homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Dead Horses.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ordination of Women Contagion Theory

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ordination of Women Contagion Theory
Peter Spence
Shipmate
# 14085

- Posted      Profile for Peter Spence   Author's homepage   Email Peter Spence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my travels to and from various religious blogs I've come across the belief that when a bishop ordains a woman he becomes somehow "spoiled" and any male subsequently ordained by him would have either extremely suspect or completely invalid orders. I assume this would be subscibed to by those who prefer the ministry of 'Flying Bishops' in the CoE. Just wondering if this is the official teaching of any Church and what the theological basis is.
Posts: 51 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Peter Spence
Shipmate
# 14085

- Posted      Profile for Peter Spence   Author's homepage   Email Peter Spence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'subscibed' needs an 'r'. PS
Posts: 51 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Spence:
In my travels to and from various religious blogs I've come across the belief that when a bishop ordains a woman he becomes somehow "spoiled" and any male subsequently ordained by him would have either extremely suspect or completely invalid orders. I assume this would be subscibed to by those who prefer the ministry of 'Flying Bishops' in the CoE. Just wondering if this is the official teaching of any Church and what the theological basis is.

I have come across this "tainted hands" theory before, but am not personally familiar with anyone with anyone who subscribes to it. It makes no sense to me, and it appears to be a very poor understanding of sacramental theology, specifically the concept of intention.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Spence:

This is the so-called theology of 'taint', and precious few people actually hold it, in my experience.

What they might believe is that, by purporting to ordain women, said bishop has demonstrated that he possesses a flawed idea of what the sacrament of orders is, and thus his intention in ordaining would be defective (the validity of a sacrament being traditionally held to be a case of valid matter, form, and intent).

It may also be the case that people who oppose OoW speak of bishops as being 'spoiled' from 'soundness' or what-have-you, without necessarily attaching any theological force to the statement. It is easy to see how such statements may be mis-read, or even harden into cod-theologies over time.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ordination of women is one of a group of topics that we have a special board for--topics that may never be settled, and generate a lot of discussion pro and con--so I will send this down there.

So see you at the bottom of the page down at Dead Horses.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016