homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » δy/δx (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: δy/δx
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fledging magpie that has fallen out of its nest. Whenever I go near it it starts cheeping for food.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( [Frown] )

I'm more lazy than cheap, so I won't be hitting the Black Friday sales.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have occasional lusts for the wonderful keema curries at the Karachi Restaurant in Bradford. Shades of my student days.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indian food is one of the things I miss when I'm not in the Uk....though I recently had a very good Indian meal in Paris, and another excellent one in Philadelphia, USA! Is Indian the new Italian?

--------------------
Pondering.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always dreamed of owning an Italian sports car, but now that Fiat is combined with Chrysler, what if they produce a sleek mini van instead?

[ 23. November 2012, 16:01: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Italian ice cream is delicious.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My town is hosting a music festival this weekend. I think I will go to Lulu's and have an affogato.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't decide whether "affogato" is a Renaissance dance, a type of coffee or a description of the prevailing weather conditions in St. John's. Maybe we should have a game of Call My Bluff to decide.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall sailing from St John's Newfoundland to Saint John New Brunswick. It was much colder at the latter.
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a New Brunswick in New Jersey, USA, but I doubt this is the one in question.

--------------------
Pondering.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People who doubt are often aptly named Thomas.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

But probably not John Thomas.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Tom Collins is a cocktail which I believe involves GIN.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Cocktail" was a 1980s film starring Tom Cruise. I assume GIN was involved in there somewhere.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

The Stiff Gins are in Australia a well known indigenous band.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a student with a Saturday waitressing job, a stiff was someone who didn't leave a tip. Dead to all decent feeling, perhaps?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago a girl used to pay me £45 for 2 hours of my services. She paid me with the tips she used to make as a pub waitress and the money was always in a snap bag which was rather heavy.I never counted it till I got home.
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I don't know what you do for a living, pjl, but that would make for a terrific opening line to a novel.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

An opening line for a novel is hard for the writer to find. Ditto an ending line. Not that everything in between is a walk in the park, either....

--------------------
Pondering.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For great opening lines to horrible novels, I give you the Bulwer-Lytton Contest. I believe our dear, departed Kenwritez (may he refrain from braising the seraphim in a slow oven) had gotten an (dis)honorable mention from them in at least one year's contest.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory is working sluggishly today. What is the distinction between cherubim and seraphim again?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I have tried a bit of nudity, but at my age it is best to cover my (ahem) feet. [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

At my age nudity is best only practised in the bath.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Bath, now there's a thing. Have you noticed how some renovated bathrooms, especially where space is tight, have a shower stall instead of a bath? Many of us brought up in the UK with no shower at all--I guess that marks me as a certain generation--have the bath habit, so this is a dire development!

--------------------
Pondering.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

In America bathrooms are unlikely to have a bath, but just a WC.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

"The Wife of Bath's Tale" is a bit ribald and very entertaining.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of months ago, I visited Bath, Maine, which is a little town to the north and east of Portland, Maine. Portland, Maine, of course, is on the east coast of the USA and should not be confused with Portland, Oregon, which is on the west coast. It would be funny if there was a Bath, Oregon--perhaps to the south and west of Portland!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. It looks like we're actually staying on topic. I . . . I don't know what to do. I may need some wine from the Douro Valley (you know, Port land) to steady my frazzled nerves.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I have known about WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) for Linux to run Windows programs, but i just found out today that there is one to run Mac programs.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We're having some windows replaced chez Piglet, but due to Unfortunate Circumstances it's taking rather a long time.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

This morning at 5.30 a.m. it was discovered that the fuse had gone on all the downstairs lights. Have now mislaid the relevant fuse holder, and the fuse box is ancient, so the whole thing may need replacing...

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

After three days of putzing around trying to get my "dead" car battery replaced, come to find out the battery is just fine. So is the seating of the battery (unlike the report I got at the first place I went where they claimed whatever-the-hell-holds-the battery-in was deteriorated and they couldn't install the battery that I had just bought from them). All it needed was new terminal connections. Huzzah!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

"Huzzah!" is one of those great expressive words one just doesn't hear enough these days. Likewise, "Harrumph!"

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

On changing the duff fuse and the lights still not working, I indulged in more basic Anglo Saxon.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Anyone remember a heavy-metal band from the early 1980s called Saxon?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Maybe the fuse wire I used was too thin. I'll try a heavier gauge before spending money on a electrician.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I hadn't started working before the 1980s, Saxon is what I'd have spent my spending money on. (Does that resolve the cross post? I hate it when that happens.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Well resolved, Balaam!

There's a wonderful church in the Cotswolds, at Daglingworth, which not only has rare Saxon sculptures inside, but also a window made out of an old Roman votive stone on which was recorded that one Junia made a vow to the genius of the place.

--------------------
Pondering.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Roman altar from the temple in the fort of Cambodvnvm is now in the Tolson Museum, Huddersfield.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Distressing furniture is something you acquire with no effort if you have sons.

Also intimate knowledge of how difficult it can be to get a replacement hinge for a freezer/fridge door...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

'Tis the morning to tread the wilds of my fridge and vanquish the monsters of meals past.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

At the moment my fridge is full of silly wee sticky things to take to a cookie-exchange party tomorrow.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

I went to a dinner party last night and ate too much which I am now regretting.

--------------------
Pondering.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Investigating the reduced section of a local supermarket, I found mini pork pies with onion chutney on top. Very moreish. They gave me the strength to replace that weak fuse wire with the heavier stuff, and now my lights work!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

One of the (many) reasons they should never have re-made The Italian Job is that the modern BMW Minis haven't got a fraction of the character of the originals.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

He may be fiscally conservative, but Gran Torino shows Clint Eastwood's socially liberal side.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

During the cool season I become quite liberal with my use of Bailey's in my coffee of an evening. Yum!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To show the cultural difference the equivalent of "Yum" here is "Nom".

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
One of the (many) reasons they should never have re-made The Italian Job is that the modern BMW Minis haven't got a fraction of the character of the originals.

I refuse to watch the remake. Keep your minis (and your memories) pure.

You can always use a nom de plume if you don't want anyone to know who is really writing those words.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I refuse to watch the remake ...

Me too - the trailers were more than enough.

Back to the game:

There's a pub in Bristol called the Plume of Feathers which, IIRC, has a very small bar.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016