homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Thanksgiving Day

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Thanksgiving Day
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our US correspondents.

It would be good to know what you are doing, and eating, today.

Normal working day in old blighty. I may stretch to a pork chop for dinner.

Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am solo this year due to the academic calendar being short après T-day (no travel time and lots left to grade) so the feast is relatively simple. I am roasting a single turkey breast and have corn bread dressing, cranberry chutney, peas, and mashed potatoes for sides. All of which will give me several days worth of leftovers. Other than that I am settling in for the Harry Potter Weekend on ABC Family with the finale being Deathly Hallows Part 2 on Sunday. And that blasted grading!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Thanksgiving to all American shippies!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Triple celebrations this week: just back to the house after late breakfast with the in-laws and a dinner with them tomorrow with a dinner late this afternoon with friend's from my wife's church!

[Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We smoked two turkeys last night, and I made chicken & dressing, green bean casserole, mac & cheese, mashed taters, yeast rolls and deviled eggs. We put on a Thanksgiving feed at the bar, free of charge, for those folks who have no place to go. Last year, we had about 20-25 folks show up to eat, this year, we're expecting about the same.

I'm wore out, stuffed, and currently watching football with three old widowed men, having a large time.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just celebrated that Thanksgiving ritual: Eat the turkey liver with gusto in front of the disgusted family.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bess Higgs you are a saint. [Angel]

Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ended a tradition of going back and forth with the same family for many, many years (long story, which I won't go into here) -- having one friend over for a simple, quiet, stress-free dinner.

Went to church this morning -- no music or choir this year, and only about 15 people in the congregation.

(And I'm ignoring any ads that have "Black Friday" sales and won't set foot in a store tonight or tomorrow!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Bess Higgs you are a saint. [Angel]

Happy Thanksgiving one and all.

Not even close, but I do love to cook and I love to feed people and I know from personal experience that this particular holiday is really awful if you are forced to spend it alone. Plus, this way, I don't have to clean my house but I can still host a big feed [Big Grin]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I just celebrated that Thanksgiving ritual: Eat the turkey liver with gusto in front of the disgusted family.

Unless plucked raw and bleeding from a still-twitching turkey, I'm not sure why this disgusts. Gizzards, hearts and livers were all prized tidbits (with the neck, they were roasted alongside the bird, to enrich the gravy).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... turkey liver with gusto ...

How do you cook the gusto? [Big Grin]

I suppose some people just don't like the idea of liver, which I can understand. I make my own chicken-liver pâté, but I try to make it when D's out as it turns him off.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
I am solo this year due to the academic calendar being short après T-day (no travel time and lots left to grade) so the feast is relatively simple. I am roasting a single turkey breast and have corn bread dressing, cranberry chutney, peas, and mashed potatoes for sides. All of which will give me several days worth of leftovers. Other than that I am settling in for the Harry Potter Weekend on ABC Family with the finale being Deathly Hallows Part 2 on Sunday. And that blasted grading!

Hope you're having a good day Kyzyl, that turkey dinner sounds scrumptious. We have to wait until Dec 25th for our bird. Hope the TV is good.
Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen Mousie and I are settled in for a Thanksgiving on our own. I give thanks for not having to travel through Southern California, and for not having to deal with the Traditional Fruit Salad [Projectile] .

We have a leg of lamb in the oven, studded with garlic; we will be roasting sweet potatoes (red garnet yams) and serving broccoli and applesauce. There is a home-made cheesecake for dessert.

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Originally posted by Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear:
Queen Mousie and I are settled in for a Thanksgiving on our own. I give thanks for not having to travel through Southern California, and for not having to deal with the Traditional Fruit Salad [Projectile] .

We have a leg of lamb in the oven, studded with garlic; we will be roasting sweet potatoes (red garnet yams) and serving broccoli and applesauce. There is a home-made cheesecake for dessert.

Gladly

Enjoy.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do hope no one was having problems deep-drying their turkeys.

Happy Thanksgiving, and stay safe.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanksgiving here was pretty quiet. Since there were only three of us, we went out. By the luck of the draw, we got the server who really didn't want to be there, and had no problem letting us all know!

It was very relaxing, not cooking or cleaning up afterwards, but I really missed the aroma of roasting turkey, (and the superior flavor of the home-cooked bird) and most especially missed my family and friends who normally come to my home for Thanksgiving.

But, we three had a very good time together! It was a good day.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I do hope no one was having problems deep-drying their turkeys.

Happy Thanksgiving, and stay safe.

... and how Alton Brown does it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
menu was pretty traditional, here - roast turkeys, mash, candied yams (hate them), two kids of bread stuffing (hate that stuff even more), a GB casserole that never got near anything in a can so it was surprisingly yummy, mama's homemade bread, my homemade cran (from my Grandpa's recipe), gravy etc, and 4 damn pies. sparkling cider, ice tea, and coffee for afters as we were eating with a pregger and a recovering alcoholic.

When I worked at the bar we used to put on a dinner for the singletons, too. it's actually a lovely way to spend Thanksgiving! Go, Bess!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Thanksgiving away from my family....I was homesick and missed them so much.

We hooked up with Skype and they were all bar one (who is in NZ) together in our house and had done a great job with cooking the turkey, stuffing, yams,potatoes, squash, creamed onions, peas and pecan and pumpkin pies.
We celebrated here in Kenya with some cheese stuffed pretzels I'd brought with us as we couldn't cope with joining the 100+ US ex-pats here for the Thanksgiving feast!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Thanksgiving Feast was lovely again this year. I am extraordinarily THANKFUL that I have been adopted by friends who take me along to their daughter's home for the meal. Late in the day (5 pm this year), 7 people this year; turkey done on the outdoor grill rotisserie (sp?), chestnut stuffing, sprouts, green beans, mashed potatoes, a cranberry chutney that was to die for! and Christine's 'double pecan pie' (she doubles the quantity of nuts called for), with vanilla ice cream.
I needed this as a way to fend off memories. My late partner always spent the day cooking while I did the big choral eucharist at the cathedral.
Somehow Thanksgiving Day without a big service doesn't seem quite right, but it's not the tradition here.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

Yesterday was my first attempt to make chicken & dressing. It's basically cornbread stuffing with chicken bits added and baken in a pan rather than stuffed in the bird. After the 'fried Yankee dough balls' episode of a couple of years ago, I get very nervous cooking anything that is considered traditionally Southern but I gave it a whirl anyway. Both my father-in-law and my mother-in-law said I did a great job. [Yipee]

So, I'm feeling pretty proud of my self today.

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As is my tradition, I had pie for breakfast on the day after Thanksgiving. Yesterday I heard mass in the morning at All Saints, Ashmont. I went solo doing the full Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in my tiny apartment kitchen with its sad, electric, half-sized oven. The white meat was a bit dry, but the gravy was top-notch.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The white meat was a bit dry, but the gravy was top-notch.

Wheeze for next time - as observed in expat US nurse-type - get a large syringe and regularly inject the bird with pan juices.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BessHiggs: takes the service to the community award [Overused]

but

quote:
Originally posted by Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear:

Gladly

And I shall Fight! Fight! Fight! for dinner like that.

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to all in America and congrats especially to those who have eschewed Black Friday.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ended up with a quiet dinner home alone this year. I ended up trying Mark Bitman's spatchcock turkey recipe which takes about 50 minutes and was tasty and bought pies. I did my favorite cranberry relish (fresh cranberries, oranges with peels, sugar and a large dollop of Grand Marnier, all food processed to a coarse rubble and refrigerated overnight), and bought apple and pumpkin pies. I was so full I didn't even get to the pumpkin pie till the next breakfast.

I then read "The Chemistry of Tears".

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016