homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Isn't 1st September a depressing date? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Isn't 1st September a depressing date?
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love September, and every other month too except February (I'm with you there, Comet). But it's the 1st of any month that panics me - where did the last month go [Eek!]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
February here is the best month. It aways seems silly that the children go back to school after their Christmas break in early February.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sept 1st is new year's day for UK Methodists. The day when all the newly relocated ministers officially start work. A new year and new potentials etc etc

However it also means the new year paperchase looms - end of year accounts, property forms, annual reports.

So mixed emotions

(I find Jan as bad as Feb but then it is the time of the year when the depression clouds gather most thickly)

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
February here is the best month. It aways seems silly that the children go back to school after their Christmas break in early February.

Huia

I visited NZ in February in 2006 and had a great month of weather. I actually dont mind Feb here. Short month and the days are lengthening. This year we had a week of bright and sunny weather around the 25th Feb. March was much worde weather wise.
Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
February is yukky. Hot, exceedingly humid, and the party that is January is over and people are back to work or school in the oppressive heat and general stickiness.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Except February. February sucks ass. Nothing good ever happens in February.

I thought that was NoVember.
(No sun, no moon, no morn, no noon, etc.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's simple.

Dry, roads warm, God is good.

Wet, roads cold, I have been bad and God is punishing me.

Months, days, meh.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love February. The days start lengthening at the end of December, but it's February when you really start noticing everything getting lighter. The snowdrops and aconites start coming through then. February has more of a "start the year" feel than January IMO.

It's the only month which sometimes gives you a bonus day.

It was my beloved grandmother's favourite month; she was born in February, married in February and, consequently had all the big anniversary celebrations up to and including their 60th wedding anniversary in February. Plus she just managed to squeeze in dying in February, on the 29th.

I met my husband in February, we married in February (on my grandparents 57th wedding anniversary, which was pretty awesome!) and our first child was born in February (not the same February as our wedding!!)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
February is great - much less miserable than January! Even if it's cold, you know it's not long till proper springtime (where I live, anyway)
Well, I'm biased, but then it is my birthday month. But what about Pancake Day? Surely that's worth celebrating? Sometimes it's even on my birthday!

November is miserable though. Grey and Orrible.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I like November. November is fog and cold and the warmth and light of a cosy home after you’ve had a long cold journey. November is toasted somethings (hot buttered toast, crumpets, muffins with butter melting into them), and venison, and pheasant, and rich, savoury casseroles, and hot baked potatoes, and thick calorific puddings. November is scarves, woolly hats, and the thick sweaters you can’t wear earlier in the year as that crisp wind whistles around your ears and stings your face into life. It’s Advent and the run-up to Christmas (but no hurry yet), with lights proliferating in the darkness, and plenty of reminders of the journey of the magi.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Autumn means river mists, making the mundane magical.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I love February. The days start lengthening at the end of December, but it's February when you really start noticing everything getting lighter. The snowdrops and aconites start coming through then. February has more of a "start the year" feel than January IMO.

Another February supporter here! [a] It is often more springlike than we expect. [b] it's two to three days shorter than other months which seems to make more of a difference than it should, and [c] the nights are getting lighter rather than darker. I love autumn apart from the dark nights.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
February contains snowdrops and my birthday, it is therefore awesome.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I am feeling a mild sense of schadenfreude about September. After two whole months of holidays my boyfriend (who is a schoolteacher) FINALLY has to get up in the morning and go to work like I have been doing for the past month. [Snigger]

(Actually he's been off work considerably longer than that but the first six weeks were sick leave which I think he would have preferred to do without.)

Apart from that, I love Paris in September. The mornings aren't too dark yet, it's still pretty warm but not excessively hot with just a bit of a nip in the air, perfect for walking about. All the people are back (in August all the Parisians leave on a mass exodus to the South) and it feels very purposeful.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September is making applesauce, and switching mid-month from cold to hot breakfast, and the beautiful light when the sun starts setting earlier. And it's watching for the leaves to start turning, and feeling more comfortable because it's getting cooler.

There is a bit of me that feels a bit sad, when we switch into fall, but there's a lot of beauty there too. I think the trick is to find the nice things about every part of the year--summer is louder, I think, in its offerings, but September and fall have some lovely things to give us.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September. Fewer passengers on the trains I get to work, and more carriages to hold them. Result!

Also often the best weather of the year for being outdoors in, though October might be the very best. (May is good in a different way)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pluses: as Huia says, the days are getting longer and sunnier, the spring flowers are bursting out all over, and lambs are sproinging around paddocks. I can get into the garden without ending up knee deep in mud, and go for a walk in the light after work. My boss's seasonal affective disorder is lifting (a massive plus) and I'm enjoying my long drives over the Rimutaka hill for work, something that is often sheer terror in the winter.

Minuses: this is the worst early spring I can remember for pollen, so I'm wheezing madly (off to the doctor for steroids in half an hour). I came out of work yesterday to discover the car had a coating of yellow thickly applied.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarification: is September the antipodean equivalent of March or February?

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Silly question really: I should be able to work it out. March!

--------------------

would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think March, because the vernal/autumnal equinoxes (spelling?) occur in March and September
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

Sorry for the crosspost
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
really love all the different ways we experience different months! [Big Grin]

February for me doesn't mean snow drops - unless it's actually snow dropping off the roof onto your head. it's when winter has gone long enough that I'M OVER IT but not enough light has come back to give us that sunny-snowy spring-drunk thing that happens in March. it's after the holidays but before the dog racing and skiing season really gets going. to me, February is a long PAAAAAAUSE between the snuggle-down coziness of winter and the active craziness of prespring.

I love November. Not a lot of Alaskans would agree with me, I admit. that's when our temperatures start hitting rock bottom, and some of our most epic snowdumps happen. to me, this means frolicking in the snow but to many, I'll admit, it just means never-ending shovel time. I feel THAT dynamic in February, too.

but the best part of November to me is that I'm DONE with the busy-ness of autumn. All fish caught and processed, all wood put up, meat and berries and garden crop in the freezer, summer jobs shut down. November is when I build a nice fire, make a huge pot of stew, and curl up by a window to watch the snow fall and just RELAX.

(full disclosure: November also means BIRTHDAY!)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

What latitude are you at Comet and what are the daylight hours at their shortest? I think Iceland has max 2hours of daylight, not even worthwhile playing about with the clocks as its immaterial whether the extra light is before or after.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
It's Conway Twitty's birthday!

Well, it is!

I can't help thinking you went for a non-weather comment because the Bay Area basically doesn't have seasons. Been there in December, been there in July, much the same really.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Sept 1st is new year's day for UK Methodists.

It is for the Plot™ as well. The cycle of fixed feasts and fasts begins anew, and once again we will tell the story of our salvation by reflecting on and celebrating the events in the lives of our Lord, his family, and his closest associates.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love September. It is my favorite month. I hate summer heat so September means relief is on the way. The garden is full of produce. I think the main reason I like September it feels like a new year is starting so I have all kinds of plans bubbling in my head. No doubt this has to do from when I returned to a new school year.
I say WELCOME September. [Overused]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by would love to belong:
What latitude are you at Comet and what are the daylight hours at their shortest? I think Iceland has max 2hours of daylight, not even worthwhile playing about with the clocks as its immaterial whether the extra light is before or after.

currently 59+, 60 is at the border and I'm 44 miles south of that. it's terribly southerly for me. [Biased]

I just moved from 62, which is where I also spent most of my childhood, and I've also lived for ten years at 65 and one year at 70.

daylight here is (for me) really mellow. I don't know the times, but midwinter it's dark until maybe 9:30 am and gets dark again around 5pm(?) (Haven't lived here in 11 years, I don't remember exactly, just moved back in june). when I lived in FBX (65) it was about 3 hours of daylight midwinter (this is roughly equivalent to Reykjavik), and at 70 (Pt. Lay) we had a few weeks of no sunrise at all.

in all, I find it adjustable. but I grew up in this stuff, for me it's normal. as someone said up thread, it is worth it for the manic, crazy sun summers!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

(so awesome living with a naturalist)
So... Yesterday's photoperiod was 14 hours, 2 minutes. Midwinter here is 6 hours. At 62, it's a little over 4 at solstice. Where I lived at 65, solstice was just shy of four hours. And again, at 70 it was around a month with no sunrise at all. That doesnt mean no daylight- just sorta twilightish on the south horizon.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spring is springing out all over, where I live in Australia.... Eastern Victoria. Snow in the mountains still, so it is still chilly at times, but flowers, and sunshine, and dear little lambs and calves.
We just had a picnic lunch down by the Snowy River. Coldish, but touches of spring everywhere. And the sky and the river so blue!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, September 1 just brings out an atavistic urge to buy a pencil case, get some new jeans (and wait for my Mother to do the cuffs), a few shirts from the bargain bin, and if I'm lucky, some new pants and socks.

Depression is when the snow settles in. And that's a moveable date.

Why is this in All Saints?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September 1 was a summers day here, and good for a BBQ. We had a fortnight of spring in late August and Sept 1 forbodes a scorching summer.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
To me, September 1 just brings out an atavistic urge to buy a pencil case, get some new jeans (and wait for my Mother to do the cuffs), a few shirts from the bargain bin, and if I'm lucky, some new pants and socks.

Oh heck, have I started a thread on the wrong Board again? My apologies.

I thought the title wasn't appropriate for Heaven. And I didn't want to open myself to abuse on Hell. Obviously not a Purgatory thread, so I settled for All Saints.

The replies are generally very positive for 1 September, and September in general so maybe this should be moved to Heaven.

Oh gawd, hope I won't get into trouble again for junior hosting....

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the Other Hemisphere™, as I do, I find the 9th September a particularly powerful date, It is the last day of the year you can express in four digits (9/9/13 no matter which methodology you use). For us in the wondrous hemisphere it heralds the birth of hope: soon the days will get warmer, life will begin to massage the human soul, and the memories of surf and sand will return (albeit the water a little cold as yet).

But I am ahead of myself ... I have still a few weeks in the tropics, and while the date is cute it will remain only one more moment in the slitheration from Dry Season to merciless Build-Up, when sweat pours from every pore and Graham Greene gets it so so right.

And crocodiles infest every friggin' litre of unprocessed water.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by would love to belong:
quote:

Oh heck, have I started a thread on the wrong Board again? My apologies.

I thought the title wasn't appropriate for Heaven. And I didn't want to open myself to abuse on Hell. Obviously not a Purgatory thread, so I settled for All Saints.

The replies are generally very positive for 1 September, and September in general so maybe this should be moved to Heaven.

Oh gawd, hope I won't get into trouble again for junior hosting....

No worries, would love to belong, you started it as an AS thread and it had the potential to go that way but seems to have headed in a more Heavenly direction, through no fault of yours. I shall consult behind the scenes...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Spring and Autumn equally followed by Winter and at the bottom is Summer. Sunny days and cool nights and changes in trees, flowers and produce are a constant delight to me. Winter has its own magic where one can snuggle up indoors and gaze out the window at the power of fierce weather. Summer is tedious, days are too long, it is stinking hot, can't sleep due to heat and everyone seems tired and grumpy.I'm really enjoying this Spring following heavy refreshing rain - the magnolia is in full bloom and there is the wonderful scent of daphne and narcissus in the garden.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hold on to your hats, folks - this thread is off to Heaven.

WW
AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.
--from You've Got Mail

I love September. The best hiking weather (leaving in a couple of hours for a hiking trip!), cooking soups and casseroles, getting out sweaters for cool mornings, the smell of a golden southern Ontario late-summer meadow baked in afternoon warmth and then freshened with evening rain.

I miss the return to school, now that my kids are finished with it, and now I look for a new project to take on each fall--something requiring notebooks and pencils that will take me to libraries. And then there's always the return to choir practice.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, all of the above has reminded me of Beatrice Lillie singing 'I Hate Spring' and also of 'April in Fairbanks,' which may have been from 'New Faces.
Why? [Confused]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother passed away on a 1st September, already a couple of years ago. Every year on that day we give grace to God for her life.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like September. Sept 2 is my birthday. Sept 3 is my sisters birthday. It also marks the beginning of fall which is my favorite season. The North West fall is just the start of a mild chill and the long rain. In New England you'd have the leaves change color and die and the beginning of real cold.

The beginning of September breaks the heat of August (not that there was much this year) but still is having the bounty of the short agricultural season. Berries, peaches, melons, squashes, peppers and tomatoes with flavor. All too soon we'll be left with potatoes, cabbages pumpkins and mushrooms and apples as the local provender. All good, but not as sweet as now.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I like September. Sept 2 is my birthday. Sept 3 is my sisters birthday.

Clearly, your parents preferred December.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it doesn't snow here, it seems we only have two seasons: dunno if they are summer and autumn or summer and winter - it is often over forty in summer and rarely under ten in the winter. I am looking forward to October!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We often have fine weather in early September . Not as hot as high Summer. In the traditional cycle of the dairy farming year September was usually regarded as an easier month.

So apart from those memories of the return to school , this feels like a reasonably pleasant time of year for me.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
September here means the snow is melting off the Australian Alps, the insect population is mutiplying, and the ornamental plums and cherry trees are billowing with blossom.

This means the night temperatures sometimes get over 10 degrees celsius, the first big dreadnought blowflies and the little sticky flies are following you inside every chance they get, and the pollen count is through the roof. My eyes get so red and swollen that I look like I've been on a permanent bender.

But yes it is pretty, and I do enjoy the extra warmth and sunlight hours very much. Just not as much as February which is my favourite month. Bring on high summer!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My September 2nd this year was awful. Dreadful. Terrible. Normally, I'm kind of glad to see September in the South (U.S.A.) because it means that the oppressive heat and humidity is going to be leaving soon. However, one of our cat's died on Labor Day... she was laboring to breathe and could't do it anymore... so, September 2, 2013 will always mean something not so good to me.

And, even though I know Jesus was not born on December 25th, I still really like that date.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to derail another thread. Forgive me. Last week was a very bad week for me.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, it is just you.

September is harvest season, both animal and vegetable. I now have preserved fruit in abundance and the first duck and geese since February.
Once we get the logburner installed it will also herald the wood chopping season too.

Happy days.

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logs, another thing I like about the season. I took delivery of a load on Sunday and thy are all ready in my woodshed awaiting the colder weather. I have also swept my chimney in readiness

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]I understand that very well, The5thMary. In three days it will be one year since the death of my beloved 19 1/2 year old tabby. Grief does that to us, doesn't it?[/tangent]

I am thrilled that it's September! Most of us here are very tired of the heat, but more so the humidity. Next month we may have a cooler, dryer day or two! Which means that Winter is coming!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016