homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Multiple Lutherans

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Multiple Lutherans
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a non-Lutheran, I have observed that in the United States, we have several different branches of the Lutheran church. I have not yet encountered a good explanation of this phenomenon. Can any of the Shipmates explain this briefly?

Of course, one can ask the same question about multiple Baptists and multiple Methodists. Perhaps people just don't get along well.

[Edited to correct thread title spelling -- RuthW, temp Purg host]

[ 03. September 2013, 21:23: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a non-Lutheran, the reason for the diversity of Lutheran denominations in the U.S. is basically differences on various theological issues, plus the varying European countries (Scandanavian countries and Germany) immigrants came from.

From what i observe, the ethnic thing has lessened, and there are a lot of Lutherans without German or Scandanavian ancestry, e.g., there are at least 2 predominantly African American congregations here in Atlanta. And nowadays there have been mergers among various denominations.

So ISTM the main differences are theological. The 2 biggest denominations in the US are the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), which is more liberal and ecumenical-minded, and the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod which is more conservative (and in a lot more placed than Missouri!)

But Olaf or LutheranChik are in a better position to speak of all this.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the answer, but I suspect it won't be brief [Smile]
Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Perhaps people just don't get along well.

That's the briefest explanation I've seen! [Smile]

The longer answer lies in ethnic heritage and consequently language. In immigrant days, Norwegian churches (who spoke Norwegian, of course) tended to band together. Likewise with Swedish, Danish, Finnish, German, Slovak, etc. Then there were the East Coast Germans--earlier immigrants--who differ quite a bit from the later German immigrants who settled in the Midwest (LCMS, for instance). Over decades, there were various mergers and alliances. The Norwegians allied together, while the Swedish found more similarity in the Pennsylvania Germans.

malik is right: language and heritage issues really only apply now to those of us who still live in what are, essentially, surviving enclaves. Go to Minnesota and the Norwegian heritage is still alive and well, even though Norwegian is now a second, chosen language. Theology is beginning to replace ethnic lines as a litmus test for who belongs and who does not.

Add to it the fact that it's a simple vote to leave a denomination--with property, in most cases--and it's pretty easy to go. A denom provides only a couple of advantages: a stock of clergy, seminaries to train them, pension and insurance plans for said clergy, and a point of doctrinal unity (and since Lutheranism in the US is so very congregational, this is not always seen as an advantage. It's not uncommon for Lutherans in very ethnic areas to think of their own local congregation as the One True Church, and to avoid contact with any others!)

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that in Brazil, IECLB is the equivalent of ELCA, and IELB is Missouri. They don't always get along well either.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Lutheran, but I did attend a very nice LCA (?) church for a couple of years, decades ago.

The Sunday service was much like a simple RC mass. In fact, denoms/churches were coordinating their services by then. We tended to sing most everything. I liked it a lot.

I find the ethnic bit a bit tricky. Not really for myself--I've got some of the "appropriate" ancestry. OTOH, I've met Native Americans who were Lutherans! Mind-boggling, when you're only used to the Germanic/Scandinavian version of Lutherans.

BTW, I gather that the Wisconsin Synod is even more conservative than Missouri!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I find the ethnic bit a bit tricky. Not really for myself--I've got some of the "appropriate" ancestry. OTOH, I've met Native Americans who were Lutherans! Mind-boggling, when you're only used to the Germanic/Scandinavian version of Lutherans.

The ELCA's Presiding Bishop-Elect has thankfully been highlighting that we are not just Scandinavians and Germans. We're trying. We really are. Old stereotypes are hard to break. I'm afraid that Lutheranism has been so localized to certain regions that many non-Lutherans in the US don't really have a good vision of what it means to be a Lutheran.

quote:
BTW, I gather that the Wisconsin Synod is even more conservative than Missouri!
Yep!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one time there were over 100 different Lutheran Synods in the US. Each time there was a new Lutheran immigration the people would set up their own Synod, then at the turn of the 20th century there began a move to combine the different Synods. Over the years and with several mergers eventually it has been reduced to 20 Synods now. The two major ones are the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, but there are a number of much smaller synods.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Non-Lutheran but my understanding is that LCMS is Young Earth Creationist.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost on a village-by-village basis, I gather Gramps?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding German Lutheran immigration:
There were two large waves of German Lutherans. The first occurred in the first half of the 18th cent. and included German Lutherans, as well as German Calvinist and Anabaptists, from the Palatine region. The come to America to escape the frequent invasions of the French. Many were enticed with Pennsylvania's policy of generous grants of land. This group makes up a large percentage of ELCA Lutherans in Pa.

The second wave of immigration by Germans occurred in the 1830-40 period when various German princes, most notably Prussia, attempted to force a merger of Lutherans and Calvinist. These German Lutheran immigrants arrived at the port of New Orleans and traveled up the Mississippi to what is now St. Louis and spread out through the Midwest. This group formed the core of what would become the Missouri Synod Lutherans. They tend to be more theologically conservative and less inclined towards ecumenism, even with their fellow Lutherans. Example: On the much loved old sitcom "Cheers" there was a scene where Woody, the doltish bartender, and his girlfriend are discussing marriage. Woody says that theirs would be a "mixed" marriage because he was ELCA and she was Missouri Synod.

Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something I have long been curious about has been the reluctance of the more conservative U.S. Lutherans to ally themselves with other evangelicals. For example, there is nothing in the Statement of Faith of the National Association of Evangelicals that Missouri Synod folk would disagree with, nor the right wing of the ELCA. My perception, rightly or wrongly, is that at least some conservative Lutherans not only regard the Lutheran Confessions as an authentic expression of true Christianity but as the authentic expression of true Christianity --- hence the hesitation to significantly engage in any interdenominational cooperation. Am I wrong?

[ 04. September 2013, 15:15: Message edited by: WearyPilgrim ]

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
John D. Ward
Shipmate
# 1378

- Posted      Profile for John D. Ward   Email John D. Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody once says that the difference between Anglicanism and Lutheranism is that whereas Anglicans will tolerate any heresy rather than run the risk of schism, Lutherans will tolerate any schism rather than run the risk of heresy.
Posts: 208 | From: Swansea, Wales, U.K. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think an alliance between conservative Lutherans and Evangelicals is highly unlikely. Conservative Lutheran tend to take their theology very seriously and would probably object to the Evangelical teachings that deny the efficacy of infant baptism and the concept the Real Presence in the Eucharist.
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need Lamb Chopped to contribute. Where is she? Long time no see
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
The Norwegians allied together, while the Swedish found more similarity in the Pennsylvania Germans.

What sort of Lutheranism did these bring with them from Germany? I always understood that German Lutheranism tended to pietism and, liturgically, to 'low church' ceremonial, whereas the Church of Sweden has done neither. But I have no real experience of Lutheranism in any variety, so I am open to correction.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering why the more liberal ecumenically-minded ELCA doesn't just join with TEC. Given the recent modus vivendi the two churches have reached over episcopacy, I'm not seeing any substantive reason for them to remain apart, except for maybe a certain national/ethnic identification that both of them seem anxious to shed.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mere speculation, but first because ELCA is bigger and TEC doesn't want to get swallowed, and second because ELCA is too congregational for TEC's tastes. They are comfortable as cousins that you have over frequently for dinner, but living together would ruin the relationship with each other's bad habits.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Officially, the LCMS does not take a position on the age of the earth. They will still say everything was created in six days, but there is some fudging on what the Hebrew term Yom means.

All Lutherans, though, will accept the argument that God is still creating. While Luther believed in the six day creation, he would point out that God only rested on the seventh day. God only rested on the seventh day. There was an eighth day. Creation continues. It is in God's nature to create.

[ 04. September 2013, 19:29: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taking this conversation a bit further, are most US Episcopalians of English or Welsh descent and most US Presbyterians of Scots or Ulster descent? If so, do any of them still self identify as such?

To confuse everyone on the west side of the Atlantic a bit further, about half the Protestants in Ulster are CofI not Presbyterian, but I think Presbyterians may have formed a larger proportion of the big emigration in the C18.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a few generations it's hard to tell. People marry, people change churches, a couple chooses the church of the husband or wife, etc. Not to mention more than a few religious disruptions that cause people to move churches.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Taking this conversation a bit further, are most US Episcopalians of English or Welsh descent and most US Presbyterians of Scots or Ulster descent? If so, do any of them still self identify as such?

Here is a summary of the ethnic demographics of TEC as of 2009. "Non-Hispanic white" makes up 86.7%. My guess is that these are more likely to have a British Isles connection than the US population as a whole, but you can find people of almost any ancestry in TEC.

I happen to be of Scandinavian ancestry, but for some reason I never had an interest in trying out Lutheranism. I've been Episcopalian since college.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
Non-Lutheran but my understanding is that LCMS is Young Earth Creationist.

More or less officially, as I understand it. You can read the LCMS's position [url= http://lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=1103]here[/url]

Now, there are probably numerous individual Missouri Synod Lutherans who shrug this off just like there are Catholics who do not share their church's teaching on certain bioethics issues. Any more and I'm getting into dead horse territory.

Sometimes you just go to church where your family has always gone to church, and leave the theologians to argue about the number of angels on a pinhead.

Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
After a few generations it's hard to tell. People marry, people change churches, a couple chooses the church of the husband or wife, etc. Not to mention more than a few religious disruptions that cause people to move churches.

Sometimes within a single generation. Both of my parents grew up in different denominations from the ones in which they've ended up, and the same goes for me. About half of my college chaplaincy, including the chaplain, had come from other denominations.

Some of the other half, on the other hand, have families that have been Episcopalian (or pre-revolutionary Anglicans) for at least eight or nine generations. And some to back all the way.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In my hometown in the New York area, the Lutheran churches are by far the least racially diverse (with the exception of African-American or Korean churches!). The Episcopal churches often now have Spanish language services for the increasing number of former Catholic Latinos in attendance.

[ 05. September 2013, 07:58: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To confuse everyone on the west side of the Atlantic a bit further, about half the Protestants in Ulster are CofI not Presbyterian, but I think Presbyterians may have formed a larger proportion of the big emigration in the C18.

Most people of 18th Century Ulster-Scots immigrant decent, certainly in Appalachia and the South, eventually became Baptists or the like after a generation or two.
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Appalachia many people do not choose their church on the basis of denomination. Proximity is more important. In this region two places that are one mile apart as the crow flies may be five or even ten miles apart by road.

If the nearest church is congenial, people usually stick with it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Germans are a very strong strain in TEC society, partly as many early German settlers were drawn to Episcopalian services in the absence of their own clergy. As far as Presbyterians go, Koreans are now an astonishingly impressive cohort.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016