homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This is a great place. Seriously. (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: This is a great place. Seriously.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious for a moment, I agree with the OP, this is a great place.
Even when it hurts to post, perhaps especially then.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
The heading in Ruth's link mentions Joanne. Is it wrong that I would love to have witnessed her?

I always thought it would be awesome to witness a real-life hurricane, until I ended up in the middle of one while on holiday in Cuba last year. The reality on the ground isn't quite the same as seeing it on TV - what on TV is "wow cool! That tree totally destroyed that building!" becomes "oh shit! That tree is totally going to destroy the building I'm in!"

Such devestation may be kinda fun to watch from afar, but it's not something you should ever hope to experience yourself.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Having lurked (and loved it!) for a long time and then finally having come on board this summer I must confess to spending time trying to imagine what some shipmates look like and what their lives are really like especially when I've been captivated by what they've written....
I know, I'm odd... [Hot and Hormonal]
But this really is a great place to spend time, you're a good bunch of people and I'm very grateful to all of the hosts and admins who keep us afloat.

It's one of the Ship's better kept secrets that we actually all look like our avatars. (Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks so!)

Actually, isn't there a gallery somewhere? I never look at it because I don't want to be disillusioned.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
It's one of the Ship's better kept secrets that we actually all look like our avatars.

I find I'm less and less orange as I get older.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look pretty much like my avatar at the end of the summer (if we've had a summer, that is).

I've heard many reports about how hard Erin and the other admins had to work when the hurricane hit, so was very glad nothing like that ever happened when I was a host. Perhaps, Twilight, you don't appreciate what relentless work being a Host or Admin can be at times, without additional chaos to try to rectify.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year I recognised Adeodatus immediately from his!

[and he from mine, no doubt - at least nobody can call me two faced!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Having lurked (and loved it!) for a long time and then finally having come on board this summer I must confess to spending time trying to imagine what some shipmates look like and what their lives are really like especially when I've been captivated by what they've written....
I know, I'm odd... [Hot and Hormonal]
But this really is a great place to spend time, you're a good bunch of people and I'm very grateful to all of the hosts and admins who keep us afloat.

It's one of the Ship's better kept secrets that we actually all look like our avatars. (Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks so!)

I will eventually resemble mine, I'm sure.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
It's one of the Ship's better kept secrets that we actually all look like our avatars.
Oh dear.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

quote:
Oh dear.

M.

And it's 'Oh dear' from me too!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
the MW board transmorphed into a place full of AngloCatholic tat-queens discussing the minutea of how precisely a thurible needs to be swung and exactly what shade of scarf was right for the coming Sunday (or, more often rant about how their priest got it not quite right the previous Sunday). A legacy that still infects Ecclesiantics.

And there's a problem with that? [Disappointed] [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I look lik my avatar, that's why I picked it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Oh ... and perhaps sadly, I am told I do resemble The Old Bugga™

I only wish my bank account resembled his)

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I am told I do resemble The Old Bugga™

Never mind the money. Next question: are you married? Just askin'

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alan Cresswell: While her back was turned the MW board transmorphed into a place full of AngloCatholic tat-queens discussing the minutea of how precisely a thurible needs to be swung and exactly what shade of scarf was right for the coming Sunday (or, more often rant about how their priest got it not quite right the previous Sunday). A legacy that still infects Ecclesiantics.
I personally have the feeling that Small Fire (the Alt.Worship scene) fell a bit overboard with the merger to Ecclesiantics.

(PS I look like Jesus.)

[ 02. August 2013, 12:05: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been here since late on in my first pregnancy. That little baby is now an enormous 7-year old. I do use lots of other internet (other fora, twitter) but nothing keeps me coming back like the Ship has done.

A big thank you to the crew.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Although, I remember Erin commenting on a couple of occasions that she made a mistake at the time by assuming that people talking about MW reports couldn't get into a lot of trouble and therefore she didn't look in very often. While her back was turned the MW board transmorphed into a place full of AngloCatholic tat-queens discussing the minutea of how precisely a thurible needs to be swung and exactly what shade of scarf was right for the coming Sunday (or, more often rant about how their priest got it not quite right the previous Sunday). A legacy that still infects Ecclesiantics.

Which would have been fine had it not had to share space with Small Fire, which, true to the latter's name, was pretty comprehensively squashed.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I am told I do resemble The Old Bugga™

Never mind the money. Next question: are you married? Just askin'
[Killing me]

I'll ask kuruman!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

quote:
Oh dear.

M.

my avatar is an exact likeness of myself. right down to the pokey nose and whiskers.

eta: more facial fur than actual whiskers, I guess. I'm embracing the beard.

[ 03. August 2013, 00:46: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Money to the ship? Time for a new avatar I think.

And here it is. Thanks Simon.
Good one!
Yes, you look so much younger.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

quote:
Oh dear.

M.

my avatar is an exact likeness of myself. right down to the pokey nose and whiskers.

eta: more facial fur than actual whiskers, I guess. I'm embracing the beard.

I'm blonde and very pale but not often serious.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Adeodatus
quote:
It's one of the Ship's better kept secrets that we actually all look like our avatars. (Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks so!) Actually, isn't there a gallery somewhere? I never look at it because I don't want to be disillusioned.
Hilarious/ hideous thought!
Not sure how it would apply to my avatar....and not sure I want to know either.....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I'm blonde ...

We guessed.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian: The reality on the ground isn't quite the same as seeing it on TV - what on TV is "wow cool! That tree totally destroyed that building!" becomes "oh shit! That tree is totally going to destroy the building I'm in!"

Such devestation may be kinda fun to watch from afar, but it's not something you should ever hope to experience yourself.

I find hurricanes terrifying when I watch them on TV. [Eek!] I'd be a gibbering wreck if I were ever in the middle of a real one. We were living on the south coast when the UK hurricane of 1987 struck. [Eek!]

Nen - nothing like her avatar. Blue and square. Oh wait...

[ 03. August 2013, 21:00: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I'm blonde ...

We guessed.
[Big Grin]

Bottle blonde. [Razz]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016