homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Whatchamacallit? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whatchamacallit?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A former roommate once designed and had made for him a custom piece of furniture that served certain needs he had. Not knowing what to call it, everyone in our circle referred to it as the "thingie".

When I was little, my mother made me wear pajamas with a fold-down button-up flap in the rear. I called them "pajamas with a reason" -- for no particular reason, if you'll pardon the expression.

Have you used a common everyday word to refer to things quite different from what most people would imagine upon hearing the word?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An immersion-blender is a whizzy-whizz - or is that more obvious than you were thinking of?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use the Hawaiian pidgin term "da kine" a lot: it means roughly "and things like that". So the "table da kine" would be all the things that you need to set the table, unless it means the table itself and the chairs that go with it.

"Whizzer" gets applied to many items that involve rotary motion, such as the string trimmer, food processor, cordless drill, etc.

Actually we take a lot of liberties with language, but perhaps one of the most opaque to an outsider would be "#6". It seems that I kept forgetting things when I left for work, so I had to develop a count to make sure I had everything. There were 6 items: keys, phone, breakfast, lunch, computer, and, the last thing as I head out the door, a goodbye kiss.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I "nuke" food several times a week. It's a nice usage. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In handbell ringing, we have several terms to describe certain ringing techniques. These real words (martellato, ring touch, toll swing, etc.) for some reason don't stick in the minds of some of our ringers! So, they have their own terms that have insidiously wormed their way into our rehearsals..."whack" is a favorite, as is "thunk".

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the old days of proprietary word processing systems, there was one that employed a particular combination of keys to start a new paragraph. I always referred to the combination as a "squirt", which often resulted in embarrassed snickers by the ladies present in the room.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the "three finger salute" was used at work, I am sure wider as it was such good. I presume a take on "two finger salute" but it actually refers to hitting the <ctrl>, <alt> and <del> keys at the same time on Microsoft computer when it was playing up. It has fixed many a problem in its time.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We often have bread and with it for supper. That's a piece of bread and whatever you can find to go with it...

[ 24. November 2013, 16:15: Message edited by: BessHiggs ]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather embarrassing, as we have a whole slang system for different kinds of stuff. For example, sandwich is samblidge, pyjamas are Baracks, tea is ripples, and so on. I suppose they are based on children's corruptions, and awful jokes, and bits of slang, well, here comes the second childhood.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
We often have bread and with it for supper. That's a piece of bread and whatever you can find to go with it...

We sometimes have Iffit meals. If it's in the cupboard we can have it. If it isn't we can't.

[tangent] Reminds me of some health and safety training we had last week. Health and Safety Officer: "Now, do you all understand the instructions about when to use the fire extinguishers?" Employee: "Yes. If there's a fire we use them. If there isn't we don't." [Killing me] [/tangent]

Nen - grilled salmon not Iffit for supper this evening.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Funny fact about the thread title: chamar means 'to call' in Portuguese.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than iffitt, we have stuff: assorted leftovers or bits and bobs from the fridge, "Mm, stuff for tea tonight".

I find 'thingie' serves for most objects (or people) in a pinch.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We regularly had "Wait and See" pudding as kids; it was really quite remarkable, sometimes it looked tasted like Instant Whip* and other times like yesterdays pie.

Jengie

*This is the term my brain comes up with for a instant pudding that you whipped up with water NOT Milk.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have glop and stuff. Glop is something new made from left-overs, stuff is just a mixture of bits and pieces of things on your plate. Also left-overs but in their original form.

When my son was 4 he called moths mops, to this day the whole family still says mops for moths, which is funny because we did not use baby talk with our children and had them learn correct wording for things.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother's mother had what she called hasty pudding, which differed from any sort I have read about. It was flour boiled with milk and some sugar (I assume the sugar).
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things you stir food while it's cooking are referred to as pashers.

One of my ex-housemates once lived with someone who had labelled his kitchen equipment: written on the handle of a wooden spoon was P. Asher. Thus the word was born.

Thing is, there isn't one single word that encompasses wooden spoons, spatulas, wok tools, and other such things. Hence pasher is a really useful term. You can also back-form it into a verb, so the act of using one is 'pashing'.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
In handbell ringing ..."whack" is a favorite, as is "thunk".

I always thought "thunk" was the past tense of "think".

Oh well, you learn something new every day ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not quite related, but my son's favorite meal he lovingly calls "gut bombs". moose meatballs wrapped in bacon.

"Yipee! Gut bombs for dinner!"

in my family we have many words that mean That Thing You Don't Have A Name For - like whatchamacallit, thingamajiggy, whoosie-whatsie, thingy-thing. but my former boss cracked me up with his term, used for random technical radio equipment - hoober-doober.

"Gimme that pokey jobbie that connects to the hoober-doober. you know, the red one..."

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuff is a well-regarded pudding in my family.

And for a while cream was called level - my nephew as a very young child was bringing a dish of cream to the table and it was tilting badly, so my brother called out 'watch that level'. Later on, nephew asked if he could have some more level...

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting how many of these phrases are related to food.

I forgot to mention Surprise Pudding. Custard with stuff from the cupboard, usually coconut and dried fruit, sometimes, glace cherries, the odd broken biscuit. Served hot or cold, it's really inside out trifle. One of these days the surprise will probably be no custard.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tool one uses to remove staples from things must be called by its proper name, which is "Staple Grabbie." You must also make the appropriate gesture when requesting it.

I have no idea why I am so adamant about this.

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We also nuke food and use the three fingered salute on the computer. I need to put my beastie on when I go out - it is my FES device which helps me raise my foot.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windscreen wipers have been wig-wags since my younger sister was a small kid.

And surely everyone has one or more Zappers for programming the TV or other electronic equipment?

My dad always pronounced 'yacht' as 'yach-et', which is why I can spell it.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of strange made-up words from when the children were little. Chawdebbies (strawberries), shayhog (hedgehog) and mokey-troll (remote control) being the ones that immediately come to mind.
Anything you cannot remember the name of (usually a kitchen implement) is a tharg.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once I was out walking my dog and a little girl came up to me and, with no preamble, said: "I like marmalade, but I don't like the marmles."
Her mum explained, rather sheepishly, that she meant the bits of peel - which have been marmles to me ever since!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vehicle which goes around the roads clearing drains is a sludge-gulloper.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

I habitually refer to hors d'oeuvres by a term that describes the reproductive organs of streetwalkers.

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

quote:

I habitually refer to hors d'oeuvres by a term that describes the reproductive organs of streetwalkers.

Hors D'oeuvres are always horses duvers in our house
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
The vehicle which goes around the roads clearing drains is a sludge-gulloper.

In this family, leaf-blowers are referred to as anti-hoovers.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And surely everyone has one or more Zappers for programming the TV or other electronic equipment?

Interesting - these are hoofer doofers in our household!

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
quote:

We have several clickers in our house.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Once I was out walking my dog and a little girl came up to me and, with no preamble, said: "I like marmalade, but I don't like the marmles."

[Yipee] I live for conversations like that.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
quote:

We have several clickers in our house.
We call it kastje, which translated from Dutch means 'little cupboard'.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

My younger brother, when he was little, used to call a tape measure a "measurmer" and the word stuck over the years.

After my parents sold the family house in New York and were cleaning it out in preparation for moving out here to Arizona, we discovered the original tape measure that had given rise to the coinage -- humble as it may be, the Measurmer is now a family heirloom.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Lots of strange made-up words from when the children were little. Chawdebbies (strawberries), shayhog (hedgehog) and mokey-troll (remote control) being the ones that immediately come to mind.

Along those lines, I'll nominate "troll roll" for stroller (and hence the back-formation "troll" for the occupant).
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a doshwisher to wash the pots. Renamed by our son when he was two.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another nuker of food, aka putting it in the "ding" which originates from the sound of the bell on the microwave (the vintage analog timer variety) -- which of course we haven't used for donkeys.

There's zapper as already mentioned above and I'm sure we have several others but they will only occur to me next time I use them, hopefully while this thread is still active.
[Smile]

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I text 'froggie' to my daughter as a suggestion for dinner, she knows what I mean.

It is short for Froggy Doggie, which in turn comes from Toad in the Hole, made with chipolata sausages. Always home made, because she is coeliac. : )

And we use Poppety-ping for microwave. This is the genuine Welsh word, and far prettier than English.

Another useful word which I made up when young is 'scolly'. This denotes something so small as to be almost but not quite useless, which as I recall was first used of a pencil end.

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also; 'Gubbies' as generic term for Christmas lights and decorations, primarily those spotted from a moving car as you drive along the road, but by extension those inside your own house as well. From excited sound made by very young daughter, many years ago.

'Nungie' for ice cream, and 'nungie-man' for ice-cream man.

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, I worked in a small team in an office where a thingummy/whatsit/youknowtheoneImean was a 'George'. We got a new cat. A small cute furry George...

Tangentially, I was chatting to someone last week about words for when you can't remember the name of the doojammywotsit. Apparently they'd been told by a Spanish friend that such things don't exist in Spanish. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alicïa:
Another nuker of food, aka putting it in the "ding" which originates from the sound of the bell on the microwave (the vintage analog timer variety) -- which of course we haven't used for donkeys.

Indeed, that would require a large microwave.

For long and complicated reasons, Mrs. Eutychus' parents referred to their clothes horse as a "gurra" (which is Gujurati for "horse"). Her grandfather once went into Woolworths to try and buy a gurra and was met with much perplexity, or so the family legend goes.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Other Half's personal stereo is always referred to as his personal problem (anyone remember The Horizontal Epistles of Andromeda Veal?). Yes, I bought him an iPod instead but he never uses it.

We always call kitchen roll elephant's toilet roll.

Some friends of ours call their TV remote control the Fat Controller (I expect you can all guess where they got that idea from).

We have iffits meals too!

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a northern friend of mine, a thingummy jig is actually known as a "doomy-wang" (no idea why!)

The hand held blender is a zuzzer, and the verb is to zuzz

And the remote control is the dibber.

The phone is often (but not always) referred to as the "telling bone" which comes from a story but I don't know which. Stig of the Dump, perhaps? From the same place comes "telling vision" for television, but that has never caught on.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edward Eager in one of his magic stories (probably "The Time Garden" has some modern American children at the court of Elizabeth I, and I think telling vision came in there. Not sure about the phone, though. (EIR with here humanist education wouldn't have made that error in real life, I think, recognising the classical origin, if not the meaning.)
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
And we use Poppety-ping for microwave. This is the genuine Welsh word, and far prettier than English.

If its Welsh shouldn't it be spelt Ffoffedheigh-ffidhmh or something instead?

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A topical observation: my son, when small, used to think that the Daleks went "disterminate, disterminate".

My wife and I think that a Dalek in a Beauty Salon would say, "Exfoliate, exfoliate"!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friends and I had some neologisms that were actually useful to us back in the late '90s:

An overwhelming noxious fume, smell, etc., was a "Plathora," which could be a noun or adjective - unlike the more general term, "plethora."

To be darker, more goth, etc., than others was to "outshadow" others.

To be too happy or energetic for the mood of the rest of the group was to "overshine."

You see the swapping that was done to get those last two.

ETA: Oh, and the feeling of generalized depression/lack of motivation/apathy/boredom was referred to as "blagh." That was before the blog came into being, but, in our accent, at least, it's pronounced a little differently - the vowel is "ah" rather than the "aw" sound in "blog" or "law."

[ 26. November 2013, 19:25: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:

If its Welsh shouldn't it be spelt Ffoffedheigh-ffidhmh or something instead?
It's apocryphal - the actual Welsh word for microwave is 'meicrodon', 'don' being the (mutated) word for 'wave'. 'Microwave oven' is 'popty meicrodon'. Someone thought that 'popty ping' sounded better and it's been an urban myth ever since - and the Welsh Alex on this year's 'The Apprentice' used it as a name for his kids' microwave meals task.

Back on topic, the remote control (why does everyone have trouble with this?) is called a twitcher. It sometimes confuses visitors who think we're hiding a bird-watcher in the house. And a few years ago, when ITV ran films under the 'Murder, Mystery and Suspense' label, a family Spoonerism was born when the films were called Mister Murderies!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'm sure my nephew-in-law, great niece and nephew, who are Welsh, and my niece, who is mutating into Welsh, used something like popty-ping for microwave, and claimed it as Welsh - and isn't what people use what the language is? Can't you have new coinage as well as fossicking about for more correct forms as the French do? (And shouldn't a more correct form be using something derived from bach for the small element, rather than micro?)
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

quote:

Fannies...? [Eek!]

If we're on to names for thingummies, in our house we have whassnames and oojamaflits.

And telling bone was, I believe, Catweazle, who also talked about elec-trickery.

Nen - too young to remember such things... [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016