homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Friends with whom you disagree?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Friends with whom you disagree?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people seem to have friends who agree with them on most or many issues and ideas. I have some of those. But some of the most valued and interesting friends I have (and have had) are those I disagree with.

One that comes immediately to mind is right wing, when I am left of centre, anti-progressive re church where I am well progressed, conservative about many social issues where I am liberal (I would say tolerant to him). What is good about it is the possibility of discussion and learning. I guess because we drink tea and beer together, the friendship works.

Do others have friends you disagree with? What have you got to say about them?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'd only friends who agreed with me on everything, I doubt I'd have any.
We agree were we do, argue where we don't. Not saying everything is wonderful all the time, no relationship is perfect. On the whole, we have more in common than not. After all, life is not all politics.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always found friends who march to a different drummer more interesting then those who think as I do. It seems to work when I remember that they do indeed see the world differently then I do. As long as they are good, caring people all is well.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
most definitely. Some of my friends are completely batshit crazy on matters political, while I am, of course, the Voice Of Reason™. [Big Grin]

because I'm involved in the theater world, most people assume my politics are left-of-Mao. Some are; most aren't. I'm the last of the red-hot moderates!* but I have dear close friends who are far to the edges at both sides, plus many who float around the middle like me.

and to further screw up the theater stereotype, the current director I'm working with is much more conservative than I; and a former actor I worked with (who was always the first to volunteer for drag parts) actually admits to being registered Republican. We forgive him because he is otherwise mostly sane.

*bonus points to those who get the paraphrase reference.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sophie Tucker. Now give us a difficult reference. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hot damn you're good!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
most definitely. Some of my friends are completely batshit crazy on matters political, while I am, of course, the Voice Of Reason™. [Big Grin]

because I'm involved in the theater world, most people assume my politics are left-of-Mao. Some are; most aren't. I'm the last of the red-hot moderates!* but I have dear close friends who are far to the edges at both sides, plus many who float around the middle like me.

and to further screw up the theater stereotype, the current director I'm working with is much more conservative than I; and a former actor I worked with (who was always the first to volunteer for drag parts) actually admits to being registered Republican. We forgive him because he is otherwise mostly sane.

Over here theatre people vary according to the sector from which they get funded (OK, I'm being mischievous, but only a little).

Wouldn't a registered Republican be likely to be to the left of core Republican voters nowadays, hence 'mostly sane'?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure. I know a few people who are fans of the Boston Red Sox. I don't get it. To me, non-native Red Sox fans are a step below Yankees fans, because they root for a powerhouse team but think that they are better than people who root for powerhouse teams. At least the non-native Yankees fan knows that he's a tool. But as long as they are willing to take my ribbing and I accept theirs, we get along.

Not trying to be willfully dense here, just putting it in a different light (we are in Heaven after all). We all have issues that define us more than others. In real life, politics are a minor part of who I am. I don't sit down over a beer talk health care policy with people. It's not that I can't. I'd just much rather discuss sports, church, beer, or music. So I have to find different examples.

To give you a more serious example, I recently ran into an old acquaintance who also grew up in the Episcopal Church, and who is also a church geek. I hadn't seen her in ten years, but within five minutes of seeing her, we took up disagreeing about music, what young people want, and all of the other issues that only Church people care about like we hadn't missed a day. Let's face it, people like us are few and far between; if I don't get those discussions out of my system with her, they are just going to sit there and fester.

So that is one reason why you should try to get along with people who disagree with you. There are only a handful of people who are as passionate about certain topics as you are. If you aren't willing to talk with those people, you are just going to bore people who really don't care. You are stuck with them, so try to enjoy it.

Disagreeing with people, within certain bounds, is kind of fun. Don't take it personally, don't be so sure of yourself that you are unwilling to even consider being friends with someone who sees things differently, and you will enjoy life much more. The only person I don't want to be friends with is the person who can't be challenged without melting down.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og beat me to it, I was going so say that I have friends who are Yankees fans and 'Bama fans. No accounting for taste.

Most of my friends have vastly different opinions on politics, social issues, religion, etc. It's far more interesting that way. And if I hung out only with folks who agreed with me, I'd be a pretty lonely camper...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadians draw the line at Leafs fans. No-one is friend with them because they are all from Toronto.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very dear friend who is massively into astrology and insists that it does have a scientific basis. We did actually discuss it / argue about it once but she started to get very upset and I realised that it was time to STFU about a belief that is clearly very important to her even though I think it's bullshit. She's also into Wicca and a bunch of pseudoscience stuff about crystal healing and the like but it's the astrology that has the potential to really set things off. Now she knows what I think, I know what she thinks, we avoid broaching the subject and all is well. She's possibly the loveliest person I know, and although I'm sure the evidence is against her I've met enough hardcore skeptics who are massive flaming douchebags to know that I don't want to be one of them.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I avoid close friendships with right-wingers. Bad for my blood pressure.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some of my friends are completely batshit crazy on matters political, while I am, of course, the Voice Of Reason™. [Big Grin]
and a former actor I worked with (who was always the first to volunteer for drag parts) actually admits to being registered Republican. We forgive him because he is otherwise mostly sane.

Comet, please may I quote these? [Overused]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of my friends are left-wing. Some have no religious beliefs and think the idea of an afterlife is a delusion. Almost none of them share more than one or two of my interests.

However they are interesting, intelligent, funny, compassionate and likeable people, and I'm grateful to have them in my life. You can still enjoy each other's company - IMO it's not about finding soulmates who are compatible in lots of respects and are essentially a mirror of yourself, it's about enjoying the differences and other points of view, being able to chat and laugh with each other.

Enjoying the same activities is no guarantee of similar outlook, people can like the same things for very different reasons.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
quote:
Some of my friends are completely batshit crazy on matters political, while I am, of course, the Voice Of Reason™. [Big Grin]
and a former actor I worked with (who was always the first to volunteer for drag parts) actually admits to being registered Republican. We forgive him because he is otherwise mostly sane.

Comet, please may I quote these? [Overused]
oh, sure. where?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016