homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Great British Bake-Off 2013 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Great British Bake-Off 2013
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was rooting for Kimberley, but Frances was a worthy winner, certainly her wedding cake was the only one that looked like you might want it at a wedding - I guess there wasn't enough time for fruit cake, but what about pillars?

Think I'm going to have a go at a vegetarian picnic loaf.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Master Chef Professionals starts next week. (I think it's next week, not this week?) Anyone watching that?

Probably. But am I the only one who longs for the good old days when the (original) amateur Masterchef was much more like the Bake-Off - i.e., talented amateurs doing their own stuff in a home kitchen environment? I could live without good old Lloyd G though.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
sigh ruby is gonna win, sigh, the numpty

Shame she didn't.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good result.

Watching the preceding programme, which recapped past year, I felt yet again that they go for certain personality types. Cathryn was last year's Ruby, talented but permanently on the verge of panic or tears. Brendan was last year's Kimberley, consistently good, more reserved than the others and hence seen as smug by some (not me, I loved his bone-dry humour).

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised at how shoddy Ruby and Kimberley's wedding cakes were - the layers on Kimberley's didn't even look even? Frances' was very pretty as well as interesting and I think that sealed her fate. And those marzipan bees again! Now I want a wedding cake with marzipan bees on it.

Frances has been my favourite from early on though, I do love it when she nips off to Planet Frances [Smile] The Chelsea Flour Show looked so delicious.

I DID love the look of Ruby's veggie picnic pie though. To be honest the highlight of GBBO '13 has as always been Mel and 'I've never eaten a nun before' Sue.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A deserving winner. Based on the comments from the judges I think Kimberley would have won if her pie hadn't been so disastrous. Frances won hands down on the wedding cake, it was ideal for her.
Kimberley's cake would have been much better if she had chosen one basic icing technique, like the embossing with shimmer powder overlaid, and then something in a colour to compliment it. As it was it looked untidy. But the inside looked lovely.
Ruby's cake looked awful, her icing wasn't smoothed and her icing cut outs roughly done.

[ 23. October 2013, 18:25: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:

Kimberley's cake would have been much better if she had chosen one basic icing technique,

Although the decoration/finish on her layers were all different the basic icing, as far as I could see was the same - two layers, both of which needed rolling, placing carefully and smoothing (either almond & fondant paste - or did I hear her say fondant and modelling paste?). Both layers would have taken some time to get a good smooth finish. If she had used a more forgiving type of base icing she would have had more time to dress it up for a show-stopping effect.

I'm so glad that Paul & Mary weren't around to judge the Drum Kit wedding cake I made for my son's wedding in the summer - and I spent a lot longer than 6 hours on it. [Eek!]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone read Ruby's piece in The Guardian ?

Sad (but unsurprising) state of affairs.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Sod the haters. I'm going to have my cupcake and eat it, too."

That's such a great line!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was Ruby and Kimberly all the way to the end, but their wedding cakes were shambolic. They had the most natural talent in terms of flavours and good eating,though never as precise and pretty as Frances, who really had a impressive style. But how could they win after such travesties of wedding cakes? Frances' wasn't perfect but Ruby underbaked two entire cakes!! Oh dear oh dear. Ruby sometimes does fall to peices when stressed but that was her worst bake in the series! And Kimberley usually does such original, beautiful pieces I was astonished at the cliched lumps that were her cakes. I can't believe they came from her!

I'd have prefered to ignore the wedding cake challenge alltogether and give the prize to Ruby for her performance throughout the series. When taken as a whole she was head and shoulders above Frances, despite her messiness and imprecision in finishing. But Frances was better right at the end so I suppose she had to take it, no matter Ruby's previous brilliance.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Impressive piece of writing, though, compared with that final cake.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Impressive piece of writing, though, compared with that final cake.
"Janet and John at School" would be impressive compared with that final cake....

It was a shambles, wasn't it?

I wasn't that surprised by Ruby's meltdown - you always had the impression that her genius had a fragility that might let her down at the key moment. But I was surprised at Kimberley. She hasn't been the most visually stunning, but her creations were usually well executed. She made two big blunders in the final. The picnic pie was a disaster waiting to happen, especially when you saw how Frances and Ruby had gone to such lengths to ensure that their pastry stayed crisp and dry. How someone of Kimberley's obvious talent could have made that mistake astounds me. And then her wedding cake was so.... DULL. It may have tasted fantastic, but surely she knew that it had to be visually good as well, especially when she knew that Frances was bound to produce something great to look at.

If she had avoided just one of those blunders, I think she would have won.

But nothing should be taken away from Frances. She delivered in spades when she had to. And perhaps more importantly, as the judges made clear, she was the one who showed that she had learned and grown as a baker over the course of the contest.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016