homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Flood

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Flood
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nashville had another flood this month. Not that many of you have heard of it because it only affected small bits of Nashville. For those bits that were affected, it was bad.

Rain came down hard in concentrated areas. Approximately 7 inches of rain came down in about two hours. A well known shipmate had more water in her house than during the 2010 flood. About 600 families lost their homes.

The Red Cross is doing absolutely nothing. The flood did not affect enough people for the Red Cross to do anything.

Everything that is being done is by individuals and Disaster Relief Effort, Inc., a Church of Christ affiliated organization. They brought in semi tractor loads of relief packages to local churches where people can come and shelter.

One father described escaping the flood waters. He was carrying one daughter in each hand with water up to his waist. His wife was behind carrying their son on her back. At one point she said she was not going to be able to hold on; that she was slipping in the current. He related how he felt. Should he drop his two daughters to drown to save his wife and son? Should he just hold on and hope?

Water is a whole lot more dangerous than people think. There is a stretch of the Potomac that regularly claims lives.

I know. My post is more than a bit bloggish. I am just trying to sort out my feelings here. Do I blame God? Should I get mad at the Red Cross? Should I rejoice in the fact that so many volunteers just showed up to help?

I don't really know.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know you're there but how do you know the Red Cross is doing nothing? And what about The Salvation Army?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The American Red Cross kept one of its emergency shelters open for anyone who still needs urgent assistance following the flooding. The shelter is at Mt. Zion Church located at I-24 and Old Hickory Boulevard in Bordeaux.

On Friday, two Red Cross mobile feeding trucks also responded to affected areas to deliver water and snacks. The Red Cross partnered with the Salvation Army to assist with feeding efforts.

Somerthing has indeed been done by the RC and the SA

It's amazing how quickly you can find what is really happening. as in HERE as well

[ 11. August 2013, 15:24: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Way to miss the point.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
The Red Cross is doing absolutely nothing. The flood did not affect enough people for the Red Cross to do anything...

... Should I get mad at the Red Cross?

I showed you what the Red Cross - and The Salvation Army - was doing in response to your blanket criticism of the 'doing nothing' Red Cross. You also asked if you should get mad at them. I provided some info that encouraged you to praise them instead.

How is that missing the point? You clearly told us they were doing nothing. I showed you that they were doing some valuable things.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In any similar situation in the UK, local government would have opened up leisure centres as shelters, the fire brigade would have inshore boats to rescue people, there'd be rescue helicopters to pluck people from their roofs, and ... you know, stuff simply happens. There are plans and those who need to, train for every eventuality. Also, the Environment Agency issue alerts and warnings of flooding when they can, which should be at least timely.

So if you were going to rail against anything, rail against the cockamamie political system that expects local charities to save people from drowning, rather than professionals with the right equipment.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am just trying to sort out my feelings here.
Might be wrong, but I think this sentence is a key to Tortuf's post.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say, I love the SA's strap line on Mudfrog's link -

"We combat natural disasters with acts of God"

Excellent!

[Overused]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Do I blame God?

If you want, but in my experience it doesn't change much.

quote:
Should I get mad at the Red Cross?
Get mad with Republicans. They probably aren't providing enough funds for the Red Cross or, you know, the government agencies to be able to deal with these fairly regular crises.

quote:
Should I rejoice in the fact that so many volunteers just showed up to help?
Yes! Rejoice! I will say it again: rejoice!

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American Red Cross funds do not come from the government. They come through United Way, Corporate Sponsorship; and individual contributions.

Yes, the Midwest USA has had an unbelievable series of floods due to a stalled weather pattern.

Meanwhile throughout the Far West we are experiencing a number of very hot and huge fires.

What I find disturbing is FEMA has refused to provide federal assistance to the Yarnel AZ fire victims or the Texas explosion victims. I am not sure if this is because the disaster declarations that have to be provided by the state governors were proper or the funds are just not there because Congress has so far refused to authorize them or because of some vendetta by the Obama administration--which conservatives are claiming.

But, you can be assured, no matter how limited RC funds may be, they will be there providing shelter and emergency loans for those affected by the floods.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016