homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inheritance Tax (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inheritance Tax
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Which might mean, in fact, that you don't think that there should be a government, because any government, even of the most minimally nighwatchman kind, needs to take some money from individuals and to spend it on their behalf but not in ways that each of them would necessarily choose.
Is that your position? Or do the words 'as possible' mean that you're not actually an anarchist? If so, you then get into questions about what that 'as possible' means (negative and positive conceptions of liberty and so on) and about who decides the bounds of possibility.

I identify as libertarian these days, but not anarchist. We need some form of government to protect against lawlessness and the like.

quote:
As for your rant against government and politicians, what is your evidence for the claims that you make?
Find me someone who doesn't think the three parties with any chance of forming a government are essentially the same. Labour have already pledged to keep exactly the same economic policies as the Conservatives if they win the next election. I hardly need to defend my comments on expenses, though I will add the generous pay rises that MPs always seem to get every year.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Which brings us back to the fact that the dead don't have "priorities" and usually aren't considered "people" in the legal sense of the term.

That's what a will is for - it outlines what the person wants to do with their assets once they're dead.

quote:
And can you make up your mind about whether you're discussing "individual people" or "the people" generically? You seem to switch back and forth between definitions for the sake of rhetorical convenience.
It's both. "The people" as a group is made up of individual people. It's essentially a shorthand for "each individual person".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
I've never seen why gifts and legacies are not simply taxed as income. Why eparate taxes applied to the donor rather than the recipient?

Then again politicians would far rather tax generosity than greed.

Because gifts/legacies as such are not income by any of the generally accepted definitions.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Which brings us back to the fact that the dead don't have "priorities" and usually aren't considered "people" in the legal sense of the term.

That's what a will is for - it outlines what the person wants to do with their assets once they're dead.
Doesn't the very idea of a will imply the existence of both a body of law and some kind of enforcement mechanism? In other words, a government? I've always suspected that "libertarian" was shorthand for "I want the benefits of having a government, but I don't want to pay for it".

quote:
quote:
And can you make up your mind about whether you're discussing "individual people" or "the people" generically? You seem to switch back and forth between definitions for the sake of rhetorical convenience.
It's both. "The people" as a group is made up of individual people. It's essentially a shorthand for "each individual person".
If you say so. Let's see how that works in your original statement.

quote:
I've always argued in favour of policies that let [each individual person] keep their money in their own pockets, rather than having the government take it away.

Which brings us right back to the point that "each individual person" can't "keep their money in their own pockets" after death, unless you're advocating for some kind of pharaonic burial system where "each individual person" is buried with all their worldly possessions. Or maybe some kind of Viking-style rite where the deceased are set adrift in their burning condos. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Which brings us right back to the point that "each individual person" can't "keep their money in their own pockets" after death, unless you're advocating for some kind of pharaonic burial system where "each individual person" is buried with all their worldly possessions. Or maybe some kind of Viking-style rite where the deceased are set adrift in their burning condos. [Big Grin]

Yes, you're right that the dead can't take their assets with them. The basic issue, then, concerns who should be assumed to be the owner of those assets after the original owner's death. It seems obvious to me that the answer should be the deceased person's partner/spouse, or if they had no partner for whatever reason (including their partner already being dead) it should be their descendents (In the absence of any direct descendents, the nearest living family member should be the one who takes ownership of the assets). All of which can, of course, be pre-emptively overridden by the original owner if they choose to write a will leaving all or part of their assets to a third party.

The assets, therefore, are always in someone's "pockets".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of interest, Marvin, what are your preferred (= least unpreferred) forms of taxation, given that you do believe in some kind of state, which has to get money from somewhere? (Not trying to set a trap- just curious to know.)
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I'd love to see more of the tax burden fall on companies (which aren't people). But in relative terms I don't mind the idea of income tax.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with you Marvin, but I can't see a good reason why inheritance shouldn't be considered a form of income.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Pretty much for the same reason Christmas presents aren't seen as income.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I'd agree with you Marvin, but I can't see a good reason why inheritance shouldn't be considered a form of income.

An inheritance is clearly not income. Each is a on-off event, and almost always there is no legal obligation upon the testator to make the bequest. It fails these 2 basic tests on income and passes none of the others as well.

[ 29. August 2013, 21:58: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
An inheritance is clearly not income. Each is a on-off event, and almost always there is no legal obligation upon the testator to make the bequest. It fails these 2 basic tests on income and none of the others either.

So an executive's bonus check isn't "income" either, by that reasoning.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:

I apologise if my last post was a bit abrupt. For a very full discussion of what constitutes a gift (non-taxable) and what income (taxable) read the decision of Windeyer J in:

Scott v Federal Commissioner of Taxation [1966] HCA 48; (1966) 117 CLR 514

Mr Scott was a solicitor, regularly acting for a client in real estate development and other transactions. He charged her what was the then scale fee for the work (scale fees for conveyancing have long since been abolished) which the client paid without demur, but one one occasion, the client said she was making him a gift of 10K pounds - a substantial sum in the early 60s. Windeyer J discussed the issues clearly and found that while the payment of the scale fees was income, as Mr Scott accepted, the additional 10K was not and therefore not taxable.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I apologise if my last post was a bit abrupt. For a very full discussion of what constitutes a gift (non-taxable) and what income (taxable) read the decision of Windeyer J in:

Scott v Federal Commissioner of Taxation [1966] HCA 48; (1966) 117 CLR 514

Mr Scott was a solicitor, regularly acting for a client in real estate development and other transactions. He charged her what was the then scale fee for the work (scale fees for conveyancing have long since been abolished) which the client paid without demur, but one one occasion, the client said she was making him a gift of 10K pounds - a substantial sum in the early 60s. Windeyer J discussed the issues clearly and found that while the payment of the scale fees was income, as Mr Scott accepted, the additional 10K was not and therefore not taxable.

I don't really read the discussion here or the prior question as a descriptive one but rather a prescriptive one. We're not really debating what is or is not legally permissible but what we believe is fair or just. For all its many benefits, the Ship probably isn't the best place to come for legal advice/estate planning.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is evil! Here in California, we just spit the inheritance three ways when our mother died: it was transparent! No taxes.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is evil! Here in California, we just spit the inheritance three ways when our mother died: it was transparent! No taxes.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin:
quote:
I'd love to see more of the tax burden fall on companies (which aren't people).
[Killing me] You do understand that if this happens, the companies will pass on the extra costs to their customers, don't you?
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:
An inheritance is clearly not income. Each is a on-off event, and almost always there is no legal obligation upon the testator to make the bequest. It fails these 2 basic tests on income and none of the others either.

So an executive's bonus check isn't "income" either, by that reasoning.
An executive's bonus is annual (so not "one-off") and written into his/her contract (so putting a legal obligation on the company to give it). It passes both tests.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Marvin:
quote:
I'd love to see more of the tax burden fall on companies (which aren't people).
[Killing me] You do understand that if this happens, the companies will pass on the extra costs to their customers, don't you?
Probably. But we have a choice of whether to buy from companies or not - and which companies to buy from - that allows us to manage our purchases in order to spend as much or as little as we choose. The taxman doesn't give us that choice.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavy taxation of companies has knock-on effects. In France, companies are very highly taxed, the consequence being to make them very reluctant to hire staff. There's no such thing as a tax that no one has to pay for.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it would be quite interesting to say to big companies that don't pay tax in the UK - 'OK, but I'm afraid people who work for you will no longer be able to claim Tax Credits - the UK taxpayer is no longer going to subsidise your low pay - we're going to pass a law that obliges you to make up the difference by paying them extra'. Probably unworkable. I'm sure someone will be along here shortly to tell me why.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I think it would be quite interesting to say to big companies that don't pay tax in the UK - 'OK, but I'm afraid people who work for you will no longer be able to claim Tax Credits - the UK taxpayer is no longer going to subsidise your low pay - we're going to pass a law that obliges you to make up the difference by paying them extra'. Probably unworkable. I'm sure someone will be along here shortly to tell me why.

Oh, it's workable. They'd just drop everyone's base pay so that their base pay + the extra you're making them pay is equal to the pay they had before. Which means the employees, now unable to claim tax credits, get the shaft.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But how many of them are already paying the minimum wage, or close to it?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wait... you have employees claiming tax credits?? Simply by virtue of being employees??

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is another one of those times when a suggestion that something is unworkable is easily countered by pointing out that there are parts of the world where it does work. This is the first time in my life I've heard this tax credits idea in relation to employment.

We do have tax credits in other areas - taxation on shares is the one that springs to mind. The tax on my piddly little shareholding (which I never even bought, it got handed to me, hence it's piddliness) is reduced based on the amount of tax already paid by the company.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Wait... you have employees claiming tax credits?? Simply by virtue of being employees??

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is another one of those times when a suggestion that something is unworkable is easily countered by pointing out that there are parts of the world where it does work. This is the first time in my life I've heard this tax credits idea in relation to employment.

The U.S. has something similar with the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is essentially a refundable tax credit available to low income workers.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, the amount of tax credit depends on your circumstances. There's a small component for just working, but a much larger component for having children (and isn't the childcare credit rolled in to there somewhere?). I think there might be justifiable anger with a law that told a company "you have to pay Johnny more money because he's got a baby."
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Should the recently-bereaved child of a cash-poor farmer who nevertheless owned the deed to his farm have to sell the place to some rich person in order to pay the inheritance tax? And if so, how does that do anything to fix the disparity?

The same applies to people who have established a prosperous small business, such as a restaurant. If the heirs have to pay a hefty inheritance tax, they will have to sell the business. This may result in the employees losing their jobs.

Moo

Business Property Relief applies in England and Wales to such an asset - usually at 100% relief rate. Similar with agricultural property.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

We do have tax credits in other areas - taxation on shares is the one that springs to mind. The tax on my piddly little shareholding (which I never even bought, it got handed to me, hence it's piddliness) is reduced based on the amount of tax already paid by the company.

Yes, they are Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit (plus Childcare Tax Credit). The term is a bit of nonsense because it isn't limited or capped by the amount of tax one pays or could have paid. Just as an example, one doesn't pay tax on much less than £7,500 but as a single man I'd get over £1,300 Working Tax Credit at that income, which represents the tax payable on about £14,000! It's really a income top-up that hasn't the stigma of the old Supplementary Benefit.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016