homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » δy/δx (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: δy/δx
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once attended a performance of Joseph and the technicolour dreamcoat given unaccompanied in the open air by a Rudolf Steiner school. Very moving.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my plans for the Christmas service is to have the choir sing "Break Forth, O Beauteous Heavenly Light" unaccompanied! They can do it, I'm sure!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Light Ale, preferably cooled, can be very refreshing on a warm day

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The days, and particularly the nights, have cooled here; it is time to begin to enjoy the gas fireplaces in the living room and bedroom.
I hate having to walk across the room to use the wall switch when I turn them off and on, though; I wish my TV remotes could be adapted to also control the fireplaces.

[ 17. October 2012, 15:15: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The longer I am away from my former profession of social work the more convinced I am that it is really social control.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have at times dallied with the notion of joining a religious order, but maybe I couldn't be a professed anything except singing teacher. The medieval habits are elegant, though. Not so keen on the modern equivalents.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Anybody know how to enter an 'equivalent to' sign on an iPad? [it's a three-line = sign]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one takes an iPad on a vacation to Europe, will it be possible to re-charge it on their power grid, or would an AC/DC adapter be needed?
Not that a vacation over there is without complications; most of the restaurants, particularly in Italy, have no restrictions on smoking, so you may be seated next to a table of 5 or 6 smokers; then how do you see your steak or read your laptop or iPad through the smoky haze anyhow?

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our friends 21yo son's funeral they ended the 'celebration' with AC/DC's Highway to Hell on the son's request.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that vampires can be killed with a steak through the heart. Do you have to use a stake to kill zombies?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the Zombie is one of the better named cocktails: "Keep serving them to me until I turn into one".

Don't forget the 151 proof flaming top.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once suffered a horrendous accident when someone set light to my viscose thermal boob tube - a flaming top indeed.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't see children with them any more - spinning tops. Time was, a bit of vigorous pumping and then the thrill of watching it go round and then eccentrically decay and stop was sufficient excitement.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what I really like? Obvious double entendres.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I ever saw Joe Jackson in concert it was in 1991 at the Greek Theater in Berkeley for his "Laughter and Lust" tour, and he opened with "The Obvious Song."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Berkeley Castle was where King Edward II payed for what the 14th century saw as his unnatural lusts in a particularly unfortunate manner.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please read 'A Modern Girl's Guide to Etiquette'. Unfortunate manners can be so... unfortunate.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you read my sig line?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

"A Modern Girl's Guide to Networking" writes about topics from the boardroom to the bedroom, which are pursuits for women not girls.
Now, if they had a book with a title like "The Trailer Trash Guide to Messin' Around" I bet that would sell!

[cross-pissed}

[ 18. October 2012, 00:42: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My trailer got trashed when we loaded a huge tree stump on it.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh. I missed supper today. Something just made me think of a loaded baked potato! Yummy sour cream, freshly chopped chives, a sprinkle of nutmeg. Rats. Now I'll go to bed hungry.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

There was a dead muskrat along the edge of the beach today; I was looking at the sunset, accidentlly stepped on it, and it made a really squishy sound!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The disadvantage of living on the east coast is that the sunset is on the wrong side; I was always used to it being over the sea, but here it's over the trees, which just isn't quite right.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

The whales going up and down our east coast have given us great displays this year with their spouts, breaching, and tail slaps. I am going out on a boat to see them next year.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I visited Wales once and it rained non stop.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know that the "One Stop" chain of shops is owned by Tesco?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The silver chain I wear around my neck is the third I have bought in the last couple of years, the other two broke.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not much for chains, but I have bought a lovely pair of enamelled earrings. Almost the only form of jewellery which doesn't annoy me to wear.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a club last night and I noticed a woman with a fine pair
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Pears can be very hard, IME. I can only eat soft ones.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cats looked at me so pleadingly this morning, I shared my breakfast with them - I am such an old softy. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah! Mr Softee! This jingle brings it all back.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's right - it will be Christmas soon. Must practise the carols and buy some presents.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Are y'all doing anything special for Advent? There's an Advent calendar in the closet that D-U used to enjoy when she was little. Maybe I'll get it out for me this year.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know one of the Adent, the electronic version not the Christian hip hop version, started out as an engineer? Not a "build bridges" engineer, but the music kind. Their music is like House on speed. House did Vicodin I think. Speed was an awful movie can't believe Dennis Hopper agreed to do it. Probably a result of all the drugs he did in the 60's. Which sound like a fantastic time, free love and all, but one had to deal with stinky hippies, right? What kind of freedom were they looking for, freedom from soap?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My dad and I used to love Soap when it was on TV in the 80s - my mum never really saw the point.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 1980s, soap on a rope was all the rage. Or was it the 1970s?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one was working in the 1970s. They were all on strike. Remember it well.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got three strikes in a row bowling once. Someone told me that's a 'turkey'. No-one sent me to jail.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a Christmas special of The Bill on TV that had the hilarious scene where PC Reg Hollis had been put in charge of the food for the Christmas party, so ordered 75 portions of Turkey Madras from the local Indian takeaway.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had madras plaid clothes when I was in high school, It was all the rage. It seems to have come back into fashion the last couple of summers, with men wearing madras shorts everywhere.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madras, also known as Chennai is called India's Detroit, though it might well be more safe than the original Detroit these days as it is one of the safer large cites in India. Safety is important in a city, because with out it, one is not safe.

ETA: Ha! Your cross posts cannot foil me, Mamacita!

[ 18. October 2012, 18:31: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching an episode of "Bait Car" the other day, set in Chicago. It was the one episode that had me worrying for the safety of the cops. Crowds of kids were running around and someone sent a brick into a car window (not the bait car). It wasn't a real riot, just another night in the 'hood. [Eek!]

Car thieves seem much more laid back in Los Angeles and New Orleans.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Placing a brick in the cistern of your lavatory is a great way to save water.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You won't be short of a choice of curry houses if you visit Brick Lane, E1, Londinium.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiously enough a lot of Roman cooking was like curry, as they went in for using quite a lot of spices. Rice, however, was ruinously expensive as it had to be imported specially from India, so you wouldn't have had much of a chance to pop out for a baltius in Londinium.
Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rice pudding was the favourite dessert of Lloyd George - left overnight to cook in a warm oven (after the bread had been baked). It was normally so thick that it would be eaten cold and cut into slabs like cake. Did I mention that Lloyd George knew my father?
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

George Lloyd was a Cornish composer, born in St Ives.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never met a man with seven wives, but then I've also never been to Utah.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

I tot Utah a puddy tat.

[eta translation: The Tweety Bird; I thought you saw a pussy cat.]

[ 18. October 2012, 21:35: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016