homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The All New Mornington Crescent Show (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The All New Mornington Crescent Show
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
Red Chip for Piglet. Wasn't even the right film ...

He did more than one, you know. [Big Grin]

If I've got a red chip, according to my 1965 rule-book, my best option is Moskva 3.

Either that or I've got to miss a turn ... [Disappointed]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perish the thought!

Lots of nice chips (together with excellent fish) at Whitby, of course. Come by steam train.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Via connection at Goathland I can do a Thinly Veiled Reference to a Sexual Offence children's literary link to Hogsmeade

This could be an interesting few plays; Svalbard is of course in Nidd which makes any moves relying on the Dust problematical.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmmm. Children's literature eh?

Well if we go back to the Island of Sodor will open up quiet a few possibilities. Knapford Junction

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sodor yourself. I think we should head up to Mallaig, for Skye.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we need to return to London (change at Fort William for the Deerstalker Express).

What about a visit to the Underground's most unsuccessful station? Hampstead (North End) aka "Bull and Bush" never ever opened!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, that just won't do; you can't just plough through a whole zone where interchanges are spooned without either going ethereal or using a potion of the same. Since no such potion has been in any hoards, and you're not a magic using class, neither applies to you.

I think that means you're on the buffers at Euston for two clicks.

A quick check of the dilithium crystals and a level 3 diagnostic tells me I can recalibrate the phasor array and use the deflector dish as a tachyon phase modulator, which allows me to create a brief trans-warp field and deposit us on Vulcan

Very appropriate. I wonder how challenging Vulcan MC would be? It'd make our simple little game look childish, I'm sure.

[ 03. July 2013, 11:12: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vulcan probably uses either a grid system based on latitude and longitude or polar coordinates (with 0,0 being the city center) or line name plus numbers for the station (e.g., Northern 4). It is amazing how few cities there are in the future trek (San Francisco being one notable exception). I wonder if Colma will still be active and will use a last gasp trick to get there.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

(Still stuck on those buffers ...)
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Especially if you mean the BART station in California, I'd say it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, which takes us across the universe to Abbey Road and St John's Wood - in good time for the second test.

(whatever happened to Headingley and Edgbaston, not to mention having six tests when playing in England?)

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately a side-effect of my last move is that I'm stuck at a red signal and there is no hope of the train stop dropping, so I can't take two turns in a row even after so many days - control just laugh at me when I ask for authority to reverse.

All I need is for the right person to move, and the junction and signal will clear.

Shipmate
# 76

It's got all bogged down hasn't it?

There's really only one way to lift this game out of its current mire.

Snowdon Summit

That's a Rack and Pinion bonus of course. Bus transfers are at double cost for four segments, but return journeys along the Conwy Valley line are free if that helps.

(Hint - don't do what I did in Llanrwst the other week and try to play a standard gauge time shift across to Barmouth. You end up being up the Afon Mellte without a paddle and have to perform a forfeit of singing Men of Harlech with a leek inserted into you. If your teammates are feeling generous, that is. Otherwise, well, you know...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Penrhyndeudraeth (Cambrian Coast Line) - I think the Explosives Factory has closed, but you must beware that you don't miss the train as it is a Request Stop!
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, a fairly basic move to Enfield Lock and the closed factory where they made the famous rifle.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talking of armouries and such things, is Tower Hill wild on Tuesdays in July? And if not, will it get us out of the current fix?

If it is, obviously I'll miss another turn* ... [Hot and Hormonal]

* or possibly have to go Back To Old Kent Road

[ 10. July 2013, 01:34: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only on Tuesdays with a new moon so you are in luck. I'll send us to Aldershot to continue the trend.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Ha! Woolich Arsenal That will put you in knip if only one ferry is running. [Devil]

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Oi! That knip khurt!
Shipmate
# 76

You lot really do like playing this game the silly buggers way don't you?

But if that's the way you want it:

Cockfosters

(this move of course uses the real Underground map, including the two stations they never dare put on the public maps).

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Mrs. Flittersnoop says Cockfosters as that's where her sister lives (whom she visits on her free Thursday afternoons).

(But we don't have to listen to her if we don't want to).

As you can see we have already been through Cockfosters. I think this is an illegal move as it does not conform to the Humphrey Littleton Circle Line Convention. [Disappointed] It is an old rule but we really should maintain some standards [Roll Eyes]

Willie Rushton's Neasden Circuit is legal however. So it is Neasdon where the birds sing-done.

[ 10. July 2013, 14:19: Message edited by: The Midge ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Which leads us on very nicely to Frank Muir and Dennis Norden's Bal-ham, Gateway to the South.

Of course we're on the Southern Electric now and the voltage is different. Who knows how that may affect us (not to mention the Lack of a Fourth Rail?)

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Hmm. I think we might have to go round in circles for a while, so we might as well do that at Grange Hill and swot up on our rules while we're at it.
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

in which case I had better be quick before KLB gets in!

Mornington Crescent.

So lets start with Marble Arch. There is a risk of the Fool's opening being played before midnight I admit, but I'm willing to give it a punt.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Oh I say, Midge, that was well played! Right up there with the Men's Singles at Wimbledon (not much point in going there for another 50 weeks).

However, I understand there's now a cricket match going on ...

Nottingham

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Fairly close to Gotham but alas no station there. Let's loop back to London under the knitting circle rule and Blackfriars near Barts. Who shall purl now?

--------------------
spinner of webs

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What about Kni(gh)tsbridge?

That's making me feel sheepish already, probably with good reason!

[ 11. July 2013, 07:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

I'll round you up:
Barking.

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I thought of stopping at MOONington Crescent, but perhaps we'd be better with a googly to take us to Covent Garden
Shipmate
# 76

Catford Bridge ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23261505 )

[ 11. July 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Elephant & Castle.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
"They named her Victoria after the central London station where she was found ..."
Do I spy an opportunity for a series of children's books, TV shows to fill in the gap before the early evening news and soft toys?

... with apologies to Paddington. Please look after this bear. Thank you.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Shunt to Goldhawk Road

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Silvertown & London City Airport (closed).
Shipmate
# 76

Good job there's a test match on so you can't be out first ball, isn't it BT?

I think that's a blue chip from your stack to the player on your right. South is now dealer; fours are wild and two jacks highest bid.

Given the question mark hanging over the third umpire after yesterday's - erm - fun and games - I think there's probably a royal flush* to be had by playing Nottingham Victoria. Closed station/tram convention applies, of course. Robin Hood line is spooned.

*female member of the Windsor family going through the menopause?

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Hmmm. So you're the prince of thieves, are you?

A trip to Port Laoise should sort that out.

(for those who don't get it, check your history [Biased] )

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

I am a name not a number.

Portmeirion

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Via Portsmouth we are now able to at least get back onto a tube train at Ryde Pier, but I think it'll take a few more moves to get to the London Underground again.

Extra cover and silly mid-off in place, so assuming nothing at square leg and no-one bowling a googlie (such as Dollis Hill), then there should be a good lasting volley over the next set.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Using this anagram tube map I found Holding Nil. I believe it is a googlie and Hillingdon by any other name.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

You try to drop hints, to steer things in a dynamic direction, but someone always gets creative in the Wrong Way.

Dollis Hill

[Mad]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

No no no no no!!! Not Illish Doll!!!!

Just as well I've got some orange chips that I really want to get rid of ...

Belfast Central should be fun today. [Devil]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

What a terrible waste of Orange Chips in non-peak hours on a Friday. You can't straddle like that without causing a reverse shunt in Zone 1.

So Dollis Hill

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

So if I go to World's End where does that leave you KLB?

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Mornington Crescent I would have thought!

New game - remembering that the intention is to finish at Mornington Crescent, let us play that variant where we start at Mornington Crescent and try to get back there again.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that's relatively straightforward I would have thought. It's Friday and there's no R in the month. I don't have any chips of any colour, therefore my move must be Moor Park.

[ 12. July 2013, 22:16: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

I have one chip of each color so I Bank, give Piglet a royal purple chip, and ante in a brown chip.

--------------------
spinner of webs

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

I had a bag of chips last night. The remains are a bit cold. There is no fish on Saturdays but seeing as I'm early I'll try to get some at Heron Quays

You can have some of my chips if you want them.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Probably a better bet than Mudchute which has presumably all dried into a brown, cracked desert in this hot weather.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... give Piglet a royal purple chip ...
Gosh - thank you! [Smile]

I've always wanted to visit Hampton Court, for which a purple chip is Just The Thing.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

I don't have any purple chips. But now some of mine are turning green. So moving parallel along the Thames to Kew Gardens

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
I don't have any purple chips. But now some of mine are turning green. So moving parallel along the Thames to Kew Gardens

I'll take two of Midge's chips offered earlier and feed them to the ravens even further down the Thames at Tower Hill in exchange I'll give one cardinal red chip and toss a rainbow colored one in the river for whomever can make the right move to claim it (admiralty rules apply).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016