homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The All New Mornington Crescent Show (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The All New Mornington Crescent Show
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sneaky sacrifice, because if I'd collected the rainbow chip it would have been MC in one...

Euston Square might do the trick.

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But since you're now doing a three way straddle, forcing reverse shunts into peak-time platforms and mainline interchanges, the Lyttleton Leap can be played, which of course could force a Dollis Hill Loop, send all counters to Mudchute, or simply allow me to play Mornington Crescent

New game of course in these circumstances normally requires a retention of spoon from the previous chukka, but since we've reached the end of the rubber I suggest we should play Reverse Mornington Crescent, where I start at Mornington Crescent and we play backwards, working out what the previous move must have been until we get to wherever the game would have started if played forwards. Bit of a brain teaser this one; the clue is a simple Times Crossword type: "Green shoots grow, maybe, where brass band came to grief in autumn storm (4,2,2,7)"

Best of luck.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Llih Sillod?

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw what you did there, but we're playing Reverse Mornington Crescent, not Call of Cthulhu.

HOWEVER

I could play Rhylkos but I shan't; I very much doubt this reverse game's start is actually in deep space, so I'm going to play Goodge Street because I think that would have led to a Dollis Hill loop were it not for MC being possible direct.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I have to do is to work out where would be nid from there- Because that is the most likely response. Which is quite difficult because playing backwards there are so many options.

Seeing how players in this match are so fond of the Lyttleton Leap I think that it must have been a parallel shunt from Russell Square

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, that's true, but you have I think forgotten that Russell Square is one of the stations which still have lifts down to the platforms. Clearly the reverse is not true, but can still assume that you must have descended from a station that is well above street level, I suggest Perivale might have been the one although, to be honest, I don't find it the most exciting part of London.

There was that Hawker Hunter jet fighter on the roof of a factory as one drove down the A40 but I understand that's at present indoors, being cleaned. Perhaps the old Hoover Building is more noteworthy; is certainly much closer to the station and you can do your shopping at Tesco's round the back.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely the move before that would have been Kensington Olympia
Shipmate
# 76

It could have been, but couldn't it also have been Harrow and Wealdstone?

Given that the previous (or subsequent, depending on how you look at it) move was Russell Square, wouldn't Kensington Olympia have forced a spoon, which would have made Goodge Street impossible as a precursor to the platform swap and reverse into Llih Sillod, unless of course the ball was still in play and the batsman hadn't played a stroke with the ball within the off stump. I think we have to assume that even with a defender inside the penalty box that would have required an offside move (and a missed turn) and the cueball returning to baulk. So my money's actually on the Harrow and Wealdstone move.

Happily, either move could have been preceded by Watford Metropolitan, but they would both have been bad moves. Either would be a very good move from Worthingtons Originals so that's my play. Sweet as.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

That looks like some one played the West Coast Line trump card, so it could have been anywhere. I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Wait a minute- there is a clue there Sweets as nut maybe? Knutsford could have been the play.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Aha! That's making a lot of sense now. I'd better get in quick because the previous play must have been Caergwrle. Bus links from Abermorddu would have been wild, and Crewe in Nidd.

That would be an obvious ploy to queen a pawn from Rhosllannerchrugog tram stop (dis.)

So I guess the previous move is also pretty obvious.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Wrexham? That last move would only make sense if someone had played the Beeching Block. My Mony is on Carrog which would probably be a response to Owen Glendower's Standard being in play.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha! You have played the Preserved Railways (Great Western Section) Crossing Places card - clearly with a polished brass safety valve bonnet to hand!

That invites - nay, compels us - to go to Williton, thus leaving the entire Trans-Siberian line east of Vladivostok in Knid until at least next Monday (depending on your time zone and what the Commissars will allow).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

BT - we are playing the reverse game, remember?

That means that your apparently forward play counts as a reverse, and despite the bleatings of the Leamington Spa mob about how reverse running on lines built in the steam era should be considered kosher, the fact remains that the official game has never made this distinction, nor seen any need to do so. MC is a simple game with a simple rule-set and it's therefore inappropriate to introduce complicating factors that might make the game less accessible to new players. Not that that would bother the Leamington Spa mob whose average age is about 104 - perhaps it's a form of geriatric elitism?

So, treating your forward move as a reverse means you lose two red chips, the cueball is replaced at Carrog and we're left with the question of where the Owen Glendower move must have originated. My thoughts are that Rhyl or Maesteg would appear to be obvious candidates, but they'd have put the North East in Nidd for four turns which clearly didn't happen, so I'm left concluding that, amazingly, it must have been Aldwych

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Are you absolutely certain it wasn't Strand (eastern tunnel)?

Oh well, in that case the only move which I can imagine brought us there would have been from Monument

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

What a monumentally stupid move that must have been. That could have been in response to a potential fools opening. Evidently the improbability matrix tussle between South End on Sea and the GWR/ and a member Leamington Spa preservation set would be a response to one of Douglas Adam's favourite plays Fenchurch Street.

(Someone missed a turn working out why we like dried leaves boiled in water and how to prevent the shoe event horizon).

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

It's very much looking like the match must be one played under the MCC Ashes Series Variations, which means that it might ultimately have started at Kennington Oval or St John's Wood.

Given that, I think that unless a Forward Defence was in use and all ticket booths closed so forcing use of machines or Oyster cards, then the move previous to that must be Tottenham Court Road

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Moving backward from there in time gives us Oxford Street, however I must say that I think I'm getting out of my depth, which is always a Bad Thing for Baptists ...
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... getting out of my depth, which is always a Bad Thing for Baptists ...

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Not just Baptists, BT. At the moment I'm a Very Confused Anglican - I missed a couple of turns and now I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

However, God and Air Canada willing, at silly o'clock on Monday morning I'll be in the near vicinity of Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3, after which I may miss quite a lot of turns due to computer shortages.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Turing over the top card of the discard pile, I see it is the Angel and I think it was played at this point (hence Heathrow) but to make that move would require Temple to be the previous stop.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

There appear now to be no Nidds or Spoons, and no diagonals built up anywhere. This indicates we're very nearly at the beginning of the game.

Therefore I suspect someone was developing his bishops at this point and the most likely previous station was Westminster. No-one has castled or advanced his knights yet so I think it can only be a move or two away to find the start.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Obviously said Bishops - or at least two of them - had travelled from their seats in other parts of London. St. Paul's is too obvious, so clearly we need to go back to Southwark. (It would be more convenient if there was a station at Borough Market, but even if you pulled the alarm signal and got the train to stop, they wouldn't open the doors for you. Anyway, how would you get down from the viaduct?)
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

On the other hand, I think that Southwark was a reaction to being too far north. The previous move was obviously Tooting Bec
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Which follows on naturally from Honour Oak Park

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm ... whether to follow (or should that be precede?) the "oak" or the "park" aspect of that move will probably get me into such deep water that I'll need BT to get me out of it ... [Big Grin]

I think I'll use the scientific approach:

**Eeny, meeny, miny, mo ...**

St. James's Park it is - spoons and knids be damned!

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think that the Brooke-Taylor convention (always a Goodie, that one) confirms that that must have been the starting station, because I can't think of anywhere one could have got there from given what we already know.

Reading that match in normal order what a smasher it was! Clearly White was right not to enforce the follow-on, while South could have declared on three out of four diagonals and seen the Red Queen out on 35/4 and a run rate of 14 per chukka.

Waterloo

Pull!

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I'm off for some deep extra cover at St John's Wood
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Wicket keeper at Pimlico that will put the batsman in danger of being stumped if they go down pitch on the Jubilee Line. Watch out for them trying to take a boundary on square leg.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

That leaves BT needing snookers. I think there's a possibility of the green going into the left side pocket, but if he misses then not only is the cueball straight into someone's pint, but he's also left needing a snooker on at least the pink.

So I suspect that BT's cue is on the table and he's ordering a pint of Felin Foel.

Which frees me to play a Royal Straight by going to Edinburgh Waverley

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

And I shall drive you round the bend veeeery slowly at Firsby East Junction
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I will try for the polka dot points with Corrour

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Transfer to Fulham Broadway for a quid over £40mil.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I am absolutely hopeless at snooker, and I've used all my chips too.

I think that leaves to the delights of the weekly train to Reddish (South) although I'll have to wait till Saturday for it to appear.

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

As long as you don't mind the rest of us leaving you behind and racing off to Crystal Palace. Time's a-wasting, you know, can't hang around...
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Yes we can if we are Broad minded enough.
Hanger Lane

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I'll see your broad mind and raise you one Broad Street
Shipmate
# 76

This situation arose back in '96 in the Leeds University Dropouts Association quarter-finals. To cut a long story short, the position hinged on the gap between the base led forward carriage line and the split of trump suits through the second discard stack.

As the rules were declared in favour of the Risky variation, the red corner were able to enforce a follow-on and yomp straight out to Bedford St Johns via a closed station joker which of course led to a rapid incursion through Down Street and mate in six moves. However, we're not playing that variation but rather Old Classic Rum, which means that there's a pin on most stations north of Monument. As far as I can see, therefore, the best move is to gain priority via Bank and use a reverse semi-circular parry to allow a point to be scored on target, which takes me to Picadilly Circus

[ 26. July 2013, 11:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

I'll think I'll gin with some beefeaters at Tower Hill. I'll also invoke the deadman hand's rule by cashing in the knave of spades for three black chips which I give to the three previous players.

--------------------
spinner of webs

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I will increase the saturation on the black chips to reveal an image of Old Street

(edited for invalid move!)

[ 29. July 2013, 15:52: Message edited by: AndyB ]

Shipmate
# 76

Hah! Hah! And Yes!

Down Street

[Devil]

Please remember it's a weekday. The clue is "Man who faff about when doors closing at 0815 at Paddington be found as fry-up on live rail by 0900."

--------------------

AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

I will invoke the Dorachon convention to travel to Upminster
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

Ashes moves are disrupted by bad light and heavy showers so I'll take a diagonal shunt to Westminster.

I do believe that the recess spoons all MPs and leaves the rest of us on Zero Hours Contracts with no holiday pay. [Devil] Unless you happen to be Humphrey Littleton's heir. Euro MPs are knid of course.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:
Euro MPs are knid of course.

And so a move to Paddington to baste.

[ 06. August 2013, 14:22: Message edited by: Net Spinster ]

--------------------
spinner of webs

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Goodness, but I've missed a lot of turns. At the moment my nearest station is Colchester, so that'll have to do for now.

--------------------

Von Bingen
Shipmate
# 13902

- Posted      Profile for Von Bingen   Email Von Bingen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haven't been around here in a long time!

But...Taking current events as an inspiration I'm using the Tardis manouvre to go backwards in time to...Brompton Road

Posts: 247 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Pah. Let's take a wee run to Gare d'Orsay
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

Is that match abandoned and I just take a sneaky wee run to MC, avoiding all tokens dropped on the way out the door?
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I think we've been running to a Summer Holiday Timetable or even a Skeleton Service.

Why don't we just assume you've run to Mornington Crescent, walked up the road, had a saunter around Camden Market and are now raring to go.

So: over to you ...

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The sticker peeled off the faded in-car diagram to take us to Blake Hall.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

An even more faded poster (this one) barely clinging to a gas-lit station platform awning tempted us to sample the dubious delights of Winslow Road - if you catch the right train, you can even partake of breakfast in the Metropolitan Railway Pullman Car.

[ 28. August 2013, 12:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... then but a short hop to Princes Risborough

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016