can all retire to, build ourselves a manse, and live out our years all together in mutual friendship -- sort of like the grace and favor where the Are You Being Served crew ended up?

Of course, a good internet connection would be essential.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loneliness might deserve its own thread?

-- I think internet forums are one way of dealing with it. I've thought that churches are another.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I love you. But you're in New Zealand. [Frown]
Aww shucks, thanks... [Hot and Hormonal]

On a related note, one of the things that's so nice about this forum is that there seem to be fewer 'rules of friendship', and most of them are, thankfully, written down.

I have met people who are highly skeptical of the idea that you can have meaningful friendships online - I wonder if these same people came up with the phrase 'in real life' to describe life off-line, as though no-one ever did anything online except fantasy role play gaming (and surely meaningful relationships can be forged via that kind of medium as well?) - anyway, tangent aside, I think one of the great things about these boards is that the group nature of the discussions, and the necessary time-lag between areas of the world, means that there is simply no point in wondering whether anyone has noticed or appreciated your contribution. As a result, I don't start worrying about whether people don't like me if they ignore (or *apparently* ignore) my posts. So much less nerve-wracking than 'real-life'.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Loneliness might deserve its own thread?

-- I think internet forums are one way of dealing with it. I've thought that churches are another.

I note you put that last sentence in the past tense. I expect it can work for the right sort of person, which is also the sort of person who for whom joining a squash club, or toastmasters, or the local chapter of their flavour of political party would work. Someone for whom the word 'networking' doesn't cause a cold sweat and heart palpitations. I prefer to meet people in ones or twos - and not in that awful pressured after-service coffee environment where folk stand around in little knots trading trivialities, and you look like a knob if you have no-one to talk to. There's a word for that, and it's 'networking' [shudder].

[ 27. July 2013, 09:57: Message edited by: anoesis ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just notice how much less I meet friends now. I recall an obituary of Ted Hughes by a friend of his, who said 'we learned to leave each other alone', and that has stuck in my mind, as it has happened to me.

The most extreme example is a friend of mine who is dying, who announced that he didn't want any more visitors. Some people were upset by this, but I wasn't; I send him a good-bye letter, which felt fine.

I suppose many people become more introverted as they get older, but it is not a rule!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's easier to have close friends when you are single - the chances of you and your partner getting on equally well with your friend and her partner is quite small.

However, I discovered the advantage of trading a few close friends for many wider friendships, and this is the way I tend to operate now, both online and in real life situations.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
It's easier to have close friends when you are single - the chances of you and your partner getting on equally well with your friend and her partner is quite small.

Ain't that the truth...

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
However, I discovered the advantage of trading a few close friends for many wider friendships, and this is the way I tend to operate now, both online and in real life situations.

I am still yearning for the close friend - preferably an introverted type. Oddly enough my husband filled this space for quite a number of years, but our lives, outside of our mutual battle to cope with the kids, seem too different for this at the moment.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Is there a tropical island somewhere with a balmy year-round climate where we can all retire to, build ourselves a manse, and live out our years all together in mutual friendship -- sort of like the grace and favor where the Are You Being Served crew ended up?

Of course, a good internet connection would be essential.

Try Fiji! It's certainly worth a reconnaissance trip. Of tropical islands I know, only Hawai'i has better infrastructure, but the cost of living is much higher and the people are less friendly.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
I am still yearning for the close friend - preferably an introverted type. Oddly enough my husband filled this space for quite a number of years, but our lives, outside of our mutual battle to cope with the kids, seem too different for this at the moment.

Just wanted to say I really identify with this too. Sometimes I really miss my husband's friendship.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

EM. Your in box is full.

--------------------
Love wins

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
EM. Your in box is full.

It's only taken 7 years [Smile] .

I've deleted some.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sometimes I really miss my husband's friendship.
This isn't all-saints...but I want to add something along the lines that tough jobs, divergent personal ambitions, the pressures which come with kids and, heck, a deep-rooted lack of maturity leading to selfishness and defensiveness on both our parts, stretched me and the missus way beyond friendship and probably beyond even liking each other, much.

I'm glad to say that after six months couples' counselling, and in the midst of some fairly substantial life changes, we can now manage a conversation from time to time which feels more substantial, and mutual, than that which we can manage with anyone else. (And we both have a few friends, one or two close, outside of marriage). This feels immensely satisfying, and reminds me why we started all this.

We also fall out a lot. But hey, I wanted to be encouraging, and perhaps to suggest to anyone out there as tight as I am that 40 quid an hour *might* end up feeling like a worthwhile present to yourselves.

cheers

Mark

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my closest friends, of 55 years' standing, died unexpectedly last year, leaving me shocked and bereft. It also made me realise how much I value my remaining friends and my resolution for 2013 has been to see at least one of them at least once a week. It hasn't always been possible (family problems have sometimes taken up too much time) but on the whole I have stuck to it and as a result have had many enjoyable meetings over coffee or lunch and feel that the relationships have deepened. Friendships need to be nurtured just like any other relationship and we get out of them what we put into them.

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Some of my closest friends have been fellow choristers, which just goes to show how having a special interest or hobby in common can help to glue friendships together. Today I went to visit someone from the choir before last, on Saturday I went to the wedding of someone who used to sing in my present choir, and next week I'm going to the wedding of someone from the first choir I ever sang in. These are very long term friendships, we don't see each other very often, but meet up and continue as if there has never been a gap.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016