homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Downton Abbey (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Downton Abbey
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's a bit late in the day, but after last week's episode it's clear that next week is going to be one to watch. Anyone up for discussion, speculation, etc? Favourite characters, people you can't stand? What is Thomas up to? Will Daisy ever have a happy love life? Has Michael Gregson been arrested as a spy?

Your thoughts on all things Downton are invited...

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally my favourite character is the Dowager Duchess played by Maggie Smith. She gets all the best lines.

We've also been trying to decide if Michael has disappeared because he's a cad or been "disappeared" because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Something bad is bound to happen the Bates' though - TV thrives on jeopardy!

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what about Lady Edith? - pregnant and not even knowing where the father of the child is? It'll be interesting see how this is resolved.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just hope they don't send Tom Branson off to America, I think he's the most decent character "upstairs".

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never watched this (dont have a telly) but it sounds a wee bitty like Upstairs Downstairs from the 1970s which I loved as a teenager. I always identified with the less-than-pretty and rather slow scullery maid Ruby who was constantly bullied by Mrs Bridges. Always hated the dashing cad Captain James from upstairs. Apologies for the tangent. Back to the Abbey.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ina perfect world Tom would end up with Lady Mary - maybe a sparky Irishman would finally inject some life into her because - either because of the way she's written or (more likely) the way she's played, the girl has about as much life as a stuffed trout.

Carson the butler is splendid - and absolutely true-to-life: I knew a retired butler once who absolutely terrified the life out of the younger members of his "family" even in his 80s.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the dowager and her famous one-liners too, and in my happy little world Tom's arms are definitely waiting for Mary. I found that little scene with the two of them and Isobel Crawley, about how fortunate they had been to know overwhelming love, very touching.

I have no idea what Thomas and Baxter are up to and think I may have missed something. Can anyone tell me what their connection is?

What if, despite the doctor's letter, Edith isn't pregnant? And if she is, who's going to die when the baby's born? As that seems to be the pattern - Downton baby comes into the world, Downton adult leaves it on the same day. [Roll Eyes]

And Joanne Froggatt deserves an Oscar but I find the Bates story almost too painful; love that couple so much. [Axe murder]

Nen - liking the comparison of Mary with a stuffed trout. How true. [Killing me]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm waiting to see if Dame Kiri Te Kanawa contrives to do an Australian accent in lieu of her natural Kiwi...

Not on here yet or so it seems. We may have missed an episode or two...

[Frown]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You haven't seen the episode with Dame Kiri yet?

Ah. [Eek!]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Dowager does get some of the best lines, but Carson also gets some superb lines. They both deliver them perfectly.

Maggie Smith does have perfect delivery for her lines. The role is made for her.

Lady Mary is very flat, isn't she. I think, having seen her in something else, it is just her style. But it does get boring.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed it was her frozen-by-grief act - don't remember having seen her act in anything else.

Bates is emerging as a much stronger and darker character these days. Was it ever clearly established whether he did or did not kill his first wife? Either way it looks as if his time in prison may have made him harder so more of a force to be reckoned with.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it was not definitively established whether he killed his first wife or not. And yes, he is - for whatever reason - a far darker person than he used to be.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

I have no idea what Thomas and Baxter are up to and think I may have missed something. Can anyone tell me what their connection is?

I don't think there is a connection. I can't make Thomas's motives out at all, beyond total malice towards everyone.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

I don't think there is a connection. I can't make Thomas's motives out at all, beyond total malice towards everyone.
Aren't they related in some way I thought she was Thomas' cousin or something....?

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't make Thomas's motives out at all, beyond total malice towards everyone.

I'd assumed that there was a kind of general hatred of the world because it doesn't accept his homosexuality, but I think there's a big dollop of plain nastiness thrown into the mix too.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You haven't seen the episode with Dame Kiri yet?

Ah. [Eek!]

Apparently we missed the start of the series! Bloody hell! The DVR is supposed to record all first-run episodes of"Masterpiece Theater" but it seems to have missed the new D A...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

One thing that puzzles me slightly, in the 1920s would even the nobility have apparently thought nothing of leaping on the train to go up to London just for the day all the way from Yorkshire? Surely in those days the journey would have taken about 4 hours? Do-able I suppose but the Downtonites seem to do it frequently.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Sparrow - I do wonder. I think they would have planned to stay over a lot more - down and back in a day would have been a lot.

Lord Grantham would have stayed at his club overnight if he had to go. The ladies at the sisters place. I don't think they would have taken the rigors of two journeys in a day, even in first class.

I used to do weekly commuting to York, just ten years ago, and that was tough enough, when the journey time is 2 hours London to York.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

C reminded me we don't get it here until January.

[Frown] [brick wall]

--------------------

Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One thing that puzzles me slightly, in the 1920s would even the nobility have apparently thought nothing of leaping on the train to go up to London just for the day all the way from Yorkshire? Surely in those days the journey would have taken about 4 hours? Do-able I suppose but the Downtonites seem to do it frequently.

More concerning to me is that they seem to arrive at St Pancras. Given that they apparently live near Ripon, the East Coast route to Kings Cross would be much more efficient. I can only think they are MR/LMS shareholders.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
More concerning to me is that they seem to arrive at St Pancras. Given that they apparently live near Ripon, the East Coast route to Kings Cross would be much more efficient. I can only think they are MR/LMS shareholders.

I'd noticed that. Of course it could be something to do with the fact that King's Cross now has a much more modern façade than St Pancras, and St Pancras' old taxi rank is much quieter now that traffic has been routed around the side of the building...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, there we go. I thought Lady Violet was about to croak her last. Glad to see it's business as usual, she'd have been a sad loss to the series.

Next week is, I believe, the last in this series. That means it'll end on a cliffhanger. My money's on Bates.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Apparently there will be a death next week. I guess the evil valet.

--------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Apparently there will be a death next week. I guess the evil valet.

I concur.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My money's still on Bates. I'm betting he'll have a fight with the evil valet and unexpectedly have a fatal heart attack.

Either that or William gets run over on the way back to the station. I do think it'll be a "downstairs" one rather than an "upstairs" one.

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
William died in series 2, after saving the life of Mr Matthew in the trenches. You should remember - he took weeks to die and managed to get Daisy to merry him on his deathbed. Do you mean Alfred, the Michel Roux of the servants' hall?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marry, not merry - nothing merry about our Daisy!

--------------------

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, you're quite right, I did mean Alfred, thanks for that. I always get those two mixed up.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
William died in series 2, after saving the life of Mr Matthew in the trenches. You should remember - he took weeks to die and managed to get Daisy to merry him on his deathbed.

So he died with a smile on his face?

[Smile]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
William died in series 2, after saving the life of Mr Matthew in the trenches. You should remember - he took weeks to die and managed to get Daisy to merry him on his deathbed.

So he died with a smile on his face?

[Smile]

[Snigger] That would be using the same gag twice though; remember the man who died in Lady Mary's bed? [Eek!]

I hadn't heard there was to be a death. That'll make watching this week's episode nice and relaxing... [Eek!]

Nen - guessing that the slippers and Horlicks should be taken off Sunday evening's agenda. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our dog spends one day a week at a friend's, a boarder/groomer who over the years has collected a pack of nine dogs, most of whom she and her husband adopted over the years from clients who could no longer keep them. The alpha of this motley pack is a Welsh corgi we affectionately refer to as Carson because of his air of authority mixed with weight-of-the-world exasperation as he manages the other dogs.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well!

Will Edith get away with it? I've got my doubts - perhaps she'll somehow get news of Michael when she's in Switzerland?

Lady Mary? She still seems so bloodless...

I'm sure Branson could do better than that priggish schoolmarm; I certainly hope so because I'm not sure their shared love of progressive politics will warm the cockles of their hearts AND any bed for long.

Mr Molesley seems to be coming out of his shell but no doubt Thomas will do his best to ensure it all ends in tears.

And did Mr Bates make a sneaky trip to London? I've got my doubts: he had no idea what time Anna and Lady Mary were due back so is unlikely to have risked it. More probable is that he did just what he said he was going to - went to York for the day.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So much for this series ending on a cliffhanger. If you didn't watch last night's episode, you missed very little. Distinctly underwhelming.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I agree. Pretty boring really.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All will be revealed in the Christmas special. At least I hope so. I think Michael Gregson will be found, possibly when Edith and Rosamunde go to Switzerland. He will get his divorce in time and he and Edith will marry quietly and return to Downton with Edith obviously pregnant. Or, possibly, Branson will find out about Edith's plight and will offer marriage.

As for Bates, I think he went to London and made contact with the evil valet, possibly in a pub where he slipped poison into his beer. The effects of this poison then made Green fall under a bus. However, somehow suspicions will be aroused and a post-mortem will reveal the poison. This will be the same poison which killed the first Mrs Bates.

Rose will be presented and have her coming-out ball at Downton. Everyone will be there, including Cora's mother and brother, which will provoke some kind of hiatus.

Downstairs, Daisy's father-in-law will die, leaving everything to Daisy. Alfred will come back and realise Daisy is 'The One' after all. Carson and Mrs Hughes will be facing retirement and will decide to join forces and open a small hotel together, as a married couple. Thomas Barrow will be involved in some dark scheming - perhaps he will find out Bates really went to London instead of York and he will try some blackmail tactic but Bates will kill him as well. Anna will fall apart when she finds out she's married to a serial killer but will recover and be promoted to housekeeper after Mrs Hughes.

The Dowager Lady Grantham will not die, she's far too good to lose.

[ 11. November 2013, 11:34: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

Some great ideas there. I think you should e-mail them to contactholmember@parliament.uk
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Molesley and Baxter look like developing a possible romance. He'll probably be a good influence on her and get her away from Thomas.

Not sure about Bates. He might well have gone to York, probably to buy a means of dispatching the evil valet or else to look up some of his old mates from prison to get them to do the job for him. I just hope he doesn't decide that Anna is covering up a guilty love affair and she's to blame for leading Green on.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
All will be revealed in the Christmas special ... Or, possibly, Branson will find out about Edith's plight and will offer marriage.

Then Edith will die in childbirth, and after a suitable period of mourning he will marry Lady Mary. Three out of three!

[ 11. November 2013, 12:32: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
All will be revealed in the Christmas special ... Or, possibly, Branson will find out about Edith's plight and will offer marriage.

Then Edith will die in childbirth, and after a suitable period of mourning he will marry Lady Mary. Three out of three!
But remember the curse of Mary's hoo-ha (if you see what I mean) - that would make Thomas the most likely to croak next. By the way, do we count Patrick as the first victim of the curse, drowned aboard the Titanic while affianced to her Ladyship?

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Well!

Will Edith get away with it? I've got my doubts - perhaps she'll somehow get news of Michael when she's in Switzerland?

Lady Mary? She still seems so bloodless...

I'm sure Branson could do better than that priggish schoolmarm; I certainly hope so because I'm not sure their shared love of progressive politics will warm the cockles of their hearts AND any bed for long.

Mr Molesley seems to be coming out of his shell but no doubt Thomas will do his best to ensure it all ends in tears.

And did Mr Bates make a sneaky trip to London? I've got my doubts: he had no idea what time Anna and Lady Mary were due back so is unlikely to have risked it. More probable is that he did just what he said he was going to - went to York for the day.

Allen Leech on BBC Breakfast this morning made a humourous reference to an online theory that there was a hitherto unknown really fast train from York to London and back that allowed Bates to do the deed

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
quote:

Allen Leech on BBC Breakfast this morning made a humourous reference to an online theory that there was a hitherto unknown really fast train from York to London and back that allowed Bates to do the deed
Proving that life really was better in the past - you would never be able to rely on a modern train to do that, because of the likelihood of delays, cancellations or a 'bus replacement service' destroying your alibi!

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

It was certainly possible in the 1920's to get from York to London and back in one day. AFAIK other Downton characters have done a day return trip to London. 'The Flying Scotsman' took around 8 hours from Edinburgh to London, stopping at York and a few other places. From York it would take around 4 hours.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

No, the day trip was out of the question.

1. The Flying Scotsman only came into service in 1923 and I think the perod we're looking at is 1921 or 22?

2. The Flying Scotsman services left their respective "home" stations at the same time of 10am, so the Edinburgh "down" Scotsman wouldn't have reached York until at least 1pm where it made a stop for lunch.

3. There was an agreement between the rail companies operating the West and East coast routes that a minimum time of 8h 15m be the travelling time, so a train leaving Waverley at 10am would arrive at King's Cross at 6.15pm, the same time the "up" service from King's Cross arrived in Edinburgh.

This arrangement continued up to the outbreak of WWII - so no Bates in London, I'm afraid.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I got my information from a forum where someone had asked the question a year ago - i.e was it possible in the 1920's for someone to travel by train from York to London and back in a day. One of those who answered had consulted a railway timetable for 1922 which showed a regular service between York and London with an average of 4 hours and 20 minutes each way.

[ 15. November 2013, 12:59: Message edited by: justlooking ]

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Double posting to add this from Wikipedia:

quote:
The first Special Scotch Express ran in 1862, with simultaneous departures at 10:00 from the GNR's London King's Cross and North British's Edinburgh Waverley. The original journey took 10½ hours, including a half-hour stop at York for lunch; however, increasing competition and improvements in railway technology saw this time reduced to 8½ hours by the time of the Race to the North in 1888.
From 1900, the train was dramatically modernised, introducing such features as corridors between carriages, heating, and dining cars. As passengers could now take luncheon on the train, the York stop was reduced to 15 minutes, but the end-to-end journey time remained 8½ hours.

After WW1 there was a regular commuter timetable between York and London which gave 4 - 5 hours in London.

[ 15. November 2013, 13:07: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
2. The Flying Scotsman services left their respective "home" stations at the same time of 10am, so the Edinburgh "down" Scotsman wouldn't have reached York until at least 1pm where it made a stop for lunch.

That's presumably the 'up' train...

quote:
3. There was an agreement between the rail companies operating the West and East coast routes that a minimum time of 8h 15m be the travelling time, so a train leaving Waverley at 10am would arrive at King's Cross at 6.15pm, the same time the "up" service from King's Cross arrived in Edinburgh.

…and this would be the 'down' train, wouldn't it? [Biased]
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nerd alert

I haven't been following this series but not all trains from York to London started in Edinburgh. In 1922, it was possible to leave York at 7.40 am and change into a Leeds train at Doncaster getting into King's Cross at 11.50 am or to catch one from Sunderland at 9.32 am that got to King's Cross at 1.35 pm.

Getting back if he'd caught the 7.40 am, there was an express to Scarborough that left King's Cross at 1.50 pm and got to York at 6.5 pm.

Later than that, there was an express that left King's Cross at 4pm for both Leeds and Newcastle, splitting at Doncaster. The Newcastle portion got to York at 8.47 pm. There was also one at 5.25 pm for Hull and Sunderland. The Sunderland portion reached York at 9.27 pm.

Because the break between companies was at Doncaster, Newcastle expresses often did not stop at York.

It might well not have been possible to get a bus from the village early enough to catch a train at 7.40 am or late enough to get home from a 9.27 pm train. In that era, the bus timetable would have been designed for people going to town for market or business purposes rather than commuting.

During the late thirties, in addition to the streamlined trains to Scotland and Newcastle, which tended not to stop en route, the other trains gradually speeded up a bit, but this didn't really get going until about 1933. From 1923, there was only one company involved and the engines got bigger, but initially that mainly resulted in the trains getting heavier rather than faster.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

That sounds feasible Enoch. In one recent episode Carlson and Mrs Hughes had seen someone off at a station and then walked back to Downton together. So I'm assuming there's a branch line station within walking distance and Bates set off early to walk to this station and catch a train into York. He would have his tickets as proof that he went to York and returned from there.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

But we're not talking about the 1930s - Downton at the moment is in the very early 1920s so we're looking 10 years earlier.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Dramatic licence", people. Don't take it too seriously, it's only entertainment, and there have been other anachronisms in the series. I suggest chalking this up as one, suitable for the purposes of plot development.

While we're on the subject of realism, I'm not an expert on this but can't say the accents have struck me as particularly Yorkshire, either.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016