homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Isn't 1st September a depressing date? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Isn't 1st September a depressing date?
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or is it just me.

Feels like the end of summer. I know it's not autumn officially until 21st or 22nd September.

But today's date hangs heavily on the heart.

I thought of posting this in heaven....then realised not.

Then I thought of Hell....and realised that wasn't the place to seek good cheer.

Can anyone offer cheering words?

[ 01. September 2013, 12:59: Message edited by: would love to belong ]

Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah but there's so much that's good about autumn! Crisp leaves to step on and crunch, unexpectedly warm days that you just *have* to take advantage of, life starts back up again after the summer lull. I know people who feel like New Year should be in September, because that's when term re-started and all the potential that contains (not me, we went back to school in August). The year's not done yet, the best could still be yet to come.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't 1st September a depressing date?
Fuck no.

Fly safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found autumn to be the loveliest, and least depressing, season of the year.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a shame this isn't in heaven, because that might be fun ...

As a serious A-S proposition thought ...thinking locally (UK) it's been a great summer. And it still is lovely; crisp cusp-of-autumn mornings, warm days. I just walked by the river, and there seem to be a lot of people out there managing to enjoy the day - some in family groups, some couples, a lot of people solo, and most with a smile or a passing friendly word.

Globally, I think 11th probably hangs more heavily on more hearts, so unless 1st is the anniversary of something bad for you, or there is something about the month-turn that has brought on real depression - in which case you have my sympathy and prayers - I'm thinking you may have to suck this one up.

Of course, if you were to go post something similar in hell, say around midnight, you could guarantee that September 2nd would be much, much worse. [Biased]

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've no particular dread of any particular date but I find Tuesdays pointless and boring. No particular Tuesday, all of them.

It could date back to my childhood when we had a regular seven-days-a-week menu with little variation; Tuesday was always uncertain for while there would often be leftovers from Sunday's roast, on other occasions Mum would try to economise with unfortunate results. Dad and I implored her to do 'Tatties in the tin' (sliced potatoes, streaky bacon & sliced onion with Bisto gravy, baked in the oven) which satisfied appetites then and now but she persisted with sub-exotic concoctions recommended by Woman's Realm or some such.

Nowadays there's crap on TV, and only recently have we had football on Tuesday. The pubs never seem to be doing much, because it's mine host's traditional day off, and when the regular highlight in many towns is 'Steak Club' at Weatherspoons, it's a pretty dull day.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it used to be depressing because we (staff) had to go back into school for staff meetings and stuff.

It was bad enough being bombarded with reminders for weeks before from shops proclaiming 'back to school.'

Now that I am retired, I love September 1st. It reminds me that I can get up late, have a cooked breakfast and read the paper and not bother to get dressed until noon.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and not bother to get dressed until noon
Oh Jesus. Did you have to?

Fly Safe Pyx_e

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by would love to belong:
Or is it just me.

It's just you.

The weather is still good, the countryside is looking wonderful at that lovely crossover between summer and autumn, when the land is still rich with abundant green vegetation, summer flowers, wildflowers and the first few brown leaves, but the fields are golden with harvest and bales of straw. The children are almost back to school, and once they go I can have the holidays I've been planning.

September is the start of the season of funfairs, the bright, gaudy glitter of lights, the thump of over-loud music, the smell of frying onions and hot dogs, to be eaten as you wander through the fair looking at the stalls with their variety of wonderfully tacky, mostly unwinnable prizes. Excited children with their parents, young people screaming in mingled pleasure and fear on the more heartstopping rides, and coming away giggling; the excitement and pulse of life as a very old tradition is renewed again with its current modern flavour.

And there's the fun of bringing back a bag of sweets or fairings, a toffee apple, sweet and crunchy and bright red, or a hairy coconut that everyone struggles to break.

September is also about the pleasure of blackberrying, and coming home with fingers stained purple, and a bag full of luscious, slightly tart fruit, to be made into pies or crumbles. Autumn is never properly autumn without blackberry crumble, for me.

It's the most beautiful time of year - the most poignant, the loveliest. You can have February instead - Christmas is only a distant memory, Easter is a way off, the weather's lousy and the palette of the land is monochrome, all whites and pearls and dark colours, day after day after day, until the appearance of the first yellow wildflowers towards the end. February is about endurance. September is about enjoying the good things, and sometimes, also being surprised by an Indian summer.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree about February. Like twenty-eight Tuesdays one after another (twenty-nine in a bad year) and it's foggy and damp.

Might as well w*rk.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September means the Christmas displays will be up in the shops soon. Only one month to go.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September has never really been a problem for me, a lovely month, but when I lived in UK I hated November and February - in the 1980s I worked in care of the elderly and they were the worst months for both morbidity and mortality. February must surely qualify as the longest 28 days of the year.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been gleefully buying waterproof trousers and seal skin socks for wet weather winter doggy walks.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This weekend is "Labor Day weekend" in the U.S. It rarely has anything to do with labor anymore, but it does mark the end of summer.

Here in Arizona, it means that soon (I hope!) we'll be able to go outdoors again without roasting in the heat. The end of summer is a good thing.

It also means that activities will pick up. Concerts, plays, etc., pretty much shut down in the summer. Starting next weekend things really pick up.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September 1st reminds me that it is 14 weeks to my winter home. [Yipee]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's autumn when it feels like autumn. Why be told what to think by a calendar? If you don't like '1st September', what about 10th Shahrivar? 15th Fructidor? Geng-Shen Geng-Wu?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add me to the list of Septemberlovers. Yes, the first Monday is the "official end of summer" in the States, but school always started for me in mid-August, so "free time" summer was already over, and "dear Lord it's hot" summer couldn't be over fast enough. September means state, county, and town fairs (heck, even the Renfest), with disgusting, artery-clogging goodness your heart only lets you have once a year, but your soul insists on having at least twice. It's also the start of reasonable bike riding weather, now that the heat's started to break, which means that I can finally get back to doing metrics and centuries again after the three-month break; only fools ride unsupported all day when it's forecast to hit 105º, heat index of Hellº.
Leaves, sorry to say, aren't until October at the earliest, usually November. Ditto corduroy and tweed jacket weather. That's the best of all.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love September! School starts (and I'm a teacher...) and fresh projects begin or cry out to be started. I love buying new stationary and clean new pages and sharp pencils [Yipee] and I don't usually indulge myself by saying so.
so thanks.

And find yourself a big sheet of paper, and paint swirls on it. Autumnal colours? or buy an academic diary and notice that today can be the first day of your year.

and plan something nice.
[Smile]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I've no particular dread of any particular date but I find Tuesdays pointless and boring. No particular Tuesday, all of them.

It could date back to my childhood when we had a regular seven-days-a-week menu with little variation; Tuesday was always uncertain for while there would often be leftovers from Sunday's roast, on other occasions Mum would try to economise with unfortunate results. Dad and I implored her to do 'Tatties in the tin' (sliced potatoes, streaky bacon & sliced onion with Bisto gravy, baked in the oven) which satisfied appetites then and now but she persisted with sub-exotic concoctions recommended by Woman's Realm or some such.

Nowadays there's crap on TV, and only recently have we had football on Tuesday. The pubs never seem to be doing much, because it's mine host's traditional day off, and when the regular highlight in many towns is 'Steak Club' at Weatherspoons, it's a pretty dull day.

Hi Sioni, I can relate to what you say. Just looking at your profile, I realise that not only do we share a birthday (21 September) but also the same year of birth. It was a Saturday, by the way. Which is what it is this year.
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

Feeling cheered up reading about the various delights of September.

I love black berry picking. Except we pick brambles here in Scotland.

The weather feels particulaly late autumnal here today. The nights are fair drawing in too.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
and not bother to get dressed until noon
Oh Jesus. Did you have to?

Fly Safe Pyx_e

I DO have a dressing gown!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love September too, and was heartily cheered when the TV weatherman proclaimed that today is the meteorological start of autumn [Yipee] , my favourite season.

Today was glorious, bright sun with a refreshing breeze. Blackberries in abundance, sweating heat of summer over and done, thoughts turning to rehearsing for Advent... what's not to love? [Cool]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September first in the American Southwest means that it's time to buy another year's supply of roasted green chiles. Getting them ready to freeze is a half day task, but the smells are incredible, and the thought of green chile all winter takes some sting away from the end of summer.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also love September- but then its my birthday and wedding anniversary month and we usually have a couple of weeks holiday. looking forward to what promises to be a wonderful autumn this year [Yipee]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love September - usually still fairly warm and sunny , but without the burning heat of high summer. It's like summer, but better [Smile] Crisp, cold, sunny autumn and winter days are the best though.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight's Sunset. What's not to like?!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

quote:
quote:
Fuck no.

Fly safe, Pyx_e

Is swearing necessary to get your point across?

Could you not have said (eg) "I disagree strongly"

Are expletives not reserved for Hell anyway?

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How to Win Friends and Influence People. Chapter 6, Lesson 2.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It means that, thankfully for me, the students will soon be back, so there will be more people closer to me in age and more social activities. Yes it will be messier and noisier, but I don't have young children so these things affect me less.

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Fuck no.

Fly safe, Pyx_e

Is swearing necessary to get your point across?

Could you not have said (eg) "I disagree strongly"

Are expletives not reserved for Hell anyway?

Pyx_e can say what he damn well pleases.

And no, there are no Hell-only words. There are only the words which best express what you want to say.

Firenze
All Saints Host and Linguistic Guerrilla

[ 01. September 2013, 20:41: Message edited by: Firenze ]

would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

Fucking hell.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at this end of the world Soring is almost upon us, although we have been enjoying daffodils. lambs and seal pups for some weeks now. My favourite sign is that the hours of daylight are increasing [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Fucking hell.

So no more junior hosting? Good lad.

Firenze
AS Host

would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

What's a junior host then?
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Tonight's Sunset. What's not to like?!

Nice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Fucking hell.

I LoLed.

Happy Autumn and welcome to the Dark Side.

Pyx_e

--------------------

would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

Carry on laughing.

The dark side of what.

So inclusive.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

So. September. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. Close bosom friend of the maturing sun.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
September means state, county, and town fairs (heck, even the Renfest), with disgusting, artery-clogging goodness your heart only lets you have once a year, but your soul insists on having at least twice.

Unfortunately the agricultural fairs around here are held during the summer. I love agricultural fairs, but I hate heat even more. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love autumn.

It has been really hot today here in London. I got sunburned yesterday!

Personally I hate summer with a passion. I can't bear heat, and having no energy to do anything. Our flat is a constant 30 degrees and we have fans going day and night.

Bring on cool, crisp, sunny autumn days with gorgeous colours. Cosy nights kniting and listening to audiobooks. Home made casseroles bubbling in the oven.

And best of all, Christmas still to come!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Boston-land (especially in Allston, where I work for a property management outfit that mostly specializes in the student market), September first is the great musical apartments day, where one hopes that the music won't stop, leaving some hapless set of roommates on the sidewalk with their furniture..

cheers - Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love September. I love every month, actually. each for it's own special gift it brings.

Except February. February sucks ass. Nothing good ever happens in February. the only good February I ever had was totally on vacation in Hawaii. the only way to power through MFing February.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
... Nothing good ever happens in February ...

As someone who was born in February, I beg to differ.*

I love September - autumn here is far and away my favourite season. The horrid heat and humidity of summer is receding, and the trees will soon begin to put on their autumn colours.

Bring it on! [Smile]

* although I must confess that apart from that it's a bit crap ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
September first in the American Southwest means that it's time to buy another year's supply of roasted green chiles. Getting them ready to freeze is a half day task, but the smells are incredible, and the thought of green chile all winter takes some sting away from the end of summer.

YES.
Oh Sweet Jesus, Thank You for sharing this sign of Your love for us, the green chile, with us sinners who are unworthy to receive it. Green chiles are a clear refutation of Pelagius; no human being could ever do enough good works to be worthy of a lovely plate of chiles rellenos drowned in green chile (nor carne adovada stuffed sopapillas), but, by grace and grace alone, we are able to partake of such signs of Divine Grace.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First day of spring. Also, this year, Father's Day. The sun was shining all day. My brother-in-law roasted pork on his fabulous Weber barbeque. My sister made a delicious mushroom salad. I brought the wine (Dad brought a bottle too), as well as some cheese and pate for before lunch. Later on we had brewed coffee and banana cake. We looked at photos from my sister's family's trip (first time the kids had been skiing) and Mum's recent trip to Europe.

Yeah. It sucked.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

YES.
Oh Sweet Jesus, Thank You for sharing this sign of Your love for us, the green chile, with us sinners who are unworthy to receive it. Green chiles are a clear refutation of Pelagius; no human being could ever do enough good works to be worthy of a lovely plate of chiles rellenos drowned in green chile (nor carne adovada stuffed sopapillas), but, by grace and grace alone, we are able to partake of such signs of Divine Grace.

I hate you guys.

Og, trade you for salmon? spent a week smoking.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
First day of spring. Also, this year, Father's Day. The sun was shining all day. My brother-in-law roasted pork on his fabulous Weber barbeque. My sister made a delicious mushroom salad. I brought the wine (Dad brought a bottle too), as well as some cheese and pate for before lunch. Later on we had brewed coffee and banana cake. We looked at photos from my sister's family's trip (first time the kids had been skiing) and Mum's recent trip to Europe.

Yeah. It sucked.

The whole "first day of spring" thing was ruined here in Adelaide by a couple of wonderful mild 24° to 25° days coming in the last days before the official beginning of spring, when up to 31 August is still supposed to be winter.

Damn global warming giving us nice weather too early.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
...spent a week smoking.

Smoking what?

[Razz]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Conway Twitty's birthday!

Well, it is!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

is he still alive?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016