homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "I need a coffee"? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "I need a coffee"?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
For coffee, maybe, but decaf tea just tastes WRONG.

It can be horrid. I haven't had a decent decaff tea so far, but as more people start asking for it, it may improve.
I've been campaigning for a low-fat pork pie for decades and think we are both bang out of luck.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Thanks for all the responses about Angel's Delight. If it's anything at all like CoolWhip, which I do know, I'd want to stay as far away as possible.

A wise person once advised me 'Never eat anything which has more than one ingredient you either can't pronounce or know the meaning of.' The advice has stood me in good stead.

Angel Delight (no apostrophe) is not like Cool Whip, it's basically instant pudding but with a whipped texture rather than a jello-like one.
Still sounds foul!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our family tried Angel Delight once, when it first came out. We never tried anything that you made up out of a packet ever again!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and i've just seen it in pride of place on tesco's shelves........
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have as a signature on various forums: 'if you want consistency, try Angel Delight', but I got bored with it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'd say that I'm addicted to caffeine.

I started drinking coffee very, very young. In elementary school I drank a cup of café con leche (coffee with milk) every morning (it's a Latin Americn thing). I didn't get hooked, though, until later when I got a job at a coffeehouse and became a barista.

It was a fun place to work in and they let the baristas drink as much coffee as they wanted so I got into the habit very quickly. Soon I was drinking more than several cups a day. At work it was mostly lattes so I wouldn't get too wired but I've also been known to drink it black on occasion. There's no shame in adding sugar either. The Turks do it, the Greeks, do it, the Cubans do it too.

I'm not a coffee snob and I'm not above drinking instant (when you need the caffeine, you need the caffeine). Nowadays I usually drink whatever is the house coffee but I usually go for a dark roast and I'm growing partial to double americanos ( two shots of espresso with a little hot water added).

I've tried to cut back and every year for Lent I try to drink less coffee. Nothing really bad has ever happened because of my habit other than spending too much money and the incident I call The Great Coffee Tragedy of Ought-Seven (or was it Ought-Eight?, I can't remember): I used to carry a coffee thermos in my shoulder bag all the time. One day I was in a hurry and I put my thermos in my bag without closing it properly and the coffee spilled all over a nice textbook I had in there. I care about books more than I care about coffee so I was majorly, majorly bummed out.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by David:
FWIW, we have a Nespresso machine at home, and despite the cost and landfill issues the coffee is very good. Baristo-nazis will disagree of course, but I know people who roast their own beans by hand who think like me.

Coffee grounds and also filter papers can be put in food recycling containers and also in garden compost bins.

Fresh ground coffee (especially from fresh ground beans) is one of the loveliest smells I know. It lifts the spirit.

Nespresso is capsules.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Butterscotch Angel Delight is delicious.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Especially with sliced bananas.

There have been other flavours that were really bad (peach... eurgh), but the butterscotch is good.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
For coffee, maybe, but decaf tea just tastes WRONG.

It can be horrid. I haven't had a decent decaff tea so far, but as more people start asking for it, it may improve.
I've been campaigning for a low-fat pork pie for decades and think we are both bang out of luck.
Mrs Thurible says that Yorkshire Tea de-caff is the closest she's found to something that tastes of tea.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the tip about the tea. I'll look into that.

There are more decaff coffees around than there used to be, which gives me hope, but not half as many as I'd like. There are still quite a lot that you can only get in non-decaff. I used to be partial to Viennese-with-fig, and would like to try that again, amongst other things.

Coffee for me needs to kickstart the morning with a rich, rough blast of flavour. Hot and black with no sugar, maybe accompanied by a bacon roll, it's a particularly good thing on a winter's morning.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016