homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If Satan should buffet.... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If Satan should buffet....
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an interesting thread in Purgatory about The Devil and All His Works but I didn't want to hijack it with a tangent as it made me think of my favourite line from the old hymn It is well with my soul which is the title line of the thread.
If Satan should buffet
I can never sing this without thinking someone in a red suit with a pitchfork serving up a dreadful buffet of quiche, vol-au-vents and other selected nibbles.

Anybody else got any favourite lines from hymns that could have another amusing meaning from that intended....

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What no devilled kidneys?

The Lord's my shepherd I'll not want. Why don't I want him?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are more that come under this category in the land of the extinct equine. Why not have a look down there.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liked the devilled kidneys. Thanks for Dead Horses link - I knew iI was unlikely to be original [Smile] but I hoping for more amusing double entendres rather than just "woeful worship songs" but maybe there just isn't the source material available ....

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a popular Lenten hymn that includes the line "we go to fast and pray." Whenever I hear this, I add an extra 'o' to "to." The second verb then becomes a consequence of the first.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
There are more that come under this category in the land of the extinct equine. Why not have a look down there.

This is true. It would be good to avoid duplicating the existing thread if possible.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

PS there would be devilled eggs, and devils on horseback as well, I think.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never could forbear a snigger at -

Here I raise my Ebenezer

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am always quite amused by the line: 'My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!'
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
This is true. It would be good to avoid duplicating the existing thread if possible.

Having skimmed the old thread if we stick to amusing specific lines in hymns/songs I think this keeps it distinct from the original (that was about whole songs that people hated). Is that OK?

Of course - there may not be any in which case this will be a very short-lived thread! [Smile]

[ 03. November 2013, 16:54: Message edited by: Jammy Dodger ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
Having skimmed the old thread if we stick to amusing specific lines in hymns/songs I think this keeps it distinct from the original (that was about whole songs that people hated). Is that OK?

Absolutely, that would be fine. Cheers!
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A line in Oh Jesus I have promised' goes,

'my hope to follow duly, is in thy strength alone..

On eof the kids in chruch was heard to say 'but whydo we want ot follow Julie?'

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

Classic. From my younger days I remember one parent in our church at the time finding their child at home waving a spanner from the toolbox over his head singing "and his spanner over me is love".

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The oldest (best?) is from Keep thou my way which contains that much-loved biblical animal Gladly my cross-eyed bear.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's the old saw about the choreographed couch: "I am the Lord of the dance settee."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear sister always said... "I am the Lord with the damp settee" lol

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

There is of course the hairy chestnut that is "You shall go out with joy" - which has caused awkward moments in many a youth group.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I feel the wind of God today..."

-- what has God been eating? Perhaps something tummy rumbling at the buffet? Does it also have a holy smell? Different than incense?

[ 03. November 2013, 20:38: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harvest - 'he only is the maker of all things...'

always makes me feel like about to get a put down in style of 'she's clever but he's only...'

I do have others that strike me part way through singing them, but can't recall from here.

Though there is of course the expensive knickers song (As the deer/dear pants...'

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last winter my husband taught the kids at his school "Give me oil in my lamp". The year 3 (7-8 yr olds) teacher later told him that the kids spent the afternoon singing "Sing ho Santa" for the chorus [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last line in "Go, labor on; spend, and be spent" is:
quote:
soon shalt thou hear the Bridegroom's voice,
the midnight peal, "Behold, I come!"

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our choir member named Phyllis gets some ribbing whenever we sing "fill us with Joy" or "Fill us with the Holy Spirit".

Joy seems to get around . . .

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course in certain parts of England the phrase 'our souls' can cause issues..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Never could forbear a snigger at -

Here I raise my Ebenezer

Praise in the common things of life / Its goings out and in...
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Hushed was the evening hymn, we meet young Samuel the kleptomaniac:
quote:
The old man, meek and mild,
The priest of Israel, slept;
His watch the temple child,
The little Levite, kept.

And then the hymn writer comes over all covetous as well, demanding of the Lord, O give me Samuel's ear! He even specifies which ear he wants: The open ear, O Lord. Presumably the Lord can keep the other, closed ear for himself.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And many a church choir will have noticed the opportunity for full enjoyment of Felicity
in the anthem "Faire is the heaven"

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praise my soul, the King of Heaven

I do like hymns telling of God's love for us.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Of course in certain parts of England the phrase 'our souls' can cause issues..

Fortunately in the northeast, we pronounce "our" the right way - as two syllables. [Biased] Unless we're really northeastern and pronounce it "wa", of course.

Sometimes, as others have noted, it's all about getting the punctuation right:
quote:
My God, I love thee not,
Because I hope for heaven thereby

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If Satan should buffet
I can never sing this without thinking someone in a red suit with a pitchfork serving up a dreadful buffet of quiche, vol-au-vents and other selected nibbles.

The group I'm part of that occasionally leads worship at our church chose this (for some reason that seemed good at the time) a while ago. At the first rehearsal, that line, plus 'while Jordan above me shall roll' and something about 'the trump of the angels', reduced us to shrieks of laughter audible throughout the building. On the day we got through it, only to have a mass meltdown as soon as the benediction was over. We still can't look at that hymn ...

[ 04. November 2013, 11:42: Message edited by: Stumbling Pilgrim ]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
quote:
If Satan should buffet

The group I'm part of that occasionally leads worship at our church chose this (for some reason that seemed good at the time) a while ago. At the first rehearsal, that line, plus 'while Jordan above me shall roll' and something about 'the trump of the angels', reduced us to shrieks of laughter audible throughout the building. On the day we got through it, only to have a mass meltdown as soon as the benediction was over. We still can't look at that hymn ...
Awesome. [Killing me]

[ 04. November 2013, 11:59: Message edited by: Jammy Dodger ]

--------------------

Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Christmas carol that goes:

"Saint Joseph, meek and mild,
Embraced the new-born Child,
Then knelt upon the sod" [Ultra confused]

Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had this one last night: The night is dark and I am far from home, lead thou me on [Two face]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an Easter hymn which contains the tongue twister "From death's dread sting thy people free". If you're not careful it's easy to sing this as "death's dead string".
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Easter hymn, "He is risen, he is risen!" now has the line "Come, with high and holy hymning, hail our Lord's triumphant day" in Hymnal 1982 (Episcopal Church U.S.A.). Our Hymnal 1940 had it as "Come, with high and holy hymning, Chant our Lord's triumphant lay."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose "Let us drink wine together on our knees" could be a drinking song.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is an interesting thread in Purgatory about The Devil and All His Works but I didn't want to hijack it with a tangent as it made me think of my favourite line from the old hymn It is well with my soul which is the title line of the thread.
If Satan should buffet

Anybody else got any favourite lines from hymns that could have another amusing meaning from that intended....

I'm confused - do you pronounce "buffet" in the hymn quoted here the same way as you would a buffet at a dinner? Which way, then? In my accent (and I suspect in US accents generally) the first is BUFF-it and the second (which is never a verb) is buh-FAY.

It might sound to me like "if Satan should buff it," which could have double entendres or simply mean he's got a job at a soft-cloth car wash.

[ 07. November 2013, 00:27: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I'm confused - do you pronounce "buffet" in the hymn quoted here the same way as you would a buffet at a dinner? Which way, then? In my accent (and I suspect in US accents generally) the first is BUFF-it and the second (which is never a verb) is buh-FAY.

It might sound to me like "if Satan should buff it," which could have double entendres or simply mean he's got a job at a soft-cloth car wash.

I keep thinking it has something to do with Margaritaville.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are paraphrases allowed here?

The Earth belongs unto the Lord
And all that it contains,
Excepting the west highland piers,
For they are all MacBrayne's.

(MacBrayne's being the steamer company at one time)

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't doubt that it is sung 'buffit' - the alternative meaning is present to the eye and the mind. It's a homograph and a homonym but not a homophone.
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a homograph and a homonym but not a homophone.

Where does that fit on the LGBT spectrum?

Does it mean it can get married?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:

No, it means it's a kind of intelligent horse written about by Swift.
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:

No, it means it's a kind of intelligent horse written about by Swift.
So you're saying that Mister Ed was gay?

I know the networks used to hush up that sort of thing.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You could search in Yahoo.
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
quote:

I don't doubt that it is sung 'buffit' - the alternative meaning is present to the eye and the mind. It's a homograph and a homonym but not a homophone.
Yes exactly - it is a visual pun not a verbal one. Apologies for not making that clear in my OP.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"There is a green hill far away
Without a city wall"

which begs the question, why would a hill have a city wall anyway?

And one that I saw here on the Ship a while back about the woman in Proverbs whose price is greater than rubies, which begs the question, how much does Ruby charge?

Nen - having a good giggle at this thread.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

...which leads straight to the first line of number 3 in the English Hymnal:

Behold, the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You could search in Yahoo.

Tee hee
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

...which leads straight to the first line of number 3 in the English Hymnal:

Behold, the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night

And joy cometh in the morning.

Joy really is quite a gal.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A colleague of mine made an observation that took the "Jesus is my boyfriend" line of thought to new heights (or depths, depending upon your point of view) when she said that, "Lord, You put a tongue in my mouth" should be known as the French Kissing Song.

I'll get me coat ...

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 'without a city wall' the 'without' means 'outside', but I am sure that we know that. Firenze or NE Quine may correct me, but I think that word is still used in Scotland to mean 'outside'?

It used to confuse me as a young child in the 60‘s, I have to say lol

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was born "without": check my birth certificate!

It's been a source of pride ever since...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016