homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » T-shirt slogans (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: T-shirt slogans
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twenty years ago, at the time of a further step change in the development of the EU, I knew a rather posh old chap who had one made saying "Europe Won't Work"- although as he explained 'I actually wanted one saying "Bollocks to Maastricht" but it seemed a little rude to ask the girl in the shop for that'.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two I really like, one reads, "Genius by Birth, Slacker by Choice," and the other, "The Force Is Strong In This One"

My buddy had one that his wife made him get ride of. It was bright yellow with the words "Ask me about my cock" printed on the front. When asked, you could pull the front of the shirt up over your face to display a graphic of a rooster. For some reason, his wife didn't not find this at all amusing...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I sorry about those tangents - all I got was the Potholing Club - but I did briefly note that they work with people who need to be worked with (can't be more specific, as I can't remember exactly - think they were young, though), and it occurs to me that they may have been hacked internally.

When I first came across the name, it wasn't attached to anything IRL at all.

Just double checked - got GSPC again - they work with people like the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme*, so can't be that bad. (*Or so they say.)

[ 26. August 2013, 13:00: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Triple checked - using the links within the thread rather than my history drop down - still the come unto these yellow sands one. I'm in IE at the moment.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Triple checked - using the links within the thread rather than my history drop down - still the come unto these yellow sands one. I'm in IE at the moment.

I wouldn't fret about it. It may have been a DNS hack which was extant for a brief time but has now been detected.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw one today which read 'Judge me solely on my size, will you?', which I liked very much.

Fortunately, the nearby church youth group 'Up4it' didn't get any t-shirts printed....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have two of my favourite t-shirts from my university days: Flash Architect from when I was an architecture student and Kamana Wanna Lei U which I wore in a photograph taken at a Hawaiian night club surrounded by seven girls!

They still exist because I never wear them as well as my Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon tour shirt.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In honour of the people who were annoyed by the rather unlikely first-night headliner at Cropredy "folk" festival this year, the Knotweed and I made T-shirts with "Alice? Alice? Who the folk is Alice?" on the front and "Irk the purists" on the back.

They went very well, especially with Alice's fans!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got one with Oscar Wilde's words: "I have nothing to declare but my genius." And another I bought at the Great British Beer Festival years ago which says, "I used to drink Lager but I'm Bitter now." Predictably it's tighter than it was.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Many years ago at a union conference I saw a young woman wearing a Tee with the slogan:

"How dare you presume I'm heterosexual"

There are also a few round Newport that say:

"Come to Newport. We've got a trannie"

A number of years ago I had a t-shirt that said, in bold letters, several inches tall: "Nobody Knows I'm a Lesbian!" LOL. Got some strange looks from people and much laughter.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once saw a t-shirt with this printed on it:

"Duck Fiabetes!"

I sooooooo want this!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
In honour of the people who were annoyed by the rather unlikely first-night headliner at Cropredy "folk" festival this year, the Knotweed and I made T-shirts with "Alice? Alice? Who the folk is Alice?" on the front and "Irk the purists" on the back.

They went very well, especially with Alice's fans!

AG

[Tangent]

Reminds me of the (alleged) Louis Armstrong quote: "Folk music? All music is folk music. I ain't never heard nuthin' by a horse."

[/Tangent]

edit: tangential nature of post, but it would make a fair Tee-shirt slogan too.

[ 28. August 2013, 12:03: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A clerical friend does his gardening in a Quick, look busy, Jesus is coming T-shirt [Snigger]

As for the Alice furore, just quote the old musical hall favourite Alice, where art thou? [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite (don't have it, unfortunately) is:

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
those who understand binary
and those who don't"

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
In honour of the people who were annoyed by the rather unlikely first-night headliner at Cropredy "folk" festival this year, the Knotweed and I made T-shirts with "Alice? Alice? Who the folk is Alice?"
AG

If I am not sober, the band sings the original chorus and my lovely bride drives us back to the house.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My brother-in-law needed a new T-shirt when he was in hospital, and I trekked round the whole of Bluewater (mall) trying to find something appropriate before getting him the Wilde one about nothing but genius. My nieces chose it for him to wear for his funeral. They liked the idea of him turning up at the Pearly Gates with it on.

Someone wrote to me the other day with a quote which would make a good T-shirt. "Smile, it could be worse" on the front, "So I did, and it was" on the back.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fancy owning a t-shirt with

TEESH
IRT

as a very small logo, top right, hopefully made out of Scrabble tiles.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Young Man bought me a tshirt at a wrestling event he went to. It says "Real Women Drink Beer" and I wore it to the Great British Beer Festival.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:

and those who don't"

and on that note: Think Geek T-shirts There's a sale on at the moment to mark the week that Skynet becomes selfaware! Beware humans.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

and those who don't"

and on that note: Think Geek T-shirts There's a sale on at the moment to mark the week that Skynet becomes selfaware! Beware humans.
I have this one, as well as the portion of the Bayeaux Tapestry which contains the TARDIS.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one I want to get for my 20 yo son for Christmas that says, "You've read my T-Shirt. That's enough social interaction for today."

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The undergrad philosophy club when I was in college had a t-shirt that said,

Sure, it works in practice, but will it work in theory?

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
I'd like a tee with the slogan once proposed here:
'It's all fun and games until someone attempts to imminentise* the Eschaton.' [Big Grin]

*had several goes at spelling this - still doesn't look right.

I fondly remember that quote! Who said it, I wonder?

(It would be immanentize or immanentise, depending on your nationality.)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I don't know whether 'I [heart]s NP' (if you can picture that) ever made it onto a T shirt.

I have seen one or two, but as it's very close to the original, trademark lawyers for NY would probably come down like a ton of bricks on any sold in stores.

(And even as a native, I'm not sure I would wear one outside NP19 and NP20!)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a nice one recently.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS NO MATCH
FOR NATURAL STUPIDITY

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I don't know whether 'I [heart]s NP' (if you can picture that) ever made it onto a T shirt.

I have seen one or two, but as it's very close to the original, trademark lawyers for NY would probably come down like a ton of bricks on any sold in stores.

(And even as a native, I'm not sure I would wear one outside NP19 and NP20!)

I can think of any number of people who would wear it in Cardiff, just to put one over on the "Big City" types.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:

There are plenty of I (heart) SF t-shirts that are identical to the NY design (except for the change in letters).

I preferred one I saw in a shop window in Berkeley: "I can't afford to (heart) SF" - although that would probably only feed into some San Franciscans' smugness. (NB I said "some".)

(Edited to remove extraneous quotation)

[ 06. September 2013, 20:16: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
"So many cats - so few good recipes"

A man after my own heart. [Snigger]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I got was this stupid F shirt

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw one at Greenbelt the other weekend which I liked: "My other body is a temple".

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years, until it wore out, I wore a tshirt, designed by my University residence association which showed a fellow making a sour face. The caption read:

Noli urinare in ventum*

*which, being translated, reads rather more politely

Don't piss against the wind

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good friend of mine has one which reads:
"Jesus is coming soon.....Look busy"

He delights in wearing it in a variety of situations and has ended up with some interesting reactions, especially in churches!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One is saw which I admired hugely: on the lines of

CHAOS
CONFUSION
DESPAIR
My work is done

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
A good friend of mine has one which reads:
"Jesus is coming soon.....Look busy"

He delights in wearing it in a variety of situations and has ended up with some interesting reactions, especially in churches!

There's also
'Jesus is coming ……hide your bong!'
[Snigger]
and also
'I found Jesus -- he was hiding behind the sofa.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted to get my son - an International Politics student -

'I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize'

but am now saving up to get Future Son-In-Law one which simply reads

YES DEAR

The secret to a happy marriage!

Mr. S wants one that reads

'Will mend computers for carrot cake'

though I prefer him to be paid in wine. [Devil]

Mrs. S, ever hopeful

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts about t-shirt slogans in a nutshell...

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=BOH-IBOUGHT&Category_Code=023

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two shirts, but

My twins have:

Good Twin or Evil Twin
?

Which, when they wear them at the same time can be entertaining...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Peter Green
Apprentice
# 17839

- Posted      Profile for Peter Green   Email Peter Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like a tee with one of these slogans:
"I just pegged you, this is crazy."
"Kick me, maybe?"
"Daddy's Fastest"
"Don't want me, yet? Have another drink?"
"I support single moms"

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seen in Dolgellau, N Wales, c 2005:

On front: Byddwch yn ddiogel ar y ffyrdd... ( =be safe on the roads)
On back: ...Prynwch tractor ( = buy a tractor)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Signals catalog:

I have an inferiority complex, but yours is better.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

and those who don't"

On a related note:

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016