homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Heresy (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heresy
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

- Posted      Profile for Isaac David   Author's homepage   Email Isaac David   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originbally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Nicholasī slapping of Ariusī face was the greater heresy.

The Lord Jesus and The Theotokos say otherwise (scroll to the end).

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Forget philosophy. Read Borges.

Posts: 1280 | From: Middle Exile | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then the Lord and the Theotokos go beyond themselves and contradict themselves. Iīm sure itīs all true Isaac David, being the violence of the extra-incarnate God, but He has no sway with me unless the incarnate Son shows that He is His express image in any meaningful way that way.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

- Posted      Profile for Isaac David   Author's homepage   Email Isaac David   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that makes any originbally sense to me, but I think we will have to agree to disagree. [Biased]

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Does anyone accuse anyone else of heresy these days? Yes, we all criticise each other's theology: too liberal or too fundamentalist or too non-committal, to put it extremely crudely. But does the word heresy have any currency outside of discussions like this, or gentle ribbing between friendly people of different persuasions?

I don't see how Anglicans in their broad church manner, or small denominations of relatively recent vintage, or the vast number of Protestant denominations that grudgingly or willingly tolerate ecumenical diversity, can have any truck with a word like heresy. To me, the word is of little use outside of a historical RC context.

How would you, anyone, describe an Anglican vicar telling his congregation that the Holy Spirit was being blocked in the spirit world from joining their church service but a triple shout-out by those present would have such power in that spirit world that the Holy Spirit would be able to get through to them.

Not an academic question - I was there - only a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure that, sixty years ago, that would have been considered a heresy by the wife of the then incumbent of the same church!

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ID, I fail to see what we disagree on unless you proclaim the violent loss of control of God incarnate?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HughWillRidme
quote:
How would you, anyone, describe an Anglican vicar telling his congregation that the Holy Spirit was being blocked in the spirit world from joining their church service but a triple shout-out by those present would have such power in that spirit world that the Holy Spirit would be able to get through to them.

Potty! Bonkers! Nutty........but would not dignify it with Heresy. A matter for medics in white coats not black-hooded inquisitors!

In my book the same would go for Mormonism and similar snake-oil rubbish.

My basic problem with "heresy" is that it's been used as a means of excluding well-reasoned arguments by force (slapping!) rather than a reliance on better arguments. If I'm led to reject Arianism it's not because the stake awaits if I don't, but because I find the arguments against its position are convincing. Similarly, I might be a Chalcedonian Christian, but do I have to define the Miaphysites and Diophysites as heretics?

What further puzzles me about heresy is how it can be distinguished from disagreements with majority-held beliefs that are not regarded as heretical.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye, thatīs not even heresy.

--------------------
Love wins

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

Weird but harmless.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If he meant it itīs not harmless Marvin The Martian. If heīs not open to questioning itīs not harmless. Like the claim from our new curate that a woman praying at the foot of the cross, in the slightly wilder and woollier service recently, saw an angel.

--------------------
Love wins

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What harm can it do?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Marvin t[T]he Martian. Do you mean that there is so much of this unchallengable dross in the even greater morass of irrelevant Christian parallel play, any more doesnīt matter?

--------------------
Love wins

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

No, I mean "what harm can it do?". Who will be hurt, and in what way, by someone preaching a bunch of weird shit?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, some people don't agree with the idea that our actions or faith have any impact on the extent to which God can work in a certain area. Personally, I think it's a thoroughly biblical idea but I sense from previous discussions on the Ship that perhaps I'm in a minority...

Furthermore, the vicar in question was claiming some rather special knowledge as to exactly what was needed in order to release the Holy Spirit to do his work in their meeting. That's quite a bold claim...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harmless in itself, perhaps, but it suggests to me that the vicar in question really needs help- pastoral and perhaps psychiatric.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
South Coast Kevin
quote:
Furthermore, the vicar in question was claiming some rather special knowledge as to exactly what was needed in order to release the Holy Spirit to do his work in their meeting. That's quite a bold claim...

Setting aside a full-blown charge of heresy, I agree that something should be done about this. Perhaps the vicar might be invited to explain herself to her bishop, who would probably have to point out to her the implications of her position. If her explanation is coherent, it would be fascinating to know what it was. She might, of course, be a mystic. In which case she could be invited to become an anchorite or something. It may well be the case that she should be relieved of her present station as her theology would appear to be outside the generous boundaries of the C of E. None of this requires her to be branded as a heretic. She can be regarded as Christian but not an appropriate advocate for the C of E version.
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a bit of luck, the words 'heresy' and 'blasphemy' will soon be associated only with their use in history, not be considered useful today.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
With a bit of luck, the words 'heresy' and 'blasphemy' will soon be associated only with their use in history, not be considered useful today.

That will only happen once our Lord returns. Until then they are quite relevant.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

Do atheists believe in 'luck'?

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

Not an academic question - I was there - only a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure that, sixty years ago, that would have been considered a heresy by the wife of the then incumbent of the same church!

Many would disapprove of this man's theology, but Anglicans disapprove of each other's theology quite often, so it seems. That in itself is hardly enough to justify bandying about the word 'heresy', is it? If it were then the CofE would have to be described as one big den of competing heresies!

By the way, did the vicar give a reason as to why the Holy Spirit was being 'blocked in the spirit world'?

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

Many apologies, got the sex of the vicar wrong in my previous post. [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] That's a modern heresy!
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
the CofE would have to be described as one big den of competing heresies!

What a marvellous idea! It would certainly save the trouble of compiling a list.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Well, some people don't agree with the idea that our actions or faith have any impact on the extent to which God can work in a certain area. Personally, I think it's a thoroughly biblical idea but I sense from previous discussions on the Ship that perhaps I'm in a minority...

That's as maybe, but disagreeing with something someone says isn't the same as being harmed by it. Martin's assertion was that it's harmful, and I'm still waiting for any explanation or justification of that claim.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point, MtM; I forgot to speculate on the harm such a belief might cause. I think it was Gamaliel in particular who took great exception to my suggestion that Christians have some influence over what and how God works in any given situation. Maybe he'll explain why he thinks it's a dangerous viewpoint. In the meantime, I'll have a go... [Smile]

I suppose it puts a lot of power and responsibility onto our plates as Christians, saying that God intervenes only to the extent that his people trust and have faith in him. Critics would perhaps say that it elevates us to equality with or even superiority over God, to say that he is somehow limited by us. It's a controversial viewpoint which, if incorrect, gives a highly distorted picture of our relationship with God.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
It's a controversial viewpoint which, if incorrect, gives a highly distorted picture of our relationship with God.

And that is harmful because...?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

OK Marvin the Martian. Om projecting obviously. I feel harmed. I see harm. The absence of strong benevolence is harmful. Not neutral. Christians doing weird shit is shitty. Is substituting shit for benevolent strength. Thatīs some opportunity cost. Is failing to be Christian. To be evangelistic, inclusive, sound, healing, helpful, sacrificial, open, transparent, accountable. Itīs succeeding at being toxic, closed, weird, uneverything in the previous sentence.

Itīs epistemologically the equivalent of walling your co-delusionsists in and the Holy Spirit out.

Iīll tell you if I was right about your response.

--------------------
Love wins

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
That will only happen once our Lord returns. Until then they are quite relevant.

Is there not just an element of dout in your mind; even just the most miniscule of doubts; about whether this will ever happen? Do you agree that it would defy every understanding of physics, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac David:
Do atheists believe in 'luck'?

[Big Grin] I cannot speak for every atheist of course, but the ones I know know for certain that anything that happens which seems to be lucky is entirely due to random chance, however widely we may fling around the word luck! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

It's not just weird shit. The idea that the Holy Spirit is 'blocked' in the spirit world and needs to be 'rescued' by some activity of the congregation sounds like a pagan import and pretty close to magic.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What has physics etc. got to do with it?
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

South Coast Kevin
quote:
I suppose it puts a lot of power and responsibility onto our plates as Christians, saying that God intervenes only to the extent that his people trust and have faith in him. Critics would perhaps say that it elevates us to equality with or even superiority over God, to say that he is somehow limited by us. It's a controversial viewpoint which, if incorrect, gives a highly distorted picture of our relationship with God.

Isn't the point that both positions are controversial, and both have been and continue to be held by Christians? The problem, however, cannot be resolved satisfactorily by one side having the power to designate the other heretical, thereby closing down what ought to be a continuing discussion.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
OK Marvin the Martian. Om projecting obviously. I feel harmed. I see harm. The absence of strong benevolence is harmful. Not neutral. Christians doing weird shit is shitty. Is substituting shit for benevolent strength. Thatīs some opportunity cost. Is failing to be Christian. To be evangelistic, inclusive, sound, healing, helpful, sacrificial, open, transparent, accountable. Itīs succeeding at being toxic, closed, weird, uneverything in the previous sentence.

I just don't see it. Sure, it's weird and bizarre and maybe even paganistic as Isaac David asserts, but it's not hurting anyone so what's the frigging problem?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's necessarily hurting anyone in itself, but to me it poses some very big questions about whether this character is actually fit- principally, I mean psychologically- for the duties of a parish priest. Frankly, I'd say that someone who comes out with this kind of thing needs at least a good long rest and possibly psychiatric treatment. This is in the interests of his parishioners as much as it is in his own interest.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I was right.

--------------------
Love wins

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I was right.

I'm sure you were, but that's hardly advancing the conversation is it?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

quote:
I was right.

I suspected you would be.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac David:
It's not just weird shit. The idea that the Holy Spirit is 'blocked' in the spirit world and needs to be 'rescued' by some activity of the congregation sounds like a pagan import and pretty close to magic.

What sort of paganism do you think it's imported from, Isaac, or are you just using the term perjoratively? It sounds to me like the sort of thing that I've always imagined goes on in those sort of churches.
[Devil]

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

[Smile] both. Well, the conversation is at an impasse. But the metanarrative? You wonīt see it MtM and I canīt possibly make you.

And Isaac David, I feel I may be smiling in to the abyss here. Is it smiling back?

[ 24. July 2013, 15:30: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
Isn't the point that both positions are controversial, and both have been and continue to be held by Christians? The problem, however, cannot be resolved satisfactorily by one side having the power to designate the other heretical, thereby closing down what ought to be a continuing discussion.

I agree, Kwesi. With any doctrinal / practical issue, we may agree or disagree (perhaps strongly) with the position someone is espousing. That's fine, let's have the discussion. But let's have the discussion without using terms like heresy, which (ISTM) simply serve to close down conversation and put people beyond the pale of permitted viewpoints.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
[Smile] both. Well, the conversation is at an impasse. But the metanarrative? You wonīt see it MtM and I canīt possibly make you.

Look, it's really simple. All you need to do is state the effect such preaching has, and why that effect is harmful.

That you are apparently unable to do so without blathering on about irrelevant stuff like "metanarratives" suggests that you don't have a leg to stand on.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:

I agree, Kwesi. With any doctrinal / practical issue, we may agree or disagree (perhaps strongly) with the position someone is espousing. That's fine, let's have the discussion. But let's have the discussion without using terms like heresy, which (ISTM) simply serve to close down conversation and put people beyond the pale of permitted viewpoints.
The thing is, given your view here, how should the Church have addressed the Arian controversy, for instance? A council was convened, the orthodox and apostolic faith was set forth, and Arius was cut off before he could infect the whole body. End off: If you're with Arius then you're cut off. This is dogmatic theology in action, but it of course requires a belief that the Church is a visible body guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Frankly, I'd say that someone who comes out with this kind of thing needs at least a good long rest and possibly psychiatric treatment. This is in the interests of his parishioners as much as it is in his own interest.

Recommending psychiatric treatment makes all this sound much scarier than it probably is, although I quite agree that it throws up a lot of questions.

As a mere layperson, I'd guess that few of us in mainstream church pews hear as many sermons, sing as many hymns, read as many books or spend as much time reflecting on the Holy Spirit as we do regarding the Father and the Son. The assumption seems to be that the Holy Spirit is always around, chugging away like a machine, not requiring as much attention as the Father and the Son.

This kind of 'heresy' is tolerated. But is it more tolerable than the idea that the work of the Spirit is sometimes hindered by negative forces? I don't know why the vicar would've felt so down about his own church service, and to understand why we'd need to hear about the recent history of this church. But Christians do sometimes talk about the Spirit being present in a situation in a very powerful way - and the flip side of this must be that sometimes the Spirit is absent, or at least very weak.

I'm intrigued by the idea that making a lot of noise would bring the Holy Spirit through such a blockage. Maybe the vicar's request was for worshipful intensity rather than mere cacophony. It's not unusual for clergymen to take lacklustre singing and responses as a sign that 'the message' isn't getting through. If the vicar believes that the message needs to be inspired by the Holy Spirit then a lack of engagement from the congregation must undermine his/her sense that this inspiration has actually taken place.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Positively legless me, MtM.

If good isnīt done, then harm is.

Unless that vicarīs tongue was manifestly, known to be in his cheek, heīs away with the fairies. Peddling snake oil as on God-TV and worse, believing it. That is bad. Evil. Most things are. Broken. Corrupt. A lie. Iīm sick of stuff masquerading as definitive Christianity that has nothing to do with loving mercy.

And where that conversation cannot be held. Thatīs the killer. Thatīs how treason prospers. Like here it suddenly strangely seems. Itīs obvious that that vicar, if so painted, is wrong. Nuts. Pathetic. A maimed wolf in sheepīs clothing. Deluded.

Heretical.

And if he were mine Iīd probably love him as I do mine, who isnīt that bad by a country mile but still is on the spectrum with an angel being seen at the foot of the cross recently and two people having the same īwordī which validates everything.

This is part of the storm of chaff which is driving me to want to go and say īPater noster, qui es in caelis ...ī in my own chapel.

I used to think that I was missing something in Evangelicalism, as I did when married for 26 years to an undiagnosed bipolar partner, that the fault, the blindspot was mine. I didnīt know how right I was!

Delusion is not harmless. Christianity is awash with it. Always has been. I watched the Life of Brian again two nights ago. One of the most positively Christian films ever made. The only thing debatable about it (how I hate that concept) is the excellent gospel of Brian: we donīt need anyone telling us what to do, just work it out for ourselves.

Well I must go and do the dinner: "Youīve had all day to rant and now itīs my turn.".

--------------------
Love wins

Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The thing is, given your view here, how should the Church have addressed the Arian controversy, for instance? A council was convened, the orthodox and apostolic faith was set forth, and Arius was cut off before he could infect the whole body...

They did what they thought best at the time, obviously. But then we are stuck with the consequences today. Perhaps we need to rehabilitate Arius.
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
quote:
The thing is, given your view here, how should the Church have addressed the Arian controversy, for instance? A council was convened, the orthodox and apostolic faith was set forth, and Arius was cut off before he could infect the whole body...

They did what they thought best at the time, obviously. But then we are stuck with the consequences today. Perhaps we need to rehabilitate Arius.
Eh? Or maybe, just maybe, this was the work of the Holy Spirit working through the Church. Truth and life instead of untruth and death. This is why St. Nicholas slapped Arius.
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
...how should the Church have addressed the Arian controversy, for instance?

I'm not really sure. It's just that to 'cut [him] off before he could infect the whole body' feels wrong to me.
quote:
This is dogmatic theology in action, but it of course requires a belief that the Church is a visible body guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth.

A belief which, as you may have picked up from our previous discussions, I manifestly do not share! IMO the church is the intangible, invisible communion of all Jesus' followers, and whatever the exact nature of the Holy Spirit's guiding work, it does not preserve the Church, any one denomination, or any specific Christian from all error.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The thing is, given your view here, how should the Church have addressed the Arian controversy, for instance? A council was convened, the orthodox and apostolic faith was set forth, and Arius was cut off before he could infect the whole body. End off: If you're with Arius then you're cut off. This is dogmatic theology in action, but it of course requires a belief that the Church is a visible body guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth.

Surely if a doctrine cannot be demonstrated either from scripture, from clear universal acclamation by the early church or by rational argument, then perhaps it is justifiable to call that doctrine into question. If, on the other hand, one or more of those three is possible then it should be perfectly possible for the most holy people and able theologians of a generation achieve such a demonstration.

Given that the church is protected by the Holy Spirit, it follows that if the doctrine wins out, it is either correct or God considers the answer to not be something we need overly concern ourselves with.

[ 24. July 2013, 18:26: Message edited by: Arethosemyfeet ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Surely if a doctrine cannot be demonstrated either from scripture, from clear universal acclamation by the early church or by rational argument, then perhaps it is justifiable to call that doctrine into question. If, on the other hand, one or more of those three is possible then it should be perfectly possible for the most holy people and able theologians of a generation achieve such a demonstration.

Given that the church is protected by the Holy Spirit, it follows that if the doctrine wins out, it is either correct or God considers the answer to not be something we need overly concern ourselves with.

Of course it must be demonstrable from the sacred scriptures, tradition and the holy fathers, and the holy councils always point that out. It is then by the fruits that it is judged to be ecumenical, having been received by the whole Church.
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
What sort of paganism do you think it's imported from, Isaac, or are you just using the term perjoratively?

Generically. Like an incantation to spring Persephone from the Underworld, for example.

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
If good isnīt done, then harm is.

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I am not doing good to anyone in Nepal right now, but neither am I harming them in any way.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
Surely if a doctrine cannot be demonstrated either from scripture, from clear universal acclamation by the early church or by rational argument,

Why does it have to be the early church? What's so great about them that makes them so much more likely to be in tune with the Holy Spirit than us?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Category error. Absolute category error.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

Đ Ship of Fools 2016