homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Earwig O'Agen - Syria (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Earwig O'Agen - Syria
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Like one who grabs a dog by the ears
is one who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own."
Prov 26: 17

That is in the readings for tomorrow (28th August). The situation in Syria is dire. Our politicians and opinion formers, both in the UK and the US, are clearly trying to soften up public opinion to intervene, quite possibly without a UN Resolution.

What do Shipmates think?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wonder how throwing rockets and missiles at a problem changes anything.

[Confused]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's very complicated, and very sad. I think if my family had been gassed by chemical weapons, I'd be desperate for someone to intervene. But it doesn't appear that there are simply two sides, but many, even inside the country. And outside it, there's no consensus either.

Very very grim.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I just wonder how throwing rockets and missiles at a problem changes anything.

[Confused]

I'm not sure that it does, necessarily. I think that it can, and has, in the past, but it depends on what you mean by "changes."

If we look at wars that have had a defined conclusion then we could say that, eg, WW2 changed things in a broadly positive way, and, say, the Falklands in 1982 put the lid back on the problem without dealing with the underlying problems. Both of those could probably be regarded as sensible.

Kuwait 1990, if you accept that Kuwait had the right not to be occupied by Iraq (and that's not a universally held viewpoint by any means) probably ok too. Kosovo 1999, Sierra Leone 2001, both reasonable uses of blood and treasure IMO (especially given that "the West" was haunted by having stood by in Rwanda and Bosnia).

The problem, in so far as it can be termed one, is the reluctance of western societies to countenance what war is, and so tie the hands of their armed forces. I'm not at this point talking about whether we should go to war or not, but more what we do when we get there. If you look at counter-insurgency operations there is a very successful blueprint, pretty much written by the British in Malaya in the 1950s, and honed to a fine edge by Ian Smith's Rhodesian Army in the 1970s with the "fireforce" concept - and before we go too far down that rabbithole, I mean militarily; obviously they lost politically.

Bluntly, "success" looks like a higher casualty rate in the initial stages, and a bit more "dash and vigour." Following that, rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. What we actually had was some very fierce, highly localised fighting, particularly post 2006, in a broader malaise, coupled with incredibly restrictive ROE.

Afghanistan was initially a successful military operation, fought for broadly sensible reasons, which went wrong in the period 2002-06 when the US and UK totally took their eyes off the ball and invaded Iraq for no sensible reasons whatsoever. Then they tried coming back to Afghan 2006 - to date, and lo, it had all gone to a ball of chalk. If the time and trouble had been spent on Afghan following up the initial successes then we arguably wouldn't be where we are now.

Sitting off the coast of Syria and chucking in some missiles is just going to make a bad situation worse. The really nasty weapons may be removed, but at the expense of kicking the hornet's nest (especially if we then leave them all to it again).

Sometimes I'm glad not to be a politician. There is a massive gordian knot here, and the choice is untangle or ignore. I'm not sure I'd like to be the one to make that call. Do we try something and risk making everything worse because we haven't got the guts to do some old style overseas policing, or stand by looking uncomfortably down at our feet and try and blot out the screams?

Rockets and missiles can help, or make everything worse. It all depends what you do *as well*

And yes. I have served.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
betjemaniac - Welcome, and a good post. So, perhaps we can divide those conflicts into two categories

1. Conflicts that only have two sides such as Iraq v Kuwait (acknowledging your caveat). In this case, it's a matter of backing the oppressed over the oppressor.

2. Conflicts that have more than two sides, such as the whole situation in Yugoslavia, where it was more a case of "everyone vs everyone", and the main objective of military action is to stop anybody killing anybody.

Syria seems to fall into the second category, but it more complicated because there are more outside allegiances. Some that I've read, but can't vouch for are

Russia backs Syria because of use of naval ports
Saudis are sending aid as they'd like to depose Assad because they are Sunni
Iran is supporting Assad because they are Shi'ite

So, it seems most important to stop the "everyone vs everyone" component, which the world rather failed to do for too long in Yugoslavia, but there are far more vested interests this time, and so little sign of getting the required consensus.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Sometimes I'm glad not to be a politician.

Well put.

I don't like the idea of a thugish government shooting chemical weapons at civilians. I also don't know that I trust the opposition not to be Al Qaida.

Why not just do nothing at the moment? I mean, what are the vital interests of the US/UK and would they be served by attacking or by refraining from the attack?

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:

1. Conflicts that only have two sides such as Iraq v Kuwait (acknowledging your caveat). In this case, it's a matter of backing the oppressed over the oppressor.

If only life were so simple. Sometimes there is clearly a "good" side and a "bad" side. Sometimes the two sides are just different kinds of oppressors, and sometimes neither one really is.

Who is the "oppressor" in Kashmir? In Egypt, the Mubarak regime was bad, but are the Muslim Brotherhood the good guys? There's a similar dynamic in Syria - the Assad regime is unquestionably foul, but the opposition aren't exactly champions of liberty either.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Why not just do nothing at the moment?

The most compelling reason I can see to do something is that doing nothing is effectively affording a free pass to anyone who chooses to use weapons outlawed by international conventions.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the chemical weapons anathema. But what about Iraq's use of them against the Kurds in 1988, the constituents of which were supplied by the USA? Further reference here and here.

The problem western countries have now, mine included (Canada), is that they are all complicit in war crimes, including torture, extrajudicial killings, and "rendering" people to third countries for torture and disposal. The moral and legal grounds on which our countries stand re Syria are thus problematic. Condemn others, and we condemn ourselves.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of me wants to scream no action BUT then I recall history and ponder what would have happened in Ethiopia in 1935 when the Italians used gas there and no one did anything. Or what would the Middle East look like if OP DESERT STORM had not happened in 1991 and Saddam is still running loose.
Of course in the USA people remember how they got into a war in Iraq in 2003 when we were told there are WMD's there , trust us . And to date none have been found .
Well this timwe there is no question that ASSAD's people had the material and it looks like they used it. I severly doubt the opposition had the materials or capability to use it. Of course we back the rebels then what ? Another Egypt or Libya ? Yet can the world tolerate a regime like ASSAD's on the lose ? I think not.
At least in UK Parliment will be holding a debate on what to do. As for UN they are
proving a toothless tiger because of the veto power given the permanant members of the Security Council, another out come of the Yalta agreements.
Pray for a reasonable outcome.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:

If only life were so simple. Sometimes there is clearly a "good" side and a "bad" side. Sometimes the two sides are just different kinds of oppressors, and sometimes neither one really is.

Who is the "oppressor" in Kashmir? In Egypt, the Mubarak regime was bad, but are the Muslim Brotherhood the good guys? There's a similar dynamic in Syria - the Assad regime is unquestionably foul, but the opposition aren't exactly champions of liberty either.

I accept that actually there aren't very many of those type of conflicts - hence my second category, into which I placed Syria.

Perhaps "invader" would have been a better word in the case of Kuwait. In the first Gulf war, there were two internationally recognised states, one of which invaded the other.

Syria is, as I said, nothing of the sort.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They seem to be comparing it with Milosevic, where the West initially held back, and then felt compelled to intervene. As far as I recall, Milosevic finally acceded to peace terms, after 10 weeks of bombing.

However, this is a very dodgy parallel. Milosevic also had Russian support, but eventually the Russians told M. to agree to the peace plan.

There is no likelihood that Assad will do that, and none that the Russians will do a similar volte face.

I suppose we are almost in Srebrenica/Rwanda territory in moral terms - never again has been said on a number of such occasions, and Western politicians are worried about reproaches being addressed to them.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Sometimes I'm glad not to be a politician.

Well put.

I don't like the idea of a thugish government shooting chemical weapons at civilians. I also don't know that I trust the opposition not to be Al Qaida.

Why not just do nothing at the moment? I mean, what are the vital interests of the US/UK and would they be served by attacking or by refraining from the attack?

Check the price of oil today. I think the vital interest of most nations is not to have an all out war in the region. I really have no idea what's best, and I don't envy those that have to actually make a decision rather than pontificate on the internet.

It seems that for a long time, "civilised" countries have propped up, tolerated or indeed encouraged pretty rotten regimes elsewhere. There's a telling line in the James Bond movie Quantum of Solace, where in a discussion over what to do next, someone utters the line "Their interests now align with ours". I guess when that happens, everyone changes position. It seems that this time, we just don't know who "they" are.

"Assad is a devil but his opponents are all demons too" as I read on Archbishop Cranmer the other day

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any way you look at it, this is a lose/lose situation as I don't think the end is going to be good no matter which side wins the civil war in Syria. At a very maximum surgical bombing of sites with chemical weapons or weapons used to deploy chemical weapons would at least save innocent civilians caught in the middle from horrific deaths.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I opposed the second Iraq adventure. Didn't make any difference. We have no power over these people. If it'll profit them, they'll intervene.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree it won't make any difference what we think.

The West's vital optimism over the benefits of military intervention has pretty much evaporated in cauldron of Iraq post 03 . However, it does look very much like obama will lobb a few Tomahawks Syria's way .
But didn't assad know all along that the West would intervene if he used chems ? Either he's running out of conventional ways of dealing out death to his own citizens , or more likely someone ,(and not necessarily assad), has baited a trap for the West to walk into.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were still an armchair warrior I wouldn't know what to say. As a follower of the Prince of Peace, I don't either.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

But didn't assad know all along that the West would intervene if he used chems ? Either he's running out of conventional ways of dealing out death to his own citizens , or more likely someone ,(and not necessarily assad), has baited a trap for the West to walk into.

This is what I don't understand - surely now was a terrible time* for Assad to use chemical weapons; it really doesn't make sense for him to have used them knowing it would likely provoke western intervention against him (unless he's completely loco...).

Surely it's at least possible that some within the rebels have staged this in order to provoke the intervention they've been clamouring for? Have those leaders now planning military action considered this? And if so, shouldn't this cause them to exercise a little caution?

Also, isn't dropping bombs on chemical weapons factories or stores just a teensy bit dangerous? Presumably those chemicals aren't capable of distinguishing between "goodies" and "baddies" when they go flying through the air.

Can't believe we're going through this all over again...

* I mean from his own strategic point of view - I'm not for a moment suggesting there's ever a good time to use chemical weapons...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that you can assume either total rationality by the Syrian leadership, or even more importantly, a unified command. There may be some pretty wild guys roaming around Syria now, fighting for Assad, but doing their own thing. Both sides may be fragmenting, as often happens in civil war.

Of course, it's possible that a rogue rebel unit fired this, but hopefully Western intelligence will check this to buggery. Well, OK, 'intelligence' in quotes.

Curiously, I think a few Cruise missiles won't make much difference. It's not like Milosevic, who was forced to the conference table. Assad has no exit strategy; he has to go on now to win or be damned.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole thing seems very strange to me and I really can't see why anyone would think that lobbing bombs into a country (already on its knees) from afar would be in any way helpful or act as some kind of solution. I very much doubt that this would be considered as an option anywhere in the West, but because it's not on our doorstep and seems very far away then it's deemed ok to lob in a few scuds, stand back and watch what happens.

If what happened here in 1916 was to be happening now, would the solution be to lob a few bombs in?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Proverbs 26:17 (KJV)
He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.

I like it, and very apt - but it's serious stuff here, and how can we know the claims regarding chemical weapons are true - and that it was President al-Assad's men who used them and not the Al Qaeda rebels?

"Weapons of mass destruction that can be deployed in 15 minutes" springs to mind. That quote started a war which cost thousands of lives - all based on false information.

Still, America - the world's policeman - says it is so, so it must be so.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
... Of course, it's possible that a rogue rebel unit fired this, but hopefully Western intelligence will check this to buggery. Well, OK, 'intelligence' in quotes. ...

Is there any reason to believe Western intelligence knows what's going on in Syria at the moment or that there is any source there that has any credibility?

Fletcher Christian I agree with you on lobbing bombs, but am not so sure there's much similarity with the Easter Rising, except, I suppose, that that's another classic example of the UK government handling something incredibly ineptly. It wasn't, after all, then, meddling in somebody else's internal affairs like the (also incompetent) Russian Interventions in 1918-21.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure that you can assume either total rationality by the Syrian leadership, or even more importantly, a unified command. There may be some pretty wild guys roaming around Syria now, fighting for Assad, but doing their own thing. Both sides may be fragmenting, as often happens in civil war.

Yes, that's true and that possibility makes the situation even scarier and should surely demand even greater caution from Western leaders.

quote:
Of course, it's possible that a rogue rebel unit fired this, but hopefully Western intelligence will check this to buggery.
Trouble is, most of the leaders planning action seem to have made up their minds before a lot of the intelligence (eg the UN inspectors' report) has come in yet. Shoot first, ask questions later springs to mind...

quote:
Well, OK, 'intelligence' in quotes.
Exactly - if it wasn't so troubling you'd have to [Killing me] . It all sounds like WMDs, 45 minutes, dodgy dossiers all over again...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

It's very likely that the West already has agents on the ground in Syria, of various kinds, military intelligence, special ops, blah blah blah.

But it's a moot point whether they can find out about the chemical attacks, unless they have sources in very high places in the Syrian high command. Well, they may do, as may the rebels.

But as I said, I actually don't think that a few Cruise missiles will make any difference. The Russians will huff and puff, and do nothing; Iran will huff and puff and send arms and cash to Assad; and so on.

I suppose it might help rebel moral, but that depends on which rebels you have in mind, since there are supposed to be over 1000 militias now in Syria.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Enoch:
quote:

Fletcher Christian I agree with you on lobbing bombs, but am not so sure there's much similarity with the Easter Rising....

Actually, I think there is. Syria is a country in political meltdown with the party in power seemingly using force inappropriately against another force that seemingly strikes randomly for small victories. It's muddled mess, but history is littered with muddled messes. Nobody felt the need to lob bombs into Indonesia in '92 when the country went into political meltdown. Nobody is suggesting that we lob bombs into Egypt as a cure to lead to political stability. What makes Syria the focus of attention now? If it really is the use of chemical weapons, what exactly is the difference between killing a few hundred people with a scud missile or killing them with a chemical bomb (apart from the question of time)?

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

This is what I don't understand - surely now was a terrible time* for Assad to use chemical weapons; it really doesn't make sense for him to have used them knowing it would likely provoke western intervention against him (unless he's completely loco...).

I read recently that Assad's brother is in charge of the military and is particularly brutal, ordering the beheading of civilians. He is also thought to hold a lot of power over Assad. If anyone is loco I'd be looking at him. He was thought to have been injured in the bombing of the presidential palace last year.
(As an aside I worked as a nurse in an eye hospital shortly after Assad had been working there as an ophthalmologist. Everyone said he was quite normal but reserved, nothing to make him stand out as different in any way and you wouldn't have guessed he was the son of a dictator.)

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I read recently that Assad's brother is in charge of the military and is particularly brutal, ordering the beheading of civilians.

There is a tendency for absolute power to breed absolute villainy. There is also a long tradition of stories of atrocities committed by ones enemy including the apocryphal ones of German soldiers bayoneting babies etc.

That said, I'm not sure what lobbing Tomahawk missiles everywhere will do - other than cause more collateral damage. Cruise missile strikes don't have a great track record in overthrowing dictators.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

One of the big fallacies in these issues is that 'We must do something' is automatically a sequitur from 'This is terrible'.

It is a prerequisite for a war's being just, that there must be serious prospects of success. How does anyone maintain that lobbing some missiles randomly from a boat in the Mediterranean meets that test?

What is 'success' in this context? The Assad regime before this civil war started wasn't cuddly, and at the moment, is striking out like an injured tiger. But we've not been given any reason even to hope, yet alone imagine, that there's an alternative team of nice guys waiting in the wings to take over.

One can't assess whether one's course of action has a serious prospect of success just by ducking the questions what would be success and how one would know whether one had got there.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

But this is the Srebrenica complex, isn't it? With a side-helping of Milosevic. Western leaders are aware of the charge that they did nothing, over various atrocities, Rwanda as well. So they want to demonstrate that they are doing something, as a kind of self-exculpation.

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably the most asinine post that I will ever make. I'm wondering if it's so stupid, it just might work. Otherwise, it's just stupid.

Assad is a jerk, his regime corrupt. But he has the power. Attempting to overthrow him is a mess of factions, including some variant of Al-Qaida. The Russians back Assad.

So we get the Ruskies on board, go in, disable the Syrian military, put down the insurrections, and enforce a Pax Romana. Attempt to clean up the Assad gov't, empower the people, nad if it don't work in a certain time period, get out of Dodge.

Easier said than done, but one thing our military can do (if left to itself and not crippled by lopsided rules of engagement) is kicking butt & taking names.

Yeah, it's a ridiculous long shot, fraught with it's own problems, but other than that I see no effective way to stop these people from killing each other in the most gruesome ways that they devise.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than the US, UK, France et al getting together to bomb Assad into decency (VERY likely, not) they should call Putin's bluff and give the following reasons:

1. If the regime were responsible for the chemical attack(s) then they are far more likely to be listened to than we are.

2. If it was not the regime then they, being perceived as friends by the regime, will be most likely to ensure that the regime's response is reasonable.

3. Putin is most likely to be able to persuade the regime to allow in specialist investigative teams.

No, not what we all want to hear when we see newsreel of refugee children and dying civilians but I'd have thought we'd learned by now that, however well-meaning, we aren't welcome in the middle east.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have real fear that air strikes may kill many citizens not already slaughtered by their own country in gas attacks. My nightmare is that the whole situation will further escalate and once begun will be impossible to stop. I realise that we all feel something has to be done but am not convinced that military action is the right choice.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

The most compelling reason I can see to do something is that doing nothing is effectively affording a free pass to anyone who chooses to use weapons outlawed by international conventions.
Well surely we should have investigated last year when it was alleged that the al Quaeda linked opposition forces used chemical weapons on government forces...?

All this posturing is madness, the UN investigation will not finish until Sunday, so unless the US and UK have intelligence already (which seems to make a UN investigation redundant) this is madness which is doing nothing to actually solve the issue.

As the current situations in Egypt and Libya, amongst other places, should teach us, we don't always get what we hope for, in the clear light of day we seem to end up with something that is, if not actually worse than the original, just as bad as what was there before.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Rather than the US, UK, France et al getting together to bomb Assad into decency (VERY likely, not) they should call Putin's bluff and give the following reasons:

1. If the regime were responsible for the chemical attack(s) then they are far more likely to be listened to than we are.

2. If it was not the regime then they, being perceived as friends by the regime, will be most likely to ensure that the regime's response is reasonable.

3. Putin is most likely to be able to persuade the regime to allow in specialist investigative teams.

No, not what we all want to hear when we see newsreel of refugee children and dying civilians but I'd have thought we'd learned by now that, however well-meaning, we aren't welcome in the middle east.

Thank you for out-thinking me. I like it!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

We must do something...

This is something...

We must do this.

A logical fallacy in action. The question is not between doing something or doing nothing. A world leader or a nation's media expressing disapproval is something. It has an effect, though less dramatic than other somethings.

The question about military intervention is the tricky conundrum of doing harm in order to prevent harm. And with both the harm we plan to cause and the harm we plan to prevent being impossible to fully predict.

We must weigh the harm we will likely cause by military intervention, and it would be significant and potentially catastrophic harm, against the harm of not intervening militarily. What is the accepted price we are willing to pay to prevent further chemical attacks?

Military intervention will cause the deaths of innocent Syrian civilians, it will escalate the situation and destabilise the state further than ever. It will destroy homes, and ruin lives. It will cost a great deal of money we cannot afford, expend valuable military resources that perhaps should be better reserved in order to protect us from future attacks. It will cost the lives of likely many tens of British servicemen and women. It will cause political unrest and instability among the region and create significant bad feeling among people who don't want us there. It may even cause the rise and power grab of a dictatorship far worse than Assad, or turn it into a failed state and a terrorist-den. The consequences of removing Assad may be worse in the long-term for the region and for us than leaving him in power.

This is a high price to pay. What are we hoping to achieve by intervening in this civil war to support one side against the other? To prevent further chemical attacks, both in Syria and abroad? Is this principle worth the cost? Are chemical attacks the line we want to draw, that a state can do anything in war or civil repression, but once it releases chemical weapons we will invade. What makes chemical weapons worse than any other atrocity we have tolerated, ignored, and in some cases supported up to now around the world?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there’s a debate to be had over whether military intervention ever helps a situation or just makes the violence worse.

If two boys are fighting in the playground, having a teacher come to break them up might work. Having a teacher come to join in the fight, and to attack one boy in support of the other, would be considered criminal and would get the teacher fired for abusing his position of power.

Is military intervention in any situation an abuse of the power status of the intervener?

What other methods of conflict resolution could be used instead?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Sorry but I think this to be naive. The tactics used in the Battle of Grozny in the Second Chechen War shows how much Putin cares about civilian casualties. If he was willing to allow indiscriminate shelling against people who were technically Russian civilians why would he care about Syrians?
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I think there’s a debate to be had over whether military intervention ever helps a situation or just makes the violence worse.

If two boys are fighting in the playground, having a teacher come to break them up might work. Having a teacher come to join in the fight, and to attack one boy in support of the other, would be considered criminal and would get the teacher fired for abusing his position of power.

Is military intervention in any situation an abuse of the power status of the intervener?

What other methods of conflict resolution could be used instead?

It depends on how much they are thinking about Milosevic, since I would think that military intelligence see that as a success. Milosevic was brought to the negotiation table via bombing.

However, it's a bad analogy. Milosevic was dumped by the Russians, I think; but I don't think Assad will be, unless something untoward occurs.

In any case, I don't think the West are really trying to force Assad to peace terms. Surely, it's partly pour encourager les autres, with regard to chemical weapons.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
posted by Enoch:
quote:

Fletcher Christian I agree with you on lobbing bombs, but am not so sure there's much similarity with the Easter Rising....

Actually, I think there is. Syria is a country in political meltdown with the party in power seemingly using force inappropriately against another force that seemingly strikes randomly for small victories. It's muddled mess, but history is littered with muddled messes. Nobody felt the need to lob bombs into Indonesia in '92 when the country went into political meltdown. Nobody is suggesting that we lob bombs into Egypt as a cure to lead to political stability. What makes Syria the focus of attention now? If it really is the use of chemical weapons, what exactly is the difference between killing a few hundred people with a scud missile or killing them with a chemical bomb (apart from the question of time)?
Imagine it as Assad calling the west's bluff - you said you'd do something, not so easy is it ?

3000 approx are believed to have been injured, with about 450 deaths, that is a small strike. The chemical attacks seem to have been getting bigger over time. What happens if, instead of say - besieging Homs or another city, they just gas it ? It is a far more pervasive weapon than a shell that hits one building.

I guess this is the scenario people are worried about, what is the consequence of not responding. Assad is an Alawite, a member of religious / tribal minority - my bet is they fear that if they lose they will be wiped out as a people (and in the current conflict this may be a realistic fear). So it maybe they have literally nothing to lose by escalating the conflict in this way providing they ultimately win.

Also tribes tend to be settled in specific geographic areas - chemical weapons are a potentially very rapid form of genocide against other communities within Syria.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

The West will also be thinking about their own armies in the future. If chemical weapons proliferate, and become widely used, then at some point in the future, a Western army will have to face them, and possibly, use them. That is not an inviting prospect, although no doubt, one they are preparing for.

The obvious example is Israel. In a future Israel/Hezbollah clash, suppose Hezbollah use chemical warfare? OK, Israel would annihilate them, but then what?

[ 28. August 2013, 16:15: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It depends on how much they are thinking about Milosevic, since I would think that military intelligence see that as a success. Milosevic was brought to the negotiation table via bombing.

Except that what actually happened is that a war of attrition was triggered where Milosevic gradually tapered up his attacks to the point that the planners were worried about running out of cruise missiles.

It was Russian action that finally forced him to the negotiation table.

I think politicians are addicted to the idea of neat surgical strikes that act as the diplomatic equivalent of a precise ju-jitsu move to coerce ones opponent to behave in an 'acceptable manner'.

[ 28. August 2013, 16:18: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that innocent people are being killed and de-housed. Our 'solution' is to kill and de-house some more.

The problem is, I no longer trust politicians. This is not aimed at Tory politicians, I wouldn't trust the Labour ones either. My question is, whose agenda are they following? Is it ours, the British people's? I think not. Who sets the agenda? Good question. If you try to answer that one, you end up sounding like a conspiracy theory nutter. But agenda there is, and no one will persuade me otherwise.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are friends, friends of my kids, young folks at church, kids of friends, who have all seen duty in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, and the like. I can't think of anything in Syria that is worth their lives being on the line.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Incidentally, Hezbollah is beating the war drums right now, saying that if the West mount a major attack on Syria, they will target Israel. But this is all like playing poker.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

Except that what actually happened is that a war of attrition was triggered where Milosevic gradually tapered up his attacks to the point that the planners were worried about running out of cruise missiles.

It was Russian action that finally forced him to the negotiation table.

I think politicians are addicted to the idea of neat surgical strikes that act as the diplomatic equivalent of a precise ju-jitsu move to coerce ones opponent to behave in an 'acceptable manner'.

Well, gee, thanks for leaving out my sentence, 'Milosevic was dumped by the Russians'. I don't think Assad will be. Big difference.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Israeli intel is reporting discussion of chemical attacks by Syrian officers. Rather vague stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/28/israeli-intelligence-intercepted-syria-chemical-talk

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prester John: Putin was not in charge during the the second Chechen war and the build-up to the siege of Grozny was before he was in a position to have any say.

The Second Chechen war was planned and pushed through by president Boris Yeltsin and his generals. Although Putin was part of the government, he had little input since the Chechen war was seen as being to do with the military, not state security. Putin didn't begin his first term as president until 3 months after the siege of Grozny finished.

What is going on in Syria at the moment is horrific but we should not be misled into seeing it as a simplified war of good against evil: quite apart from anything else, various factions (Iran, Hezbollah, Saudi Arabia, possibly Al Qaeda) are pursuing their own aims through their backing of factions opposed to the Assad regime.

If anyone doubts this they should look at the way the violence is already spilling over into Lebanon and be very afraid.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

posted by Doublethink:
quote:

Imagine it as Assad calling the west's bluff - you said you'd do something, not so easy is it ?

I agree with that, and if it can be proved for certain who used a chemical weapon then the position of taking action becomes much stronger. But the inspectors aren't back a wet weekend yet; in fact they aren't even back at all, and we haven't seen anything from their investigations yet that indicates what type of chemical weapon was used and by whom, yet we have a country far, far away with a history of fucking up other countries from its distant past right into the present wanting to do the same mistake all over again. It's bloody mad.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
There are friends, friends of my kids, young folks at church, kids of friends, who have all seen duty in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, and the like. I can't think of anything in Syria that is worth their lives being on the line.

There are human beings in Syria . The Western public is constantly duped into believing military action is carried out for humanitarian reasons. I'm often sceptical that this is the prime mover.

We all wish we had the solution to the woes of the Middle East . Fact is , it's oil-rich and for a long time all the major powers have constantly plied it with arms.
Support dictators and you have oppression of peoples and the threat of war . Take dictators out and you open the gate to a myriad of militia, each with a twisted agenda that only ever seems to manifest itself in bloodshed .

Gordian Knot hardly comes close . < Apologies for the bleak assessment >

[Votive] For those involved.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
We must do something...

This is something...

We must do this.

A logical fallacy in action. The question is not between doing something or doing nothing. A world leader or a nation's media expressing disapproval is something. It has an effect, though less dramatic than other somethings.

The question about military intervention is the tricky conundrum of doing harm in order to prevent harm. And with both the harm we plan to cause and the harm we plan to prevent being impossible to fully predict.

We must weigh the harm we will likely cause by military intervention, and it would be significant and potentially catastrophic harm, against the harm of not intervening militarily. What is the accepted price we are willing to pay to prevent further chemical attacks?

Military intervention will cause the deaths of innocent Syrian civilians, it will escalate the situation and destabilise the state further than ever. It will destroy homes, and ruin lives. It will cost a great deal of money we cannot afford, expend valuable military resources that perhaps should be better reserved in order to protect us from future attacks. It will cost the lives of likely many tens of British servicemen and women. It will cause political unrest and instability among the region and create significant bad feeling among people who don't want us there. It may even cause the rise and power grab of a dictatorship far worse than Assad, or turn it into a failed state and a terrorist-den. The consequences of removing Assad may be worse in the long-term for the region and for us than leaving him in power.

This is a high price to pay. What are we hoping to achieve by intervening in this civil war to support one side against the other? To prevent further chemical attacks, both in Syria and abroad? Is this principle worth the cost? Are chemical attacks the line we want to draw, that a state can do anything in war or civil repression, but once it releases chemical weapons we will invade. What makes chemical weapons worse than any other atrocity we have tolerated, ignored, and in some cases supported up to now around the world?

Hawk, that all strikes me as good sense.

Originally posted by quetzocoatl
quote:
But this is the Srebrenica complex, isn't it? With a side-helping of Milosevic. Western leaders are aware of the charge that they did nothing, over various atrocities, Rwanda as well. So they want to demonstrate that they are doing something, as a kind of self-exculpation.
The lesson the rest of the world should have learnt from the post-Yugoslavia crisis is that the difference between the Serbs and the Bosnians was that the Serbs were winning and so it was they that had the opportunity to commit genocide rather than the Bosnians.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016