homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spring training is under way! Time to start the baseball thread. After all, Spring hopes are eternal!

So what will this season bring? Will the Giants repeat as champions? Will the Dodgers run out of money? Will most of the Yankees and Phillies qualify for Social Security retirement? Time will tell--it always does, the little snitch.

This year also brings another installment of the World Baseball Classic, starting in another couple weeks. Any thoughts and/or feelings about it?

And, to tidy up things from last year's thread, the Australian Baseball League concluded its season with Canberra Cavalry defeating defending champion Perth Heat. My favorites, the Sydney Blue Sox, finished in second place during the regular season, but were knocked out of the playoffs by Perth. [Disappointed]

So have it! Batter up!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you see Tim Lincecum's new haircut!!?? As they said: instead of looking 14, he now looks 12. Hope this makes a big improvement in his pitching! SF Giants forever! (SF 49ers also, but that's another thread ... )
Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've signed up for the Pittsburgh Pirates newsline, so I'll be kept abreast of all their excuses as my heroes blunder towards another ever so slightly disappointing season.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lincecum's new 'do is startling--but I like it better than the "old mop head" style he had been wearing.

SF has the burden of trying to repeat as World Series champ (in consecutive seasons I mean). That is tough to do. It hasn't happened in the past ten years. It will be extra tough this year with the Dodgers spending so much to buy a championship. LAD is now the highest spending team in MLB, leaving even the Yankees in the dust.

I still have hopes for the Pirates to put together a winning season. I really really really thought that they would do it last year--but that just added to the evidence that I cannot predict baseball worth a tinker's darn. So this year I am NOT predicting it. I am just hoping.

I also am hoping that, after last year, my Phillies will have a bit of a fire under them to compete this year. Honestly, to do that I think we need some of our youngsters to surprise people and put up big numbers. Our old guys are, well, old. When you start having four or five starters talking about how they want to end their careers with the Phils, it is not a good sign...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Hedgehog about repeating. I think the Giants will have another playoff season, but last year's WS win happened in most unlikely fashion any way.

Too early to pick winners really, but my gut feel is that the WS winner this year will come from the AL, much as it pains me to say that.

Lincecum's hair. Definitely a better look. I hope his pitching is better too.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toronto as a city is excited about the Jays for the first time in 20 years.

We'll see what happens.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedgehog, perfect title! I was trying to think of one when the old thread was closed.

Oh, Timmy. I am highly ironically amused that a _man's_ new hair-do is a topic of "news". I like the riot nrrd look much, much, much better than Stoner Boy, but I don't give a damn if he's pitching well.

Around here, we are hoping that the A's and Giants have successful seasons again this year and are ready to PLAY BALL! My folks couldn't get in the places they usually stay when they go to the Cactus League, so they aren't going. That's a bandwagon, folks! Although I'm grumpy that Brandon McCarthy got traded. Besides mad skillz and a great story, he and his lovely and witty wife Amanda give some of the best Twitter around.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lets go Phillies!

Please, please do not do a repeat of last year!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I hope so too, ChaliceGirl. But the Phils have a big mountain to climb. I have been reviewing the predictions from various experts and/or knowledgable sorts. There is little agreement on anything with respect to this coming season--with the exception of the NL East. So help me, everybody is predicting the same thing: Nationals take 1st; Braves 2nd; Phillies 3rd--and then the Mets a distant 4th, followed by the Marlins in last.

As always, avoiding injury is key but, when you have older players, injuries are more common. For all practical purposes, we have been waiting for both Chase Utley and Ryan Howard to "come back" from injury for over a year now and I think that they are key to the team making any sort of run for the playoffs.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The World Baseball Classic is about to kick off. The first games are:

Australia v. Chinese Taipei
Japan v. Brazil
Korea v. Netherlands

I know I stink at predictions, but I can't resist. I give Australia the edge in its game. Defending Champion Japan will not have too much trouble with Brazil. The last game is tough, but I think I favor Korea over Netherlands.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interested in how my Astros do in a new league. Couldn't do much worse and I might get to see them come through Minneapolis.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I hope so too, ChaliceGirl. But the Phils have a big mountain to climb. I have been reviewing the predictions from various experts and/or knowledgable sorts. There is little agreement on anything with respect to this coming season--with the exception of the NL East. So help me, everybody is predicting the same thing: Nationals take 1st; Braves 2nd; Phillies 3rd--and then the Mets a distant 4th, followed by the Marlins in last.

As always, avoiding injury is key but, when you have older players, injuries are more common. For all practical purposes, we have been waiting for both Chase Utley and Ryan Howard to "come back" from injury for over a year now and I think that they are key to the team making any sort of run for the playoffs.

I agree with you on Chase and Ryan. We can use an upgrade on the pitching staff too.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

For all practical purposes, Groups A & B of the World Baseball Classic have finished the first round (Cuba and Japan still have a game to play, but it won't affect who advances to the next round).

Out of Group A, Cuba and Japan will advance. No surprises there. Out of Group B, though, the two teams that will advance are the Netherlands and Taiwan (Chinese Taipei). South Korea is going home. That is a shock to me considering that South Korea played in the final match last time (2009). Being knocked out in the first round is quite a come-down.

Groups C & D will start play on March 7.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For all practical purposes, Groups A & B of the World Baseball Classic have finished the first round (Cuba and Japan still have a game to play, but it won't affect who advances to the next round).

Out of Group A, Cuba and Japan will advance. No surprises there. Out of Group B, though, the two teams that will advance are the Netherlands and Taiwan (Chinese Taipei). South Korea is going home. That is a shock to me considering that South Korea played in the final match last time (2009). Being knocked out in the first round is quite a come-down.

Groups C & D will start play on March 7.

I've been watching the games. It must be my spider senses that has been waking me up at 4am to watch games from Japan and Taiwan.

The Netherlands has been very surprising, putting it on both Korea and Cuba.

The Japan-CT game this morning was one of the best games I've ever seen.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Braves fan, what with me being a good Christian, and all. It bugs me that they traded my favorite player, Martin Prado.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:

That was an amazing game, right up to the last play. I really thought CT would pull it out.

In its opener, USA fell to Mexico, 5-2. Italy has already beaten Mexico and Canada. I am a little unclear about the tiebreaker format, but I think that, assuming Mexico also beats Canada (and so far in this WBC such assumptions are dangerous), the only way for USA to advance is to beat both Canada and Italy--and it has to beat Italy by at least 3 runs (I don't think the Canada score will matter as long USA wins). In other words, USA has a bit of a hill to climb just to make it to the next round.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:

That was an amazing game, right up to the last play. I really thought CT would pull it out.

In its opener, USA fell to Mexico, 5-2. Italy has already beaten Mexico and Canada. I am a little unclear about the tiebreaker format, but I think that, assuming Mexico also beats Canada (and so far in this WBC such assumptions are dangerous), the only way for USA to advance is to beat both Canada and Italy--and it has to beat Italy by at least 3 runs (I don't think the Canada score will matter as long USA wins). In other words, USA has a bit of a hill to climb just to make it to the next round.

I think the US is going to have to drill both Canada and Italy since Italy clobbered the Canadians like they did. Mexico showed up last night to tack our hides to their dugout wall and it seems we just showed up to get it over with.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Well, Mexico and Canada just had an excellent brawl. I like it when folks take their baseball seriously.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Canada's win does make the calculations simpler: if the USA can beat both Italy and Canada (by any score) they advance.

I believe Italy has advanced, no matter what. And I think Mexico is out of it, no matter what (although that depends on how the tie-breaker system works--but I think Mexico is doomed regardless).

[typo edit]

[ 09. March 2013, 23:10: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Mexico and Canada just had an excellent brawl. I like it when folks take their baseball seriously.

That was pretty spectacular. I haven't seen anything like that in a while.

To those who have seen the vid, is it just me, or did it look like the Mexican pitcher was trying to hit the batter right in the nuts with those "way inside" pitches?

I was amused by Sergio Romo in the midst trying to stop the fight by looking disapproving, at the same time I was thinking "Get out of there, you idiot, before someone punches you out!".

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:

To those who have seen the vid, is it just me, or did it look like the Mexican pitcher was trying to hit the batter right in the nuts with those "way inside" pitches?

I was amused by Sergio Romo in the midst trying to stop the fight by looking disapproving, at the same time I was thinking "Get out of there, you idiot, before someone punches you out!".

Yeah, it appears that the more money you make in pro ball the further back you stand from the brawl.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:

Yeah, it appears that the more money you make in pro ball the further back you stand from the brawl.
I rather liked what the game commentator said just as the Mexico players were pouring from the dugout. In rather a shocked voice he said: "You DON'T want to fight the hockey players!"

Another great game this morning, with the Netherlands eliminating Cuba with a walk-off sacrifice fly. So two of the last four teams are decided (Japan and the Netherlands). The final two will be determined from: Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, USA and Italy. The USA really needs to raise its game or it will never make it out of that group.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Tonight at 7 should be a great game - US vs DR.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My lovely wife and about ten of our friends shall be singing the National Anthem on Sunday: I believe it is at The Padres Spring Training Stadium. I am the designated driver and I shall be listening!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the 15th, US was battling Puerto Rico: PR were winning 4-2 when I finished my third Irish whisky at the local Knights of Columbus chapter house and my lovely bride drove me home....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Yes, U.S. fell to Puerto Rico, 4-3. That was disappointing but not completely unexpected.

However, even more shocking is that, on Sunday, Puerto Rico also defeated Japan--thereby eliminating the two-time defending champ from the tournament. The Dominican Republic will be playing the Netherlands tonight to see who will play PR for the title. Can the Netherlands continue its fairy tale run? Should we rename them Never-Never-Lands?

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

The exhibition Bay Bridge Series concluded (Thursday and Friday games when I was in church). It's beginning to look a lot like Baseball.

I guess the Stros and the Strangers have a Texan-style standoff tomorrow. Hail Thee Opening Day! The A's sold out for their home opener, yee haw!

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is going to be fraking cold this week in Minneapolis. The Twins' stadium still has some snow along the base lines!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Opening Day! Houston beat Texas last night to officially start the 2013 season. Another twelve games today, with most of them starting in the afternoon (EST). I suspect my productivity at work will take a bit of a hit today. [Smile]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

A few final scores and a couple of good games as well!

Washington beat Miami, 2-0. But both pitchers pitched well--Washington's runs came on two solo homers by Harper. Otherwise, the rest of the team could not score any more than Miami could.

The Cubs just beat the Pirates 3-1, but Pittsburgh did have the tying runs on base in the bottom of the 9th (and they have the unfortunate "honor" of being the first home team to lose this season--although the Yankees are about to join them, as they are losing to Boston 8-2 with 2 outs...oh, never mind, Game over. The Yankees lose.)

In the biggest blow-out of the year so far, the Mets dismantled San Diego 11-2.

There is a great game going on in Milwaukee (vs. Colorado). The Brewers just rallied from a 2-run deficit in the bottom of the 8th to take a 4-3 lead. They are in the top of the 9th as I type.

Out in LA, San Francisco vs. Dodgers is still in the early innings. No score yet.

Oh. My. 2 outs in the top of the 9th and Colorado just got a game-tying home run by Dexter Fowler. Excuse me. I have to listen to the rest of this game...

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

UPDATE: Brewers win 5-4 in 10 innings. Winning run driven in by a sacrifice fly. That was fun!

--------------------

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's go Tigers! Nice start, with a 3-0 lead over the Twins by the fourth inning ... but knowing this team, I'm not holding my breath. We've collapsed and lost games from stronger situations than this. Especially given that we don't have a set closing pitcher right now...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Being a good Christian, I will be supporting my beloved Braves tonight against the Philadelphia Philistines.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A few final scores and a couple of good games as well!

The Cubs just beat the Pirates 3-1, but Pittsburgh did have the tying runs on base in the bottom of the 9th (and they have the unfortunate "honor" of being the first home team to lose this season)

My first game following the Pirates, but I feel this may set a trend. Maybe I'll keep track of "Games demonstrably lost/won in the ninth".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
Let's go Tigers! Nice start, with a 3-0 lead over the Twins by the fourth inning ... but knowing this team, I'm not holding my breath. We've collapsed and lost games from stronger situations than this. Especially given that we don't have a set closing pitcher right now...

Tigers win! Although they DID make it interesting...

And, Mere Nick, the only reason I am not responding to your vile calumny is that the Phils are losing right now. It's a City of Brotherly Love thing...we keep thinking we have to let teams win their home openers.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Cubs just beat the Pirates 3-1,

and the Sox beat Kansas City 1-0. It's a good day for Chicago, whether you're a north-sider or a south-sider.

Observe this post, lest the likes of it not appear again this season.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:

Tigers win! Although they DID make it interesting...

And, Mere Nick, the only reason I am not responding to your vile calumny is that the Phils are losing right now. It's a City of Brotherly Love thing...we keep thinking we have to let teams win their home openers.

Well, one of the great things about baseball is that you just don't know. Who would have guessed that Luis Avilan would be the one to pull the Braves fat out of the fire last night?

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Well, one of the great things about baseball is that you just don't know. Who would have guessed that Luis Avilan would be the one to pull the Braves fat out of the fire last night?

I was thinking that. Cole Hamels clearly did not have his best stuff (allowing 3 homers), but Hudson wasn't exactly having a great day, either, being unable to complete 5 innings.

I am dreading tomorrow's game. Doc Halladay has been pitching poorly during Spring Training and if that keeps up, with the slugggers Atlanta has, they may need a score board that can show three-digit scores...

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, just seen Yu Darvish was one out away from a perfect game for the Rangers last night! I'm a long-distance Rangers fan so this pleases me, and Darvish's 70mph curveball is a thing of beauty. I couldn't see a great example on the clip the MLB website has of his strikeouts from yesterday's game, but look out for it when you see him pitch. /Fanboy

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Ooh, just seen Yu Darvish was one out away from a perfect game for the Rangers last night! I'm a long-distance Rangers fan so this pleases me, and Darvish's 70mph curveball is a thing of beauty. I couldn't see a great example on the clip the MLB website has of his strikeouts from yesterday's game, but look out for it when you see him pitch. /Fanboy

He seems to have had the batters' timing off all night. That's all you can ask of a pitcher. That and don't walk anyone.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
Interested in how my Astros do in a new league. Couldn't do much worse and I might get to see them come through Minneapolis.

As a Mariners fan, I'm glad to welcome the Astros to the AL West! At least we won't be in last place this season. (And in fact the M's are off to a good start so far.)

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I see that the Pirates won their first game in the Sioni Sais Era. And not just won, but shutout the Cubs and limited them to only 2 hits. Not too shabby.

As usual at the start of the year, I like to see which team stays undefeated the longest and which is unvictorious the longest. Last year was disappointing as I think every team had at least one win and one lost within the first week. This year is shaping up in much the same way. 10 teams have played 3 games, and all 10 have both won and lost games. 20 teams have only played 2 games. Of those teams, only 6 remain undefeated (2-0) and 6 unvictorious (0-2). And I suspect those numbers will trim down further after today's games.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Maybe someone else saw it and figured the guy hit the nail on the head as to why baseball is so great. I don't remember who it was or if it was on ESPN or the MLB channel because I was flipping channels. An older black guy who used to play ball, in comparing baseball with other sports, said "with baseball you just don't know". That's a true statement. How can you know? There isn't a batter-pitcher match up where the batter can't be struck out or the pitch put over the fence. What is considered the worst team can drill the best team for an entire series. It's a great game.

Anyway, Go Braves!! Up, Up and a Hey!!!

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
As usual at the start of the year, I like to see which team stays undefeated the longest and which is unvictorious the longest. Last year was disappointing as I think every team had at least one win and one lost within the first week.

And the competition is over. A mere 3 games into the season and only one team remains undefeated (Washington) and only one team unvictorious (the team that Washington was playing, Miami).

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch!

That's what I call "really raining on our parade".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Oh, that was brutal. I had to turn off the radio.

The only silver lining is that the Cards got similarly thumped the next day.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

And in "turnaround is fair play" ville, the Stros are up on the Mariners 11-0 in the third, and are no-hitting the M's (only through two innings, but still).

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The Pirates are having a nightmare against Arizona today. The Diamondbacks are ahead 10-1...in the 4th inning. Brutal.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Some early season Giants reflections.

I see Romo is 100% in saves for the Giants. The little man with the little beard is looking much more secure than the big man with the big beard. A case of "fear the (different) beard".

Early days; I'm hoping that Matt Cain won't become this year's Lincecum-like problem pitcher. And again on pitching, Zito is looking very good so far. And bat-productive too.

Speaking of which, the bats have woken up! Long may that continue.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
The Pirates are having a nightmare against Arizona today. The Diamondbacks are ahead 10-1...in the 4th inning. Brutal.

Hey! We won the rest of the game!

Not a great start, but the season is young.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016