homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The All New Mornington Crescent Show (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The All New Mornington Crescent Show
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now you have posed us a Subterranean Conundrum.

For, of course we all know what a Cut-and-Cover line includes ... or do we? Does it include the Metropolitan Extension Line beyond Finchley Road, or the District Line to Upminster, for instance? Not much covering going on in places like that, I would vouchsafe.

Equally, what about C-&-C sections on bored lines - such as Canary Wharf station? Do we condemn passengers to the purgatory of an indeterminate wait just outside station limits? I know that happens all the time, but it's not intentional then, is it?

You really ought to be more careful! However I would suggest that South Kensington (District Line) (Deep Level) might just extricate ourselves from this particular fix - what's left of it!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem, Baptist Trainfan, is that second turn was out of turn - it wasn't the fifteenth Wednesday after you took away the first number you thought of on Willie Rushton's birthday, although I must admit that Karl's intervention does have an effect on play under Chapter XVI of the Constitution.

So, going back to Alderney, I think we're forced to go Hazelhatch and Celbridge - I shouldn't worry about mate in three, the King's at Elephant.

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
AndyB, considering that you only appear to have been playing for about 10 minutes, you're at an eye-wateringly advanced level, although I thought all that green/orange chip-balancing malarkey had gone out with the Good Friday Agreement ... [Big Grin]

You're making me look like a complete beginner, which is why you're going to forgive me for playing Leicester Square, even though it's still Wednesday here (just) and I'm risking putting the entire western hemisphere into spoon.

eta: Bother - missed the Wednesday deadline. Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 23. May 2013, 02:31: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leicester Square? Well, I suppose it's excusable, given that it's not bank holiday weekend quite yet, but you'll get stuck in the crowds for the film premiere.

Far better to skip the cinema and stay at home in front of the TV.

So Shepherd's Bush.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. That only goes to show how out of practice I am.

King's Cross would only fall into Karl's trap, so let's run away to Euston Square.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good thing too, seeing that the BBC Television Centre at Shepherd's Bush has closed down.

However that association between TV and Squares can only lead to one place (and it's not a good one): Walford East (cue closing credits, fade to black).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done BTF. That means there is an opening now for Trenzalore

That opens up such a range of possibilities. You do realise that parallel universes are opening up as we play now, don't you? The Trousers of Time would fit Cthulu...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tentacles in your trousers sounds like something to be avoided, so I think my play has to be Queen's Arcade. By warp shunt, of course.
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Ongar seems the most appropriate move in the circumstances.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If we are on that theme then I think we can transit to Bushey Heath.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Nine Elms.

With a fully-charged accumulator and an Ambassadorial bonus, this gives me a transatlantic bonus.

McPherson Square.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh well, LC, if we've moved over to this side of the Pond ...

... let's see what people make of Toronto Union.

Oh, and as it's now Thursday, the western hemisphere is not in spoon. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

I'd say that Kipling might open up a few interesting possibilities, if you can keep your head.
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Let's just quietly go to Pinner - fix this up and all that.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit glaring now, isn't it?

Having effectively tied a knot in the Trousers of Time, which must be quite painful for Cthulhu, we're back in our normal reality. Or what passes for it. Now, a conventional approach to getting to MC from here would involve a lateral transfer over the Picadilly line and a quick reverse peak time shunt across Northern. However, (a) that's boring, and (b) there'll almost certainly be a sudden howl of protest from someone sucked in by the Leamington Spa crowd, and frankly, after the tiring and tiresome events at last year's convention - in front of live TV cameras [Roll Eyes] I think we'd all agree we could do without either the hassle or the reminders of scenes which one would expect rather in the stands at a 70s football match. Suffice it to say that Arn Osgrove and Ray Nurslane are still in the high security wing of a psychiatric hospital at a secret location in the country, and no-one yet knows what happened to poor San T'Pancras' Cocker Spaniel.

But I digress. Obvious move to avoid it all kicking off is Tharbad Quays

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Time to get out via Dover Western Docks.
Shipmate
# 76

Aha! I thought you might try that! Hoped indeed.

[sticks wet thumb in air to check for wind direction]

Regula 1

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Are you sure you want to do that? Hours will seem like days if you take that route.

Still, on the plus side, it's less than fourteen hours from Mingo City.

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Nothing else for it.

Mornington Crescent. Non-terminal, because I'm well aware that it would be an invalid move otherwise.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Mmm ... passing THROUGH M.C. ... that is a Highly Dubious Move which may be purely excused by the fact that there are no Passenger Conveniences at platform level leaving one is in Desperate Straits and needing to get to Euston as quickly as possible.

Only one thing for it (and students of Mr. Bazalgette's Great Victorian Construction will know why are going here) ... Beckton.

Oh dear ... can anyone lend me an old penny? ... Please? ... No-one? ... Bother.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

After that spot of light relief, we must be ready for a 2/- Moonlight Special to Gravesend. Change at Ebbsfleet International for the beer run.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm glad you did that, LC - I haven't been to Kent for ages, so I think I'll drop in on my sister-in-law in Faversham. As you mentioned beer, a pint of Shepherd Neame from the brewery along the road should be in order. Cheers! [Smile]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

So many choices, but I think we'll follow the gunpowder to Westminster, where we could pick up the Bishop and his finger.
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
So many choices, but I think we'll follow the gunpowder to Westminster, where we could pick up the Bishop and his finger.

Such a move in the religious direction requires a balance towards science, hence South Kensington to take on board a few more fossils.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Time for a very precise shunt via the District Line to Hounslow West before coming back via the Piccadilly to Turnham Green.

[ 25. May 2013, 07:36: Message edited by: AndyB ]

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh My Goodness.

I have checked ALL the rule books and discover that AndyB's move really is valid, because this is a Saturday before a Bank Holiday.

So, having held on to make my move this long, I can help you all out, by way of a shunt to

Cockfosters

[ 25. May 2013, 11:33: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

fforde-Rivers rides again!

Unfortunately, Clapham Common.

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Elephant. Without castle.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Well, that's what it used to say on the front of the trains!

Just like it used to say Ealing - take your pick, but I think you know where I mean.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Clever move that, BT - and by application of Piglet's Special Logic, I suggest we all get our passports ready, as the next move is obviously Pimlico.

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

But you don't need a passport if you're travelling by ferry to Kingstown!

[ 26. May 2013, 12:04: Message edited by: AndyB ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And rapidly back to the present day at Holyhead.
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Hook, line and sinker. Tower Gateway for the captured.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Brixton. Better buy a period return.
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wimbledon

Watch out for the balls!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Yipee] I get to invoke the "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549! [Yipee]

Sticking with balls, although differently shaped: Twickenham

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Clearly after all those balls, we are in want of a great big gherkin.

Aldgate would be the closest station to St. Mary Axe.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
[Yipee] I get to invoke the "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549! [Yipee]

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early for the Underground - although the Tudors were indeed clever people.

Better go to Richmond although there isn't much left of the Palace.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Palace ping-pong it is, then.

Westminster

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

If you must insist on saying what you like, take a trip to Marble Arch and visit Hyde Park.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
... "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549 ...

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early ...
I think it may have been caused by a crease in the Trousers of Time, or possibly a stretching of the Braces of Eternity. [Eek!]

As it's getting rather late I'm going to have to take a night-bus to St. Pancras

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
... "Piglet-follows-the-Weeder Convention" of 1549 ...

Are you entirely sure of the date? It does seem a little bit early ...
I think it may have been caused by a crease in the Trousers of Time, or possibly a stretching of the Braces of Eternity. [Eek!]

As it's getting rather late I'm going to have to take a night-bus to St. Pancras

The dating is from the council of Nicaea so is actually 1874CE. Night train rules apply so going to Canterbury West.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Hallo? Hallo? Is there anyone out there? Or have we been arrived at Outer Darkness (i.e. beyond the Travelcard Zones)?

We need to hop onto the Southern Electric and get back to Charing Cross pronto.

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Sorry, due to engineering works you have been diverted to Liverpool Street - without actually arriving in Charing Cross.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

For me the natural progression from Liverpool Street is Colchester to see my in-laws, but there are some of the wrong sort of leaves on the line, so I've got stuck at Hatfield Peverel.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Normal service will resume in the morning.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Now here is a woman with Intelligence and Understanding, who Truly Understands the railways we have in this part of the world.

We'll grudgingly allow a little progress: Witham.

[ 29. May 2013, 07:29: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Greater Anglia regrets to inform you that this service will be terminating at Witham. This is due to an earlier incident just outside the station.

I'm afraid your only possibility now is to go to Braintree.

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I think the only option from there is to shunt across, back, forwards, and back again to Dollis Hill
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Now here is a woman with Intelligence and Understanding ...

You're very kind, BT, but you obviously don't know me very well ... [Big Grin]

AndyB, that was a very unfortunate move, even for late on a Wednesday, and has, I fear, put everything north of the river in spoon until 9:00 a.m. BST on Thursday.

Tooting Bec isn't north of the river, though, so it should be all right.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:

AndyB, that was a very unfortunate move, even for late on a Wednesday, and has, I fear, put everything north of the river in spoon until 9:00 a.m. BST on Thursday.

Tooting Bec isn't north of the river, though, so it should be all right.

I'll fork the spoon by going further south and sending us to Morden.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016