homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trepidation before first mass?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trepidation before first mass?
hugorune
Apprentice
# 17793

- Posted      Profile for hugorune     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About a month ago, I had a sort of 'road to Damascus' moment, following twenty years of confusion and loss of faith, where a sort of flood of certainty consumed my mind, and I knew God was calling me back to follow Him once more (after I was brought up in a Reformed tradition, and confessed my faith, but ultimately walked away from it for a number of reasons). As much as it was a conviction of the mind that was, in some ways, just putting the pieces together that had been building over the last ten years, it was also an emotional experience and it's a little bit awkward trying to explain it - I think most people would think I'm mad.

I commenced a process of working out where I should be worshipping, and I've concluded that the Anglo-Catholic tradition is the right one for me. Discussion with a priest confirmed that they are happy for me to take communion. My first mass will be tomorrow - but I'm wondering if it would be better for me to go up and receive a blessing instead. I understand the significance of the sacrament, but there are two reasons I feel a little bit of trepidation about it (Nerves are not quite the right word). The first reason is that I'm overwhelmed by my guilt for initially turning away from God, and I am not sure that I am worthy of receiving the sacrament (Technically, none of us are, but I feel I have reason to feel more unworthy than most) - secondly, I fear I will be overcome with emotion, and I'm not sure how I can prepare for that.

Does anyone understand where I'm coming from and/or have any advice?

Edit - obviously, giving blessings is something this church will do if desired. I only started thinking about it today.

[ 26. September 2013, 08:35: Message edited by: hugorune ]

--------------------
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity

Posts: 47 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you are unsure then a blessing is a good way to go. It might be an idea to have another chat with the priest.

If you are worried about emotions, then a quiet mid week service might be the place to start.

I wish you well.

[ 26. September 2013, 08:38: Message edited by: Anglo Catholic Relict ]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this Love bade me welcome

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
hugorune
Apprentice
# 17793

- Posted      Profile for hugorune     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Thyme. I started crying after I read that - perhaps it helps to get some of that out before the service tomorrow morning.

My grandmother died only this Monday... I know she was a faithful Christian who was praying for me for the last two decades. It was, on top of what I have gone through in my heart mind and soul these past couple of weeks, something that touched me deeply.

I will take the sacrament, unworthy as I am, and say a prayer for her.

--------------------
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Believe it or not it is a hangover from your Reformed upbringing. For those who are more "Catholic" and pride themselves on the seriousness they take the sacrament, let me assure you compared to the heights the Reformed tradition has at times gone to, you are beginners.

There is a story told of during the days of Communion Seasons, when the customary preparation was: visit from your elder who'd check your religious state and issue you with a communion token, attendance at special services (held in a tent) every day and fasting during the week only to be met by a list of sins that excluded you from the table at Communion.

The main character is a faithful elderly woman, who having gone through that still doubted that she was fit to take.

The minister on seeing her trepidation said "Take it woman, take it. He died for such as you."

The practice has largely gone, but a shadow memory of this survives in the Reformed tradition and stops people from coming to communion because they do not feel worthy of it. We forget that nobody is ever worthy, and though we should be reverent towards communion, trying to be worthy is actually a matter of pride. Christ's grace will more than cover our failings.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hugorune:
My grandmother died only this Monday... I know she was a faithful Christian who was praying for me for the last two decades. It was, on top of what I have gone through in my heart mind and soul these past couple of weeks, something that touched me deeply.

I will take the sacrament, unworthy as I am, and say a prayer for her.

It sounds a perfect way to honour her memory and her love and prayers for you. If you do get emotional you can always blame it on your grief for her, she won't mind. Trust me on this, I am a granny.
[Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
aig
Shipmate
# 429

- Posted      Profile for aig     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be way beyond your comfort zone - but have you considered making a formal confession beforehand - if that is something the clergy are happy to do with you. My own experience is that the sacrament of reconciliation was very powerful in a very similar situation (although it was part of my own tradition).

--------------------
That's not how we do it here.......

Posts: 464 | From: the middle bit at the bottom slightly to the right | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a prayer I used to use before receiving Communion. I said it in German, but here is the English meaning.
quote:
Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof, but say only one word, and my soul shall be healthy.
I've stopped saying that because God and I both know that I'm not worthy, and that he can make me worthy. I don't need to keep saying it. The point of Communion is that God wants to feed me, and I want to be fed.

I pray that your uncertainties will be resolved.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the rite follows most Anglican traditions, there should be a general confession and absolution before you go up to receive Communion anyway - is that of any help?

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it gives you comfort and spiritual uplift.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a story that an artist - I forget whether it was Blake or Turner - was approached by a young man who wanted to become the artist's student.

"How do you approach painting?" asked the artist.

"With fear and trembling," said the young man.

"Then you'll do."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There is a prayer I used to use before receiving Communion. I said it in German, but here is the English meaning. [QUOTE]Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof, but say only one word, and my soul shall be healthy.

I learned this in Latin, pre-Vatican II. "Domine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic vergo et sanabitur anima mea."

Although the original prayer was said aloud only by the celebrant just prior to receiving the Host, I still say it to myself three times silently, usually to the accompaniment of three sets of tinkling bells. I also strike my breast (discreetly; this IS the Episcopal Church after all) at each repetition.

My version is slightly different from yours, Moo.:

quote:
Lord, I am not worthy to come unto your roof. Only say the word and my soul will be healed.
Moo, you write ...
quote:
I've stopped saying that because God and I both know that I'm not worthy, and that he can make me worthy. I don't need to keep saying it. The point of Communion is that God wants to feed me, and I want to be fed.

You make me ask myself: why do I still say this? I think the answer is that I do NOT always know or feel that I am "not worthy" and need to remind myself. I feel strangely relieved by this ritual , just as one sometimes feels after a sincere confession and absolution, even when the sins confessed were not all that bad.

All best wishes, hugorune, for what will be your First Communion. I hope it brings to you a real sense of God's grace and love, on which you can build your own individual Christian life.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
sed tantum dic vergo et sanabitur anima mea."

I'm afraid you're asking God to do something quite different from what you intended . . . which surely was "sed tantum dic verbum et sanabitur anima mea."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugorune, you are right when you say none of us are worthy of receiving the Sacrament. There are no degrees of unworthiness, though. It's binary.

The Orthodox Divine Liturgy makes it clear that the only thing that makes us "worthy" is the Sacrament itself. Before we commune, we pray, "make us worthy" several times. Afterwords we thank God for making us worthy. Then of course we go out and sully ourselves again, but that's not the Sacrament's fault.

If it helps you at all, there is a string of prayers that the Orthodox pray (or should pray) before every time they take Communion to prepare themselves. You might like to use one or more of them, or not; whatever seems best to you. Most of them are very old and have "stood the test of time" as it were. The last one is said by all, in unison, as a sort of "general confession" during the service itself.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I'm afraid you're asking God to do something quite different from what you intended . . . which surely was "sed tantum dic verbum et sanabitur anima mea." [/QB]

Ah! It reminds me never to rely on decades-old auditory memories. Thanks for the correction, Ms. Reckondwythe. My own text, which I've just checked, has it as: "sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea"

From where did I ever get "vergo"? A dim, incorrectly pronounced memory of "virgo," which featured so prominently in the Tridentine mass?

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My own text, which I've just checked, has it as: "sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea"

Verbo it is. The explanation given here is instructive if a bit pedantic. Basically, St. Jerome in the Vulgate used the ablative of means (verbo), rather than the more expected accusative direct object (verbum), to imply that God's word is the means by which the soul will be healed.

So the corresponding English translation would read: Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. But only speak, and by your word my soul shall be healed.

The RC novus ordo mass has the people say, just before communion (or did have them say -- I don't know what the new translation has): "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."

Not quite as satisfying as one-on-one confession to a priest who really understands the sacrament of reconciliation, but probably just as effective.

[ 26. September 2013, 19:12: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In case anyone is interested, here is the German
quote:
Herr, ich bin es nicht wert, dass Du unter meinen Dach kommst, aber sag nur ein Wort, so wird meine Seele gesund
I like the German because what is translated as 'worthy' can also mean 'worth it'. That has given me food for meditation.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
My own text, which I've just checked, has it as: "sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea"

Verbo it is. The explanation given here is instructive if a bit pedantic. Basically, St. Jerome in the Vulgate used the ablative of means (verbo), rather than the more expected accusative direct object (verbum), to imply that God's word is the means by which the soul will be healed.
And he's translating a Greek dative:

ἀλλὰ μόνον εἰπὲ λόγῳ

Now, in Greek it's arguable whether it's instrumental or just pleonastic...

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
hugorune
Apprentice
# 17793

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof, but say only one word, and my soul shall be healthy.

That same prayer is in the liturgy we used this morning.

quote:

I pray that your uncertainties will be resolved.
Moo [/QB]

Thank you for that. God helped me across that boundary this morning and I am at peace with it - the ritual was not very different, at least in terms of the words, with what I did in the past. Some of the actions, such as the genuflection and the sign of the cross, are new to me.

I did also feel slightly self-conscious about stumbling through the liturgy of the service (While I had a printout of the mass service, the pacing and order weren't always what I expected), but the handful of other people there were very understanding about it.

[ 26. September 2013, 23:46: Message edited by: hugorune ]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did also feel slightly self-conscious about stumbling through the liturgy of the service (While I had a printout of the mass service, the pacing and order weren't always what I expected), but the handful of other people there were very understanding about it.

Remember that you are never alone at Mass. Those same prayers have been prayed by countless people before you, are prayed with you, and will undoubtedly be prayed after you. It is no great leap to acknowledge that those prayers are prayed for you, too, especially in those moments when, for whatever reason, you find it difficult to do so yourself. Stick with it. Just be there and absorb it all. The words and the order will grow on you.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, yeah, I'm pretty sure they've all been in your place before. At my current shack sometimes the deacon will get up and say something along the lines of, "If you're not familiar with the liturgy, don't worry about getting it wrong, just let us carry you along."

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Hugorune,

I am not so sure what your Anglo-Catholic parish practices in way of repentance and penance. Does the pastor require you to be absolved in confession before you are "worthy" to partake of the Body and Blood of Christ? If so, confess to your brother (or sister, as the case may be) and go forward for the holy gifts. If no such thing is required, be earnest in your repentant prayer to God, beg forgiveness from the loving and merciful Saviour, and approach the Altar of the Lord.

Either way, He is calling for you and inviting you to His Table. Remember that the Lord dwelt and ate with sinners during His time on Earth. His ministry as the divine physician is to those who are sick, not those who think themselves well. You know you have sinned, and you have been drawn back to the throne of grace - the overflowing well of salvation! Thank Christ, and move on up to that communion rail! That is what "Eucharist" means: thanksgiving. Repent well, as you have already done, and then give thanks for the sacrifice of God upon the Cross.

You are risen with Him in Baptism. Do not be afraid. Your guardian angel is with you. The Lord God Almighty Himself is shepherding you to green pastures. Move your butt! [Smile]

[ 29. September 2013, 07:38: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------
Des Christen Herz auf Rosen geht, wenn's mitten unterm Kreuze steht.

Feel free to visit the Anglican Forums: http://forums.anglican.net/

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's the point - it's a service of the faithful community. Others are happy to help those unfamiliar with the liturgy and liturgical practices (at least at our place they are) and you should accept their service with thanks.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo, just a question but is the German form of the Lord,I am not worthy ... a Lutheran form of the prayer ?
The usual Catholic form for the translation of ';Domine,non sum dignus....' was,at least in Austria
O Herr,ich bin nicht wuerdig,dass Du eingehst unter mein Dach,aber sprich nur ein Wort und meine Seele wird gesund.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Moo, just a question but is the German form of the Lord,I am not worthy ... a Lutheran form of the prayer ?

I really don't know. I can't recall where I learned it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016