homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hart's Final Vows -- 9/7 -- Notre Dame, IN (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hart's Final Vows -- 9/7 -- Notre Dame, IN
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Holding you in the Light)) now and on the day of your vows.

May you walk in Light all the days of your life.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now have a url for the live broadcast. Despite the link saying Sunday 11:45am (we regularly broadcast that mass on this page), the ceremony is 10am (Eastern time, 5 hours behind London) on Saturday.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes and prayers, Hart.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hart, my prayers and congratulations go with you as you make this next step in your life.
Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] God be with you, now and always.
Blessings and congratulations, Hart.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Thoughts and prayers to you, Hart, as you prepare. If I weren't already scheduled for that day (sigh), I'd make the brief sojourn. Maybe for your priesting!

For the other Shipmates thinking about watching the webcast, let me put in a plug: these people do the Catholic Rite right. Watch it!

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for you on this special day.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Last minute prayers for you Hart. May it be a wonderful day.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of you today, Hart. [Votive] [Axe murder] [Votive]
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best, Hart. I'll be thinking of you in the morning.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blessings, Hart [Votive] [Axe murder] [Votive]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of you today. Best wishes on this stage of your journey.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prayers today and tomorrow.

Suscipe me Domine, secundum eloquium tuum et vivam. Et non confundas me ab expectatione mea.
[Votive]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A joyful day! God be with you, Hart.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every blessing - have a wonderful day [Votive]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] today and for the weeks to come, from the back row of the NT Greek class

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers for today. May it be a joyous start to your new ministry.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely, lovely service! MW reports will follow. Meanwhile, enjoy some photos.

I understand that others will be uploading more photos too.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers and warmest wishes, Hart, as you begin this next phase of your vocation. [Votive]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the pics. I could get the feed but now I've seen some of the service.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Lovely, lovely service! MW reports will follow. Meanwhile, enjoy some photos.

Thank you for the pictures.

[Votive] Once again, Hart, prayers for the new ordinands.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that I could have seen you yesterday, but we have an Apple and could not get it working. Wish I'd known when you were at St. John Vianney - I would have bought you a lunch! Congrats on your ordination. Will you be staying in South Bend for awhile?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words cannot express what a joyous day that was.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Words cannot express what a joyous day that was.

To witness those solemn vows made by a friend, to pray together with friends in such a beautiful sacred space ... I tell you, my heart overflowed.

Here are a few photos to add to the collection.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, Hart and Patrick were ordained deacons by the Archbishop of Indianapolis. MW report is forthcoming, but meanwhile here are some photos.

I'm not completely satisfied with these -- lighting in the chapel was extremely difficult -- but enjoy anyway!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am quite amazed that you were permitted to take pictures during Holy Mass, at all.

It must have been bad enough with the taping of the Mass, let alone with random flashes going off in people's faces.

I enjoyed the external shots, however.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The service bulletin indicated that photos were permitted as long as there was no flash, and as far as I could tell, everyone complied.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Flash was neither permitted nor used, neither at yesterday's taking of vows nor at today's ordination. I sat in the back and took photos quite discretely. Some people toward the front were aiming their phones at the action, but to repeat, there was no flash. The video feed was also done completely surreptitiously -- I didn't see the cameras and had no idea where they might have been.

--------------------

koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Hart. May you be blessed and be a blessing to others.
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us, Mamacita and Miss Amanda. They are a blessing to those of us who couldn't be there!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful photos of what looked like a very lovely service! Blessings and many congratulations, Hart, from across the Pond.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Just saw the official diaconate ordination pics. Kvelling all over again.

I have to tell y'all, Mamacita and I kept looking at each other over and over again Saturday afternoon and sighing, "what a wonderful day this has been!" The service was full of joy and reverence and communal love.Hart was absolutely blissful and I feel so lucky to have been sitting at Pew 2 to witness the joy on his face.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us, Mamacita and Miss Amanda. They are a blessing to those of us who couldn't be there!

We were thinking of you. At the profession of vows, the organist played a Bach fugue that had Miss Amanda as close to dancing in the aisle as she's ever been! Absolutely brilliant!

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear]

My heart was there with you and Hart!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm coming late to this. Congratulations and all best wishes. I look forward to the report.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JB and I have more photos, and I've processes mine, but JB has to do his and write our MW.

It was one great weekend for all of us. The seminarians and priests were wonderful to us, and the food was excellent. Along with the solemnity, there was such a joyous aura about the place. Also, the basilica and campus is extraordinarily beautiful. How could we go wrong? Hart has lots of friends on campus, who think he is one great guy. He is such a special person.

Shipmates, you missed a good time.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been an amazingly, exhilarating weekend for me! The physical and/or spiritual presence of so many shipmates was a wonderful part of it -- thank you all so much for your support! Photos and video are now up.

Saturday was a beautiful feeling of settling down, of committing to this particular part of God's pilgrimage, freeing my eyes from the work of looking side to side to concentrate more fully on being led forward in this band. Looking around the basilica in the moments after professing vows, it occurred to me: I have a new relationship to this space now. It, and the men filling it, compose my home in a new way. Sunday was then a day full of newness: the settling down of Saturday freed me to take that first step forward in this new stage of the pilgrimage. And now: there's a Word to preach, dead to bury and little pagan babies to baptize (and a parish chili cook-off to win). It feels very right.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally got the pictures from Hart's Final Vows ready.

There were shipmates in attendance.

Here's the entire set.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

The MW reports have been posted.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. I can't find it. But I'll look forward to it in due course.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Sorry. I can't find it. But I'll look forward to it in due course.

There you go.

(Also flagged up on the Mystery Worshipper homepage)

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Thank you. Still can't see it on the MW homepage. But a lovely account.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

You may have to reload the page, depending on what browser you're using and how it's configured.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I have switched off and re started since I last looked, and it's still not on the MW homepage. Neither is anything else for this week. I'm sure it appear in due course and meantime I've read the account of Hart's vows.

Then he had another service the next day of diaconal ordination in the chapel, rather than the basilica?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Your browser is probably retaining cached pages. Turning the computer on/off will not clear the cache. Only reloading the page will clear the cache -- or clearing it manually via the utilities provided with the browser.

Not sure which browser you're using, but for IE it's Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete. For Google Chrome it's Tools > History > Clear. For Mozilla Firefox it's History > Clear Recent History. In each case you must be sure that the cache, or temporary files, are selected to be cleared.

There were three services in all: a Lucernarium (essentially a modified version of compline) Friday evening, the profession of vows Saturday, and the ordination Sunday. Each has its own MW report.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Miss Amanda said. Since, in the nature of things, I visit the SoF regularly, I always hit the refresh button to ensure I'm seeing the latest version. I wouldn't be ruled by what your browser thinks is the refresh schedule - which will be specified somewhere in the settings, in any case, and which you can change to 'every time'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

It's up and running now. As someone interested in Orthodox liturgy, I was pleased to see a Lucernarium as part of the proceedings.

The light is blessed at every Orthodox Vespers and is often potentially part of the C of E modern Evening Prayer, but I've hardly ever heard of it being celebrated on a large scale as here. I'd have been more enthusiastic than the Mystery Worshipper, quite apart from wishing hart the best.

Does CSC celebrate a Lucernarium often?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you to all 3 Mystery Worshippers. A dozen or so years ago, a very dear friend of ours was ordained as an Anglican priest and we felt very honoured to be present. Sadly, she was killed in a tragic car accident only 6 months later and reading these reports brought back both happy and sad memories - we both ended up with tears of grief and joy in our eyes. And further prayers for you, Hart.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely accounts from the 3 Mystery Worshippers, and it sounds like a wonderfully emotional, not to say exhausting, weekend! Best wishes and prayers for you, Hart.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

And if CSC keeps today as their patronal feast (Our Lady of Sorrows?) best wishes to hart and his brethren for today.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016