homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome to Night Vale -- are you listening?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome to Night Vale -- are you listening?
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if there are any other people here listening to the Welcome to Night Vale podcast?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here is the official description from its web page:
quote:
Welcome to Night Vale is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Turn on your radio and hide.

Seriously, it's like if NPR and Stephen King had a baby and gave it to Mary Shelly to raise. It's free on iTunes or you can download the episodes at the link above, each one's about 20 minutes long.

*goes to wait for the bus in the rain*

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Spiff, just downloading now and will listen on bike.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kind of surprised no one's stepped forward yet to say they are also in love with it. It's okay, though, I've already infected my soccer hooligan friends, I am a good disease vector.

(I also will not take offense if you don't like it. It's definitely not something that's for everyone.)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've downloaded a couple for listening to on an upcoming overseas trip.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Yes I am listening.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And my sig didn't come up on that post. CURSE YOU CRUEL INTERNET.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure what to make of it. Is it 'off-beat' comedy? I guess I was expecting a creepy radio show. It's a brilliant idea, but it seems to set itself up for a fall regarding expectation.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the first episode... it sounded a little like the show "Eureka", but spooky. Is that accurate?
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 episodes in and I find myself, nonplussed. A bit nonplussed. Some of it is brilliant, some tries a bit hard. Intend to keep listening, so perhaps a bit more on than off.

Thanks for the heads up, spiffy.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Not quite sure what to make of it. Is it 'off-beat' comedy? I guess I was expecting a creepy radio show. It's a brilliant idea, but it seems to set itself up for a fall regarding expectation.

I suggest you try episodes 19A and B. If that doesn't float your boat, then it's probably not the flavor of creepy you're looking for.

--------------------

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
I tried the first episode... it sounded a little like the show "Eureka", but spooky. Is that accurate?

I would say like a creepy Lake Woebegone.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016