homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lifestyle changes

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lifestyle changes
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought you might all have been wondering where I’ve been recently so I’ve jotted down a few lines. I’m sure some of the more sensitive or easily-offended amongst you will take exception to my little story, especially as it includes elements of capitalist greed and slight sexist stereotyping, so I’ve posted it in Hell to save time later.

I’ve resigned from my business. I am no longer a director of the company that I and a couple of other friends set up about five years ago.

Much as I like America I was getting tired of travelling there and to have stayed on would probably have meant emigrating there to have been able to expand the business further. I didn’t want that so I’ve resigned. I’m staying involved as a non-executive director for a little while to ensure there is a smooth transition and the former finance director is replacing me as CEO. She’ll do a wonderful job and is naturally (a) tight-fisted and (b) very well organised.

I’ve sold some of my shareholding but retained a good part of it because if it grows as expected, in a few years I might be able to sell them to make some big money. But in the meantime I need to work, so I’ve gone back to my former job as a contract Systems Analyst and I’m now working for a large UK bank. Ironically it’s one of the banks owned by the Government, so I guess I’m being paid by taxpayers! It feels so wrong but avoiding taxes by fiddling the IR35 rules as much as possible helps with the unclean feeling. But I’m busy, busy, busy and unfortunately I’ve not been able to spend as much time with you all as I have done in the past. Shame.

And I’ve just been on holiday to Spain with no internet connection, of which more in the TICTH thread.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Welcome to the UK civil service!
2) That wasn't very Hellish. Yet.

(btw, best wishes avoiding the stupid IR35 tax rules, which only benefit the big software firms. That's worth a CTH.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sell some more shares and buy me a motorbike capitalist scum.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I thought you might all have been wondering where I’ve been recently

Nope.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Temporarily locked for consultation.

orfeo
Hellhost

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HELL THREAD WATCH, with your Host orfeo

The results are now back from the lab. As we suspected, this is not a Hell thread. It has merely had a thin Hellish patina applied over the top and is actually an All Saints thread being passed off as Hellish to attract unwary posters.

Folks, we can't emphasise this enough: be careful out there. There are lots of dodgy characters in the marketplace, trying to part you from your hard-earned posts with these sorts of counterfeit threads. While this mightn't have been a great job - some of the Hellishness would rub off on your fingers as soon you touched this thing - there are some far more sophisticated operators out there who set up much more elaborate cons. Don't post until you're sure, and if in doubt consult a professional.

orfeo
Hellhost

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure I fully get the joke but rereading the OP and the replies its hilarious.
Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even we All Saints hosts appreciate an occasional chew toy, Orfeo. Ta muchly.

Campbellite
All Saints Host

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh just give it time. It will return to Hell I'm sure.

I'm just waiting for Ken to post or one of the more "sensitive" ladies of the ship who will take me to task for the hint of sexism.

But as I'm here in the heady heights of All Saints and I think this is my first post here, may I say hello and God bless you.

[ 23. August 2013, 21:22: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Deano, I'm fairly new here and I dont think we've met. I greatly enjoyed the humour of your opening post and look forward to some interesting conversations with you.
WLTB

Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's a "no" then?

Fly Safe Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deano @

If you insist on using that offensive and digustingly sexist word 'ladies' then I guess we will be returning to Hell.

In the meantime may God Bless your good capitalist self also . [Angel]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something wrong with the word "ladies" now?

DAMNATION, this Politically correct stuff has gone TOO FAR NOW! [Mad]

Proud to be a LADY and politically incorrect! [Eek!]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, "I'm a lady" seemed to work for that character in Little Britain. Sometimes, anyway.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016