homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peanuts & Cracker Jack: Baseball 2013
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dodgers won the second game last night!

Puig is invincible and has a batting average well over .400

Looking forward to seeing another game this weekend.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Things were looking bleak, but the batter who was at bat when Lee got caught off of first (Kratz, a catcher, who was only playing because Ruiz got injured earlier in the game) then hits a homerun to tie the game. This was followed by utility infielder Galvis also hitting a homerun to win the game.

So, after practically a full game of no offense, the Phils won with back-to-back homers off the Cincy closer. And the homers were by two batters that are not known for their ability to hit.

To top that off, no one is known for their ability to hit Chapman. There's probably lots of players who'd feel like studs just for making contact.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I've signed up for the Pittsburgh Pirates newsline, so I'll be kept abreast of all their excuses as my heroes blunder towards another ever so slightly disappointing season.

I'm sure you've noticed that the Pirates now have the best record in the majors.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
I've signed up for the Pittsburgh Pirates newsline, so I'll be kept abreast of all their excuses as my heroes blunder towards another ever so slightly disappointing season.

I'm sure you've noticed that the Pirates now have the best record in the majors.
And despite a defeat earlier today, they still have that! How much of a surprise is this to the pundits? Some broadcasters seem a bit cagey - maybe they want the Pirates to do well (heck, it's been a while), and they don't want to jinx them.

I just want them to stay in shape and win forty more games. Is that too much to ask?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very much in the "Don't Want To Jinx The Pirates" camp. One game at a time, guys!

NL West is a bit of a mess right now. Can anybody explain to me what is wrong with the Giants?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No idea about the Giants, not my team, but a four game losing streak is disappointing, especially if you've become accustomed to winning close games. The good news(?) is we're making hits but the bad news is that aren't converting them (for those who follow both games, today's England v Australia cricket was similar). It's all about keeping the errors out and those hits will become runs again. Just keep your composure guys, it's not all about getting selected for the All-Stars!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
My Dodgers won the second game (of a series) last night!

Puig is no longer invincible but still has a batting average over .400 as does Hanley Ramiriez.

Looking forward to seeing another 6-1 game tonight or 6-0 if a shutout can be sustained. We're back with a vengeance! Throwing money at a problem really does fix it: it just takes time...

[Snigger]

(Smugly wearing a Dodger t-shirt just found in a bag not used since a surfing safari in January wishing that I had a Dodgers logo on my jogging suit trousers as well....)

[did not notice the typos in "Preview Post". Aaargh!]

[ 10. July 2013, 19:33: Message edited by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

[Yipee]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The Dodgers Thread continues: 1/2 a game behind in NL West!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My team (the Phillies, in case you forgot)continues to be overwhelmingly average. The fact that we are in 2d place in our division speaks more to how bad the division is than any virtue on our part.

But today I am just trying to keep my spirits up as Yet Another Suspension of a player for violating the drug policy. Ryan Braun has accepted the suspension. He had been accused some time back but the charge did not stick because of technical irregularities in the collection of the urine sample. At the time, he professed total innocence. Now he admits that he has been engaged in wrongful conduct.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Coincidentally, this weekend is Hall Of Fame Induction Weekend. As you may recall, no modern players made the cut this past year, largely due to backlash of the steroid era. This year's inductees are: (1) Deacon White, played 1871-1890, barehanded catcher, was the first player at bat in the first game of the first professional league (the "National Association"); (2) Hank O'Day, umpire, 1884-1927, well-respected in an era when umps were not often respected; even when he made controversial calls nobody dreamed of suggesting that he was biased; (3) Jacob Ruppert, Yankees owner 1915-1938, two words: "Babe Ruth."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Blue Jays continue to stink up the American League East. Can't pitch, can't field and half of the lineup can't hit. Time to fire the Manager and the General manager.

[ 23. July 2013, 14:26: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am very much in the "Don't Want To Jinx The Pirates" camp. One game at a time, guys!

NL West is a bit of a mess right now. Can anybody explain to me what is wrong with the Giants?

Pitching. Not sure why "the wheels have come off". But the Cincy rout of Lincecum following his no-hitter kind of sums up the season.

The bats have been at least as good if not a little better than last season. So I should think Bochy is scratching his head about what to do. How does a stellar pitching rotation go so sour following a WS win? How much time do you give them to recover their mojo - and is that ever going to happen? Maybe the rotation and field settings have been rumbled as a result of some good close-season study by the other teams?

Baseball is a funny old game, Hedgehog. It's been an amazing few years for us long term Giants fans. But what goes around comes around. Anyways ... we know how to handle disappointment and keep the faith. Had plenty of practice! (I reckon you could say the same).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Tim Hudson of my beloved Braves had too much of the bag and was accidently spiked by Eric Young Jr., breaking his ankle. He was pitching what was probably his best game of the season when he was injured in the 8th inning.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Tim Hudson of my beloved Braves had too much of the bag and was accidently spiked by Eric Young Jr., breaking his ankle. He was pitching what was probably his best game of the season when he was injured in the 8th inning.

That was ugly. As much as I will happily cheer against the Braves in the normal run of things, I do not wish any of them ill. What happened to Hudson was awful. It was an accident and I am sure Eric Young feels horribly about it.

Here is hoping that Hudson comes back from his injury as strong as ever. And, ideally, pitching for the Phils... [Biased]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

L A Dodgers now half a game ahead atop the N L West! [Yipee]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Lively game at Washington; both managers ejected, and sixteen runs. Unfortunately the Bucs were on the wrong end of a 9-7 defeat, which was a heck of an improvement on 4-0 down after the first two horrible inning.

btw, I know it's a way to go, but can both wild-card teams come from the same division? Cincinnatti, lying third, have a better record than any side in NL(west) and NL(East)?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
btw, I know it's a way to go, but can both wild-card teams come from the same division?

Yes.

(Geez, somebody clip that to the quotes file. One of the few times I have given a straight answer without blathering on.)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

[Eek!] (I think that's the one)

The Pirates are still top of the majors but I'm very aware that there are a lot of away games to come and McCutchen, our top batter on stats, was out for the last game (at least). Still, our opponents do us the credit of putting strong sides against us and, barring the odd awful implosion (like the 0-13 v St Louis!) we keep winning close games; nerve racking, but better than losing them.

I think that's been the key: we are mean, calm and resilient. How long our pitchers stay effective (enough) worries me though.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Yes, still a lot of games to go. But, just for perspective, the Pirates have already won more games this season than they won in any season from 2005 through 2010.

Only twelve more wins to guaranty a winning record for the first time in 20 years!

Between the PED scandals and the poor play of the Phillies, it has not been a pleasant baseball season for me. Still, if I couldn't handle adversity I wouldn't be a Phillies fan. After all, historically no team in professional sports has lost as frequently as the Phillies.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The San Francisco Giants are on the path for a little history. If they manage to finish in last place in their division, they will be only the second team in modern World Series history to have won the World Series one year and finished in "last place" (in their division) the following year.

Baseball-Reference blog post on it.

The only other team was the 1998 Marlins, who won the World Series in 1997, then traded away all the team's talent and finished in last place in the NL East in 1998.

Of course, it isn't a truly fair comparison. The Giants are in 5th, which is last place in their division. But, for example, the St. Louis Cardinals won it all in 1964 and then finished in 7th place the following year...but it wasn't a last place finish because the division had ten teams in those days.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Did I say something about "winning close games" a week ago? Me and my big mouth.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Toronto as a city is excited about the Jays for the first time in 20 years.

We'll see what happens.

I posted that on the 14th of February.

Much has changed.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I hope my Dodgers remain at least 7 games ahead, but I cannot get the game on television just now - may have to wait for tomorrow's copy of the Times...

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
I hope my Dodgers remain at least 7 games ahead, but I cannot get the game on television just now - may have to wait for tomorrow's copy of the Times...

maybe this page will keep you from having to wait on the paper.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I was at the Phillies-Dodgers game on Sunday (in Philly). The Dodgers proved themselves polite guests by handing the game to their hosts on a platter, courtesy of the Dodgers' shortstop (Ramirez) committing not one but TWO errors in the bottom of the 9th.

Seriously, the Phils will take it. Any win, any way. They have to win over two-thirds of the remaining games just to get back to .500!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, maybe you guys can help out this baseball-clueless Brit. For how long has it been acceptable to pitch directly at a batter you don't like?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

It isn't, really. Rule 8.02(d) states that the pitcher shall not:
quote:
(d) Intentionally Pitch at the Batter.
If, in the umpire’s judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:
1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or
2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.

If, in the umpire’s judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially “warned” prior to the game or at any time during the game.

But the trick comes in deciding intent. There are many reasons why a pitcher may legitimately wish to "pitch inside" to a batter. For example, if the batter is crowding the plate. Or, if a batter has got off a good swing or two (even in prior at-bats) the pitcher may wish to "move the feet" of the batter so that the batter is not as comfortable up at the plate. Neither of these would be considered intentionally throwing "at" the batter. Of course, if the pitcher's control is bad, the pitch may end up hitting the batter, but that wasn't the true intent.

None of this explains what happened in last nights Red Sox-Yankees game. The pitcher was clearly trying to hit A-Rod. Why the ump didn't call it and eject the pitcher is a mystery. Other than that it was A-Rod who was the target of the pitch and nobody likes him, the dirty little cheater. But, still, the rules are the rules and it is illegal to throw at him. And the pitcher should have been ejected.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other thing about this is that just because something is illegal doesn't necessarily make it unacceptable to many players and fans. Throwing at someone is sometimes expected. Take this example: a Cardinals runner slides late and hard into second base, and the Giants second baseman is injured. So a Giants pitcher takes an opportunity to hit the Cardinals player. It happens several games later when the Giants are up 7-0, because this is during the league championship series, and no one's going to risk losing a game over this -- but it still happens. The pitcher is asked before the game about how he'll pitch to this guy and he says, "If something gets away from you inside, that's kind of part of the game." After the game when the press interviews him, he comes right out and cites the hard slide from the previous game.

The pitcher wasn't ejected, though, I think because in the moment it didn't look as blatant, which seems to be how the umps usually make the call -- if it's obvious from what the pitcher does during the game, as opposed to history between the players and what's said during pre-game interviews, that he threw at someone intentionally, he gets ejected. But if he doesn't make it so obvious, he gets away with it. Rodriguez was hit by a pitch about two weeks ago in Chicago, the day after the suspension was announced, and the fans cheered. I would bet the rent that pitch was entirely intentional, but it wasn't blatant the way it was in Boston the other day, and while the Yankee manager was ticked off, the quotes in the press were all about his criticism of the fans booing -- he doesn't appear to have criticized the pitcher.

So -- I agree with Hedgehog that Dempster should have been ejected, but wanted to add a long-winded caveat to the effect that some illegal things are acceptable if you can get away with them.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

What Ruth said.

When A-Rod gets beaned in Boston, the crowd accepts it with praise and thanksgiving. Same thing when Harper gets it in Atlanta.

The umps warned both teams in Atlanta when Strasburg was pitching for the Nationals. After he beaned Justin Upton, I believe it was, and then threw behind Simmons a couple of pitches he and the manager, Davy Johnson, were ejected from the game.

So, beaning is acceptable except for when it isn't.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

Most all the time you will see someone get hit from the shoulders down because a head shot does more than just send a message. It could ruin a guy's career or even kill him.

A good article about it.

If you notice in the Canada-Mexico video, the third baseman pointed at the ribs when he called on the pitcher to hit the Canadian batter. Gotta give him credit for a bit of decency, at least.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dempster has been suspended for five games.

The NY Times article notes that the Yankees did not retaliate, but the Red Sox and Yankees will play again soon. And the Yankees manager said both that you shouldn't throw a baseball at someone and that "protecting your own" is part of the game. So there you go.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I am currently listening to the Mets-Braves game. The Mets' pitcher just hit Atlanta's Justin Heyward in the head. It seems reasonably clear that this was a true accident and the pitch got away from him, but Heyward had to be helped off the field.

It will be interesting to see if the "protect your own" attitude will kick in and, later in the game, the Braves' pitcher "accidentally" hit a Mets batter.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Nope. The Braves didn't hit anybody. Of course, the game was tied 1-1 until the 10th, so the desire not to put the winning run on base may have held their hand.

But that is the cynic in me. It is much nicer to think that they recognized that it was a pure accident that Heyward was hit and so it was not the proper subject for any retribution.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Fractured his jaw. Yikes.

On another note ... can I just say, O my freakin' word, I never thought the Dodgers would be so amazing this year. I hoped they would be contenders, but was really just so happy to see the McCourts gone {spits} and the team in the hands of people who know what they're doing and aren't using it as an ATM. But I went so far as to calculate their magic number the other day. (I know, I know!) And I'm dreaming big dreams about October play. It's been 25 years since Gibson's home run...

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Nope. The Braves didn't hit anybody. Of course, the game was tied 1-1 until the 10th, so the desire not to put the winning run on base may have held their hand.

But that is the cynic in me. It is much nicer to think that they recognized that it was a pure accident that Heyward was hit and so it was not the proper subject for any retribution.

That's my thinking on it. To nail a Met would have come across as saying that, yes, maybe the Mets meant to do it.

Playing the Mets has been a dangerous affair this year for my beloved Braves. Hudson getting his ankle broke and now Heyward getting his jaw broke.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My Dodgers are out front and pulling away after a 4-1 win last night. I'd like to see Cardinals vs. Dodgers in playoffs. If we stay healthy, we could go all the way to the World Series!

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Blue Jays continue to under-perfom given there off-season acquisitions. Time for the GM to be sacked.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
But I went so far as to calculate their magic number the other day.

I think it is now 27 (following today's Dodgers win over Miami combined with a D-backs loss to Cincy). [Big Grin]

Just because it is nagging at me, let me correct a mis-statement I made earlier. It was JASON Heyward who got hit by a pitch, not "Justin." I can never keep his name straight.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
It was JASON Heyward who got hit by a pitch, not "Justin." I can never keep his name straight.

Same here. Maybe you're a Moody Blues fan, or something.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
My Blue Jays continue to under-perfom given there off-season acquisitions. Time for the GM to be sacked.

Have you ever watched a game from that big hotel in the outfield? I'd like to do that someday!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The NL is shaking down and while Atlanta and the Dodgers are way ahead in their divisions it's still tight in the Central which has three teams, including the Pirates, looking likely. ESPN reckons Pittsburgh and St Louis are 99% certain of making the play-offs although who goes through as divisional winners is very much up for grabs, and Cincinnati could do that.

Despite some spectacular collapses we're still the second-meanest team in the Majors but I've noticed that sides in the AL score more runs over the season. Is that due to the (spit) DH's?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Dodgers Rule!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Dodgers Rule!

Ruling that division is not such a big deal.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Oh yes it is if you were the third or fourth generation born in LA since the 1880s and you lived three miles from Chavez Ravine as a kid!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Woo hoo! It is now official! The Pirates just won their 81st game, so this is their first non-losing season in twenty years!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

You beat me to it! I must be some kind of lucky charm. No, that isn't it, we've got (nearly) everyone playing to their potential, enough depth (eg, Grilli's injury, Locke's loss of form) to overcome problems and we don't wear ourselves out chasing unwinnable games.

Looks like NL Central will provide three teams in postseason.

btw, are the Braves really that good?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
btw, are the Braves really that good?

That's a tricky question. They rely on the power of their bats, and they can all go cold at a moment's notice. Their record is also a little distorted because they are playing in a weak division--which means they get to play more weak teams than, oh, the teams in the NL Central.

To quantify that: the Braves' current win percentage overall is .616. Against the NL East, they are 40-21 for a win percentage of .656. Against the NL Central, they are 16-11, for a win percentage of .593. Against the American League teams, their percentage is .550. So, regardless, they have a winning record no matter what, but they are less dominant against NL Central teams than against NL East. And they struggle even more against AL teams.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

And just because I got interested in the question:

By comparison, the Pirates overall win percentage is currently .587. Against the NL Central, they are 36-23 for .610. Against the NL East they are 20-14 for .588.

But let's compare apples to apples. That NL East includes games against the Braves (where the Braves are ahead 4-3). But if you look at the Pirates' record against the other NL East teams (i.e., the same teams Atlanta plays), then the Pirates are 17-10, for a percentage of .630 compared to the Braves' percentage of .656.

By contrast, if we look at the Braves' games against the NL Central, excluding the Pirates, they are 12-8, for a .600 win percentage, compared to the Pirates percentage against those same teams of .610.

So each team has done better against their own divisional foes than the other team did.

Against the American League, the Pirates are an awesome .706, compared to the Braves' .550. But they are playing different AL teams, so it isn't a fair comparison.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Thanks, I'm a cricket stats nerd so that all makes sense, although cricket stats are applied to players more than teams.

quote:

Against the American League, the Pirates are an awesome .706, compared to the Braves' .550. But they are playing different AL teams, so it isn't a fair comparison.

I'm still getting to grips with the fixture scheme but we did get to play Houston which ought to help our record! Generally I suppose we do well in our home games against AL teams as their pitchers aren't such effective hitters against what looks to me like our fairly well-balanced team, while the Braves don't get quite the same advantage because, as you've suggested, they have an at-bat biased team.

I suppose the stats for that are somewhere too!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

After the Lord Mayor's Show of guaranteeing a non-losing season for the first time in 21 years (not entirely due to my support) we lose four in a row, inclusing three to the Cardinals, who now lead the division, leaving us tied with the Reds. Still, after three at Rangers we have eleven at home which is our chance to put the rest of the division in their place and get more than a wild card entry to post-season.

Months ago I muttered something about our pitching and it could be coming home to roost.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016