homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Thanksgiving weekend Canada!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Thanksgiving weekend Canada!
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanksgiving is here. We're adding a day and have 4 days away starting tomorrow. I am thankful to have decent fall weather, around 0°C at night and +7 to 12°C during days. We will be out at our cabin watching the geese and ducks gather for their trip south. The menu differs this year, all on the barbeque. We're making turkey breast roll-ups, squash with cumin and lime, sweet potato with walnuts, maple and jalapeño, grilled bok choy with goat cheese, and I will make bread and buns, and the only non-barbequed thing, pumpkin pie, but we're making it with whisky. [Yipee] We have a line on some mighty fine shisliki and perogies on the way out tomorrow (marinated lamb and Ukrainian ravioli like things).

Thankful to have one of our kids and partner with us, thankful that then other one is safely in London with her's and will have Thanksgiving with a couple from Ontario. Thankful that we now have a cellular tower near the cabin so can skype with them.

Everyone who is celebrating Thanksgiving, travel safely and have a good one!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're not going any further than along the road and round a few corners: a couple in the choir have invited us and several others for turkey-and-all-the-trimmings on Monday. It makes sense - it's too much of a faff in between singing the morning and evening services on Sunday, and much nicer to have a nice, relaxing late afternoon/evening on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and safe travelling to those who are going anywhere.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if it's okay to celebrate both Canadian Thanksgiving and US Thanksgiving? I luurrrrve turkey and the whole groaning table. [Biased]

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to our friends up north. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going away for the weekend. But if I were to be home the meal would include salmon in coconut fish gravy, wild rice and vegetables. And possibly a cauliflower soup if there's any around, still.

Most people have their meal on the Sunday, especially if they have visitors arriving and departing, but the actual day is Monday, and piglet and her band of merry choristers are quite correct to have it on that day. You just have to waddle through Tuesday at work, though.

When I was a child, Thanksgiving lasted the whole week. Or at least the turkey did, in various guises. Probably one of the reasons I don't do turkey any more.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We usually do both, here, but I'm traveling so won't be home to do a big cook-up.

also won't be here to deal with the influx of partying Yukoners! [Big Grin]

yay!

I hope it is a blessed day for you all.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Thanksgiving to my Northern neighbors! [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The boards groaned here [Smile] although I missed some aspects of preparation. I was rear-ended a few days ago and have entered the wonderful world of back pain. Ice, meds, physio [Frown]

What "made" Thanksgiving, even more than the traditional (and may I say, superbly executed) menu was the collected kids' improvised Turkey Dance and Thanksgiving Song. Hilarious and sweet.

Happy Thanksgiving, mes amis/my friends!

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
14 around a rather-too-small table yesterday, with thanksgiving also for two birthdays on that day (a First and a Twenty-Third) which led to a surfeit of cakes, in addition to the roasted duck and chicken offerings, and three different forms of dressing.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love cake! A very quiet Thanksgiving here with lots of cooking but for the freezer rather than for a crowd. Sometimes life just isn't quite what one expects. Had tea with a friend this morning in the hot sun though so no complaints from here.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful day here, so DH and I packed our contributions to the feast into our panniers and rode to Thanksgiving/birthday dinner. My newlywed niece baked her first cheesecake - a wonderful gingersnap spice concoction - and has officially inherited the title of Dessert Goddess.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just back from turkey-and-all-the-trimmings - good wine, good food and good company.

Now have to contemplate w*rk tomorrow ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine was paella (mushy for my dinner date, who is on chemo) but with razor clams to start and washed down with cava, and finished with peaches, all outside Barcelona with the table set in the sand at a beach café.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had turkey and all the trimmings at my father in laws on Sunday. My parents join us so there was 7 at a very small table. On the Monday, we drove up to the Fundy Trail to enjoy some hiking and the fall foliage. It was the Trail's last day before it closed for the season.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016