homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Kung Fu Fighting - Shipmates and martial arts?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Kung Fu Fighting - Shipmates and martial arts?
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwai's response here in the "warmongering Christ-deniers" thread in Hell got me wondering - how many Shipmates are martial artists?

I'll start - I study Yang-style T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Eclectsis (as the name suggests, an eclectic style combining Southern Praying Mantis kung fu, Western boxing, etc.)

How about the rest of you?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there you had to link to my post with the painful typo! [Big Grin]

Guess I should check in since I've been noticed. I do Tae Kwon Do, in theory because it keeps me active, but mostly because it I love it.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm adept at the art of Ecky Thump . [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I trained for a few years in Shokotan Karate, but haven't trained recently. Partly owing to having trained JKA style and then discovered that it is really difficult to access clubs teaching that style except in a limited number of parts of the UK.

It would matter less if it didn't incorporate a basic (and functional) technique into every single move that is not taught in most common shotokan variants in the UK.

You are taught to do a hip snap with everything - it is a technique that increases your power and acts like a shock absorber. When you don't do it you can feel the difference.

Also, I originally trained in a really good university club, and when I have looked for other dojos the training has been of much lower quality and I have been concerned about the injury risk as a result. (E.G. First lesson with beginners, teacher setting us to freestyle sparring in the second half of the session, before he had taught said beginners how to body stop.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a black belt in Jidokwan Taekwondo. I taught children's classes for a while which was a lot of fun!

The only time I had to defend myself was against a 'friend' of my ex who decided to throw a punch at my face while my ex and I were talking to him. (Both guys were very drunk.) Training took over, and I simultaneously blocked the punch and my knee was stopped within an inch of his groin. Scared him. A lot.

I agree with Gwai:
quote:
A great example of active passivism, since martial arts provides one choices of how much violence one wants to use, and causing lasting harm is generally a choice.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have much personal experience in martial arts, but my son attends a Mennonite school with a curriculum built around their pacifist philosophy. As part of their curriculum, the students train in Harmony Akido.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pommie Mick
Shipmate
# 12794

- Posted      Profile for Pommie Mick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I train at a boxing gym and it's a part of my local ministry.

Probably getting too old for competition, but if I'd got into it when I was younger I'd be up for it, even as a cleric.

Posts: 185 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On-and-off for 35 years now: I started with Judo as a child, stopped that when I grew tired with the club life and the need for competitions (I have always been a happy loner). In my 30s I got bored with jogging and went back to the Martial Arts, practised traditional Ju-Jitsu happily for a couple of years until the club broke apart due to stupid politicking- and there was no viable alternative club around. I then tried Aikido for a while but joint problems made that increasingly painful and my doctor told me to stop. [Waterworks]
I miss it a lot.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
(E.G. First lesson with beginners, teacher setting us to freestyle sparring in the second half of the session, before he had taught said beginners how to body stop.)

[Ultra confused]

That's an, um, interesting way of going about it...

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Training took over, and I simultaneously blocked the punch and my knee was stopped within an inch of his groin. Scared him. A lot.

Nicely done.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I agree with Gwai:
quote:
A great example of active passivism, since martial arts provides one choices of how much violence one wants to use, and causing lasting harm is generally a choice.

Absolutely. Something we spend a good deal of time on in my classes is controlling the amount of power used in relation to the circumstances at hand.

[ 14. November 2013, 12:44: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our T'ai Chi instructress is a martial arts practitioner. She always points up the offensive/defensive aspects of the moves we're learning. However, since most of the class have trouble getting to grips with just balancing, I can't see South Edinburgh OAP ninjas happening any time soon.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I don't have much personal experience in martial arts, but my son attends a Mennonite school with a curriculum built around their pacifist philosophy. As part of their curriculum, the students train in Harmony Akido.

Similarly, I started training because of a Mennonite who was actually teaching it in his church's space while it wasn't being used--in fact he is still one of my teachers--and I really enjoy how much that throws people until one explains.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty adept at crazyass street fighting (though it's been years, thankfully. I'm averse to pain) does that count? [Biased]

my sons both studied Tai Kwon Do in a church basement, also. (AOG) They've done quite well in it. I loved that after his first year or so, my eldest son said he understood a whole lot more of why I do yoga!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Our T'ai Chi instructress is a martial arts practitioner. She always points up the offensive/defensive aspects of the moves we're learning. However, since most of the class have trouble getting to grips with just balancing, I can't see South Edinburgh OAP ninjas happening any time soon.

I love the idea of aged ninjas rampaging round Morningside, kicking aside anyone who gets in their way in Waitrose...

I'm not long in from a kickboxing class. I've been going for 2 and a half years now, and I do love it - great exercise, fun, bit of a skill, and when you grade you also have to do self-defence, so useful as well!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
I love the idea of aged ninjas rampaging round Morningside, kicking aside anyone who gets in their way in Waitrose...

Gracefully displacing with a fluent white crane spreads its wings, please.

Actually, we were discussing this during a break in the class and deciding we might not be able to fight muggers, but we could certainly seriously puzzle them.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a few black belts in various arts, Karate (Wado), Iaido (Muso Shinden/Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu) and Koryu Kobudo. What really floats my boat is semi or full contact sparring in Western Swordsmanship. That is the sort of sparring where you count your fingers afterwards.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:

Actually, we were discussing this during a break in the class and deciding we might not be able to fight muggers, but we could certainly seriously puzzle them.

That might work well with the pacifism thread over on purgatory... what a brilliant example of creative non-violence! Get them so hopelessly befuddled they don't know what's up!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

That might work well with the pacifism thread over on purgatory... what a brilliant example of creative non-violence! Get them so hopelessly befuddled they don't know what's up!
{tangent alert}

I heard a story about someone who tried to rob a phone company store. When the robber demanded money from the cashier, she snapped, "I can't let you have it; it's against company policy!"

The would-be robber turned and ran.

{/tangent alert}

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Similarly I heard a lovely story about a formally trained martial artist who is accosted by a mugger. I don't know if it's true, but I hope it is. The would-be victim replies politely to try to avoid violence and mentions his martial arts hoping that the mugger will give up and not bother. Not a chance, the mugger replies, albeit probably less politely.
So the guy starts thinking about what he will do when the mugger comes at it, and since he's preparing to do his martial art, he automatically bows. That's what he's always done before he did martial arts with a partner after all in class.

It's that instinctive action that makes the mugger turn and run.

--------------------

Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

- Posted      Profile for Michael Snow   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shodan, Judo

--------------------
http://spurgeonwarquotes.wordpress.com/

Posts: 62 | From: S. Dak./ Romania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

- Posted      Profile for Michael Snow   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't miss ArachnidinElmet's link, above, to Ecky Thump!!!

--------------------
http://spurgeonwarquotes.wordpress.com/

Posts: 62 | From: S. Dak./ Romania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I studied Shotokan Karate in the 70’s and did enjoy it. I only had to use it once for real and it saved me from anything worse than a bruised nose.

One other member of our Dojo was at a grading with the prominent Sensei (Japanese) at the time and tells me the story of when the Sensei and he were walking back across a car park in the dark after the grading. They were set upon by four yobs and before my friend could 'get his arse in gear', the Sensei had done a 'Bruce Lee' and (ahem) 'dealt with' all four of them! I wish I could have seen it!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I studied Aikido, which has a nice philosophy, but which I eventually determined would be practically useless in a real self-defense situation.

Then I took up Krav Maga. Sometimes dubbed "Kosher Karate," KM is a system of hand-to-hand combat used by the Israeli army. It's not exactly something you'd send the kids to in order to learn the value of sportsmanship and a little Oriental Philosophy, but it works.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I train in Shotokan Karate, I absolutely love the focus it requires which totally takes my mind off work pressures and other stuff. I also love knowing I can seriously kick ass if needed...

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016