homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Some early season Giants reflections.

I see Romo is 100% in saves for the Giants. The little man with the little beard is looking much more secure than the big man with the big beard. A case of "fear the (different) beard".

Early days; I'm hoping that Matt Cain won't become this year's Lincecum-like problem pitcher. And again on pitching, Zito is looking very good so far. And bat-productive too.

Speaking of which, the bats have woken up! Long may that continue.

Zeets has been having a great year so far. Glad his playoff momentum has continued! Definitely "from zero to hero".

We've got hot bats on both sides of the Bay! The A's announcers have been saying "Watch it fly!" a lot. I hope it continues, as well.

The big baseball news today is, of course, the major brawl last night in San Diego. Since Dodgers ace Greinke broke his collarbone in the first of the melees, he'll be out for a while. This is even bigger news locally because, of course, it may make a large difference in the division.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
The big baseball news today is, of course, the major brawl last night in San Diego. Since Dodgers ace Greinke broke his collarbone in the first of the melees, he'll be out for a while. This is even bigger news locally because, of course, it may make a large difference in the division.

Honestly, I have biding my time waiting to see if any Dodgers fans on the Ship would post about it. Bad news for them--although the speculation is that it will only keep Greinke out for 4 to 6 weeks. I find that amazingly fast, but that's what I hear.

Usually brawls look worse than they are and nobody gets hurt. But as my mother always said "it's all fun and games until somebody loses a collarbone..." It will be interesting to see what sort of punishments get handed down. Both now and next week when those two teams play again!! [Eek!]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, of course, Romo now has his first loss in after a topsy turvy 9th. Tempting fate, that was ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed it!

[Frown]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Honestly, I have biding my time waiting to see if any Dodgers fans on the Ship would post about it. Bad news for them--although the speculation is that it will only keep Greinke out for 4 to 6 weeks. I find that amazingly fast, but that's what I hear.

Usually brawls look worse than they are and nobody gets hurt. But as my mother always said "it's all fun and games until somebody loses a collarbone..." It will be interesting to see what sort of punishments get handed down. Both now and next week when those two teams play again!! [Eek!]

Greinke out up to eight weeks, Quentin eight games.

One of the articles I read remarked that bench-clearing brawls used to be far more commonplace in baseball (back in the days when it also wasn't a week in baseball if Earl Weaver didn't get ejected from at least one game) but seeing one is more unusual now. Given the $$$ most clubs are paying for talent, it's not surprising - manager, coaches, agents all working to try to calm the hotter heads; Matt Kemp, I am looking at you.

And, yeah, the Pads are in LA next week. It definitely has the possibility to get ugly, on the field and in the stands.

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

"Yo AG, your A's and Giants announcers are really great, and Imma let you finish, but I just wanted to say that Vin Scully is one the best announcers working in baseball OF ALL TIME" - with apologies to Kanye West

Seriously, the "That's fertilizer" "lipreading" that Vin did during the brawl was amazing. If anyone hasn't seen it yet (WITH Scully's commentary), go find it.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Yo AG, your A's and Giants announcers are really great, and Imma let you finish, but I just wanted to say that Vin Scully is one the best announcers working in baseball OF ALL TIME" - with apologies to Kanye West

[Killing me]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just saw "42": fantastic film! Would that our present-day Dodgers could have similar success!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from our first Twins game of the year - a balmy 32 degrees wasn't so bad when you got out of the wind. I love having an outdoor stadium, plus the Angels bit it [Smile]
Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

The Rox got their game called due to what looked like at least 6" of snow at Coors Field.

The A's played in a _lot_ of wind (v. v. gusty near the Bay, which their stadium is) and dropping temperatures, which made me think that the fans who stayed to the end deserved a decoration similar to the old Croix de Candlestick. The game went long (the A's scored _a lot_ ... it finished after 10:30 pm) and wasn't in doubt after the top of the first, so props to the fans who stayed!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Phillies have now managed to go four consecutive games without any Phillies batter drawing a walk.

According to a source of mine, since 1916, only one other team has managed to go longer than four games without a walk--the 1919-1920 Phillies (who managed to Not Walk for an amazing seven consecutive games).

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Given the $$$ most clubs are paying for talent, it's not surprising - manager, coaches, agents all working to try to calm the hotter heads;

$$$ normally does have the ability to chill someone out. Do you remember the Canada-Mexico brawl during the WBC? It was one of the better brawls I've seen and the best part was seeing Romo standing in the back with his hands in his pullover. There stood a man who knew better than to risk his $3.5 million salary.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
The Pirates are having a nightmare against Arizona today. The Diamondbacks are ahead 10-1...in the 4th inning. Brutal.

Hey! We won the rest of the game!

Not a great start, but the season is young.

Your Pirates sure spoke on the pompetus of humility to my beloved Braves.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darvish does it again - he's 4-1 on the season and hasn't conceded a run in his last 18 innings [Big Grin]

11 Ks against the Angels last night, and check out the curveballs recorded at 64mph (64! Compared to an above-90 fastball!) at 1:18 and 61mph (61!?*#) at 1:36 on the MLB recap. Darvish's final victim was Josh Hamilton, heh heh.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

I was wanting to see that curveball but the link was just to the Rangers putting 9 across in the top of the 4th.

A curveball that slows makes me think he could be working on an Eephus.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
quote:
The Pirates are having a nightmare against Arizona today. The Diamondbacks are ahead 10-1...in the 4th inning. Brutal.

Hey! We won the rest of the game!

Not a great start, but the season is young.

Your Pirates sure spoke on the pompetus of humility to my beloved Braves.
Things have improved but the next three, against St Louis matter a lot! (I think I'm getting my head round the fixture list ...)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got an email from Sky TV informing me that my sub to ESPN America ends in July (following a new deal between ESPN and British Telecom.) So baseball TV coverage in the UK is changing hands .. still looking at my options.

Not blessed!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I don't suppose Sky offers MLB Network, does it? When I travel I grumble excessively that almost no hotel that I stay in carries MLB Network.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just got an email from Sky TV informing me that my sub to ESPN America ends in July (following a new deal between ESPN and British Telecom.) So baseball TV coverage in the UK is changing hands .. still looking at my options.

Not blessed!

I suppose that means I'll get something similar from Virgin. [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

It's possible to take out an online licence from MLB for use with PC/laptop and the season cost doesn't look too high. That looks like my best option at present - might need some extra store for downloads ...

Where there's a will.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was wanting to see that curveball but the link was just to the Rangers putting 9 across in the top of the 4th.

Sorry about that, try this one instead. Still at 1:18 and 1:36.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Sorry about that, try this one instead. Still at 1:18 and 1:36.
That's a great curveball, no doubt. What surely makes it tough is that he can use it for an out pitch so when you have two on you there's no telling what he's throwing and you can't sit on a pitch.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

The Darvish curveball can be hit though, check it out (from 1:10). I don't know how, mind you; did the batter recognise the curveball wind-up or was it a lucky guess? Maybe it was so slow that he had time to swing as a second reaction, after initially leaving it!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Is that a new(ish) curveball? If so, we ought to look at how well he's doing in a month or so, when more batters will have seen faced him and seen videos.

My guess is that batters play him late, with this pitch in mind. What's his mind going to be like* if they do that all summer?

*I've seen good bowlers go to pieces in cricket when the batting community work them out. Can't run to the crease, they lose their body action. Some even lose the ability to let go of the ball. Poor guys [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
I don't suppose Sky offers MLB Network, does it? When I travel I grumble excessively that almost no hotel that I stay in carries MLB Network.

I have that, but I don't get all of the games because I don't pay extra for them.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Is that a new(ish) curveball? If so, we ought to look at how well he's doing in a month or so, when more batters will have seen faced him and seen videos.

My guess is that batters play him late, with this pitch in mind. What's his mind going to be like if they do that all summer?

Well, it's fairly new as Darvish only came over to the States at the start of last season. But I think he was using the slow curve last season so most of the batters would have seen it, and will have plenty of film for their pre-game research.

And I expect you're right about the risk of batters waiting for the curveball, certainly if Darvish uses it too much. Only use it sparingly, and on different pitch counts...

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:

I have that, but I don't get all of the games because I don't pay extra for them.
Oh, neither do I. I just get the basic MLB Network. The only games I would want to see would be the Phillies' games--and because I live here, I get all of those on local TV anyway. However, if I lived elsewhere I'd be sorely tempted to invest the extra to get those games.

Speaking of investments, the Dodgers' big spending this past off-season has not produced much in the way of returns yet. And the Phillies' big investments in seasons past are turning to lead now too. I wonder how many more times this has to happen before the baseball execs begin to realize that those big $$$$ contracts are not a sound investment?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

And didn't I get lucky catching the start of the fifth in the Pirates game against the Mets! We trounced them. Five in that inning, for a 11-2 win!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it!

I think a Dodgers fan would know that quite well!
[Snigger]

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

If any of you haven't seen Money Ball, I'd highly recommend it. Not that my recommendation is worth any more than that of the lady at the convenience store, but it shows how Billy Beane has done so much with relatively so little over the years with the Oakland A's.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

I've still not got round to watching Moneyball, mainly because none of my local IRL friends are the slightest bit interested in baseball. One mate is, but he lives in Louisiana not the south of England!

Check it out, the Rangers walloped Verlander all over the park last night, scoring 8 runs off him in less than 3 innings. [Big Grin] Verlander's worst-ever outing, so says the Sports Illustrated report.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

I heard about that one. That's the thing about baseball, you never know.

There's never been a pitcher that couldn't get lit up and there's never been a batter that couldn't be whiffed in three.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I heard about that one. That's the thing about baseball, you never know.

There's never been a pitcher that couldn't get lit up and there's never been a batter that couldn't be whiffed in three.

Too true. In the Red Sox v Rays game the pitcher had a terrible streak giving three runs through 3 men walked and a double hit. The unpredictability of the game is quite something. One bad inning can undo all the good work of eight others, and vice versa.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Something like that happened in yesterday's Phillies-Reds game, which I happened to attend. The Phillies' rookie pitcher (Pettibone) continued to impress, going 7 innings and only allowing 2 runs (and one of those was "unearned" because it was attributable to a fielding error). But the Phils could not score against Cincinnati. In the 8th, the Phils managed to scratch one run across, but went into the 9th still trailing 2-1 and having to face the Reds' closer (Chapman). He walks the first Phllies' batter (D. Young) which gave us some hope. A pinch runner was put in for Young. And it says something about the Phil's bench-depth that the best choice we had for a pinch-runner was a pitcher--Cliff Lee. But then Lee gets picked off first, so we end up with one out and no runners.

Things were looking bleak, but the batter who was at bat when Lee got caught off of first (Kratz, a catcher, who was only playing because Ruiz got injured earlier in the game) then hits a homerun to tie the game. This was followed by utility infielder Galvis also hitting a homerun to win the game.

So, after practically a full game of no offense, the Phils won with back-to-back homers off the Cincy closer. And the homers were by two batters that are not known for their ability to hit.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Pirates just finished a sweep of the Cubs. I believe I heard them say that the Pirates are off to their best start since 1991.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Giants fan view.

I did enjoy Pagan's walk-off hit in O/T; 2RBI + in the park home run to combat the Rockies HR at the top of the 10th. Romo gets the win, despite conceding the HR. Stats can conceal the real story ..

The Giants are winning a lot of close ones again, but the starting pitching is no longer stellar this year. The NL West looks like being very competitive this year.

[Looks like my UKTV major league baseball watching is spared; as a BT broadband user I've got free access to ESPN under the new deal between BT and ESPN. Schedules aren't clear yet, but it's better news than I'd hoped.]

[ 26. May 2013, 20:26: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Amazing Grace

Very good signs now for the other side of the Bay. For the Giants, not so much. Pitching definitely a growing concern. Without a major turnaround, this is looking like an "also-ran" year.

But the A's have played very well recently, are fast catching the Rangers. I'm impressed, wish them well in the chase.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My Dodgers were starting to come back until last night: maybe Mattingly is the wrong man for the job, but let's give him another week to see if he can do better than a 3-4 loss to the Angels...

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

We are slightly over one-third of the way through the season, so I decided to review the league for what I would consider a surprise (good or bad) so far.

AL East: Boston. They are leading the division. Honestly, I wouldn't have expected that. They struggled so much last year that I was not prepared for them to bounce back this much.

AL Central: No surprises.

AL West: LA Angels--much worse than expected. They are currently at 25-32. The Angels were just swept by the Astros, a team that is highly likely to rack up 100 losses this year. Not good.

NL East: Washington--struggling a lot more than expected. Most pre-season picks had Washington winning the division and a hot pick to be in the World Series. Right now, they have a losing record (28-29). I know they have had a lot of injuries but, really, who doesn't?

NL Central: Pittsburgh--better than expected. I was hopeful that the Pirates would have a winning record this year, but I was worried that, this year, they would not have the Houston Astros in their division to pad the win total. However, the Bucs are 35-22, the best record they have had at this point in the season for quite some time. I am pleasantly surprised.

NL West: Sorry, Sir K, but it has to be said. Despite new ownership willing to bring in better players, the Dodgers are surprisingly bad. 23-32 (actually, that is scarily close to the same record as the Angels--so far, not a good year for LA baseball).

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
NL Central: Pittsburgh--better than expected. I was hopeful that the Pirates would have a winning record this year, but I was worried that, this year, they would not have the Houston Astros in their division to pad the win total. However, the Bucs are 35-22, the best record they have had at this point in the season for quite some time. I am pleasantly surprised.

Me too! In some degree thanks to the odd assist from the opposition, such as the spectacular outfield collision worthy of a village cricket match, after a stodgy tea.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Amazing Grace

Very good signs now for the other side of the Bay. For the Giants, not so much. Pitching definitely a growing concern. Without a major turnaround, this is looking like an "also-ran" year.

But the A's have played very well recently, are fast catching the Rangers. I'm impressed, wish them well in the chase.

Thanks. We had a big slump recently, so glad to see the pitching getting its act together and the team supporting it. 9-1 in the last ten games ain't shabby. Hoping for an injury-free future.

The wheels *have* seemed to be going off on the Giants rotation.

I just cast my "Vote Early, Vote Often" All-Star ballot - I vote a straight A's-Giants ticket for all 25 of my allowable votes. I may use another email and cast 25 more [Biased] . Would love to see Yoenis Cespedes in the game - he really is electric when he's on. But unlike last year, the A's seem to be getting some e-voting support.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

MLB has announced that the 2014 regular season will open in March...in Australia. The Dodgers and Diamondbacks (who were just involved in a major brawl with each other) will play the first games of the season on March 22 & 23 at the Sydney Cricket Grounds. The rest of the regular season will start in USA a week later.

Apparently, the then-NY Giants and Chicago White Sox had previously played an exhibition game at the Sydney Cricket Grounds 100 years ago (1914)(well, it will be 100 years by the time the Dodgers and Diamondbacks start brawling there).

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The Sydney Cricket Grounds also hosts rugby matches and Australian Rules Football (aka 'Footie'). Fighting won't come as a surprise to the Sydneysiders, in fact they will disappointed if the benches don't empty at some stage.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Holy moly, that was quite a brawl. Second major donnybrook that the Dodgers have been involved in. Second one with Greinke as a major protagonist. What the f*@#$ is going on in that clubhouse?

I know the damn unwritten rules and you basically get one shot to try to plink an opposing player. If Greinke had stopped at one, it wouldn't have gotten out of hand.

The NL West appears to be heating up. San Francisco's "Mr. Mellow" Bruce Bochy and one of his pitchers got themselves suspended this week as well.

In news on my side of the Bay, the A's were in another six-hour game which turned out to be 18 innings and a walk off win for the SWEEP of the Yanquis. Happily for the attendees the game started at 1 pm (unlike the previous one, which went till about 3 am). A friend of mine was at the game and says she feels she got 2 for 1 [Biased] .

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Holy moly, that was quite a brawl. Second major donnybrook that the Dodgers have been involved in. Second one with Greinke as a major protagonist. What the f*@#$ is going on in that clubhouse?

What's the old saying? You can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn but ......
quote:

you I know the damn unwritten rules and you basically get one shot to try to plink an opposing player. If Greinke had stopped at one, it wouldn't have gotten out of hand.

One wouldn't expect a pitcher to need two attempts at a man within reach. Heck, Grienke's pretty good at hitting batters from the mound [Biased]

[ 14. June 2013, 07:22: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

It was good to hear my favourite sports broadcaster call the fight: at least my Dodgers won, though we did not do so well the next day!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Officially, the Pirates have just recently recorded the franchise's 10,000th victory. They are 7th on the all-time win charts, behind: Giants; Cubs; Dodgers; Cardinals; Braves; and Reds. Interesting to note that 4 of the top 7 teams on this win chart currently play in the NL Central.

Of course, age of team plays a big part in this. The Pirates are also 4th in all-time losses and those same 4 NL Central teams are in the top 7 of the Loss List: Phillies; Braves; Cubs; Pirates; Reds; Cardinals; Dodgers.

The other interesting thing is that Pittsburgh is, allegedly, refusing to recognize the 10,000th win. This has to do with the franchise history. In 1882, there was a league called the American Association ("AA"). The AA was formed in 1882 and folded in 1891, but it was a recognized "major league" (i.e., recognized by MLB). One of the founding member teams of the AA was the "Alleghenys." In 1887, the Alleghenys jumped from the AA to become a National League (NL) club and became the "Pittsburgh Alleghenys." In 1891, the franchise was rechartered and renamed the Pittsburgh Pirates.

A long history lesson to simply say that apparently Pittsburgh is refusing to count the records of the AA Alleghenys. MLB, however, does count them as part of the Pirates history. Thus, MLB includes the AA Alleghenys victories (about 236 of them, if my math is accurate) in the 10,000-win count.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

We'll celebrate it and towards the end of the 2015 season we might be celebrating it again!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Now this is embarrassing! For the College World Series, one of the dugouts had it written as the "Colllege" World Series. 3 Ls.

Miss Utah was right. We do need to create education better.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016