homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » δy/δx (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: δy/δx
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forty years ago, I was in my first year of university, studying architecture and though I knew how to surf I hadn't been to Hawaii yet.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been to Hawaii, or Finland. But I have been to Russia.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent a couple of weeks learning Russian after my "O" levels, many years ago, but I didn't get very far.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"O happy day", is one of those annoying songs that makes me unhappy. YMMV
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A happy day for me would involve CSK beating KKR in the IPL this afternoon.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard Kinks Sunny Afternoon on the radio, great song.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Some of my best friends are [more than] a little bit kinky.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinky Boots and Hot Pants were very high on my 'must have' list when I was about 10. Sadly, no-one bought them for me.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 10, my mum made me a pair of hot pants (green, with a bib and braces), but I never quite managed to persuade her on the kinky boots; my best friend had red knee-high ones with lace-ups, which I coveted ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Braces" of course in North America means teeth-straightening appliances, and I had mine when I was about ten.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten green bottles hanging on the wall.

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"...ninety-nine bottles of beer- you take one down and pass it around; ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall..."

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That what it's all about.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rather hoping to turn my weight around. You know, swim more often, chose salad at lunch, that sort of thing.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know. The salad days are over.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorting things can be a real drag, particularly if it then involves filing!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, play lose a letter and filing becomes fling! Instant decluttering....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Everyone seems to want instant everything these days but often the best things are those that take a bit more time.

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Just drinking an instant coffee right now. It's very nice.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nice is rarely used in the old sense of precision these days.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

In German, these days is heut zu Tag. One of the phrases which stays with me from my five year stint in Germany.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Have you ever noticed that "memorable phrases" that people quote are, more often than not, really clauses?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kan du talar Svenska? Jag kan talar liten Svenska.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only a little, Kevin, and certainly not enough to be able to get through to IKEA that I don't have enough shelf supporting lugs in my Billy flat-pack.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

When I were nowt but a lad and used to go camping the pans we used for cooking were called Billy Cans - I have no idea why.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir Kevin, may I remind you that it is not acceptable to post in a foreign language without a translation. Thank you.

Imaginary Friend.
Circus Host

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Kan du talar Svenska? Jag kan talar liten Svenska.

So sorry: I forgot!

Apparently, I am not the only one who can speak a little Swedish. Speaking the language in modern-day Sweden is actually unnecessary as all school pupils learn English by the end of their second year: reading the written language may be helpful to travellers.

I took the language in my first year at the University of California because I hoped to be an exchange student at the University of Lund in my third year. The closest I came to that was having fallen in love with a Swedish-American girl when I was a teenager...

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... so pratar bara Engelska. (speak only English)

My friend with the Viking ancestry was so popular with her husband's cricketing companions that when they became engaged the club bought an ice-making machine for her gins...!

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

At my school I fell in lust more often than in love.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have a friend who used to work at Viking Boys Club in Birkenhead.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have avoided this thread like the plague. I thought it was something like "Having Fun With Algebra".

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I loved algebra at school and I also enjoyed teaching some to neighbour boy when he was having trouble with maths.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually getting a B in my algebra class! How miraculous is that!

[ 27. April 2013, 18:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Is class still an issue in society these days or is the stratification of society all based on wealth these days?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

There are strata of competence among pianists. I'm at or near the bottom.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Competence, or lack thereof, can be quite difficult to use as a means of dismissal of an employee.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The dismissal bell at school rings at 3.05.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I used to like wearing rings on my fingers but I have never worn a toe ring - yet.

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

I put a pitchfork prong through my toe once. Had to pull it back out and then get a tetanus shot. Ouch.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I'd be careful talking about forks - there are some who still consider them unmanly and the use of them optional...

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good thing that I'm not a man and am not expected to do "manly" things like set fence posts and chase spiders. (Ducks and dodges! [Two face] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We keep a duck on the dining table on the verandah, it is made of wood and doubles as a pen holder for the pens I use for doing my Sudoku over breakfast.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Dining tables should never be placed outside in Creamtealand as it is always raining, just about to rain, or just finished raining.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Cream Tealand a few years ago - in February - and it didn't rain at all. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

February here is usually dry and bright and sunny, and cool at night.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

We are starting to get condensation on our windows at night.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

My cat licks and chews my hand in bed at night. Licks-okay. Chewing-not so much. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Children in Liverpool used to refer to Cats Licks and Proddie Dogs - I wonder if they still do.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grilled chicken livers, with water chestnut, and all of it wrapped in bacon----- how I love it! I paint them with a glaze of soy sauce, ketchup and apricot jam, if I have it.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ketchup here is available as plain tomato or as Tomato and Chilli, which has a lovely zing to it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016