homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » δy/δx (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: δy/δx
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The creature that Americans call a buffalo is really a bison.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bisodol is supposed to be really good for acid indigestion.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If hydrangeas are grown in acidic soil, they will have bluish flowers. Isn't that the opposite of what acids do to litmus paper?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can never remember - which are the litmus states in the US elections?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I very rarely vote, which is naughty, considering the lengths the suffragettes went to to get women the vote.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I really must work on my swimming if I go to Sri Lanka - I'd like to be able to manage a couple of lengths in one go by the time I come home.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My physics teacher at school came from Sri Lanka. We used to get great pleasure pointing out to him that "Sri Lanka" was rhyming slang for a popular English insult.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A French priest once referred to me un vrai anglais which may well have been not a huge compliment.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
broderie anglaise may not be in fashion, but it is very pretty.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
La langue anglaise is very much in fashion now in France. Clothes shops advertise their latest fashions as "must have." Everyone says"cool." And much more....

--------------------
Pondering.

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its going to get a lot cooler towards the end of the week.

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel a bit sorry for Lot's wife.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to keep my salt intake down. I even enjoy boiled eggs without salt.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They sell pickled eggs at my local. They're really nice with Worcestershire sauce, but even better with Tabasco

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found an empty bird egg on the grass this week. Isn't it a bit late for the little things to be hatching?

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is a dish fit for a king, especially if served with a glass or two of Buck's Fizz.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that I've moved to the Cotswolds, Buckinghamshire is one of the several closely neighbouring counties, though I've never visited Buckinham itself.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I remember, when I was 11 or 12, we visited some relations in Stow-on-the-Wold and my great aunt [?] had made Lardy Cakes.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a great aunt and also a great great-aunt and by this time tomorrow I will have seen two of my great nephews and my great great-nephew. My whole extended family's great [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I were nobbut* a wee lad we used to play in some trees at the top of a cliff that looked down on a house where they kept great danes.

*Yorkshire and other northern dialect for "nothing but."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Danegeld was basically protection money extorted from the Britons by their medieval overlords.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hilarious animation of the lyric "We Are Your Overlords" appears in the infamous Viking Kittens video spoof of a Led Zeppelin song. Legend has it that Messrs Page and Plant were Not Amused™.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because one chooses to wear camouflage clothing does not provide an excuse to forego washing one's face; in fact, such a habit could well be considered to be slovenly.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I am SO glad I have a washing machine. It even has a hand wash cycle that cleans and doesn't destroy delicate items! Otherwise, there would be a pile of lacy items stacked in the closet waiting forever to be cleaned the old fashioned way.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like an interesting discovery.
Did you know that if you take an uppercase letter Y and place a circle between the outstretched arms of the Y, you will have a symbol for discovery? (disc over y)
I am surprised that no one uses that as an avatar!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish the Discovery Channel would show something a bit more interesting than endless programmes about pawnbrokers and other assorted tat-merchants.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

St Nicholas is the patron saint of pawnbrokers. The three gold balls that are seen over many pawnbrokers' shops are representative of the bags of gold given by St Nicholas to the three poor young women to save them from being sold into slavery.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Since one of my cameras died I seem to have more camera bags than I have cameras - perhaps I should buy another camera to take up the slack.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did people stop saying "slacks" for trousers? And were "slacks" only ever women's trousers, or could men have slacks too?

Of course over in the US they say "pants" which causes much transatlantic confusion and amusement...even more so these days I should think, now that in Britspeak in some quarters to say something is "pants" means it's bad, rubbish, crap (I think, if I've correctly understood the vernacular!)

--------------------
Pondering.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Services in the vernacular seem to be the rule these days although I know there are exceptions - some places still say Mass in Latin and in the Syro-Malankara Rite I gather there are some Syriac words used that no longer have any real meaning outside the Rite.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever happened to the proper use of spelling? Now our youngsters type nite when they mean night, rite, when they mean right, and the list goes on. Its about time the schools went back to basics and taught and corrected spelling in all subjects, not just English.

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Sartre, the idea of the subject is one free from a transcendental ego; the ego is not something that exists beyond the epoche, but rather a projection, indeed, and illusion, one necessary to have an idea of unity to the transcendental synthesis of our perceptions, the "I" that is part of the "I think" that must accompany all judgments, ideas, and intuitions, but one that, nevertheless, has no entity of its own.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so," spake Douglas Adams

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I quite liked the book Watership Down but found Adams' later works less to my taste.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has wanted a pet rabbit since she was 3 years old but I'm afraid our current living arrangements don't allow for it.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Have you noticed how some people seem to rabbit on and on never seeming to pause for breath and at the same time saying absolutely nothing?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there such a thing as absolutely nothing? Even in a vacuum there's quantum flux. And, I suppose, God.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Suppositories are an effective way of getting certain prescribed drugs into the system - in some cultures suppositories are preferred to oral medication.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

My dear son-in-law is having the oral part of his testing today. He's a bit nervous, but I think he'll do very well! Go M!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After I had oral surgery as a teenager to remove eight(!) teeth in preparation for braces, I looked like a beat-up chipmunk.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Friar Tuck had lived in more modern times whether he might have been known as the Fish and Chip Monk?
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of the simple joys of archery. I find it quite a soothing form of exercise. Drawing back the bow and then hearing the sublime "thwp!" sound as a I release the arrow toward the target. Very zen!

I only do target shooting, though. I fear my conscience would not allow me to take aim at a living animal since this is just for sport and not self-preservation.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think the Zen is beginning to look a little dated these days.

[ 27. October 2012, 02:27: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Am I the only person on Earth who hasn't read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

PS Wodders, you're dead right - it looks like a Mini Metro. [Big Grin]

[ 27. October 2012, 03:19: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I don't know much about art but I know what I like.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

There's an art to grilling and smoking food. Sometimes it comes out OK, but misses the sublime 'this is a piece of Heaven' factor. It's well worth practicing to get it right!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Art Garfunkel was the taller half of a really rather good singing duo in the 60s and 70s.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Garfunkel's is hardly the place to go if you want to eat fine food.

--------------------

claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too much fine food makes me feel ill [Projectile]

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OTOH, Illy coffee is served in some good teashops and patisseries.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016