homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Visiting Edinburgh

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Visiting Edinburgh
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by the Rome thread, I wonder if Edinburgh afficianados would share their hints, tips, advice, etc, about visiting the Scottish capital for a long weekend in June/July. Mrs Thurible has requested a long weekend away for her birthday. We know there's a castle; we know there's the Parliament. What else is there?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glasgow, only an hour away... [Two face]

Holyrood House, garden and Abbey ruins, various Georgian Houses etc to visit if you're into that sort of thing, art gallery(ies?, ditto), a walk up Arthur's Seat, bus down to Leith and then the Royal Yacht Britannia, shipmates if you fancy a shipmeet.... what else could you want/need?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And wonderful restaurants without number. The Portrait Gallery, National Museum of Scotland... Pick your poison and enjoy. Embra's got it all.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Including very cold winds.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simply walking the Royal Mile (Parliament to Castle) is wonderful. You pass all manner of interesting buildings and opportunities to eat / drink.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never too early to sort your accommodation. June/July is not quite main Festival/Fringe (when the population doubles) but it is getting there (see below). Also, where you stay can impact on how easy it is to get to enjoyable stuff, have good eateries in easy reach etc. Advice available, btw.

You might want to check out the cultural stuff.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of my favourite places in Edinburgh ... and they are all free!

The Manfield Traquair Centre, sometimes called 'Scotland's Sistine Chapel'. It is a former Catholic Apostolic Church, and the walls are covered in murals by Phoebe Anna Traquair, one of the foremost artists of the Arts and Crafts movement. The centre is only open on the second Sunday of each month, but you can arrange for a private tour at other times, probably for a donation. Seriously worth it.

The Scottish Writers' Museum, in Lady Stair's house, tucked into a close just off the Lawnmarket. It has excellent exhibitions on Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Louis Stevenson - but I find that the real fascination is the house itself, which is a well preserved example of how the wealthy lived before the New Town was built.

The Dome bar and restaurant on George Street. It used to be a bank, and the interior is stunning. Have a meal there, or afternoon tea, or just a drink. Dress up!

St Giles Cathedral is free. Chat to the very informative guides, and you might get a tour from them. Other churches worth visiting are Greyfriars Tolbooth & Highland Church - very historic, a fascinating graveyard, and home of Greyfriars' Bobby; and the Canongate Church near Holyrood Palace. This is the Queen's church when she is in residence. Also pop into the St Albert the Great Catholic Chaplaincy at the University iin George Square - it is a beautiful and sympathetic modern building.

Escape the crowds by wandering down to Dean Village - possibly the most picturesque corner of Edinburgh. Then walk along the Water of Leith to elegant, upmarket Stockbridge, with its many restaurants and beautiful Georgian streets and famous 'colonies'. From there it is a short walk to the Botanic Gardens, which is a lovely place for a wander and a picnic.

If you are feeling fit, climb Arthur's Seat for the amazing views. More accessible is Calton Hill, which has equally good views and plenty to explore when you're up there.

It's a great city. I love it to pieces.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing. We must firm up a date so that I can book the accommodation.

Any recommendations for cheap but not skanky accommodation? A basic hotel is probably the sort of thing we'll be able to stretch to.

Thurible

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing. We must firm up a date so that I can book the accommodation.

Any recommendations for cheap but not skanky accommodation? A basic hotel is probably the sort of thing we'll be able to stretch to.

Thurible

There are quite a few very central Travelodges: St Mary's Street, Waterloo Place, Princes Street, Rose Street, and Queen Street are all excellent locations. Have a hunt around their website. There is also a Holiday Inn on the Cowgate.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And if you're looking for a Church, Old St Pauls might work for you. Or St Michael & all Angels Tollcross, (which I think I've heard referred to as Smoky Mike's...)

[ 03. October 2013, 09:59: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
And if you're looking for a Church, Old St Pauls might work for you. Or St Michael & all Angels Tollcross, (which I think I've heard referred to as Smoky Mike's...)

Spiky Mike's! [Big Grin]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I knew it was something like that - thanks Cottontail. [Big Grin]
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can definitely recommend a walk along the Water of Leith, either starting or finishing at the Dean village - rus in urbs, innit. My favourite city centre pubs (principal criterion: excellent beer) are Sandy Bell's (regulars gather almost every evening to jam some folk on fiddles, etc.), the Bow Bar, the Blue Blazer - all within a 10 minute stagger of one another. Good beer and cheap and filling food (as well as art films) are also to be had in the cafe of the Filmhouse.

Personal loyalty as well as professional judgement lead me to suggest a visit to Gladstone's Land and (especially) Newhailes - both amazing and very differently conserved historic dwellings.

Sorry to have been too lazy to link to any these things. [Hot and Hormonal] Let me know if you have any difficulty in finding them.

If you don't absolutley love Edinburgh, I'll cheerfully stand you both a pint before you leave - and, heck, even if you do! More recommendations to follow as they occur to me...

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents stayed in the Rose Street Travelodge last month and were happy with it, though there was no view from the window. It's very central, and Rose Street is pleasant.

One of my favourite Edinburgh treats is a pot of tea and a piece of shortbread in Jenner's tea room, with a glorious view of the Scott monument.

There's the pandas at the zoo, but the zoo is really a "whole day" thing, so I don't recommend that, if you've only got a weekend.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Are you arriving by train, or driving? Because if you're driving, the Edinburgh shipmates will probably need to give you some hints and tips.

Personally, I always go by train; Waverley is central, and there's a huge amount of Edinburgh fitted into quite a small area; it's very strollable.

[ 03. October 2013, 13:43: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you like going for a walk, the Meadows is (are?) flat, Arthur's Seat is not, but worth it for the views from the top.

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, meant to mention the Botanic Gardens as well.

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did a walk around under the old underground vaults and various other points in the Royal Mile. It was less cheesey than I expected and I'd definitely recommend it.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this Novotel in your price range?

It's very well situated for access to the Old Town, Museum of Scotland, Meadows, Grassmarket, all the pubs mentioned above (+ The Doctors), lots of places to eat (and it being the university quarter, many not too expensive), Royal Mile, Lyceum Theatre, Usher Hall, Traverse and bus routes to other parts of town.

I would avoid hotels at the west end, Haymarket or Fountainbridge. Too much office build/featureless conference and leisure centres/ urban motorway. Go central or south side.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I have close family in Edinburgh, we very rarely end up doing the Tourist Bit, which is probably a shame, as there's so much to see. Having said that, we usually eat out somewhere with the mob when we're there (last time was at the Olive Branch, which was lovely.

As Pete said, you're absolutely spoilt for choice when it comes to eateries.

Hope you have a great time - I think we need an "envy" button!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
Can definitely recommend a walk along the Water of Leith, either starting or finishing at the Dean village - rus in urbs, innit. My favourite city centre pubs (principal criterion: excellent beer) are Sandy Bell's (regulars gather almost every evening to jam some folk on fiddles, etc.), the Bow Bar, the Blue Blazer - all within a 10 minute stagger of one another. Good beer and cheap and filling food (as well as art films) are also to be had in the cafe of the Filmhouse.

Personal loyalty as well as professional judgement lead me to suggest a visit to Gladstone's Land and (especially) Newhailes - both amazing and very differently conserved historic dwellings.

Sorry to have been too lazy to link to any these things. [Hot and Hormonal] Let me know if you have any difficulty in finding them.

If you don't absolutley love Edinburgh, I'll cheerfully stand you both a pint before you leave - and, heck, even if you do! More recommendations to follow as they occur to me...

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Travelodge in Dean Village - adequate if not exciting, yet that is what Travelodges are like - but it was next to the Water of Leith, and I can certainly endorse CB's recommendation of a walk along it.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking from experience of visiting in the summer - book online for anything you really want to do as time slots fill up very quickly, especially for some of the underground tours. And it is also worth noting that if you wish to visit the pandas you also have to book in advance.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
A couple of years ago we stayed at the Travelodge in Dean Village - adequate if not exciting, yet that is what Travelodges are like - but it was next to the Water of Leith, and I can certainly endorse CB's recommendation of a walk along it.

Ages since I stayed there (before I came to live in Edinburgh) but I can second this recommendation as being affordable, comfortable and excellently situated (right on the Water of Leith) - although it's now under new owners so best check their rates. It's a minute's walk from the two modern art galleries, tucked in a quiet bit of the west end. No direct buses into the more central bit of the old and new towns, but 15 mins stroll from both so where's the need?

[ETA: also only 5 mins from the Piskie Cathedral - and 2 mins from the city's only (non-SSPX) Trid Mass (11.30 Missa Cantata at St. Andrew's, Ravelston) [Biased] ]

[ 03. October 2013, 22:33: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forget which Travelodge I stayed in (Firenze can tell you), but I stay in Travelodges when possible. Very reasonable prices.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Yes, I was thinking of Travelodges - would St Mary's Street be a good place to base ourselves? What about Learmonth Terrace?

I'm assuming we shouldn't bother considering Musselburgh! In fact, looking more closely, that's at a service station. As we won't be driving, that wouldn't work.

Regarding transport, we were thinking of the train but I'm now wondering about the Megabus sleeper. I know how to treat a girl!

Thurible

[ 04. October 2013, 08:41: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The Travelodge Pete stayed at was the one at Cameron Toll.

It is a couple of miles from the city centre, but on a principal bus route, so easy access. It is in an area of established by prospering Edinburghers in the 19th C - big, stone-built houses with gardens. So pleasant, safe, leafy. Big shopping mall across the road.

St Mary's St goes down off the Royal Mile (the 'down' bit was the counter-indication for Pete) so you are bang in the middle of the huddled tenements and closes of the Old Town. If you are ok with a bit of uphill walking, it is very central esp for Holyrood Palace, St Giles and the Castle. Public transport - one or two buses routes up the Mile or Holyrood Rd.

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago at that time of year I stayed at the Grassmarket Hotel, which as its name suggests, is right on the Grassmarket Square - fantastic location. Simple, but an amazing Full Scottish breakfast in the pub in the morning. Cheaper than the Novotel, more expensive than a Travelodge, but much more fun. And do organise a Shipmeet in advance! On which note, I shall be there the first three days of November - any takers for a Meet?
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And regarding transport - the East Coast train from the South gives you amazing views as you go through York, Durham and Newcastle. And you can take a day trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow on the train - even just an evening trip as the days are very long up there at that time of year - so do!
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how the Edinburgh transport system is coming along? Last time I visited the trams still weren't finished and there also appeared to be a plan to take a new railway down to the south out of Edinburgh.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also like visiting Edinburgh, as we have friends and family there. I like walking up the big hill and seeing lots looking own.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Does anyone know how the Edinburgh transport system is coming along? Last time I visited the trams still weren't finished and there also appeared to be a plan to take a new railway down to the south out of Edinburgh.

The trams still aren't finished. The Edinburgh bus system is pretty good outside the centre of town. In the centre of town buses get rerouted to avoid the latest piece of tram works so often that it's potluck whether the bus you want goes along any given street.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
And regarding transport - the East Coast train from the South gives you amazing views as you go through York, Durham and Newcastle. And you can take a day trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow on the train - even just an evening trip as the days are very long up there at that time of year - so do!

Yes, I read for my degree in Durham and the train journey was a definite bonus.

I don't imagine we'll visit Glasgow this time but, as my mother's family is from there, I must go at some point!

Thurible

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the Premier Inn at Lauriston?
Prices reasonable,just round the corner from the Jesuit church of the Saucred Heart,5 mins walk to the A-c church of St Michael's,just underneath the Castle (7 mins walk uphill)

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Both establishments have lovely choirs, although July is usually a holiday as we (ahem) gear up for festival masses.

[ 08. October 2013, 19:55: Message edited by: Mad Cat ]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016