homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Born a child and yet a king (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Born a child and yet a king
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So we have a third in line to the throne.

A very long time for this child to wait. The present Queen is still going strong.

Interested in what those of a Republican nature have to say

[ 22. July 2013, 19:51: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you expect us to say? Baby. And in 60 years or so he may be king. Were it not he, it would be another unless the constitution change.

Other than that my feelings and thoughts are none other than on learning anyone else I do not know has had a baby.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish him and his parents well, and I hope he gets to make his own way in the world. Unlikely, I know, but I can hope.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When is normal viewing going to be resumed on the TV? I've come home early especially to watch "Long Lost Family." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
When is normal viewing going to be resumed on the TV? [Roll Eyes]

A week? Two?

We're doomed.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

Why, for heaven's sake? IME the views of most republicans are slightly less interesting than a bumper edition of You and Yours.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we should be happy for this young couple just as we would be for anyone else.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Born a child' - fairly incontestable: what else would he be born as? A gibbon?

But King? Even his grandfather isn't one of those. I hope that by the time this wean is of age, he need not dread a life shackled to an outworn myth and he can go off and do something useful and satisfying.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm delighted the child is born, apparently well, and relieved for William and Kate, though I expect Kate would rather had the baby a week or so back before this recent spell of hot weather which is about to break.

The Windsor women are notably long-lived, the men a bit less so, so there is a chance of HM emulating her mother and becoming a centenarian queen. By then Charles will be pushing eighty with a short stick, so William might not be first in line for very long, making the new child heir from anywhere between his teens to his late twenties. He's unlikely to be heir for as long as Charles, who has been in that position for 61 years.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I hope that by the time this wean is of age, he need not dread a life shackled to an outworn myth and he can go off and do something useful and satisfying.

Like his dad has?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British respondents might be reminded that according to the English Statute of Treasons drawn up in 1351, it is an offence to ‘compass or imagine the death of our lord the king.' I'd stick to "God save the Queen," if I were you.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Typical Firenze. Expected nothing less.

The phrase in question was a quote from a hymn by Charles Wesley.

But you could not be expected to know that.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

Why, for heaven's sake? IME the views of most republicans are slightly less interesting than a bumper edition of You and Yours.
But I've so far noticed about half a dozen articles, all with a seemingly royalist bent, practically taunting republicans about the birth. The National Post, a right-wing Canadian paper with strong anglophile pretensions, mused in its headline that republicans must be chagrined about the CN Tower in Toronto having its colours changed to commemorate the birth.

It reminded me of when the Queen Mother died about a decade ago, and a British paper just had to run a cartoon of a statue of Cromwell, stomping his feet and cursing the people who were lined up below him in mourning.

So apparently, going "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" to supposedly pissed off republicans is an indispensible part of any royal celebration!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, don't get me wrong. Believe me, some of the company you have to share can make it pretty embarassing to be a monarchist.
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well unless there is some kind of massacre at the Palace this child won't actualy reach the throne since dad and grandad are queued up ahead.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. Believe me, some of the company you have to share can make it pretty embarassing to be a monarchist.

The Daily Mail has - as ever - got lots of photos on its website. I think the 'self-proclaimed Town Cryer', the people who have baked a cake and bought balloons along, and the bloke who's been camped out on the bench outside the hospital for seven days should be moved on somewhere, possibly by men in white coats.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Diana died, my daughter came upstairs and said in disgust: "Diana and Dodi are dead and there's nothing else on the TV".
That's how I feel this evening - coverage across all major TV channels of people wittering platitudes outside St Mary's Hospital.
But - it's a baby, and that's always lovely.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know we've got these things called books, right?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This new prince will have a long wait until he is King. And that is as it should be . IF HM
King George VI had not been a heavy smoker IMO he would have lived long after 1952. Remember HM the Queen was only 25 when she came to the throne. Long may she reign.
To those who want the monarchy gone. Read the post above regard the defiition of treason in Britiss law.
Blessings all
PaulBC

[ 23. July 2013, 00:15: Message edited by: PaulBC ]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not born a child or a king: born a BABY (or human).

Yes, total overkill "news" coverage. Not anti-monarchist but perhaps the 1948 style announcement that the Duchess had been "delivered of a prince" would have been better than this constant stream of speculative drivel.

Wish them well, as I would any new parents.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
quote:

But I've so far noticed about half a dozen articles, all with a seemingly royalist bent, practically taunting republicans about the birth. The National Post, a right-wing Canadian paper with strong anglophile pretensions, mused in its headline that republicans must be chagrined about the CN Tower in Toronto having its colours changed to commemorate the birth.
*snip*!

The only chagrin I have seen so far is a FB post by a challenge-traditional-notions-of-gender-identity activist of my acquaintance who is asking us to call in to the CN Tower to complain about gender stereotyping.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We (left side of the pond) hold these truths to be self evident, that all babies are created equally adorable...

We fought a revolution so we wouldn't have to get all excited about this one. Maybe we lost.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Posh couple have baby equates to the Incarnation?

However, as far as I can see - looking out the window - the Swedes seems to be taking it calmly.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
This new prince will have a long wait until he is King. And that is as it should be . IF HM
King George VI had not been a heavy smoker IMO he would have lived long after 1952. Remember HM the Queen was only 25 when she came to the throne. Long may she reign.
To those who want the monarchy gone. Read the post above regard the defiition of treason in Britiss law.
Blessings all
PaulBC

Wanting an end to the monarchy does not equal wanting the death of the monarch.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, as far as I can see - looking out the window - the Swedes seems to be taking it calmly.

The carrots and parsnips are also doing OK!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jigsaw:
When Diana died, my daughter came upstairs and said in disgust: "Diana and Dodi are dead and there's nothing else on the TV".
That's how I feel this evening - coverage across all major TV channels of people wittering platitudes outside St Mary's Hospital.
But - it's a baby, and that's always lovely.

I feel about the same - I am glad for the couple and their new baby, and hope they get some decent time alone with him. But I feel the same as I do about any other baby belonging to people I don't know, but those babies don't tend to clog up my morning news programming. I'm much more interested in the weather forecast (hooray, rain at last!)!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blessings all
PaulBC

Apparently you're ok on the treason front if you have sex with the king or the prince of wales though (just not the queen or their eldest daughter), just in case anyone was concerned.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that any fair minded person, especially a Christian, would be happy to congratulate the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of their first child, even those not dedicated to the idea of monarchy.

The Queen is currently Head of State in 16 countries, known as the Commonwealth realms , but as it's likely, barring calamities, to be 50 years or more before this child is eligible to be king, who knows what constitutions any of these countries may have adopted by then. If the UK still exists by then, perhaps demographic changes and changes of attitude will mean that there's no longer a throne to succeed to by then.

Since the Restoration, our kings and queens have sat on the throne only by the will of parliament and the people. Which is why I get annoyed when republicans say that our hereditary Head of State is undemocratic. If it ever becomes so, we will remove it.

As an ardent monarchist and supporter of our constitution, though I won't live to see it, I hope that this child will one day be king. But who knows what kind of world he will grow up in, and what the people will want by then? Only time will tell.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was my Mum's 93rd birthday so my family had a lovely time with her and didn't even notice or know about it.

I say it's just a baby - why all the hype?

I wish the new parents well, like I would any others. It seems like some kind of crazyness, this celebrity of monarchy in our country. Other monarchies seem to do very well without the madness.

When I got home it was a 'radio and TV off' day for me. Probably today too the way they seem to drag these things on.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Don't be silly Firenze.

I imagine shamwari jsut thought it would make a good title for the thread (and it did)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So we have a third in line to the throne.

A very long time for this child to wait. The present Queen is still going strong.

I'm an American. Registered Democrat. Congratulations to William & Kate Wales on the safe delivery of a boy child, yet to be named.

HIP! HIP! HOORAY! for Queen Elizabeth and England forever from the USA!

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the bit on the news when the official announcement was put on the easel outside BP.

My immediate thought was "only the British would cheer a piece of paper".

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
British respondents might be reminded that according to the English Statute of Treasons drawn up in 1351, it is an offence to ‘compass or imagine the death of our lord the king.' I'd stick to "God save the Queen," if I were you.

So can we look forward to mass executions at the BBC? I mean, they needn't actually be at the BBC - we could drag them through the streets behind a team of horses as far as Tower Hill, and do it there.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:

So can we look forward to mass executions at the BBC? I mean, they needn't actually be at the BBC - we could drag them through the streets behind a team of horses as far as Tower Hill, and do it there.
I think televised executions would be more of an ITV thing.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blessings all
PaulBC

Don't be silly. Do you really think that they should come and arrest me for being a republican?

--------------------

Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any decent person - monarchist or republican - would surely wish William, Catherine and their child every happiness. I get a little tired or republicans being portrayed as chippy and joyless or as Oliver Cromwell incarnate.
It's simply that I can't square becoming head of state (never mind 16) by some accident of birth, It offends against democracy.
At the end of the day this child will become monarch because his ancestors carried a bigger stick than anyone else's and weren't afraid of using it.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Matariki:
I get a little tired or republicans being portrayed as chippy and joyless.

They often have a habit of coming across that way.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the late 20th century the monarchy achieved one great and truly important thing. The mere fact that it existed meant that Margaret Thatcher could never call herself Head of State.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Anglican't, and some republican friends of mine have not been able to utter a kind word today and that's a shame. Though I don't think people who dress from head to toe in Union Jacks and camp out for days to celebrate the birth of the third in line to the thrown are really a good look for monarchists. It comes across as a bit mad and really - if I were a monarchist - I would want the Royal Family to be spared this crazy celebrity status. I think it might be their undoing in the end.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

Did I write thrown. Whoops, a republican freudian slip.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
I get a little tired or republicans being portrayed as chippy and joyless.

They often have a habit of coming across that way.
Perhaps it's resenting the sense some people appear to have that we should be especially pleased and happy for this particular couple and their baby. When to us they're just another new family and our feelings are neither more negative nor more positive than they are for any other couple we do not know and have never met who have a new baby.

It's a bit like when England gets into the semi-finals in some international football tournament and we're "meant" to get all excited whereas to some of us it's just "meh".

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
... Though I don't think people who dress from head to toe in Union Jacks and camp out for days to celebrate the birth of the third in line to the thrown are really a good look for monarchists. It comes across as a bit mad and really - if I were a monarchist - I would want the Royal Family to be spared this crazy celebrity status. ...

Precisely. I am, and I do.
I've been very impressed by the quiet dignity of the Dutch and Belgian monarchies in their recent abdications and accessions. I've always been attached to the idea of the anointed monarch that we have here, but I'm coming to think that the Low Countries model of civic monarchy is the way to go: it would spare us all the fawning and hype that, as you say, is threatening the institution.

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At the end of the day this child will become monarch because his ancestors carried a bigger stick than anyone else's and weren't afraid of using it.

No, he will become king because his ancestors and family did their job so well the country was pleased with them and assented to their rule (even when some of them went a bit doolally we liked them so much we kept them on the throne).

When a king doens't do his job well, or the people think he hasn't, heads come off or they are forced to abdicate. The modern British constitutional monarchy (post William III I'd say) isn't a story of oppression of the strong, but of success of the dutiful.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
quote:

Don't be silly Firenze.

I imagine shamwari jsut thought it would make a good title for the thread (and it did)

[Smile]

Hmmmm. IMO, gods and kings tend to be waaay too much in cahoots. After all, if the real reason you have the job is either accident of birth, or you knifed the last guy to hold it, then the thought will inevitably occur to the bystanders Why him and not me? So it helps if you can get them to accept that God picked you. Specially.

I have nothing against the present crowd, who to all appearances are a collection of more or less pleasant, if dim/cranky rich people. Rather it's the projection on to these unremarkable people all sorts of powers and virtues they do not possess.

Elected heads of state can be good or bad, but at least we recognise that they are our creatures, and can be replaced at will. Perhaps the monarchy should be decided by lot* and be for a fixed term?

*Chesterton's idea, of course, not mine.

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:

No, he will become king because his ancestors and family did their job so well the country was pleased with them and assented to their rule (even when some of them went a bit doolally we liked them so much we kept them on the throne).

When a king doens't do his job well, or the people think he hasn't, heads come off or they are forced to abdicate. The modern British constitutional monarchy (post William III I'd say) isn't a story of oppression of the strong, but of success of the dutiful.

Bit of both, really, innit? The more immediate ancestors you're referring to were in a position to be dutiful (i.e. backsides on the big chair) because of their ancestors further back who had the bigger stick. William the Bastard didn't win at Senlac hill because of a sense of duty.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The modern British constitutional monarchy (post William III I'd say) isn't a story of oppression of the strong, but of success of the dutiful.

I like that. A lot.

[Overused]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yeah Karl, but there isn't an unbroken line of monarchs in straightforward succession since 1066. Lots of kingmaking and unmaking in the middle ages; and then 1688 is the big turning point. From then onwards, it is pretty clear that monarchs reign because Parliament wants them to and that the Crown is Parliament's to bestow. So basically they have to behave themselves if they want to stick around. The abdication of 1936 - which you can see as a coup by the establishment (and indeed Establishment) against the King- supports this point.

[ 23. July 2013, 09:35: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps the monarchy should be decided by lot* and be for a fixed term?

I have a vague recollection of cultures where king or chieftain was a temporary office. With the downside that once your term expired you were sacrificed to the Gods. [With the added advantage that it prevent any notions of comebacks].
Were you thinking along these lines?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blessings all
PaulBC

Here's an interesting thought: Had Edward VIII married Mrs Simpson and refused to give up the crown (however unlikely that might have been), he would have been King until 1972. Because they were childless, the heir to the throne would have been the daughter of the late Duke of York, Princess Elizabeth (titled accordingly as the wife of Philip of Greece).

We would still, therefore, have had Queen Elizabeth II and her descendants.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Treason ne'er doth prosper. What's the reason?
If it prosper none dare call it treason.

John Harington.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016