homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Holy Water (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Holy Water
Karl Kroenen
Apprentice
# 16822

- Posted      Profile for Karl Kroenen   Email Karl Kroenen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you had a bottle of holy water and a bottle of normal unblessed tapwater, could someone tell which was which in a blind test?

If not - what is the 'point?'

--------------------
God loves you so much that He created Hell, just in case you don't love Him back.

Posts: 34 | From: Bristol | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've missed the point.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Karl Kroenen
Apprentice
# 16822

- Posted      Profile for Karl Kroenen   Email Karl Kroenen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...so enlighten me

--------------------
God loves you so much that He created Hell, just in case you don't love Him back.

Posts: 34 | From: Bristol | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Lutheran baptism is the use of water combined with God's Word. It is the act of baptism that is holy, not the water itself. The water is very common. It is set apart (ie holy) for a specific act. Aside from that action it is only water.

[ 23. September 2013, 19:35: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the colleague who recently brought twenty ten litre bottles of water from Lourdes back to the UK also miss the point?

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you met a Christian and a non-Christian, before either said hello, could you tell which is which?

I'm not sure the "point" of Holy Water is to be instantly detectable. Strike that, I'm certain that's not the point.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(x-post with mousethief)

Oh wow, you've pointed out something nobody has ever thought about holy water at all! The Vatican may not last the night. Good work, chaps.

[ 23. September 2013, 19:53: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kroenen:
If you had a bottle of holy water and a bottle of normal unblessed tapwater, could someone tell which was which in a blind test?

The former might work on a vampire.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you're in Austria, apparently you can just test for fecal matter.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It used to be customary, AIUI, to add salt to holy water. That custom is apparently not a strict rule any more, but is still observed in some churches. So yes, in some churches, a random person off the street performing a blind taste test actually could tell the difference.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The holy water would taste slightly salty, I think. But it's not meant for drinking in any case.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you have to exorcise the salt that is put into the holy water, begging the question of whether exorcised salt tastes different to ordinary salt that may contain demons. [Two face]
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
The holy water would taste slightly salty, I think. But it's not meant for drinking in any case.

Oh?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you were blind and you had a copy of the Bible and a copy of the Kama Sutra in your hands how would you tell the difference ? would it matter anyway ?

Holy water is a water which has been blessed for a specific purpose.It is used with faith.It is difficult to touch faith.
Lourdes water is simply water from Lourdes,usually from the spring beside the well known sanctuary. For those with faith(an elusive quality) they may believe that the Virgin Mary asked people to come and pray and wash in the spring.For those who cannot actually go to Lourdes,those who have gone there will sometimes bring back the water. It's as simple as that.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never been to Lourdes. Question, is the spring water Lourdes a mineral water?

Regards, putting salt into baptismal water: when the water is used over and over by a congregation, salt was added because of its antiseptic qualities. Those that practice this say it was also a symbol of exorcism,

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Never been to Lourdes. Question, is the spring water Lourdes a mineral water?

Regards, putting salt into baptismal water: when the water is used over and over by a congregation, salt was added because of its antiseptic qualities. Those that practice this say it was also a symbol of exorcism,

Madonna's daughter is a girl not a source of refreshment (ok she might be for some, then)
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you had a bottle of holy water and a bottle of normal unblessed tapwater, could someone tell which was which in a blind test? If not - what is the 'point?'

A national flag is just a piece of cloth. If you fly it on the battle field to rally your troops, it becomes more than a piece of cloth by virtue of the hopes and actions of people that attach to it. If you fly that flag in your garden, then that can also be true, but there is more of a danger of it becoming hypocritical. Whether either of these is good, bad or ugly depends on what all the people who put their hopes and actions into this flag are actually up to.

Sacramentals, like (the use of) holy water are not sacraments. Thus what they are good for depends in a similar manner on what we do with them. However, unlike for the national flag, there is at least one person in play here whose intentions are good and pure: God. So if someone dips their fingers into holy water on their way out of Church, and draws a cross with it across their body, then this can mean something deep or it can be hypocritical - to them personally and to the community. But at least God can be expected to smile on such a dedication, for what it could and should symbolise (even if it doesn't in a particular case). None of this relies on "special properties" of the water that an empirical investigation would uncover. A national flag is also just cloth, physically speaking. That is not the point.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always bless the water in any swimming pool I enter. It's about grace you know.

KK, maybe the little boat of your life has come closer to the Kingdon by a simple swim, and you never knew.

Swim Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There may well be some differences in water from, say, Lourdes, to water from somewhere else. However, this is to do with the "other" chemicals that are mixed in with the H-O-H.

Though one might might want to be wary.

The blessing does nothing to the water. In that respect, it is as effective as a homeopathic "remedy". Unfortunately, the fact that some catholics and even some christians think it does have some mystical properties is a sad indictment on the legacy of superstition, which really has nothing to do with the christian faith.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
There may well be some differences in water from, say, Lourdes, to water from somewhere else. However, this is to do with the "other" chemicals that are mixed in with the H-O-H.

The blessing does nothing to the water. In that respect, it is as effective as a homeopathic "remedy". Unfortunately, the fact that some catholics and even some christians think it does have some mystical properties is a sad indictment on the legacy of superstition, which really has nothing to do with the christian faith.

Utter bollocks. What does 'some catholics and even some christians' mean?

What you are saying in effect is saying that atheism is correct. Well, hot shoe me with a twerkin firkin!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As the above poster rightly said: Utter bollocks!

God can and does work through his creation, such as through the water in baptism or water blessed or consecrated for any other purpose. To believe otherwise is in effect atheism or at the very least somekind of deism.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...the fact that some catholics and even some christians think it does have some mystical properties is a sad indictment on the legacy of superstition, which really has nothing to do with the christian faith.

*claps*

Gosh! I'd never realised that! All my life, I've been confused until suddenly the clouds have parted and the null-not-light of reason has shone through! No more wicked superstition for me!

AV

[ 24. September 2013, 11:00: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peter Spence
Shipmate
# 14085

- Posted      Profile for Peter Spence   Author's homepage   Email Peter Spence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Vampire could tell the difference.
Posts: 51 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Peter Spence
Shipmate
# 14085

- Posted      Profile for Peter Spence   Author's homepage   Email Peter Spence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry the Midge I missed yours.
Posts: 51 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the action of the water cycle, at what point does holy water cease to be holy water, or could we assume that by now, all water is?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's all been through the bladders of Caesar, Napoleon, and anyone you care to think of. I'm thinking of you, Auntie Bessie.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Water doesn't need to be blessed to be a reminder of our baptism.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
And you have to exorcise the salt that is put into the holy water, begging the question of whether exorcised salt tastes different to ordinary salt that may contain demons. [Two face]

Countless vampire movies over the last 30 years prove that water with demonic salt will not work on vampires.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Well, hot shoe me with a twerkin firkin!

Utter bollocks!

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Well, hot shoe me with a twerkin firkin!

Utter bollocks!
In the name of Chthulhu, may all water attain to the plenitude of the pleroma, where it may ascend to the aerie regions, and then fall upon us like an old Irishman's gentle pee!

Oops, sorry, wrong forum. Where's the incontinence forum?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Given the action of the water cycle, at what point does holy water cease to be holy water, or could we assume that by now, all water is?

At what point of ageing by usage (fading and wear and tear) does a national flag cease being a national flag? Since atoms and molecules of former, long decayed national flags will be found everywhere, is basically everything a national flag now?

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Fortunately the Church is incarnational in Spirit and understands basic human psychology, hence ignores such truisms in favour of the inspired and wise practice of rituals.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Agree with that.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:

This is not the case in Orthodoxy, where holy-water-drinking mini-rituals exist. Particularly on Theophany (Epiphany) at the Great Blessing of the Waters. (Recall Jan 6 in Orthodoxy commemorates our Lord's baptism, not the visit of the Wise Persons.)

quote:

Whatever gave you the quaint notion that the purpose of holy water is to be a reminder of our baptism? Methinks you are projecting a low-church Protestant anti-sacramentalism onto high-church practices, where it most emphatically does not belong. Whatever you think about our holy water, our reasons for using it have nowt to do with whatever you think about it. Really this should be obvious.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousie, in the Western Church, holy water used specifically in the ritual sprinkling before the principal Mass on a Sunday - "the Asperges" (though technically that name is taken from the portion of psalm Asperges Me sung during the sprinkling; during Eastertide the Vidi Aquam is sung instead) - certainly is a memorial of our baptism. In that usage there is certainly nothing anti-sacramentalist nor specifically protestant about the equation of the sprinkling of the congregation with holy water and the commemoration of our baptism.

[ 24. September 2013, 15:34: Message edited by: Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A number of years ago we went on a walking tour in Portugal. Were those holy water drinking fountains in all the church courtyards in small towns and villages? Beside the bone chapels? Are the bones in bone chapels especially blessed too? If the water is holy how come it said 'not fit for drinking'? (While we're at it, why does Portuguese sound like Polish?)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unfortunately, the fact that some catholics and even some christians think it does have some mystical properties is a sad indictment on the legacy of superstition, which really has nothing to do with the christian faith.

You would appear to lack understanding of the terms 'catholic', 'Christian', 'mystical', 'sad indictment', 'superstition', and 'Christian faith.'

That takes some doing.

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
A number of years ago we went on a walking tour in Portugal. Were those holy water drinking fountains in all the church courtyards in small towns and villages? Beside the bone chapels? Are the bones in bone chapels especially blessed too? If the water is holy how come it said 'not fit for drinking'? (While we're at it, why does Portuguese sound like Polish?)

Water from a drinking fountain is unlikely to have been blessed by a priest, so no, it is not holy water.

Water from a spring next to a particular shrine may be regarded as holy water, but this is an honorific holiness. It is not blessed.

Meanwhile, ritually blessed is not the same thing as potable, just as ritually clean is not the same thing as actually clean. Ritual cleansing uses only water (usually running water). Actual cleaning takes soap as well.

As for the bones, I cannot comment on whether they have been blessed or not because I am not familiar with Portugese rituals in this matter.

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:

The point is not whether the water needs it, but whether we need it.

The blessing of the water consecrates it to God's service, and reminds us that the same is true of us. It is certainly true that any water can remind us of our baptism, just as any drink can remind us of the champagne we drank at our wedding. But actual champagne is a better reminder.

[Smile]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Were those holy water drinking fountains in all the church courtyards in small towns and villages?

That's highly unlikely, unless there was some local custom of drinking holy water that was followed by such huge masses of people (streams of pilgrims) that installing a holy water drinking fountain makes sense. (Plus someone must have forgotten to put up a sign...)

quote:
Beside the bone chapels? Are the bones in bone chapels especially blessed too?

Is there more than one Chapel of Bones? I would say that it is fairly likely that there was some kind of blessing of these bones, and be it only in terms of consecrating the chapel as a building of prayer. It is possible that there was a holy water urn in or close to the chapel. Sometimes Catholics take away some holy water for home usage, e.g., to fill a personal stoup in the doorway of their house. Rather than scooping it from the church font or stoups, they would get it then from a holy water urn. It should be quite recognisable though, typically there would be a sign.

quote:
If the water is holy how come it said 'not fit for drinking'?

Presumably because it is not fit for drinking? What has that to do with being holy?

quote:
(While we're at it, why does Portuguese sound like Polish?)

Because you speak neither.

--------------------

Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If the water is holy how come it said 'not fit for drinking'?

Andrew Brown (an atheist) had a good go at answering this question in last week's Grauniad
quote:
Believers see it is as place of purity, not hygiene. Hygiene is sterile, but purity sustains life.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Is there more than one Chapel of Bones?

It would seem that there is. There is one in Silves another in Campo Maior, and I think the one to which your refer is near Faro. It is the one in Silves that comes to my mind. These aren't my pictures, but they are from the one I recall: Silves, Al Cantarilha

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fortunately the Church is incarnational in Spirit and understands basic human psychology, hence ignores such truisms in favour of the inspired and wise practice of rituals.

So there is no ontological change in the after during blessing, only min the minds of the faithful? A sort of placebo?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
to be a reminder of our baptism.

Whatever gave you the quaint notion that the purpose of holy water is to be a reminder of our baptism? Methinks you are projecting a low-church Protestant anti-sacramentalism onto high-church practices, where it most emphatically does not belong. [/QB][/QUOTE]

The Western (Catholic church) - who empties the holy water stoups during the Triduum and then unlocks toe waters of baptism at the Easter Vigil and refills them.

quote:
holy water reminds us of our Baptism, when by the invocation of the Holy Trinity and the pouring of holy water, we were set free from original sin and all sin, infused with sanctifying grace, incorporated into the Church, and given the title Son or Daughter of God.
says this RC priest in the Arlington catholic herald.

quote:
The blessing and sprinkling of holy water has evolved this way because of its connections with Baptism, the renewal of baptismal promises
says this RC Pastoral Liturgy site.
Now unless the Orthodoxen regard Roman Catholics as protestants, you are wrong.

[ 24. September 2013, 18:36: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I bless holy water (which I actually haven't done yet as we have a huge amount of it in the sacristy), I'll be participating in the embodied prayer of all who use it. Of course, people can pray privately using whatever water they want, but many of them want a cleric of the Church to be involved in their prayer to help connect their popular devotion with the Church's liturgy.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
blah fucking blah

It is as I figured. You left out the more catholic points of what he said and only posted the one that is protestant-safe, then mocked it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
blah fucking blah

As you know, personal attacks belong in hell.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So there is no ontological change in the after during blessing, only min the minds of the faithful? A sort of placebo?
There is no ontological change. Blessing of things aren't about that: they are about the setting aside of something for a particular use. The current book of blessings makes this less clear (concentrating rather on imprecations God's blessing on those who used the blessed object (which is a good and holy thing for which to pray); the older Roman Ritual, however, makes abundantly clear that the thing to be blessed is first exorcised of malevolent spirits and then set aside for holy use and holy use alone.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Why take the piss like this?

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Can you please say what is meant by ontological change here? The substances of communion, bread and wine, do they experience this change, but the water doesn't? Then how might it be holy?

Further, what sort of of change might an average human convert to Christianity experience? On our deaths, what is then change in us?

Finally, what change, if any, did Jesus ever experience in his substance during his life and death? I think the debates about this have been the stuff of various heresies, though am not educated about this. I'm thinking about Jesus' baptism and the dove and voice scene, and the dying and the resurrection, but perhaps there are other markers in his life worthy of inclusion.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Can you please say what is meant by ontological change here? The substances of communion, bread and wine, do they experience this change, but the water doesn't? Then how might it be holy?

It is set apart for God. That's what 'holy' means.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016