homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pointless

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pointless
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone watched the TV quiz Pointless? A student son of a friend of mine was a contestant recently so I watched it for the first time. It's quite slow to start with, but seems to build up in tension as the contest progresses. It seems to be a particular favourite with the student-age population of today, a bit like Countdown on Channel 4 once was (is it still on?). I wonder if the questions on Pointless are really based on surveys of 100 people or if it's just made up. Maybe someone from the BBC will tell us.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite enjoy pointless, mainly because the interaction between Xander and Richard is funny.

Yes they do test them all on 100 people. I follow Richard on Twitter, and he has made it clear that they do actually do this.

I would do rubbish on it. Someone I know a little (in my wifes tennis club) was on an early show, so I have been watching - on and off - for a long time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did it become mandatory that most of the hour preceding the 6 o'clock news was filled by a quiz show? Didn't it used to be children's programmes? And then Neighbours for a couple of decades?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
When did it become mandatory that most of the hour preceding the 6 o'clock news was filled by a quiz show? Didn't it used to be children's programmes? And then Neighbours for a couple of decades?

I think filling the slot with a quiz show started with that awful Anne Robinson quiz, when she insulted the contestants, can't recall its name.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Weakest Link? I think you may be right.

I only saw Pointless when I was home on holiday, and found it quite entertaining, although some of the categories might as well have been in Martian ("name a hit song by Christina Aguilera"). [Ultra confused]

I'm far too old to be able to do that. [Hot and Hormonal]

My mother-in-law is quite hooked on Eggheads, the other quiz that seems to be on about then; I like the challenge of the questions, but I think the slight smugness of the Eggheads would grate if I watched it more than occasionally.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I quite enjoy pointless, mainly because the interaction between Xander and Richard is funny.

I love Pointlessand its relaxed style, but I have to say I find some of Richard's attempts at banter over-scripted and a bit crap. They're trying to force it, and if they're not careful they'll wreck it.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been on Pointless! I have a trophy (but no money). I could, if I so chose, point you to the Youtube link of my programme.

It was great fun to film and Alexander and Richard were very good. There's a lot of their banter that gets cut! Richard is incredibly smart.

They told us as we were preparing for the show that the questions ARE asked of 100 people - it is done online and the people being asked the questions don't know that it is for Pointless - it is just part of other online sampling stuff.

What I love about it is that it really is luck as to whether you get a good or bad category. When we were on, we had a stinker (for me) of a first round and then a really good second round. The head to head started very badly and then got better!

We fluffed the final round - went for a category that should have been easy but actually wasn't. The frustrating thing was the some of the pointless answers were things I knew, but couldn't recall.

They film the show fairly quickly. What you see on the screen is pretty much how it is. The only pauses were between the rounds, to get rid of podia. There was a 5 minute delay before the head to head. That meant that by the time we reached the final round, I was beginning to burn out. When you watch on TV, you think "oh, that's EASY." Let me assure you, if you get past the head to head, your mind will be swimming and NOTHING is easy any more!

It was a great time and I would heartily recommend anyone to have a go themselves.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really felt for the woman the other day who obviously had brain-freeze and couldn't remember Princess Diana's maiden name. Everyone was so nice about it!

What I love is when someone throws out an answer they know is totally wrong, just to say something, and Alexander tries desperately not to laugh as he does his 'let's see if it's right' spiel.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a bit sad, but actually quite like the programme. The annoying bits are Alexander with his 'let's see', (as above) and his "we have got..."

Eggheads is quite a good quiz and I agree with the 'smug' comment above. I think that 'CJ' and Chris were the worst for that! I am still not sure that they are not 'fed' some of the answers.

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are those shows something we can see over here? If so, where?

[ 26. September 2013, 14:37: Message edited by: Beautiful Dreamer ]

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful Dreamer:
Are those shows something we can see over here? If so, where?

Not sure BD. Maybe there is a US version of the format somewhere?
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you go to youtube and search for pointless series 9 or 8 or 7.... you should find a lot to watch. I think that the most recent series is series 10, which doesn't appear to be available yet.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this show, as it appeals to my nerdy side and the fact that I'm very proud of being a Fount of Useless Information (TM).
I find Richard Osman rather attractive, but tall, dark & knowledgeable definitely appeals to me!
It's also improved my scientific, geographical, historical, political & sporting knowledge quite considerably!
I usually do well in the film, literature, words and languages categories, as I'm a film buff, a bookworm and have a degree in three romance languages!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016